2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted! Got my letter today, interview in November. SO Excited to go here!!!! Good luck to everyone else! :):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! Got my letter today, interview in November. SO Excited to go here!!!! Good luck to everyone else! :):):)

CONGRATS, future classmate!!! Isn't it an awesome feeling?? Are you an in-state or OOS applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)

CONGRATS, future classmate!!! Isn't it an awesome feeling?? Are you an in-state or OOS applicant?

Sup possible future classmates. I also got my letter two days ago. For you in-state guys, did any of you also apply to Tulane or Shreveport?

Regarding the admissions process - so far I have only been accepted at LSU, but I'm still waiting for a response from other schools. If I send the "I accept" letter back to LSU along with the $100 check, I can still "change my mind" and back out in the future right? For example, if Shreveport also accepts me next month and I decide for some reason that I want to attend Shreveport - can I still do that?

Sup possible future classmates. I also got my letter two days ago. For you in-state guys, did any of you also apply to Tulane or Shreveport?

Regarding the admissions process - so far I have only been accepted at LSU, but I'm still waiting for a response from other schools. If I send the "I accept" letter back to LSU along with the $100 check, I can still "change my mind" and back out in the future right? For example, if Shreveport also accepts me next month and I decide for some reason that I want to attend Shreveport - can I still do that?

You can, as long as you make that decision and inform them before may 15th. I emailed to withdraw earlier this week, still haven't heard back from them though. Think they're kind of slow about responding in general.

Were all the NFA people supposed to get a letter after the meeting on February 10th?

Were all the NFA people supposed to get a letter after the meeting on February 10th?
I was wondering the same thing. I interviewed before Christmas and got NFA but I haven't received any kind of letter yet...

I was wondering the same thing. I interviewed before Christmas and got NFA but I haven't received any kind of letter yet...

I think for that meeting they only sent out letters to those who they made a final decision on. If they haven't made a final decision yet about your application, they unfortunately may just leave you hanging.:scared: I know people who interview last year really early in the application cycle, got NFA, and didn't hear anything until May!

I think for that meeting they only sent out letters to those who they made a final decision on. If they haven't made a final decision yet about your application, they unfortunately may just leave you hanging.:scared: I know people who interview last year really early in the application cycle, got NFA, and didn't hear anything until May!
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of! Do you know if there another NFA meeting or will those who got passed over have to wait till May? All this waiting is gonna kill me!

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of! Do you know if there another NFA meeting or will those who got passed over have to wait till May? All this waiting is gonna kill me!

You definitely won't be waiting till May. Well, okay, you might if you get waitlisted, but at least that's better than NFA, maybe kinda sorta.

The two big remaining letter dumps are mid/late March and shortly after the big April 15 AMCAS traffic day. You'll hear something.

The best advice I have for you is to update your file with whatever you have been up to lately that may not be reflected on your primary or secondary applications (i.e. midterm grades, more LORs, volunteer work, new job, extracurricular activities, etc.). That way they'll see that you are still fighting for a spot and it will keep your name coming up at the committee meetings. Good luck! :luck:

The best advice I have for you is to update your file with whatever you have been up to lately that may not be reflected on your primary or secondary applications (i.e. midterm grades, more LORs, volunteer work, new job, extracurricular activities, etc.). That way they'll see that you are still fighting for a spot and it will keep your name coming up at the committee meetings. Good luck! :luck:
Thanks for the feedback (you too, scarshapedstar)! Yes, I had sent them updates right before this past committee meeting, maybe a bit too late.haha. And thanks, I really hope I get accepted here! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING ALL OF YOU THIS FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Hopefully May at camp tiger!

Speaking of Camp Tiger, I really recommend going if you're close to New Orleans. It's a great experience and you get to meet so many people that will be your classmates. The nighttime events are really fun, too.

Also, I would recommend going to the Camp Tiger Auction if you happen to be in town that night - it's also pretty fun.

Anyone happen to know when the committee meets again?

Stats of people recently accepted? I'm dying here :/

GPA - 3.9
sGPA - 3.9

MCAT - 27O, 10PS 7VR 10BS (took it once)

BS in Biochemistry
Minors: psychology and chemistry

Lots of volunteer and research experience

Good luck and hang in there! :clap:

can any current students offer their take on the pre-matriculation program? is it worth it?

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering how many people they accept for the program, as well as how does the application process work? In other words, how do they choose who makes the cut? I know that applicants must fill out the form and write an essay, but do they interview also? Any feedback would be appreciated! :thumbup:

can any current students offer their take on the pre-matriculation program? is it worth it?

Highly recommend it. The schedule is pretty light, and you get to do some great stuff. Highlight for me was premium shadowing experience, arranged through the school with pretty much any specialty. Money is pretty sweet bonus.

As to the application, I'm not aware of anyone who wanted to do it but was denied. Most people, perhaps quite rightly, would rather do something else with the summer before med school. But if it sounds appealing to you, I think you won't regret doing it.

Wow, just found this thread -very useful.
Question for you current applicants/acceptees
I plan on applying this June, in state. My oos ug school doesn't have a committee, does anyone know if the adcoms are willing to take a LOR from an MD you've done work/volunteer hrs/research with as a "science" letter?

Can't wait to start posting in the 2012-2013 thread!!!!!

Wow, just found this thread -very useful.
Question for you current applicants/acceptees
I plan on applying this June, in state. My oos ug school doesn't have a committee, does anyone know if the adcoms are willing to take a LOR from an MD you've done work/volunteer hrs/research with as a "science" letter?

Can't wait to start posting in the 2012-2013 thread!!!!!

This is from the LSU website. It should answer your question...

"It is strongly advised that applicants obtain their letters of recommendation from their school’s pre-professional/pre-med advisory committee. In this case, applicants should follow the pre-professional/pre-med advisory committee’s individual rules and deadlines for obtaining their letters. If an applicant chooses NOT to use their pre-professional committee or is no longer eligible to use their committee, the applicant must then submit THREE letters of recommendation from professors/teachers who have taught them in DIDACTIC classes in science and math. Letters from teachers/instructors of one (1)-hour lab courses WILL NOT be accepted. LSU School of Medicine will NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE AMCAS LETTER SERVICE; however, we do access the VirtualEvals letter service. Recommendations may be mailed to the Admissions Office, LSU School of Medicine, 1901 Perdido St., Box P3-4, New Orleans, LA., 70112. Additional letters, while not required, may be submitted for consideration by the Admissions Committee.

If you have been out of school for a short period of time (less than two (2) full academic years), and are unable to obtain a committee evaluation, you should make every attempt to get evaluations from at least three (3) faculty members IN THE SCIENCES from schools previously attended.

It should be noted that it is highly desirable that an applicant not have more than a two (2) year lapse between their most recent coursework and the application year. If you have been out of school for an extended period of time (more than two full academic years), you should still attempt to obtain faculty evaluations. If you are unable to do this, you should get letters from individuals with whom you work. It is strongly recommended that one of these letters be from your immediate supervisor or employer. In addition, you may have letters of evaluation sent from individuals who know you well; however, these should be limited to two (2) letters of reference."

I didn't do premat, but I recommend it to most anyone who asks, unless they have some great alternative option lined up for the summer. You get a stipend, get to meet some classmates, get a very light intro into what you'll be learning the coming year, and you get a good shadowing experience.

Had the interview today! Great school and facilities and thoroughly impressed. Committee meets 03/09 to decide fates.

does anybody know if we're getting decisions for feb invites this week?

Just wanted to pop in and say that from what I've heard from my sources, video recording/podcasting is set to begin next year.

Take that fwiw.

Just wanted to pop in and say that from what I've heard from my sources, video recording/podcasting is set to begin next year.

Take that fwiw.

yeah the test runs they've done for neuro are excellent. clearly, the technology is in place (and probably has been for some time).

yeah the test runs they've done for neuro are excellent. clearly, the technology is in place (and probably has been for some time).

:thumbup::thumbup: Just need to be able to speed them up now. Great format though

Please, nobody start telling tour groups about how you can travel the country watching lecture in your underwear, like at that other medical school... :whistle:

Good to hear about video recording/podcasts

Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances go out?

Would it be after the March 9th meeting?

i interviewed 2nd week of feb and didn't get anything..

maybe i got rejected =(

I interviewed in September and haven't gotten anything since my Nfa in October

Just got ACCEPTED yesterday!! Uber-ecstatic!! God is great.

Interviewed on 12/05, NFA on 12/21, Accepted 02/29.:soexcited:

Please, nobody start telling tour groups about how you can travel the country watching lecture in your underwear, like at that other medical school... :whistle:

ha! You must have had the same tour guide I had at that other school. lol. Yet another reason why I chose LSU.

Interview scheduled for March 21st.

I was wondering does anyone have the link to questions/what to expect from LSU:NO? I have a friend who's looking for it, but I can't seem to find it.

Any more commentary/input on the prematriculation program? As I understand, it really doesnt allow one to get ahead material wise?... Is there a facebook group set up for the class of 2016?

....And for those curious/anxious stats seekers out there, 31 and 3.6 here. NFA Fall, accepted mid Feb.

Best of luck!

Any more commentary/input on the prematriculation program? As I understand, it really doesnt allow one to get ahead material wise?... Is there a facebook group set up for the class of 2016?

....And for those curious/anxious stats seekers out there, 31 and 3.6 here. NFA Fall, accepted mid Feb.

Best of luck!

there is no prayer of getting ahead (and that isn't remotely an objective), but you get to meet some of the star professors and kind of pretend to be a med student. it's fun times.

facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/303999339631209/

Status
Not open for further replies.