2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have about a 35% chance of interviewing after LOR request. I wonder if those odds are higher this early in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah so if I was fee received June 22nd but have not yet received a LOR request does that mean I'm out of the running already lol

lol yeah I'm so bummed. got fee received 06/22 as well. :thumbdown:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Payment received 6/22. I just got the LOR Request at 1:33 AM, but I never got this "homoerotic" pre-req message some people mentioned. Maybe that message was sent only to people who hadn't finished pre-reqs by the time of application?

Does anyone know what %age of applicants pass this first screen?

Reposted from last year's thread, which was reposted from the year before:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)

personal statement is not read until after LORs are received.

42 MD-only spots available.

This means that you get a LOR request based on the strength of your ECs alone. There's got to be something specific in them that they're looking for in the ECs.

This also means that the interview invites are based upon the strength of the personal statement and the LORs.

Last edited:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews

This means that you get a LOR request based on the strength of your ECs alone. There's got to be something specific in them that they're looking for in the ECs.

This also means that the interview invites are based upon the strength of the personal statement and the LORs.

Exactly what i Was looking for. Although the information may have changed a little in 2 years, i'm sure they follow a similar model. Thanks! :xf:

If you do not have an LOR request yet, don't panic yet. If you look at last year's thread (around page four) you'll read many people who didn't get their LOR request until the 7th or even later, even though they were verified early.

If you do not have an LOR request yet, don't panic yet. If you look at last year's thread (around page four) you'll read many people who didn't get their LOR request until the 7th or even later, even though they were verified early.

So people should panic in six days, then? Heh.
Seriously, though, it never pays to read messages into Adcom timing or non-actions. In this process, it's never over 'til it's over, so if you haven't gotten a LOR request, all it means is... that you haven't gotten a LOR request yet.

YAY!!! I got a LOR Request too!!!:D

Good Luck to everyone else!

So people should panic in six days, then? Heh.
Seriously, though, it never pays to read messages into Adcom timing or non-actions. In this process, it's never over 'til it's over, so if you haven't gotten a LOR request, all it means is... that you haven't gotten a LOR request yet.

Yes, there is plenty of time to panic. Now is probably a touch premature.

None of us truly knows how an adcom works, and Mayo is one of the most inscrutable. It does no good to panic. Just breathe and write more secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOR request today. Excellent way to start the day

Aaaaah! Just opened my email to see the LOR request :D This completely made my day!

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews

So when do they consider GPA/MCAT? For the LOR Request or for the interview invite?

There's a minimum screen (LizzyM score of 60 = GPA * 10 + MCAT) to get the application looked at by Mayo. I assume that if you get the LOR request, you've passed that screen.

There's a minimum screen (LizzyM score of 60 = GPA * 10 + MCAT) to get the application looked at by Mayo. I assume that if you get the LOR request, you've passed that screen.

60 is not competitive at all...you can have a 3.5 and still only need a 25 for your app to be reviewed

Exactly. It's a very low screen, so pretty much everyone should be looked at.

Exactly. It's a very low screen, so pretty much everyone should be looked at.

It seems that about 20% of people get past the LOR screen (although it's more like 90% of SDNers, lol). I assume that if your LizzyM score is 60 or above, they invite you to submit an application fee.

That is my understanding as well. They'll be giving out the LOR requests for a while, and in about two weeks, we'll start seeing interview invites.

Yikes, such a nerve-wracking process. No LOR request here. Fee Received confirmation email on 6/22. Slightly discouraged to find an empty inbox...

Got the LOR request as well! But it's crazy that less than 20% of interviewees are actually offered admission :(

That is my understanding as well. They'll be giving out the LOR requests for a while, and in about two weeks, we'll start seeing interview invites.
Is this based on last year?

I received my LOR request today (yay!!) and the email said "Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference." Can I assume that my letter writers have added this on the letter already? I've already submitted all my letter to AMCAS and I'd hate to have to ask 5 people to resend them.

Yikes, such a nerve-wracking process. No LOR request here. Fee Received confirmation email on 6/22. Slightly discouraged to find an empty inbox...

yeah definitely had a second of "All is lost!" feeling but I've tried to bring myself back to the land of sane, happy people. :)

What's up with Mayo's one year of OChem lab requirement? Is that a typo or do you really need 2 semester of OChem lab?

I am happy to hear about so many LoR requests. To all of those who haven't received one yet I am sure it is a rolling process and yours will be in your inbox tomorrow morning at 2:33am.

Am I the only one wondering if it is possible that they are sending out more LOR requests than in years past? Or do SDN members just represent the top 20% of Mayo applicants.

This does seem like more than last year - at least more from the first day - but that could be just numbers. We're on and posting now, while if you look later in last year's thread, there were people who chimed in later that they received the LOR request early, but just didn't say anything until later.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Wait until we actually get to interviews, then perhaps we can make a general judgment.

I am happy to hear about so many LoR requests. To all of those who haven't received one yet I am sure it is a rolling process and yours will be in your inbox tomorrow morning at 2:33am.

Am I the only one wondering if it is possible that they are sending out more LOR requests than in years past? Or do SDN members just represent the top 20% of Mayo applicants.

This year they got back into the USNEWS rankings meaning I am sure they may throwing that net out a little more. I feel like there are more LOR requests being given out this year. Get ready for the slew rejections in the coming weeks...its not going to be pretty.:scared:

Does anyone know if the MD/PhD people get their LOR request or whatever later?...I have not received anything from Mayo..like at all..kinda worried

Does anyone know if the MD/PhD people get their LOR request or whatever later?...I have not received anything from Mayo..like at all..kinda worried

Same situation here. I wouldn't worry about it.

What's up with Mayo's one year of OChem lab requirement? Is that a typo or do you really need 2 semester of OChem lab?

I got the same email. My undergrad school where I took organic only had 1 formal lab during the second semester and the first semseter was a 4 credit hour lecture. I emailed the premed advisor there and he said a few schools have questioned it but are usually accepting of it if you point them to the undergraduate bulletin. I'll let you know how that works out for me at Mayo. Don't know if you're in a similar situation.

LOR Request :thumbup:
This morning five letters already assigned to this delicious institution.

Your 'Brief profile' response is priceless.

Thanks, I was going to post a side shot of my underpants but I figured stressed out pre-meds would interpret that to mean that I had invented a new, non-riding underwear as one of my many un-ascertainable unique amazing extracurriculars. :cool:

I received my LOR request today (yay!!) and the email said "Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference." Can I assume that my letter writers have added this on the letter already? I've already submitted all my letter to AMCAS and I'd hate to have to ask 5 people to resend them.

I am not sure about this. My letters don't have my AMCAS ID but they are coming from AMCAS so maybe they don't need it? Can anyone give some input?

I am a bit late here, LOR request on 6/30

I am not sure about this. My letters don't have my AMCAS ID but they are coming from AMCAS so maybe they don't need it? Can anyone give some input?

I am a bit late here, LOR request on 6/30

If they are coming from AMCAS, they will have your AMCAS ID. That's why you had to give your letter-writers an AMCAS LOR Request Form. If your letters are already verified with AMCAS, then Mayo already has them and this is just an informative email.

As for the LOR request, you're right on time with those of us who have already received it.

If they are coming from AMCAS, they will have your AMCAS ID. That's why you had to give your letter-writers an AMCAS LOR Request Form. If your letters are already verified with AMCAS, then Mayo already has them and this is just an informative email.

As for the LOR request, you're right on time with those of us who have already received it.

Thanks!

I was talking about the fact that I didn't post about the LOR request 2 days ago when I got it. That's blasphemous for SDN

Thanks!

I was talking about the fact that I didn't post about the LOR request 2 days ago when I got it. That's blasphemous for SDN

Well, technically that was this morning. You do mean 2:33 EST (or 11:33 if you're on the West coast)? That's 7/1 by Mayo's clock, which I suppose is the only important one.:laugh:

Well, technically that was this morning. You do mean 2:33 EST (or 11:33 if you're on the West coast)? That's 7/1 by Mayo's clock, which I suppose is the only important one.:laugh:

Then I guess I am in the clear :thumbup: :laugh:

Anyone else wait up until 1:33 AM CT to see if an email from Mayo arrives? :rolleyes:

Congrats to everyone who got Mayo LoR requests!! Especially Snuke since I know you've been staying up late waiting. Nice! Nothing here yet, but fingers still crossed!!

I got the same email. My undergrad school where I took organic only had 1 formal lab during the second semester and the first semseter was a 4 credit hour lecture. I emailed the premed advisor there and he said a few schools have questioned it but are usually accepting of it if you point them to the undergraduate bulletin. I'll let you know how that works out for me at Mayo. Don't know if you're in a similar situation.

I got this email too, and my school did something similar. I emailed them about it yesterday and then got an LOR request this morning, so I think they are somewhat flexible.

Anything new? More LOR?

And thanks faye :)

Nothing yet here, though with the long weekend, probably won't see any till Tuesday night/Wednesday early morning

I haven't received anything either, and I got one last year (as did you, Prateek?) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Same situation here. I wouldn't worry about it.

me too!! i wish there was a school specific thread for us... trying to figure out if it's the same admissions for all of these schools is stressing me out. but for this one i'm sure we're fine.

Hey guys,

Anyone send in their fee just before the long weekend?? Hear anything yet?

I mean not JUST before the long weekend lol

but a couple of days before...after the 6/22 date everyone is talking about???

Status
Not open for further replies.