2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@yeetbos congrats! did you get the call just now?

Members don't see this ad.

looks like the calls have stopped for today :( really sad and discouraged

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
looks like the calls have stopped for today :( really sad and discouraged
Don't worry yet! I felt really bad for a while today but I read this post on the MN thread that made me feel a lot better haha:
Just a quick word from a current Mayo student - as calls go out, do not spend one second of your time or ounce of your energy trying to read the tea leaves of who is getting what call when or what that means for you. I tried to do that during my cycle, had abandoned all hope of getting in, and then got the call VERY late one night aftee I had convinced myself it was over. So while it’s next to impossible to be patient, try to get your mind off it.

Since I happened to read this, if anyone who applied or has heard happy mews by getting a call, if you have questions about what Mayo’s like, feel free to message me. Happy to chat.

It looks to me like the interviewers call us and depending on your interviewer they could have drastically different availability/schedules. Don't worry just yet :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Sending some good vibes out for all of us tomorrow!

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Don't worry yet! I felt really bad for a while today but I read this post on the MN thread that made me feel a lot better haha:

It looks to me like the interviewers call us and depending on your interviewer they could have drastically different availability/schedules. Don't worry just yet :)
Thank you so much!! :) I appreciate it and I hope we both get some good news tomorrow!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Can acceptees chime in on when they interviewed? Apart from the two who said October, I saw some references to things happening a month after acceptees' interviews, so it does appear they are disproportionately early interviewers but would like to confirm. Thanks.

EDIT: The limited picture I can get from neurotically scouring this thread is that there is no evidence of January interviews being among acceptances. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I interviewed in November!

Got my acceptance call last night at 9 PM EST. Interviewed in October. I got an email for a zoom call with an administrator from admissions, and a call from my interviewer about two weeks ago to see if I had any questions. No highly ranked email.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted yesterday. I also previously received an email from my interviewer and an email from an administrator. No highly ranked email. Interviewed early October.

For all those also accepted, the portal says you have to accept/decline the offer within 14 days. Is acceptance of the offer binding? Thanks

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it over for AZ then? :( I know waitlists still have to be distributed though
They said calls start going out on the 22nd. I have a feeling they’ll be going out at different times this week otherwise they would have told us a specific date. I personally haven’t gotten a call yet and I think there’s still hope :)

Reactions: 11 users
How many acceptances do we estimate to have gone out? Accounting for those who do not report on SDN, is it possible that (initial offers for) half a class has been filled?
It’s hard to say but what I find the most interesting is the lack of Dec/Jan acceptances here. (Although I am biased since I am a December interviewee lol)

It’s hard to say but what I find the most interesting is the lack of Dec/Jan acceptances here. (Although I am biased since I am a December interviewee lol)
December interviewee for MN campus popping over to possibly agree. Rec'd "very highly ranked email," but no a dditional communication or acceptance. Hoping this is the case, but who knows...

How many acceptances do we estimate to have gone out? Accounting for those who do not report on SDN, is it possible that (initial offers for) half a class has been filled?
do we think the majority of the acceptances have already gotten out?

I’m also a December interviewee. Seems like yesterday’s calls were from the first 1/2 of interview season.

Reactions: 3 users
After being rather neurotic, it does appear in past cycles (last year is a little weird with the Rochester fiasco) that calls primarily went out the first day, a few the second day, and then maybe one or two the third day. Not trying to be pessimistic, but after a rather unproductive past two days, I think I will just hope for a WL with a Letter of Intent. No reported calls for AZ today is a little strange, but for such a small class, probably just less probability of reporting.

Reactions: 7 users
After being rather neurotic, it does appear in past cycles (last year is a little weird with the Rochester fiasco) that calls primarily went out the first day, a few the second day, and then maybe one or two the third day. Not trying to be pessimistic, but after a rather unproductive past two days, I think I will just hope for a WL with a Letter of Intent. No reported calls for AZ today is a little strange, but for such a small class, probably just less probability of reporting.
I think this is a very fair and reasonable assessment. And hey, I'd much rather they give out acceptances slow and methodical rather than clumsily sending out acceptances to everyone by accident and having to revoke them like the Rochester mess you mentioned.

I’m also a December interviewee. Seems like yesterday’s calls were from the first 1/2 of interview season.
Hello, I'm really sorry to say this but yesterday's calls where not limited to the first half of the interview season. I wouldn't lose hope! Based on previous years, the calls go on for at least three days. It is not based on your interviewers last name or first. They are donating their time so it is most likely whenever they are available. Keep in mind the AZ class size is very small so its unlikely the acceptances from today are active on Sdn.

mayo is the joshua to my olivia rodrigo :(
And I know I'm not perfect but I've never felt this way for no school
And I can just imagine how you could be so okay
I've been outdone

Guess you didn't mean what you wrote in email about me
'Cause you said "high ranking", but I cry, I don't have a seat

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I was accepted yesterday, later in the evening. I think there will be calls going out through at least Thursday and probably Friday this week.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
From a current M1 - “Acceptance calls are coming out all of this week and probably into next. It depends on when the interviewers have time in their schedule to make the calls.” Rooting for all of us :)

• Care
  • Love
From a current M1 - “Acceptance calls are coming out all of this week and probably into next. It depends on when the interviewers have time in their schedule to make the calls.” Rooting for all of us :)
Hi! I got my acceptance call 2 days ago. On the portal, it says that I have to accept the admission offer within 14 days. Am I allowed to hold other acceptances if I accept the Mayo offer? Thanks!

Thanks! Hoping this goes for MN too!!!

Hi! I got my acceptance call 2 days ago. On the portal, it says that I have to accept the admission offer within 14 days. Am I allowed to hold other acceptances if I accept the Mayo offer? Thanks!
Per AAMC guidelines, you can hold as many acceptances as you want until April 15 at which point you can only hold 3. Then a final decision must be made by April 30. All acceptances right now are non-binding.

Per AAMC guidelines, you can hold as many acceptances as you want until April 15 at which point you can only hold 3. Then a final decision must be made by April 30. All acceptances right now are non-binding.
However, those are only guidelines and the medical schools DO NOT have to follow them.
To my understanding, the medical schools can have different rules so it is best to follow up with the medical school about their policies.

Absolutely the worst time to get a spam call from someone with an AZ area code...

• Care
  • Wow
However, those are only guidelines and the medical schools DO NOT have to follow them.
To my understanding, the medical schools can have different rules so it is best to follow up with the medical school about their policies.
You're absolutely right, but the fact that they are guidelines, not rules that have to be followed, actually works both ways! :)

While dropping As as soon as you know you won't be attending is the right thing to do, since it is what ultimately facilitates WL movement, no school can see anything other than what action they have taken with respect to you until 4/30. Therefore, while dropping to 3 As on 4/15 is a guideline, it is unenforceable since no school can run a report identifying you until 4/30!

I respectfully disagree with the advice to follow up with any specific school regarding their pre-4/30 policies. Why call attention to yourself, when any so-called policy that might restrict your freedom of choice or movement is unenforceable anyway?

While I am unaware of any school that has any rules more stringent than the guidelines, absolutely nothing is enforceable until they can see what you are up to on 4/30. This will become a thing as 4/15 approaches and people are still undecided, or are still waiting for fin aid. Holding more than 3 As after that date is frowned upon, but nobody will know until 4/30, when most schools where you hold an A will require you to select either PTE or CTE, and they will be able to see whether you have done so and to take action accordingly.

You're absolutely right, but the fact that they are guidelines, not rules that have to be followed, actually works both ways! :)

While dropping As as soon as you know you won't be attending is the right thing to do, since it is what ultimately facilitates WL movement, no school can see anything other than what action they have taken with respect to you until 4/30. Therefore, while dropping to 3 As on 4/15 is a guideline, it is unenforceable since no school can run a report identifying you until 4/30!

I respectfully disagree with the advice to follow up with any specific school regarding their pre-4/30 policies. Why call attention to yourself, when any so-called policy that might restrict your freedom of choice or movement is unenforceable anyway?

While I am unaware of any school that has any rules more stringent than the guidelines, absolutely nothing is enforceable until they can see what you are up to on 4/30. This will become a thing as 4/15 approaches and people are still undecided, or are still waiting for fin aid. Holding more than 3 As after that date is frowned upon, but nobody will know until 4/30, when most schools where you hold an A will require you to select either PTE or CTE, and they will be able to see whether you have done so and to take action accordingly.
But Can the AAMC enforce this rule or would they reach out to you if you haven’t narrowed your list?

I think that everyone should narrow their lists just as the guidelines state to be fair to other applicants especially those on the waitlist

I think that everyone should narrow their lists just as the guidelines state to be fair to other applicants especially those on the waitlist
Or narrow them not just when required but as soon as they know they won’t be attending a certain school 👍🏼

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
But Can the AAMC enforce this rule or would they reach out to you if you haven’t narrowed your list?
AAMC can also do whatever it wants, but it has steadfastly taken the position that it is only there to provide the platform and tools, and does not enforce anything. Well, that's not entirely true, because they do enforce plenty with respect to the MCAT, etc. But, they do not, and never have, gotten involved in admission decisions. Given their fear of litigation, this is extremely unlikely to ever change.

The reducing to 3 by 4/15, really is just a guideline to start moving things along for those waiting until the last minute to make decisions. There is no need for anyone to spend a lot of time worrying about it, or to even try to enforce it, because reduction to one school, with enforcement, happens a mere two weeks later.

So............ is Mayo a place that is willing to negotiate financial aid? I cant realistically say other schools have offered more or anything bc my other As havent sent me that info yet and I’m going Mayo no matter what, but my scholarship offer suggests parental contribution is expected when they are most definitely not paying for anything.
I think for medical schools that require parental information, parental contribution is always expected. Unless you are estranged from one or both parents or something like that.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Awarded a full tuition scholarship! I knew Mayo was generous but I am honestly surprised. I was worried that submitting a LOIntent could be a detriment to the chances of receiving a scholarship but it appears that is not the case. LM 77 btw.

• Love
Awarded a full tuition scholarship! I knew Mayo was generous but I am honestly surprised. I was worried that submitting a LOIntent could be a detriment to the chances of receiving a scholarship but it appears that is not the case. LM 77 btw.
Do you know if that’s the max aid they offer?

If they're sending out scholarship info, does that mean they're done sending out acceptances :/

If they're sending out scholarship info, does that mean they're done sending out acceptances :/
I know a lot of people are stressing out right now so I thought I'd try to give as good an update as I could:

The Facebook group for Mayo Arizona accepted students has 43 members right now (with like 4 of them being admins). Take of that what you will, just wanted to provide some more info because I know everyone is trying to guess numbers and odds right now!

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I know a lot of people are stressing out right now so I thought I'd try to give as good an update as I could:

The Facebook group for Mayo Arizona accepted students has 43 members right now (with like 4 of them being admins). Take of that what you will, just wanted to provide some more info because I know everyone is trying to guess numbers and odds right now!

Thanks for sharing this info. To add, since I'm seeing a number of sad reacts, I'd probably wager this is more encouraging news than anything. Mayo's own website states they issued 174 acceptances for the 2020 admission cycle for an intended goal of 50 students each at Minnesota and Arizona (it actually ended up being 51 Arizona, 54 Minnesota). (Class Profile - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Mayo Clinic College of Medicine & Science.)

Given that they made acceptances in anticipation of roughly equal class size at both campuses, it is likely fair to assume the 174 acceptance offers are also roughly equally divided among the MN and AZ campuses. A perfect split would be 87 acceptances at each campus. With 43 members currently in the facebook group, of which approximately 39 are accepted students, even taking into account not all accepted students have joined the group yet, I believe it likely suggests anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of acceptances have yet to go out.

• Love
Thanks for sharing this info. To add, since I'm seeing a number of sad reacts, I'd probably wager this is more encouraging news than anything. Mayo's own website states they issued 174 acceptances for the 2020 admission cycle for an intended goal of 50 students each at Minnesota and Arizona (it actually ended up being 51 Arizona, 54 Minnesota). (Class Profile - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Mayo Clinic College of Medicine & Science.)

Given that they made acceptances in anticipation of roughly equal class size at both campuses, it is likely fair to assume the 174 acceptance offers are also roughly equally divided among the MN and AZ campuses. A perfect split would be 87 acceptances at each campus. With 43 members currently in the facebook group, of which approximately 39 are accepted students, even taking into account not all accepted students have joined the group yet, I believe it likely suggests anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of acceptances have yet to go out.
Thank you for this :) Are the 174 acceptances total acceptances including waitlist acceptances? If they make 174 initial offers then we are about 1/2 done for this week. If not, I imagine there are a few left for this week and most will come in the coming months?

Last edited:
Thank you for this :) Are the 174 acceptances total acceptances including waitlist acceptances? If they make 174 initial offers then we are about 1/2 done for this week. If not, I imagine there are a few left for this week and most will come in the coming months?

That's a great point. I was looking at acceptances overall and was not considering the difference between an acceptance now versus later off the waitlist. MSAR lists Mayo as having 300 WL spots from which 40 are offered acceptance. With this in mind, it looks like they are likely about 2/3 of the way through acceptances now.

For anyone who ends up on the waitlist, this might be a good time to remind that Mayo, as quoted from MSAR, accepts "regular updates and strongly consider letters of intent from waitlisted applicants." Best of luck to all!

Has RF already given people a phone call?

• Hmm
So............ is Mayo a place that is willing to negotiate financial aid? I cant realistically say other schools have offered more or anything bc my other As havent sent me that info yet and I’m going Mayo no matter what, but my scholarship offer suggests parental contribution is expected when they are most definitely not paying for anything.
Potentially. Experiences vary at Mayo. There's a few good threads floating around on scholarship negotiation. And yes, except in rare circumstances, at most schools your parental income is considered. I suspect most people's parents aren't paying for medical school, but stratifying according to med student assets wouldn't be terribly useful. Most of us don't have anything but debt.