2011-2012 Stanford Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question on the secondary....

I have a premed committee letter with other individual letters packaged in with it. AMCAS only has one letter entry for all of the letters, but Stanford says to list 3+ letters before the application is complete. Is anyone else in this situation and, if so, was your application complete with just the one letter? I could put down other letter names but they would never show as complete from AMCAS because there is only the one in that system.

Any feedback appreciated...good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Question on the secondary....

I have a premed committee letter with other individual letters packaged in with it. AMCAS only has one letter entry for all of the letters, but Stanford says to list 3+ letters before the application is complete. Is anyone else in this situation and, if so, was your application complete with just the one letter? I could put down other letter names but they would never show as complete from AMCAS because there is only the one in that system.

Any feedback appreciated...good luck everyone!

My application is complete with just the one letter listed, though I'm a packet of four letters. I thought there was an option or instructions on the first page or log in page of the secondary regarding that situation, but might be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Tryp. They said a packet was fine, but then the instructions looked like they needed three letters to be complete. I think you're right, I just wanted to make sure I'm reading it correctly. I also emailed them. If I get something different back, I will make sure to share here.

Good luck!

Thanks Tryp. They said a packet was fine, but then the instructions looked like they needed three letters to be complete. I think you're right, I just wanted to make sure I'm reading it correctly. I also emailed them. If I get something different back, I will make sure to share here.

Good luck!

I also submitted a packet of letters and it was only listed as one. It took them a few days to mark me as complete. I'm guessing if you only have one letter entry they might have to verify that it fulfills the requirements.

Wow that new teaching building is unreal!

What are you all doing for your diversity essay? I'm having a little trouble on this one, mainly because I feel an urge to just be straightforward without doing the fancy (and time-consuming) "story telling" approach I took for my personal statement.

How many of you are striving to "tell a story" with this essay? How many of you are just being explicit, openly listing/describing how you will contribute to diversity?

I think a narrative essay is more appropriate for the personal statement, which is far more open ended and has a much larger character limit. These essays have much shorter character limits. I think schools just want you to get to the point and not fuss around.

Finally received the secondary. Definitely one of my top-choice schools.

Received this email today. Oops!

Dear Mr. MonkfishSushi:

According to our records, you have not yet submitted your Supplemental
Application to Stanford School of Medicine. If you intend to submit
the application, we request that you do so as soon as possible, and
before the final deadline:
November 15, 2011.

If you intend to withdraw your application, please notify our office in writing.

You may check the status of your application (letters of
recommendations received and fee payment) at our website:
https://med.stanford.edu/aes/

The receipt of letters of recommendation may be delayed a few days
before it is updated on the status website.

Thank you for your interest in Stanford School of Medicine.

It is NOT necessary for you to respond to this email message.

Sincerely,

Char Hamada
Director of Admissions

sorry if this is a dumb question but is there a link or something where we can access the prompts? or could someone please post them? i'm applying MSTP and would like to get started on the dozen extra essays.

thanks!!

Wow Stanford only notifies you of their decision by mail... I knew this was a classy school.
(For some reason the thought of them spending the money to not only print out a rejection letter, but also paying for postage just sounds nice)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received another reminder to complete their secondary this morning. Oops again...

Wow Stanford only notifies you of their decision by mail... I knew this was a classy school.
(For some reason the thought of them spending the money to not only print out a rejection letter, but also paying for postage just sounds nice)

Ahahaha:laugh:, yes, that is class there.

Ahahaha:laugh:, yes, that is class there.

Apparently anything old-school and/or costs money is 'classy.'

Imagine a rejection later printed on parchment, sealed with wax, delivered in a big FedEx envelope.

No wait, people hate that.

Imagine a rejection later printed on parchment, sealed with wax, delivered in a big FedEx envelope.

Yeah, definitely no big envelope rejections. That would just hurt too much. Anytime I see big envelope I get high expectations.

If it was hand written in fountain pen and looked like a "Hogwarts SOM" letter, I might consider it being OK... maybe rejections could be Howlers or something.

If it was hand written in fountain pen and looked like a "Hogwarts SOM" letter, I might consider it being OK... maybe rejections could be Howlers or something.

... i legit just looked for a way to LIKE this comment!

I just got an email telling me to hurry up with the secondary :p

Anyone else having trouble with the diversity essay? TBH, I can't really point out what about me would bring diversity (I am a normal, mid-upper class male, etc), but I do feel like I would.

Finished mine a couple of days ago, just praying now.

Thanks. It's just that, I feel like a lot of these diversity essays expect you to be URM, grown in a lower socioeconomic class, gone through some ridiculous obstacle, even though I haven't. I'll come up with something though -- thanks.
Surely there is something different about you.

Start simple: what makes you different from your friends? (i.e. experiences while growing up, experiences at college, hobbies, interests, etc.)

...Then take those differences and inject them with enough flashy/dramatic collagen to make it plump enough for the diversity essay.

Thanks. It's just that, I feel like a lot of these diversity essays expect you to be URM, grown in a lower socioeconomic class, gone through some ridiculous obstacle, even though I haven't. I'll come up with something though -- thanks.

Though I can't say I've ever thought, "Thank goodness I'm underprivileged!"

These ambiguous, somewhat necessary questions engender very complicated, often conflicting feelings for everyone.

Though I can't say I've ever thought, "Thank goodness I'm underprivileged!"

These ambiguous, somewhat necessary questions engender very complicated, often conflicting feelings for everyone.

Percy! We are applying to so many of the same places!

Does Stanford accept upper level electives in place for AP Bio?

Yea i dunno why I took so long with this one when it's one of my top choices...

Done!

I just used my secondary from Mount Sinai. Hehehe!

Anyone else having trouble with the diversity essay? TBH, I can't really point out what about me would bring diversity (I am a normal, mid-upper class male, etc), but I do feel like I would.

I am in the same boat, white upper-middle class female, so I decided to talk about my high school. It's pretty low ranked and a ridiculous number of kids drop out, so I went on to say how I motivated myself to overcome imminent failure (well, I chose nicer wording...)

So...anyone have an idea of when the first invites will be sent out? From last year's thread it appears to be no earlier than September. I just want to know when I should be expecting my rejection is all..

How important is having a publication?
sigh too bad i don't think i can put being acknowledged in a paper.

Free tip: for those those who happen to be applying to both wake forest and stanford, you only have to write one essay.
biggrin.gif

Wake Forest prompt:

The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Stanford prompt:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Free tip: for those those who happen to be applying to both wake forest and stanford, you only have to write one essay.
biggrin.gif

Wake Forest prompt:

The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Stanford prompt:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

somebody plagiarized..

Do they notify you of interview invites by US mail as well?

"Was your enrollment ever interrupted during your undergraduate or graduate years, not counting summer term?"

I am taking a year off between undergrad and med school. Do you think this is the appropriate place to mention this fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.