2011-2012 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. You just don't know how good you did relative to the other waitlistees.I'm assuming its a random placement even though I know that's not true because the people added have an equal probability of doing better or worse performance wise.

But it doesn't matter because everyone is coming off the waitlist right?:xf:

Yeah, I'm really hoping everyone can come off the waitlist! :xf:

Yeah, I'm really hoping everyone can come off the waitlist! :xf:

I know of at least one person who didn't get off the waitlist last year... I really hope this year it exhausts!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been doing some more research and I found out the Army HPSP review board meets next week April 17-19. This could free up some more slots for those of us on the wait list when people get their scholarships.

I got a phone call from an area code I didn't recognize. I flipped out thinking it was USUHS...

..... "Do you have more than 10,000 dollars in credit card debt?"

--__--

So I've been doing some more research and I found out the Army HPSP review board meets next week April 17-19. This could free up some more slots for those of us on the wait list when people get their scholarships.
The Army HPSP selection board actually meets nearly every month and has since October, but I think you're right in that there will be some movement in the next couple of weeks.

I gave up my Navy seat today. Good luck all!

The Army HPSP selection board actually meets nearly every month and has since October, but I think you're right in that there will be some movement in the next couple of weeks.

I gave up my Navy seat today. Good luck all!

Best of luck to you! Too bad it wasn't an Army seat :D

I got a phone call from an area code I didn't recognize. I flipped out thinking it was USUHS...

..... "Do you have more than 10,000 dollars in credit card debt?"

--__--

Same thing happened to me a while ago, my heart rev'ed up and started to beat like crazy when I looked and didn't recognize the area code.

Hopefully we see more movement soon...

AH! I heard acceptances make great birthday presents! :D

Is there anyone on this forum who has or knows someone who has applied to USUHS while on active duty (in the Army)? I will be applying this summer and would appreciate any advice!

Same thing happened to me a while ago, my heart rev'ed up and started to beat like crazy when I looked and didn't recognize the area code.

Hopefully we see more movement soon...

Heres to hoping we will see some movement this week!!! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I officially get to join you fine folks on the waiting list. :)

Congratulations Evan. I hope to be seeing you in the fall. What service are you waitlisted for? Hopefully we will all be seeing some movement in the near future.

Congratulations Evan. I hope to be seeing you in the fall. What service are you waitlisted for? Hopefully we will all be seeing some movement in the near future.

Thanks guys!

I am on the Army waiting list, as I'm prior service from that branch.

Here's hoping for an active waiting list this year! :xf:

Thanks guys!

I am on the Army waiting list, as I'm prior service from that branch.

Here's hoping for an active waiting list this year! :xf:

I get that SDN users rep only a subset of usuhs applicants... but where are all the navy and air WL'ers??

I get that SDN users rep only a subset of usuhs applicants... but where are all the navy and air WL'ers??

Every time I see your s/n I think "so does the acceptance letter become an acceptance letter when you open the mailbox, or is it always an acceptance letter regardless of observation." :laugh:

Oh, and if my experiences are any indication, the Air Force waitlist people probably have their own (much nicer) forum with a championship golf course. :laugh:

I wish that were true. It would make the waiting easier if I were playing a couple rounds in the sunshine. <sigh>

Oh, and if my experiences are any indication, the Air Force waitlist people probably have their own (much nicer) forum with a championship golf course. :laugh:

Don't forget Olympic sized swimming pools and steak dinners! :p

anybody heard of any movement yet?

x2! How is there no movement this year? The past few years have had tons of movement and even some by now.

"they have not given their decision on any waitlist applicants."

This was in an email on Wed from admissions.

We have also been told there was a record number of applicants, and an extra interview date added to the schedule even later in Feb. I think this is further evidence that at this point they are holding off on moving any open slots until they have finished their initial review of all interviewees. Since I was Feb 2 and didn't get word until just after 10 weeks, that probably means at least a week or so more before things get moving, according to my hypothesis, since the last interviews were held two weeks after mine.

Once again, I could be full of it, but this hypothesis seems to be successful at predicting what's going on now.

We have also been told there was a record number of applicants, and an extra interview date added to the schedule even later in Feb. I think this is further evidence that at this point they are holding off on moving any open slots until they have finished their initial review of all interviewees. Since I was Feb 2 and didn't get word until just after 10 weeks, that probably means at least a week or so more before things get moving, according to my hypothesis, since the last interviews were held two weeks after mine.

Once again, I could be full of it, but this hypothesis seems to be successful at predicting what's going on now.

o man. I hope this doesn't change the exhaustive design of the waitlist.

:( Yeah. Really doesn't sound like it'll be the same as the last few years.

I doubt the record numbers of applicants is going to change their admissions system. @evanbaines' hypothesis is interesting to me because if he's right. I'd lean towards the notion that we won't hear anything up until the May 15 deadline.

Here is my reasoning: We both interviewed at the same day for the same service. However, there was a two week gap between receiving our waitlist letters. I'm assuming that there is a two week time period for reviewing each interview class. Which means they have two more classes to review with just under four weeks to go until May 15 so these time frames align.

They also might just be waiting up to see how many spots open due to waivers being denied or turn downs.

That being said any inferences we make are likely to be bad because we don't have a representative sample of each interview class on this forum.

I doubt the record numbers of applicants is going to change their admissions system. @evanbaines' hypothesis is interesting to me because if he's right. I'd lean towards the notion that we won't hear anything up until the May 15 deadline.

Here is my reasoning: We both interviewed at the same day for the same service. However, there was a two week gap between receiving our waitlist letters. I'm assuming that there is a two week time period for reviewing each interview class. Which means they have two more classes to review with just under four weeks to go until May 15 so these time frames align.

They also might just be waiting up to see how many spots open due to waivers being denied or turn downs.

That being said any inferences we make are likely to be bad because we don't have a representative sample of each interview class on this forum.

I'd also add that even if they had a record number of applicants and decided to add another interview date I don't see them changing the waitlist but instead adding more to the alternate list. I'd still think we are in good positions :)

I'd also add that even if they had a record number of applicants and decided to add another interview date I don't see them changing the waitlist but instead adding more to the alternate list. I'd still think we are in good positions :)

I think the wait list is a good spot and I am optimistic that a large proportion will be accepted, as seems to have been the case in the past. I just think this explains why we haven't seen movement yet. I think everything is running a few weeks later than in the past.

:( this waiting is killing me. I've been waiting since september to hear back. I'm going crazy!

:( this waiting is killing me. I've been waiting since september to hear back. I'm going crazy!

So we are in a bit of a predicament: USUHS is my only school, and we live in Nashville. My wife and I just got a solid offer on our house (which is huge considering that this is still a tricky market), but obviously it will be a bit tough for us If I don't get in. So I called the admissions office to ask about how one's chances really stand on the waiting list, and explained my situation.

Some info straight from the admissions office:
1. The last few years, the waiting list behavior has not necessarily reflected the overall historical trends.
2. She specifically said that it would not be accurate to say that typically most of the waiting list gets admitted. She said the proportion varies significantly for different services in different years, although by virtue of having the most slots, the Army often moves more.
3. She said that if I were able to wait about two weeks, I might have a much better idea of how things are likely to play out. (we won't be able to wait on this offer, and will have to decide one way or the other before finding out about my admissions status)

So there you have it folks.

So we are in a bit of a predicament: USUHS is my only school, and we live in Nashville. My wife and I just got a solid offer on our house (which is huge considering that this is still a tricky market), but obviously it will be a bit tough for us If I don't get in. So I called the admissions office to ask about how one's chances really stand on the waiting list, and explained my situation.

1. The last few years, the waiting list behavior has not necessarily reflected the overall historical trends.
2. She specifically said that it would not be accurate to say that typically most of the waiting list gets admitted. She said the proportion varies significantly for different services in different years, although by virtue of having the most slots, the Army often moves more.
3. She said that if I were able to wait about two weeks, I might have a much better idea of how things are likely to play out. (we won't be able to wait on this offer, and will have to decide one way or the other before finding out about my admissions status)

thanks for taking the time to post the info. Its not quite what I wanted to hear, but its good to be a little less in the dark. I guess we will wait another couple weeks and see again.

So our own confirmation and selection bias strikes again!

With that in mind it does make a big difference on whether the admissions office treats the waitlist as one big pool of applicants (likely) or as separate waitlists for each service (unlikely). Then you could have little movement in the Air Force, Navy, and PHS open slots and tons in the Army and still have a minority of the waitlist moved.

But, I'll just keep waiting.:bang:

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know something.

Last Year 247 acceptances were offered for 171 spots...

I haven't been posting for a while since I didn't have anything positive or informative to add...

But remember this little piece of info pelican shared with us almost a month ago ppl, so keep your heads up we're on the last stretch. And thanks evan for continuing to keep us in the loop.

I haven't been posting for a while since I didn't have anything positive or informative to add...

But remember this little piece of info pelican shared with us almost a month ago ppl, so keep your heads up we're on the last stretch. And thanks evan for continuing to keep us in the loop.

Actually it's even better than that. Based on the blue sheet they handed out at the interview, they actually sent out 274 admissions offers for 171 spots last year. I completely agree with you though. It's certainly time to be excited and not time to start losing hope.

Actually it's even better than that. Based on the blue sheet they handed out at the interview, they actually sent out 274 admissions offers for 171 spots last year. I completely agree with you though. It's certainly time to be excited and not time to start losing hope.

I definitely didn't post to discourage anyone... I just wanted to share what I was told by admissions directly.

I am still cautiously optimistic.

I still got hope...We can all start to worry if its mid-june and we are still all here waiting by the phone until then we just gotta keep our heads up :)

I definitely didn't post to discourage anyone... I just wanted to share what I was told by admissions directly.

I am still cautiously optimistic.

Yea no I hear ya loud and clear!! I took your post as being informative of our situation, not decisive of our current "predickle"

Just keeping the cautious optimism alive while we wait longer. wow so 274 huh. :xf: let's break 300 lol.

I think come first year, this group of SDN waitlisters will become very good friends. =)

I think come first year, this group of SDN waitlisters will become very good friends. =)
I am pretty surprised theres only a small amount of us waitlisters actively posting...figured there would be more!

I am pretty surprised theres only a small amount of us waitlisters actively posting...figured there would be more!
Maybe we should inform the Admissions committee so they know how interested we are and boost our chances.:D

evanbaines said:
She said that if I were able to wait about two weeks, I might have a much better idea of how things are likely to play out.

Does this mean the tsunami of movement is coming?

Maybe we should inform the Admissions committee so they know how interested we are and boost our chances.:D
Haha I am guilty of having sent Dr. Calloway a few e-mails! I just got off with the office of admissions asking about whether they recieved my change of preference (to no pref) since I got no e-mail and while I was at it I figured I would ask about movement and she did say that the waitlist has moved just not that much and they don't really see it moving much til May 15

I'm also on the wait list. I applied late the previous cycle and interviewed in January 2011. All spots were fill by that time, I was wait listed Navy and never was pulled from the wait list. This cycle I applied early, but a paperwork error caused a delay and I interviewed on 6 Oct, the fourth interview day available. That was the first interview day anyone was wait listed and I was one of them (Navy). I am a prior officer, drilling in the reserves, and a USNA grad.

Wait list movement at all schools really starts to pick up approaching the May 15th deadline. All we can do is sit and wait. Anything else is speculation.

I'm also on the wait list. I applied late the previous cycle and interviewed in January 2011. All spots were fill by that time, I was wait listed Navy and never was pulled from the wait list. This cycle I applied early, but a paperwork error caused a delay and I interviewed on 6 Oct, the fourth interview day available. That was the first interview day anyone was wait listed and I was one of them (Navy). I am a prior officer, drilling in the reserves, and a USNA grad.

Wait list movement at all schools really starts to pick up approaching the May 15th deadline. All we can do is sit and wait. Anything else is speculation.

That's a heck of a tough wait for what sounds like a very qualified applicant. My hat is off to you sir and truly the best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.