2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think your rejected yet, they are probably doing mostly instaters first.
I could be wrong though.

For the people who are reapplying there are 6 essays this year...wernt there only 2 or 3 last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received, OOS, can't access it until the day after you receive the invitation.

Secondary received, OOS, can't access it until the day after you receive the invitation.

did you try to access it?

I was able to access mine. I didn't receive any error message. Maybe because my name is in the beginning of the alphabet I was added earlier?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think your rejected yet, they are probably doing mostly instaters first.
I could be wrong though.

For the people who are reapplying there are 6 essays this year...wernt there only 2 or 3 last year?

The question about what you've done to learn another language is new. So is the question about caring for an ill family member/patient and the question about a challenge you faced.

So to answer your question, yes. There's about double the number of essays as last year.

The question about what you've done to learn another language is new. So is the question about caring for an ill family member/patient and the question about a challenge you faced.

I like your avatar by the way. Are you currently at Zona?

I actually dont mind those last two essays at all because I have essays for those questions written up for other secondary so it makes my job a little easier

Yay, just got the email for Tucson secondary. Good thing I've lived overseas so I can answer the new language question.

Wait quick question for those of you with secondary invites: did any of you apply only to the phoenix school? I did, so I am wondering if someone that did as well received a secondary.

Graduated last year, but I currently live in Tucson.

gotcha your a year ahead of me, I'll be in tucson for atleast one more year..hopfeully 5 though :xf:

im OOS got 2ndary but im from cali (maybe they r giving them to AZ and neighboring states first?)

Members don't see this ad :)
got secondary invite too :clap:

AMCAS verified today; got rejection letter today. I'll live with it. Plan on emailing friend in admissions who said to apply and said that I would get past their screens.

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus.

We have been fortunate to attract a large number of highly qualified candidates for our limited number of seats this year. The number of such candidates precludes the ability to invite all applicants to complete a secondary application. After a thorough review of your 2012 AMCAS application, we sincerely regret to inform you that we are unable to consider you further.

We hope that by notifying you of our decision at this time, you will be able to direct your efforts toward those schools where your opportunities are more favorable. We wish you the best of luck with your educational career.

Sincerely,
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Admissions Office
Tucson Campus"

Last edited:
AMCAS verified today; got rejection letter today. I'll live with it. Plan on emailing friend in admissions who said to apply and said that I would get past their screens.

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus.

We have been fortunate to attract a large number of highly qualified candidates for our limited number of seats this year. The number of such candidates precludes the ability to invite all applicants to complete a secondary application. After a thorough review of your 2012 AMCAS application, we sincerely regret to inform you that we are unable to consider you further.

We hope that by notifying you of our decision at this time, you will be able to direct your efforts toward those schools where your opportunities are more favorable. We wish you the best of luck with your educational career.

Sincerely,
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Admissions Office
Tucson Campus"
may I ask ur stats?

Got the secondary, in state. It says that all of the pre reqs have to be finished by spring 2011??? I hope this is a mistake and they mean 2012. It would make no sense otherwise since they ask you to list classes in progress (which would be after spring).

Also, there are a ton of essays, but I have to say I wish other med schools had similar ones. Like the one about "do your grades/mcat adequately reflect your potential" and the one about foreign languages and cultural experiences. It really seems that UA is trying to get a much broader picture of you as a individual, where as a lot of other schools just want you to tell them why they are awesome. If the fact that I live in Tucson and own property here was not enough already, this secondary really makes me want to go to UA even more!

Also, there are a ton of essays, but I have to say I wish other med schools had similar ones. Like the one about "do your grades/mcat adequately reflect your potential" and the one about foreign languages and cultural experiences. It really seems that UA is trying to get a much broader picture of you as a individual, where as a lot of other schools just want you to tell them why they are awesome. If the fact that I live in Tucson and own property here was not enough already, this secondary really makes me want to go to UA even more!
but they are 350 or less words so its not like a huge essay...more like short answers lol and yea i love the questions it really lets u put urself out there on life experiences

I agree. The foreign language question and the GPA/MCAT one were awesome -- I did more than regurgitate my primary.

Best secondary ever - submitted 7:30 this morning, now just need to mail my signature page/check on the way to classes. Here's to spending 4 more years in the Old Pueblo.

I got the complete e-mail today. Hoping for an interview!

hey, does anyone know if out-of-state residents have to submit the domicile affidavit with the secondary? i didn't think so, but just wanted to confirm..

Is anyone else having trouble coming up with something good to say for essay #3? I mean, I've done clinical volunteering, but I wasn't responsible for anyone's care... a lot of the time I was doing scut work. I helped them out while they were in the ER, but I'm only there for 4 hours a week. I don't feel like I'm "responsible for the care and well-being of someone else"

Is anyone else having trouble coming up with something good to say for essay #3? I mean, I've done clinical volunteering, but I wasn't responsible for anyone's care... a lot of the time I was doing scut work. I helped them out while they were in the ER, but I'm only there for 4 hours a week. I don't feel like I'm "responsible for the care and well-being of someone else"

Same. I have experience as a volunteer and scribe but I've never been really "responsible" for someone's care and well-being. I guess I also cared for my grandpa before he passed away but again, it was really the ICU doctors and nurses that did the important stuf. What kinds of experiences do they expect someone who is PRE-med to have?

Same. I have experience as a volunteer and scribe but I've never been really "responsible" for someone's care and well-being. I guess I also cared for my grandpa before he passed away but again, it was really the ICU doctors and nurses that did the important stuf. What kinds of experiences do they expect someone who is PRE-med to have?

agreed, but i think they will understand that as pre-meds we were never FULLY in charge of somebody's well being at something like a volunteer job

I got the complete e-mail today. Hoping for an interview!

For those who have gotten this email, is this the same email that says all the secondary materials have been received? I didn't know if they send an email after that when letters of recommendation are received and the app is sent to the Committee for review..

Thanks!

For those who have gotten this email, is this the same email that says all the secondary materials have been received? I didn't know if they send an email after that when letters of recommendation are received and the app is sent to the Committee for review..

Thanks!

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. I guess it didn't specifically say "complete " I think ..

Does UA wait for your primary to send out the secondary? Or do they just send it out ahead of time? Anyone receive it before being verified? Thanks!!!

They don't know you're applying there until they get the primary, so no secondary until you are verified. Are you still waiting to be verified?

I submitted the online portion this morning and just dropped my check in the mail. I hope we hear soon about interviews!

They don't know you're applying there until they get the primary, so no secondary until you are verified. Are you still waiting to be verified?

Well, when you submit your amcas, the schools on your list are immediately notified. They just know that someone submitted their primary, and theyre waiting to be verified. The majority of schools will actually send you their secondaries before you are verified. For example, I submitted my amcas yesterday, and Ive gotten three secondary applications today. I got one from BU like 6 hours later actually! So schools do know that you are applying there even if you have not been verified.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw on their website that they screen. At least thats what I can deduce from the chart on their website showing that the number of secondary invites sent out < total number of applicants.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize AMCAS worked that way. In that case, I am not sure if UA screens the secondary or not. From the 2011 season results, it looks like they do since not everyone gets a secondary. I would assume you'll need to be verified for them to do that, but don't take anything I say too seriously since your guess is as good as mine. :oops:

Best secondary ever - submitted 7:30 this morning, now just need to mail my signature page/check on the way to classes. Here's to spending 4 more years in the Old Pueblo.

LOL how is this the best secondary ever?! It is the longest, most time-consuming one I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot of secondaries...

The only other secondary I got that's as long as this one is Loyola's. It took me several days to write all of these essays, but I'm glad I'm done with it now.

Its the best secondary cause its not a bunch of BS about why you love their school blah blah blah. It actually allows you to show a more holistic view of yourself based on more than just numbers and ECs. A little time consuming, i will agree. But I could answer each question honestly and from my heart pretty quickly instead of having to search school websites to find their unique curriculum or student organizations, etc.

Its the best secondary cause its not a bunch of BS about why you love their school blah blah blah. It actually allows you to show a more holistic view of yourself based on more than just numbers and ECs. A little time consuming, i will agree. But I could answer each question honestly and from my heart pretty quickly instead of having to search school websites to find their unique curriculum or student organizations, etc.
So what'd you write for essay #2?:confused:

So what'd you write for essay #2?:confused:

Nevermind I found my saved answers. I don't know if i saved these prompts in the order they were listed, but if you are talking about the one about cultural sensitivity then I wrote about the fact that I lived in Belgium and South Africa, spent two months in Moldova living with a local family, spent 2 months in South America backpacking and working at childrens centers, and have worked in Nogales with the border population and on the San Xavier Reservation so I have come in contact with a myriad of different religions and cultures and what that has taught me about acceptance etc. etc. etc.

Nevermind I found my saved answers. I don't know if i saved these prompts in the order they were listed, but if you are talking about the one about cultural sensitivity then I wrote about the fact that I lived in Belgium and South Africa, spent two months in Moldova living with a local family, spent 2 months in South America backpacking and working at childrens centers, and have worked in Nogales with the border population and on the San Xavier Reservation so I have come in contact with a myriad of different religions and cultures and what that has taught me about acceptance etc. etc. etc.
Those sound like some interesting experiences. I'm talking about the essay prompt where you explain why you want to go to Arizona... since you were saying that you hate those type of secondaries but Arizona had the same question. Don't worry about it, I was just being sarcastic. I understand your point, but I still don't like writing all these essays!

Not being able to send your picture and fee in online is pretty lame zona. It wastes my time and their time.

Not being able to send your picture and fee in online is pretty lame zona. It wastes my time and their time.

Because U of A and the city of Tucson are known for groundbreaking innovation...
:rolleyes::cool::idea:

Because U of A and the city of Tucson are known for groundbreaking innovation...
:rolleyes::cool::idea:

Are you describing the internet as "groundbreaking innovation"?

Because many lower less advanced institutions have accomplished "groundbreaking innovation".

Are you describing the internet as "groundbreaking innovation"?

Because many lower less advanced institutions have accomplished "groundbreaking innovation".

What part of the brain detects sarcasm?

Well whatever it is, you need to get yours checked out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.