2011-2012 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my interview today and it was pretty cool. The whole day was really laidback. The most impressive thing, in my opinion, was lunch. It was AMAZING! They make a decision on your file the friday after you interview. They will let you know by snail mail if you have been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. They mail this decision to everyone on Oct. 15th (if you interview before this day).

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to send in my email about student hosting... do you guys think it would just reflect badly upon me if I emailed now? :oops:

Relatedly... is anyone else interviewing on Sep. 20? :hello:

Forgot to send in my email about student hosting... do you guys think it would just reflect badly upon me if I emailed now? :oops:

Relatedly... is anyone else interviewing on Sep. 20? :hello:

You can always try, but it might be more difficult to find you a host on such short notice. Especially since the first years just took over and probably don't have a strong infrastructure in place yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always try, but it might be more difficult to find you a host on such short notice. Especially since the first years just took over and probably don't have a strong infrastructure in place yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I know it's a long shot... Everything has just been so chaotic in the past few weeks and it got away from me.

I had my interview today and it was pretty cool. The whole day was really laidback. The most impressive thing, in my opinion, was lunch. It was AMAZING! They make a decision on your file the friday after you interview. They will let you know by snail mail if you have been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. They mail this decision to everyone on Oct. 15th (if you interview before this day).

That's rather convenient, being that Friday is a day after my interview. So we have to sit in limbo until the 15th. Arrrgh.

Well, it's been a month since submitting the secondary and I haven't heard anything yet (not a huge surprise - OOS, marginally better than avg stats. . . I'm trying to be patient!:xf:). Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody knows if UVA welcomes "in the area" inquiries. I'm going to be in West Virginia for an interview next month, and would really like to jump down to Charlottesville while I'm on that side of the country.
Thanks for your input. . .

Well, it's been a month since submitting the secondary and I haven't heard anything yet (not a huge surprise - OOS, marginally better than avg stats. . . I'm trying to be patient!:xf:). Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody knows if UVA welcomes "in the area" inquiries. I'm going to be in West Virginia for an interview next month, and would really like to jump down to Charlottesville while I'm on that side of the country.
Thanks for your input. . .

never hurts to ask. the worse they can say is "we will let you know".

Did University of Virginia tell you who you were interviewing with in advance and give a page with their brief bio, or am I mixing that up with a different school? I thought it was this school that did that but I can't seem to find that page again.

Pretty sure it's not here; you may be thinking of Michigan.

Did University of Virginia tell you who you were interviewing with in advance and give a page with their brief bio, or am I mixing that up with a different school? I thought it was this school that did that but I can't seem to find that page again.

Yeah, UVA doesn't tell you who you interview with until the day of.

When do Interview invites keep going out until? I applying in July, so if I haven't heard back yet, does that mean there is a slim chance for success?

are people who are getting interviews lately still seeing the same quick turnaround we saw a month ago, or have things slowed down for everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys, UVa knocked my socks off on the interview day. I want to go here so bad!

It's all about the lunch! haha. In all seriousness though, good luck all.

shameless plug: UVA has such a great mix of superior education, friendly clinical attendings, SUPER financial aid support, and sense of tradition/history.

There is a med school specific graduation, but we also walk the lawn (area of the undergrad campus that's a huge grassy area surrounded by Jeffersonian buildings) for graduation. They seat everyone graduating...undergrads, grad students, law students, med students on the lawn during graduation by school.

During graduation they announce each school division and you stand as the head of the school confers your degree to you. The med school literally sits front and center...in front of thousands graduating and watching....one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It really gives you an utterly overwhelming sense of what you've accomplished and how important it is.

My app has been complete for over a month, and I'm starting to get worried. Does UVA send out actual rejections, or does no email mean a no? Thanks!

My app has been complete for over a month, and I'm starting to get worried. Does UVA send out actual rejections, or does no email mean a no? Thanks!

I've already said it twice, but I'll say it again. Don't worry if you haven't gotten an interview invite yet. It's not even October. UVA invites top candidates during the first few months, and then invites other applicants. They interview through February. So relax, you still have plenty of time to get an interview. A good portion of my class interviewed in December through February, so a late interview doesn't mean a rejection either.

Last edited:
scheduled interview for 10/31!

...I'm confused about the timelines for all of the VA schools in general though; I didn't submit my secondary for UVA until a few weeks ago and I have an interview already...vs. places like VCU/EVMS where I was complete months ago and haven't heard anything?

RJ- don't think its limited to VA schools. Each school has a different algorithm. Some are quick, some aren't. Some you will hear from, some you never will until the end of the year. Some schools you would never expect an interview from will give you one, and the place you thought you'd get one will pass you over. Can't sweat it. Congrats on the interview at UVA!

Had my interview today (anyone else on here there too?). Really loved the school. Everyone I talked to seemed really happy to be a student there. I stayed with a student host and the 1st years I talked to seemed to be enjoying the new curriculum. I was really impressed with how much effort the school put into organizing content for students to keep them on track and informed about what they were expected to learn/know . True P/F system with no internal rankings other than AOA purposes.

The interview was really laid back so for those of you with upcoming interviews relax a little.

... the humidity almost killed me :)

I had mine today. Really, everyone was thrilled to be there, the curriculum sounds great, the resources great (especially for the area), and the food was amazing. I was expecting to like UVa, but my expectations were blown.

Has anyone been rejected from UVA yet? Or do they have set day where they notify everyone who didn't make the cut?

...and the food was amazing.

Before you get your hopes up too high, don't expect to eat like that regularly. That restaurant is only available to faculty and graduate students with meal plans (those who live on the Range).

We're having Chick-Fil-A on Tuesday for lunch. That's an extra special treat.

Before you get your hopes up too high, don't expect to eat like that regularly. That restaurant is only available to faculty and graduate students with meal plans (those who live on the Range).

We're having Chick-Fil-A on Tuesday for lunch. That's an extra special treat.

We were informed of this - I was merely impressed about how UVA went all out. For once, it wasn't sandwiches!

I could also get behind some Chick-Fil-A. Can't get the goods up here in the north, which is sad.

Hey guys,
I am interviewing here next week, but have not received a confirmation email regarding when/where the morning starts.

10 AM in the new building?

Hey guys,
I am interviewing here next week, but have not received a confirmation email regarding when/where the morning starts.

Yeah, in Claude Moore, not McKim as I mistakenly thought... :oops:

Lol, thanks. Did you receive an email with all the info?

No, only that it started at 10. I wandered around McKim until I found out the admissions office had been moved, lol.

Hey guys,

I got the information in the invite e-mail which described the day, where to go, where to park, how to find a student host, etc.

I got the information in the invite e-mail which described the day, where to go, where to park, how to find a student host, etc.

Wow, I feel like an idiot, lol.
They sent me that email way back in August, and I just completely forgot about it.

Yeah, in Claude Moore, not McKim as I mistakenly thought... :oops:

This may also seem really obvious, but make sure you don't go to the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library or the Claude Moore Nursing Education Building. They're all within a block of each other.

The MEB has the giant round glass windows in front. It's kinda hard to miss, but we still have people who get the buildings mixed up.

This may also seem really obvious, but make sure you don't go to the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library or the Claude Moore Nursing Education Building. They're all within a block of each other.

The MEB has the giant round glass windows in front. It's kinda hard to miss, but we still have people who get the buildings mixed up.

Ah, good point. I forget that all the buildings have such similar names sometimes.

For OOSers, will the school consider you in-state for tuition purposes after attending for a year or two?

For OOSers, will the school consider you in-state for tuition purposes after attending for a year or two?

No. There may be an exception if you marry a VA resident. A guy in our class did this over the summer, but I haven't checked to see if his petition for in-state tuition was granted or not.

as mvenus said, they do not give you in-state tuition after 2 years. However, UVA is very generous with their financial aid. It isn't guaranteed to everyone, but from what I have seen, most everyone gets some form of aid. Over the course of 4 years, my "needs-based" OOS scholarship will be worth about $70K, making UVA cheaper (when I made my calculations last year) than other schools that allow you get IS tuition after 2 years.

Likewise, UVA is very generous with their definition of "needs based". My family (i.e., my parents) are by no means millionaires, but they both have good jobs that afford a comfortable lifestyle. As such, I was not expecting much in the "needs-based" category, but I was happily surprised when I got my financial aid information.

I guess to summarize, UVA has a great financial aid system in place, and I think it is rare for students to pay "sticker price" for their education. But there is an optional financial aid session on interview day where all your questions can be answered, or you can always give them a call. They are happy to help!

Last edited:
I was told by the financial aid office that if you're married before moving to VA, that after a year of your spouse working full time in VA the school will consider you in-state for tuition purposes.

As I said... it's a theory that it works, but in practice, you do have to do quite a bit to petition for in-state status, and I'm not sure if his petition has gone through yet. It's also only about $10K per year, so the difference isn't as steep as it is at some other schools.

But as mcctwist1 said... UVA is pretty generous. It's still more expensive for me to attend school here than the other school I was accepted to, but it's a good school and I'm happy here, so I'm willing to pay the extra cost for that. The alumni would ideally love to have it so that no one has to pay tuition, but there isn't quite enough support for that. Still, they do provide quite a bit in need-based aid. I got the same aid both years (so far), and my mom's income increased rather dramatically between those years.

does anyone know how UVA feels about in the area emails or update letters?

i'm curious about this too wrt update letters. i listed a paper in revision and it's been accepted (i'm a phd student so it's not like that was my one pub, but it is my only first author for a journal at this point). dunno if it makes a big difference but i was thinking about updating places?

i'm curious about this too wrt update letters. i listed a paper in revision and it's been accepted (i'm a phd student so it's not like that was my one pub, but it is my only first author for a journal at this point). dunno if it makes a big difference but i was thinking about updating places?

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt. As long as you are updating for a good reason (not that you joined a new club or something) and are updating relatively infrequently, it can only help you

Where can we find more information about UVA's financial aid?
I couldn't attend their financial aid session during interview :(

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UVA is responsive to "in the area" letters?

i sent them one with some updates, and the lady said thanks for the updates but we have a lot of applicants this year, so we're taking our time reviewing. basically i think it doesn't help or hurt you

i sent them one with some updates, and the lady said thanks for the updates but we have a lot of applicants this year, so we're taking our time reviewing. basically i think it doesn't help or hurt you

Yeah, I thought that might be there reaction. Thanks for the info.

Just to give some perspective to those applying to UVA, here is a very accurate description of the next generation curriculum at UVA written by a second year student:

“The last Wednesday lecturer, Dr. [], was very kind in staying very, very late to help a crowd of confused students after the arterial blood gases lecture. This teacher obviously cares a lot about us, and worked hard to get us handouts, so why are we lost? The reason is that the administration instructed him not to teach us the basics in class, as he admitted to us towards the end. In the past, when our teachers failed to give us an adequate foundation for knowledge, I assumed that there was some miscommunication at best and negligence at worst, but this is a deliberate, active attempt to deny us the tools we need to learn. Obviously this is part of the trend in how the administration has been destructive to our learning, and it is completely unacceptable. It wastes our professors’ time, negates their well-intended efforts on our behalf and actively screws us over. I have half a mind to post this in the admissions room, because no prospective student deserves to be tricked into thinking that the administration is bettering our education.
Ineffectiveness was tolerated as we are transitioning to a new system. Unprofessional behavior (late schedules, last minute changes, late posting of learning materials) was tolerated. Laziness, disregarded feedback, and callous responses to student concerns are the norm. But never in my worst moments (and believe me there have been many), did I ever suspect or dare to accuse an educator of actively trying to barring a student from learning. Attempting to deny students the basics is an insult to education and one of the grossest abuses a teacher can commit. UVA should be ashamed of itself.”

The reason is that the administration instructed him not to teach us the basics in class,

There must be more to this story. It feels as if this anecdote doesn't get at the heart of the issue. Why would they not want their students to learn the material? Maybe the admins thought med students would be well versed in the basics by some other lecture or the pre-medical curriculum?

Everything that I've heard (from both students and admins) up to this point has suggested the exact opposite from what you're telling us.

Huh. I have also heard that the administration does restrict some weird things (like telling professors not to give us handouts on translation and transcription), so this isn't an isolated complaint. When something like this happens, though, people complain A LOT. We have a committee of students whose job it is to take in our complaints (some weeks our many, many complaints) and let the course leader (and I guess the administration?) know about them. Maybe that doesn't help US out so much, but it should help next year's class.
It seems a little dramatic to say the the administration is trying to actively bar us from learning, but I'm just a first year, so shrug.
But anyway, so far our professors generally rock (with a couple exceptions) and are super helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.