2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i submitted after you and my primaries were verified in july. they got entered one week after verification. you should def email them

Bah! Just did

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question regarding the "semester credits" they ask you to enter for your math course. I am having trouble figuring out which conversion to use. I go to a Canadian school; we have our year broken into 3 terms, a one term course (3 hours lecture per week) is a 0.5 credit. Would I enter this as 3 semester credits (i.e. equivalent to semester hours?).

Thanks!

So for those still being incomplete thanks to letters here is the email i got back

We have your packet. I check in each letter individually so as you can imagine it takes quite some time to go through hundreds of them every day. Thank you for your patience. Your file could take a couple days to be completed as well; it is not an automatic process.

Erin
Admissions
WUSM

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaand im complete

Everything is marked received, but file is still incomplete? Anyone else have this delay?

I just got a letter in the mail from Washington. At first I was really excited, but then I became confused as I remembered that I did not apply to Washington. Turns out its a letter from the committee of admissions asking me to apply. Is this something they send out to alot of people or is it a genuine request?

I just got a letter in the mail from Washington. At first I was really excited, but then I became confused as I remembered that I did not apply to Washington. Turns out its a letter from the committee of admissions asking me to apply. Is this something they send out to alot of people or is it a genuine request?
I think WashU is notorious for sending out lots of mailings...

I think your right. A quick google search seems that they send out more letters to get a smaller ratio of #acceptances to #applicants

I think your right. A quick google search seems that they send out more letters to get a smaller ratio of #acceptances to #applicants

I actually spoke to my college's pre-health committee director and asked her if this letter was a genuine one, or more of a "come-on" to get your application fee. Our director has been around for about 25 years, so she has plenty of experience here, and she said that this absolutely is a genuine letter, and it is not something that's sent out to just anybody. She said that it's by no means an offer of acceptance or a guarantee of an interview, but it is an honest sign of interest in you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Same thing here. Was your's a "Congratulations on your strong showing on the MCAT...outstanding opportunities for women..." letter?

I actually spoke to my college's pre-health committee director and asked her if this letter was a genuine one, or more of a "come-on" to get your application fee. Our director has been around for about 25 years, so she has plenty of experience here, and she said that this absolutely is a genuine letter, and it is not something that's sent out to just anybody. She said that it's by no means an offer of acceptance or a guarantee of an interview, but it is an honest sign of interest in you.

You realize it's probably based only your MCAT, gender, and/or URM status.

Hmm, that's interesting about the letters. I received one as well (which I thought was a very hospitable gesture, since only one other school has sent me any physical mailings so far), and it sounds like they have a few different versions going out to different people.

The letter I received referenced my MCAT score, but nothing much else about me/my application. I am actually complete at this school, for the record.

of course, that's all they'd know about you without an AMCAS app.
but congratulations nonetheless! You must have done really well, and it made them notice you, that's always good.

For all we know, they have a computer program that prints letters and envelopes corresponding to the records of some AAMC database of recent MCAT takers who scored above a 36. And it's slightly different for females, to include discussion of how WashU nurtures women in medicine. I suppose that could be an 'honest' and 'genuine' sign of their interest in you specifically, but very little.

Does anyone know if the MSTP has different prompts? Thanks! (Non-trad MSTP applicant here submitting later this month.)

Does anyone know if the MSTP has different prompts? Thanks! (Non-trad MSTP applicant here submitting later this month.)

They're the same but you have to write a few sentences about what you're interested in. Nothing major though!

Does the dean's thing have to be done in order for the application to even be considered, or is it a "before you matriculate at our school" sort of thing?

Please scream at me in text form if this has already been asked & answered. Spaseeba.

Does the dean's thing have to be done in order for the application to even be considered, or is it a "before you matriculate at our school" sort of thing?

Please scream at me in text form if this has already been asked & answered. Spaseeba.

IIRC, it doesn't need to be in for them to consider you for an interview, but it needs to be in before they make a decision on your acceptance. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC, it doesn't need to be in for them to consider you for an interview, but it needs to be in before they make a decision on your acceptance. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
i was under that thought.

Yup, I got an interview invite in January 2011, and sent in the form after getting the invite.

What's the consensus on this brochure I got in the mail from them today? lol. It was customized with my specific mcat score, saying that I should apply there with it. What's the cutoff for who they send those to? My GPA is slightly above their average, but my GPA is below it. Thanks!

What's the consensus on this brochure I got in the mail from them today? lol. It was customized with my specific mcat score, saying that I should apply there with it. What's the cutoff for who they send those to? My GPA is slightly above their average, but my GPA is below it. Thanks!

How does that work? You'll have to enlighten me.

Is anyone else having to wait significantly longer than the three business days for their letters to be marked complete?

Is anyone else having to wait significantly longer than the three business days for their letters to be marked complete?
pretty sure it took longer than 3 days for me. but i don't think it took too long..

I've been wondering about that, too. I submitted my application on 8/17 and I am still incomplete because of the letters (which were already assigned on AMCAS).

Since II will probably be going out soon and it doesn't appear that they look at applications in order (based on last year's threads), does anyone know if WashU is receptive to in-the-area emails?

Since II will probably be going out soon and it doesn't appear that they look at applications in order (based on last year's threads), does anyone know if WashU is receptive to in-the-area emails?

In their "Instructions for Applicants" (https://wumsapply.wustl.edu/default.aspx) is says that if you are planning a trip to the area, it would be fine to contact them to see if an interview will be approved.

Hello All,

So I turned in my Supplemental application a few weeks ago but my Dean certification is not in. My school has been on break for the last two weeks so I don't think the certification will be sent until next week. However, it has been a month since I got the supplemental application. We are supposed to complete the application in one month--does that mean simply submitting the supplemental application or does that mean getting *everything in*.

Ahh, I'm scared.

Thanks

^ nevermind. Sorry, I should have read the thread more carefully before posting.

Interview Invite! So excited! For reference I was complete in early August.

Edit: There was no e-mail, I just logged on to the site and it said "Date interview offered" on the status page

Edit: There was no e-mail, I just logged on to the site and it said "Date interview offered" on the status page

Congrats!

...mine still just says my file is complete :xf:

Hello All,

So I turned in my Supplemental application a few weeks ago but my Dean certification is not in. My school has been on break for the last two weeks so I don't think the certification will be sent until next week. However, it has been a month since I got the supplemental application. We are supposed to complete the application in one month--does that mean simply submitting the supplemental application or does that mean getting *everything in*.

Ahh, I'm scared.

Thanks

I don't think you need the dean's certification in for your file to be reviewed. I just submitted everything else first. IF I get an interview, I'll send that in. Before that, it seems like a waste of time.

i wonder what the average mcat/GPA is in this thread....

(i'm not applying here, way out of my reach. and good luck to you all!)

Me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.