2012-2013 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Singapore has awesome hainan chicken! :D

HK isn't too far from Singapore. Can fly over there and get some dim sum. On a regular basis if you can afford it :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

HK isn't too from Singapore. Can fly over there and get some dim sum. On a regular basis if you can afford it :D

I can't wait to eat some more oyster omelet again!

If I return to Singapore, first thing is to head straight for Tian Tian and order Chicken Rice and devour it with black sauce. OK time to eat

Members don't see this ad :)

HK isn't too far from Singapore. Can fly over there and get some dim sum. On a regular basis if you can afford it :D
I like the idea, perhaps once a year provided we have time to spare. Heard the semesters are pretty long with not many holidays. And holidays are mostly spent to prepare for exams. Haha. Come to think abt it, I haven't been to HK for 10 years.

To all Singaporeans and to anyone else who knows of the fruit:

I have quite the funny story. My Singaporean friend (studying at our US university) told me of his recent experience with Durian. He was eating it in the computer lab, when people started complaining of a smell. He didn't say anything of course so as not to draw blame on himself, but someone suggested that it may be a gas leak. Events then spiraled out of control that an ambulance and firetruck were called by campus security and people had to evacuate. LMAO.

Let's experience some gas leak next time. Probably not in the lab though. haha

Let's experience some gas leak next time. Probably not in the lab though. haha
This trick would definitely not work in Singapore, but I told my friend that he should take a ziploc bag of Durian into his final exam and if he feels the exam is insanely difficult, just open the bag and have the professor evacuate the class.

This trick would definitely not work in Singapore, but I told my friend that he should take a ziploc bag of Durian into his final exam and if he feels the exam is insanely difficult, just open the bag and have the professor evacuate the class.

Oh my is it in season already? Just kidding haha. I hate durian. My family seems to think that refusing to eat it equals to mortal sin. Like they would be branded child abuser or something. Eeew.

Btw, where did your friend get the Durian from?

Oh my is it in season already? Just kidding haha. I hate durian. My family seems to think that refusing to eat it equals to mortal sin. Like they would be branded child abuser or something. Eeew.
You can learn to like it, starting from Durian ice cream.

North East America and Western America (e.g. California) have substantial Asian populations and thus countless Asian groceries and supermarkets. You can pretty much get anything there you could otherwise find in Asia

To all Singaporeans and to anyone else who knows of the fruit:

I have quite the funny story. My Singaporean friend (studying at our US university) told me of his recent experience with Durian. He was eating it in the computer lab, when people started complaining of a smell. He didn't say anything of course so as not to draw blame on himself, but someone suggested that it may be a gas leak. Events then spiraled out of control that an ambulance and firetruck were called by campus security and people had to evacuate. LMAO.

I nearly peed my pants laughing at this. :laugh:
I can so see this happening in 'murrica

I guess it's an acquired taste haha. I grew up with it and hate it when the season is in full swing. And it's also very heaty...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the hiatus! Been really busy. :)

Applicant's day for me next week. Congrats to those of you who already made it in, and for those who are still waiting, hang in there!

Good luck sweetsecrets, let us know how it goes.

I'm a reapplicant so it's kinda scary! :/ haha thanks. :D yes will keep you guys updated. who's waiting and who's accepted thus far? lol.

Hey hey hey how's it going? Lol. I did apply too, we'll see how it goes!

I'm a reapplicant so it's kinda scary! :/ haha thanks. :D yes will keep you guys updated. who's waiting and who's accepted thus far? lol.
I know, I have read your posts in last year's thread. One Year 1 student told me that there're quite a few reapplicants who got in for the class of 2016. So be confident. I only know some of the ED applicants have already been accepted. You can find their IDs from this thread. Not really sure about the rest.

I know of five other ppl who are accepted. Not certain that they will all be going tho.

Best of luck to those who are now waiting for the good news.

I know of five other ppl who are accepted. Not certain that they will all be going tho.

Best of luck to those who are now waiting for the good news.

How many out of those applying are they going to interview? Does getting an invitation mean good chances at all? Not even sure if I will ever get one :eek:

I guess getting an invitation for interview means high chance unless everyone gets an interview which I don't think it's the case for Duke-NUS.

How many out of those applying are they going to interview? Does getting an invitation mean good chances at all? Not even sure if I will ever get one :eek:

I don't have any statistics >< I was wondering the same when I started my apps. There are statistics for Duke Med. Maybe you can do some analysis using those stats? About 4600 applied (240 internationals), 1200 interviewed (100 internationals), 200 accepted (10 internationals), 120 enrolled (7 internationals).

If Duke-NUS's admissions statistics are anything close, you're looking at 26% of applicants get interviews, and 17% of those interviewed are accepted. So...26%*17* = about 4% who apply are accepted. BUT, even if the statistics are accurate (which is probably different for Duke-NUS), it's not really indicative of what your odds are, since it really depends on your accomplishments, etc.

how long does it usually take to hear from them?

If I recall correctly after reading through last year's forum (months ago) and my questions to admissions officers, I believe almost ALL of the re-applicants are Singaporean or Singapore PRs. I guess foreigners who are rejected from Duke-NUS may also get acceptances from American or other schools.

ih/the lullaby - i think i posted earlier in the thread the numbers given to me by the admission stuff. so rough estimate 1000+++ to 2000 applicants, ~180 interviewed, 56 spots.

i get a feeling (no offence ih, your scores are fantastic) that duke-nus tends to offer the internationals earlier, in part due to the american colleges offering confirmation earlier than June 1. the previous years thread seem to show quite a few internationals (americans or canadians) that got offered real early, only to release their spot after the respective colleges offered them.

but i also know of one singaporean who has an offer from duke-nus from my applicant day (oct 18 wasnt it?) i've sort of resigned to waiting for april for any more news. where i will be measured against all and every other applicant.

sweetsecrets - read your posts last year, hope you got the letters all sorted out :) and best of luck to you!

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for next year cycle but my MCAT score is rather low 26 (I got 10 on both physical and biological section...man, my English is really killing me). On their website, they said they focus more on those two sections so hopefully I can be considered. I devote my whole year for a research volunteer experience since they make it look like research is really important.

What do you guys think? Should I still apply. Cuz' their average MCAT score is 30 which is much higher than my score. :(

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for next year cycle but my MCAT score is rather low 26 (I got 10 on both physical and biological section...man, my English is really killing me). On their website, they said they focus more on those two sections so hopefully I can be considered. I devote my whole year for a research volunteer experience since they make it look like research is really important.

What do you guys think? Should I still apply. Cuz' their average MCAT score is 30 which is much higher than my score. :(

Retake? That is what I'm doing. It's not too late yet, and don't be too hard on yourself. :luck:

@ hhhhhkai: Thank you! That sounds pretty selective imo.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Retake. Apply for 2014 intake. It is too late for 2013 intake if u havent submitted applications. You have plenty of time to study and to take the mcat prior to applications for 2014 intake. 26 is low, especially your 6 in verbal. 28 is the national avg in US and 30 is avg for those who do get into schools. of course, those are avgs and there are outliers and ppl who get in with much lower scores. singapore may evaluate the scores differently but why settle for below avg (even if its US avg) But its not something hard work and smart studying cant overcome. Good luck with your studying and apps. PS duke nus mcat avg is 31.9 with a previously mentioned median of 33.

Hhhhhkai: none taken :) i hope you get in! I thk it will be nice to have u as a classmate.

Kntran: my previous post seemed a little blunt. Hope it didnt put u down, and instead puts in perspective what u need to do to increase your chances of an acceptance, in terms of the mcat.

I highly recommend the berkeley review series, examkracker, and aamc online mock tests. Got my 32 with examkrcker alone and had quite an improvement after using berkeley review and lots of practice.

Hi everyone,

If you are passionate about medicine, it doesn't hurt to apply for next cycle at all. I think you have plenty of time to retake the MCAT. It is actually fairly reasonable to improve score from high 20ish to low-medium 30ish in a relatively short period, as long as you know which area you need to work on. I also wanted to share a piece of advice from one of my professor who used to serve on adcom (not duke nus): She said that one common thing she had seen was that the applicant seemed to know which part of their application was weak, but there were lots of times that the adcom was actually concerned about other parts of the application which the applicants were not aware of yet. So I think it will be helpful not to only focus on the retake of MCAT, but also review other parts of the application to look for potential areas that might need some attention (also, you might find your uniqueness too). So, don't be afraid to apply:) Good luck!:)

Hi everybody! I'm a Singaporean studying in the US, and I was wondering if anybody here is attending the Jan 3 Applicant Day in Durham...? If so, hope to see you there!

Hi everybody! I'm a Singaporean studying in the US, and I was wondering if anybody here is attending the Jan 3 Applicant Day in Durham...? If so, hope to see you there!
I'm in the same boat as you; searching for others who shall be attending the January 5th applicant day in San Francisco. Still haven't been messaged by anyone.

@thelullaby99 @ih371990 @why need a name

Thanks a lot guys, retake seems like the best way to go. I've been practicing with the Kaplan Prep before...I'll try the exam kracker, maybe more verbal passage, a lot more :scared:

Also, any additional activities would you recommend for Duke-NUS that is different from other schools?

How many interview dates are offered, aside from Jan 3 and 5? And what locations?

How long do you guys wait between completed app and interview invite?

I'm very curious.

How many interview dates are offered, aside from Jan 3 and 5? And what locations?

How long do you guys wait between completed app and interview invite?

I'm very curious.
I think someone mentioned there are 10 in total. Of the ones I can definitely confirm
September in Singapore 1
October in Singapore 1
November at Duke 1
December in Singapore 1
January in USA 2

That's 6 so far that I definitely know of. They also mentioned that they are interviews in March in the US and I imagine one more in Singapore in February.

I think it definitely depends when you complete the application. I heard back about a week to 8 days after I sent in my application. Btw, I'm RD

@thelullaby99 @ih371990 @why need a name

Thanks a lot guys, retake seems like the best way to go. I've been practicing with the Kaplan Prep before...I'll try the exam kracker, maybe more verbal passage, a lot more :scared:

Also, any additional activities would you recommend for Duke-NUS that is different from other schools?

For activities, I believe it's probably not too different from other US medical schools, meaning you may want to show some research experience, some clinical experience, and other extracurricular activities. I believe one of Duke-NUS's goals is to produce clinician scientists, so if you show an interest in research (clinical or translational) it may be looked upon favorably. Of course, if you don't like research at all, then maybe Duke-NUS isn't the best fit since their curriculum is research-oriented as well.

I think someone mentioned there are 10 in total. Of the ones I can definitely confirm
September in Singapore 1
October in Singapore 1
November at Duke 1
December in Singapore 1
January in USA 2

That's 6 so far that I definitely know of. They also mentioned that they are interviews in March in the US and I imagine one more in Singapore in February.

I think it definitely depends when you complete the application. I heard back about a week to 8 days after I sent in my application. Btw, I'm RD

Thanks! Was just wondering the time it usually takes to get an invite. Does longer time (to be invited) means lower chance? Since theoretically if they see a good app they want to invite asap. Same for not so stellar app, hold off until everyone is reviewed??

What happens to those not invited for an interview? Is this the same as silent rejection?

Thanks! Was just wondering the time it usually takes to get an invite. Does longer time (to be invited) means lower chance? Since theoretically if they see a good app they want to invite asap. Same for not so stellar app, hold off until everyone is reviewed??

What happens to those not invited for an interview? Is this the same as silent rejection?

I don't quite remember, but I think I heard back about 1 month to 1.5 months after I submitted my ED applications (before my new MCAT scores were released in Sept). Was invited to attend either the Sept or Oct interview. Ended up going to the Oct interview, and heard back from them 2 weeks later.

I think timing depends on when they get to review your application in the pool of applicants and whether your credentials are stellar. You can have the most stellar app but if they don't see it until 2 weeks after, you're not gonna hear back until 2 weeks later, at the very least. And then, of course they're gonna want to accept the most stellar ones, so it's not difficult to imagine that decisions will take a longer time as the number of spots dwindle. The deadline was Dec 1, so all the apps should be in. I would think that they will review all the apps quickly, pick out the best candidates for the remaining seats, then start choosing from there for interviews. Probably 2-3 weeks after interview to size up an applicant. If you're good, 2-3 weeks acceptance earliest (maybe even a week?). If not, probably a much longer wait as admissions continue comparing you to the rest of the applicants. Reading from previous forums, it seems that they do tell you if you're not accepted, but you'll probably know after acceptances are out.

From previous thread, those rejected candicates do get a mail reply from Duke-NUS. I never came across anyone who did not get an interview on this forum. Not that i'm aware of.

From previous thread, those rejected candicates do get a mail reply from Duke-NUS. I never came across anyone who did not get an interview on this forum. Not that i'm aware of.
Yeah I believe there are people who do not get interviews. I mean if the statistics are right at least 1,000 probably do not get interviews. From what I've learnt, the November 8 interview in North Carolina had 12 people and the one at Duke-NUS yesterday (December 10th) had 20 people

September in Singapore 1
October in Singapore 1
November at Duke 1
December in Singapore 1
January in USA 2

Hi, did they receive all your reference letters before granting you an interview? I sent my application on Nov 20. So far I haven't heard anything. But I know they haven't received all the reference letters. Do you think they start reviewing applications before all ref letters are received?

Hi, did they receive all your reference letters before granting you an interview? I sent my application on Nov 20. So far I haven't heard anything. But I know they haven't received all the reference letters. Do you think they start reviewing applications before all ref letters are received?
Hi BrandonMB, did you receive the completed application notification email from Duke-NUS? I think they are reviewing your application but not sure if they will give you an interview before all your letters are received.

Hi BrandonMB,
Yes they have to have the entire application in before reviewing it. Have you e-mailed them to inform them of the outstanding reference letter? What they may do is, since the deadline has passed, just review the application excluding the outstanding reference letter or they may place your application in a "To be reviewed" pile until the final letter is received; however, this is quite a predicament as it decreases your chances of an interview

Yeah I believe there are people who do not get interviews. I mean if the statistics are right at least 1,000 probably do not get interviews. From what I've learnt, the November 8 interview in North Carolina had 12 people and the one at Duke-NUS yesterday (December 10th) had 20 people
No news=bad news. It seems 1 applicant's day/month? The next interview at Duke-NUS will be Jan?

No news=bad news. It seems 1 applicant's day/month? The next interview at Duke-NUS will be Jan?
I think February. The two January interviews are in the USA. I doubt there is a January interview in Singapore but I am quite positive there will at least be one more Singapore interview date.

Hi Sunilwest 12, thanks for your message. I emailed them about the late ref letters and was told they give 2 weeks grace period after the deadline. ie the extended deadline for ref letters is Dec 14th. Believe or not, I learned Duke-NUS on Nov 16th. I was totally unaware of this medical school (I'm from Canada). I spent four days writing the essays and finally submitted the application on Nov 20th. Because the term is ending profs are rather busy with the final exams etc. Two letters were sent already. The remaining two are on their way.

Hi Sunilwest 12, thanks for your message. I emailed them about the late ref letters and was told they give 2 weeks grace period after the deadline. ie the extended deadline for ref letters is Dec 14th. Believe or not, I learned Duke-NUS on Nov 16th. I was totally unaware of this medical school (I'm from Canada). I spent four days writing the essays and finally submitted the application on Nov 20th. Because the term is ending profs are rather busy with the final exams etc. Two letters were sent already. The remaining two are on their way.
Hi BrandonMB, you were very efficient in getting your application done in time. I guess you are also applying for medical schools in Canada and US as well?

Hi SuperCJT, thanks. But they are still waiting for the last two reference letters. I only applied one medical school in my province in Canada besides DukeNUS. The majority of American med schools do not accept int'l applicants. So I didn't apply any of the American med schools.