2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys!

I just got my II invite today and I noticed the dates vary for everyone. Some people have interview dates a few weeks right after the invite, and others vary for up to two months away. Does anyone know the reasoning for this? Does it have anything to do with being IS or OOS applicants?

When were you complete??

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted last week, first acceptance! Got voice mail, but the email came out about same time, so got that first (phone was not charged).
Whew, glad to know going somewhere next year, especially since I was AMCAS verfied late August, finished my secondaries 9/3/2013.
Only 2 interviews in October, 4 rejections, 2 holds, but just got 2 more interview invites in the last few weeks. Silence, punctuated by a flurry of activity, has characterized my admissions season.

The price is right for instate residents for MSU, would take a lot from OOS to beat this, especially if I decide to go primary care. MMI was actually fun, not stressful. And Adcoms were very nice!! Go Green, Go White, and forever, GO BLUE!!

Accepted last week, first acceptance! Got voice mail, but the email came out about same time, so got that first (phone was not charged).
Whew, glad to know going somewhere next year, especially since I was AMCAS verfied late August, finished my secondaries 9/3/2013.
Only 2 interviews in October, 4 rejections, 2 holds, but just got 2 more interview invites in the last few weeks. Silence, punctuated by a flurry of activity, has characterized my admissions season.

The price is right for instate residents for MSU, would take a lot from OOS to beat this, especially if I decide to go primary care. MMI was actually fun, not stressful. And Adcoms were very nice!! Go Green, Go White, and forever, GO BLUE!!
You messed it up! It's "For today, goodbye. For tomorrow, good luck. And forever, Go Blue!"... But just kidding ;). I like your spin on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You messed it up! It's "For today, goodbye. For tomorrow, good luck. And forever, Go Blue!"... But just kidding ;). I like your spin on it.

Right, ha ha ha, my sister is an MSU grad, but me, MOM and Dad and assorted relatives are all U of M grads. Now our house is truly divided.

Congrats! What day did you interview?!

Does anyone know yet the date of second look day, or has that not been decided yet? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely don't stress the interview, they do a great job of creating a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. I personally enjoyed the MMI setup.

+100

Don't even practice IMHO.

I recently submitted my secondary but my application was put on hold for letters of evaluation. One of my writers said that they would submit it on Monday, but msu says that their deadline is 11/30. Do you think I should remove the letter from msu or is it okay if the letter is uploaded to amcas on Monday? I already have three submitted and this would be the fourth letter.

April 4th the email said

Weird, it doesn't look like I received that email--was it after you paid the enrollment deposit? What other info does it have? Thanks for letting me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else as anxious as I am today?
Is today a special day (other than... December 4)? I stopped being anxious after I realized daily status-checking was not doing me any good. Having been "under review" since 7/19 makes that the only way for me to look at this without going crazy :confused:.

Plus, I recently heard good news from the COM, so that first acceptance makes life awfully easier. Which makes me wonder -- can anyone share their opinions on the CHM versus COM? I would, personally, be happy at either.

I was put on the alternate list today (interviewed 11/08). I'm a bit dismayed, as I thought I had a pretty good interview showing. MSU is certainly my top choice, so I'm planning to submit a poetic letter of continued interest this spring.

Has anyone had experience with the alternate list? From previous threads, it seems that there has been a decline in alternate admittance, with an overcapacity of accepted students come May 15th, possibly due to an improved selective process in interviewing.

Is today a special day (other than... December 4)? I stopped being anxious after I realized daily status-checking was not doing me any good. Having been "under review" since 7/19 makes that the only way for me to look at this without going crazy :confused:.

Plus, I recently heard good news from the COM, so that first acceptance makes life awfully easier. Which makes me wonder -- can anyone share their opinions on the CHM versus COM? I would, personally, be happy at either.

Today is one of their decision dates among Wednesdays over the next 3 weeks, I believe.

I was put on the alternate list today (interviewed 11/08). I'm a bit dismayed, as I thought I had a pretty good interview showing. MSU is certainly my top choice, so I'm planning to submit a poetic letter of continued interest this spring.

Has anyone had experience with the alternate list? From previous threads, it seems that there has been a decline in alternate admittance, with an overcapacity of accepted students come May 15th, possibly due to an improved selective process in interviewing.

I interviewed a few days before you. Do you mind if I ask for your stats? I'm incredibly anxious and MSUCHM is my top choice as well.

So I got referred to the ABLE program :unsure: ... c&sGPA 3.2, MCAT 28. Anyone know anything about it? I realize I'm not guaranteed admission to it or anything but I might as well figure out if I want to consider it as an option over the DO acceptance I've already received.

So I got referred to the ABLE program :unsure: ... c&sGPA 3.2, MCAT 28. Anyone know anything about it? I realize I'm not guaranteed admission to it or anything but I might as well figure out if I want to consider it as an option over the DO acceptance I've already received.

That is kind of unnerving. Good luck, man. I don't know much about the program, but it might mean they are interested, just want to give an avenue to improve your stats. What time did you receive the call?

That is kind of unnerving. Good luck, man. I don't know much about the program, but it might mean they are interested, just want to give an avenue to improve your stats. What time did you receive the call?

I got an email at like 9 this morning (MI time 12pm). I'm OOS. I wouldn't mind I guess, I mean I've heard good things about it and MSU is my top choice but....blah. kind of disappointing and a little deflating to my ego.

Any recent interviews? I was complete sept. 23 and feel like my day should be coming up. Im OOS though, which probably significantly delays the review of my app.

Interviewed 11/1 and haven't heard anything yet. I'm kind of nervous about the whole thing since I've watched 2 admission decision dates come and go since my interview. Anyone else in the same boat??

Interviewed 11/1 and haven't heard anything yet. I'm kind of nervous about the whole thing since I've watched 2 admission decision dates come and go since my interview. Anyone else in the same boat??

I interviewed with you and I'm in the same boat! I was a nervous wreck all of yesterday and I guess we gotta wait another week to hear something. Good luck!

Interviewed 10/18 and still have yet to hear back as well:( Saw candidates from my interview date at CHM at another interview and they have all been accepted. Also know one person from my interview date who was waitlisted. So nerve-racking!

Both are good schools. My med school choice ended up coming down to CHM vs. COM. I chose CHM and I am VERY glad that I did because, as an MS3, I have fallen in love with a competitive specialty. Matching into this specialty would have been much more difficult as a DO student (it is still not guaranteed by any means!) and I would have had virtually no chance at matching into any of the university-affiliated MD residency programs for this specialty. But. You'll be a doctor either way.

Is there any facebook group for accepted students?

Does anyone (PlayUltimate?) know how to find out what research opportunities are available at the GR campus?

Interviewed 10/18 and still have yet to hear back as well:( Saw candidates from my interview date at CHM at another interview and they have all been accepted. Also know one person from my interview date who was waitlisted. So nerve-racking!

I recall the dean saying if you did not hear anything in two months, you could give them a call; so its worth a shot! Good luck ;)

Is there any facebook group for accepted students?

I couldn't find one, so I started one. It's called MSU CHM Class of 2018. I'm at work using the Facebook and SDN apps on my phone so I don't know how to post a link, but if you search for it, you should be able to find it and join!

can you post the link here so people can find it faster? You could also email the admissions at MSU to let their students know so they can also participate and officially spread it further (I think thats what WSU did)

I don't know how to post the link here on my phone. I'll try next time I'm at the computer. If you can find it and post the link please do! Or you can PM me your name if you want and I'll invite you to the group on Facebook and then you can post the link here. But I'll be home soon and will try then :)

lol i couldn't find the link that's why I posted here :) its okay, I can wait :D

Does anyone (PlayUltimate?) know how to find out what research opportunities are available at the GR campus?

Many ways to get involved with research. You could try getting in contact with Mark Trottier, our director of research in GR. Once you are here you can also always hop onto projects with fellow students or residents. I met a local pediatrician in town who happened to be doing research and have been working with him since the summer before my second year. There are many avenues for finding projects.

Hey guys just a quick question.

So I have all my eggs in the D.O. basket but I just got an ii to MSU CHM for February. So my question is to those that have interviewed, how soon did you guys here back afterwards and how long do you have to accept their if accepted?

So I have all my eggs in the D.O. basket but I just got an ii to MSU CHM for February. So my question is to those that have interviewed, how soon did you guys here back afterwards and how long do you have to accept their if accepted?
I heard back 10 days after my interview.
You can hold on to your acceptance with an $85 fee i think.
Good luck!

Hey, congrats on the ii. They give decisions on set dates each month. Search their website for them or look on this thread a few dozen posts ago. I posted the dates somewhere here.

Hey, congrats on the ii. They give decisions on set dates each month. Search their website for them or look on this thread a few dozen posts ago. I posted the dates somewhere here.

Sweet, will do!

What did it say?
Eh, it just refers to my application over and over again as "unsuccessful" and suggests that I need to reassess my plans and "initiate [my] plans for improvement as soon as possible". I'm sure they mean well, but it just rubs me the wrong way after waiting 5 months. I know my application inside and out, thanks, and I'm aware what can and cannot be improved. :penguin:

Eh, it just refers to my application over and over again as "unsuccessful" and suggests that I need to reassess my plans and "initiate [my] plans for improvement as soon as possible". I'm sure they mean well, but it just rubs me the wrong way after waiting 5 months. I know my application inside and out, thanks, and I'm aware what can and cannot be improved. :penguin:
Sorry. Good luck elsewhere.