2013-2014 Ohio State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all applicants from a soon-to-be second year student!

Good luck to all applicants from a soon-to-be second year student!

Thanks! Non-trad applying. Let's hope I get to see some love for the nine years of Ohio State income taxes I've paid :)

J/k I'm happy that I've a decent shot IS at a really really good school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plan to apply here too as a MI resident. Stats are a bit lower than their medians 3.78/32 but i'm hoping I get a shot.

IS applicant! Got to shadow the director of Cardio at Wexner and I loved it! I would be so happy if I got accepted here! Definitely first choose of in-state schools! Good luck everyone!

Please post any questions about the school, I will try to answer them. Good luck!

This is an exciting time to apply to OSU. The medical center is on the up and up

Please post any questions about the school, I will try to answer them. Good luck!

here's a random one...

i did my masters at osu in a non medically related field. will they contact my advisor at all during the application season? i wasn't planning on using him as a reference.

here's a random one...

i did my masters at osu in a non medically related field. will they contact my advisor at all during the application season? i wasn't planning on using him as a reference.

I dont believe so, unless you mentioned your masters program extensively in your application and placed your advisors name on it. Especially in a non medically related field. We will evaluate you based on your application and letters.

My stats are very low compared to average, and I'm OOS, just thought I'd give it a shot since this would be my dream school. Always been a fan. Good luck to all!

Giving OSU a shot my gpa is stellar but mcat a little lower than their avg acceptance (32 i think i got a 30). Anyway I am an out of state student but I do have family who lives there. If I mention that could that help me in anyway?

Probably NOT applying. Good luck all

Last edited:
Jus submitted my app! Hopefully the adcoms like it and I receive a secondary in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided not to apply since i'm OOS AND lower than their avg. acceptance stats. Good luck to all of you!

Applying IS...would love to get in, loved O State since I was a kid. Stats a little lower than average but it'd be a dream come true to be accepted.

I'm OOS and below average... Was *so* close to cutting them off, but OSU just seems like such a great school that I had to give it a shot. Good luck, everybody.

Incoming MS1 here. Also went here for Undergrad so if you have any questions about student life/non-medical facilities, I can offer feedback on that. Best of luck! :luck:

Incoming MS1 here. Also went here for Undergrad so if you have any questions about student life/non-medical facilities, I can offer feedback on that. Best of luck! :luck:

What were your stats?? I'm curious as to what they are looking for in a student. I have lower stats, just wondering if I happen to match other criteria they are looking for.

What were your stats?? I'm curious as to what they are looking for in a student. I have lower stats, just wondering if I happen to match other criteria they are looking for.

Check my MDApps. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions - I can't speak as to what they're looking for and I wouldn't want to unintentionally mislead.

That is a very extensive MDApps Incognito! That is very helpful.

Ts it depends on how below the avg you are, what are the other criteria that makes you stand out?

What do you mean by MEDApps? Where can I access this?
Check my MDApps. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions - I can't speak as to what they're looking for and I wouldn't want to unintentionally mislead.

That is a very extensive MDApps Incognito! That is very helpful.

Ts it depends on how below the avg you are, what are the other criteria that makes you stand out?

Thank you! I found great help in those that came before me - just trying to pay it forward.

What do you mean by MEDApps? Where can I access this?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=25080

For future reference, if you click on the "View Profile" text/link under my avatar (it's by where my post count is and so forth, you can access it there. Many other users have ones of their own to peruse.)

Thanks! Non-trad applying. Let's hope I get to see some love for the nine years of Ohio State income taxes I've paid :)

J/k I'm happy that I've a decent shot IS at a really really good school!

I would say that you have better than a decent shot with those numbers

Im still waiting on one last transcript. How did u guys get all ur transcripts in so fast? My school didn't have grades ready till june 6 which is the day it was sent out. Been about 10 days since theyve sent. When do u think amcas will mark them as received so I can send my application out.

i got an email today with info on setting up an OSU account. i activated my account but i don't see a secondary app anywhere. is it not released yet? other schools would give the secondaries after activating your account

I got an email for account info stuff too, but couldnt find the secondary either. They will probably send it to us later.

did anyone not get anything? based on not getting pritzkers secondary maybe something got hosed up.

Any one figure out where the secondary is? Signed up for the account but can't seem to find the secondary.

Or does the link come in separate email after you sign up?

Any one figure out where the secondary is? Signed up for the account but can't seem to find the secondary.

Or does the link come in separate email after you sign up?

I signed up for the account a couple of days ago and still haven't received anything about a secondary… are we missing something?

Im not sure. I think I'll call them tomorrow and get the scoop.

Just received a secondary!

same

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr made the following statement: "Of all the injustices in the world, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane." Describe how you would like to contribute to ensuring quality healthcare for all people. (250 words or less)

The Ohio State University College of Medicine's mission is to "improve people's lives through innovation in research, education and patient care." Briefly describe how you aspire to further this mission, in whole or in part, as a medical student or as an alumnus of this College. (250 words or less)

Interesting first prompt, I imagine it d be hard to fit into 250 words

I find the prompts to be pretty difficult. They seem to begging you to be political or describe yourself with a Jesus complex

Just submitted, but no confirmation e-mail. Did anyone receive one?

I wrote an OK answer I think for the frist prompt, even though it took me three boring hours and a lot of reddit breaks lol... I talked a little about healthcare in the US vs the rest of the world, and then a suggesiton of how I can help as a medical student. I got political a bit, but did not voice any personal opinions. I definitely did not describe myself with a Jesus complex. I am very thankful the word limit is only 250 instead of the 600 it was last year as I think this prompt will invite a lot of similar answers.

Last edited:
Regarding the Mission Statement Essay, would it be completely off if I talked about how I wanted to contribute to greater health education in rural populations? When I first read the Mission Statement, I think about innovation in the education of health care professionals. However, I think it's a little vague? If I talk about the Mission Statement in a "flexible way," will this be construed as misunderstanding it entirely?

out of all the secondaries I ve done so far, this is the worst. I dont know how to answer #2.MLK one. I ve been staring at a blank document for 2 hours!

Just submitted, but no confirmation e-mail. Did anyone receive one?

No, I didn't receive one either. But at the bottom of the secondary page, it tells you the date of submission, so I think we're ok.

Shadowing a Doctor in the cardiology department at OSU medical center today! Super excited! >_<

Submitted. Finally was inspired enough to put together a decent answer to the Dr. King essay. Good luck to us!

interview invite!! Via status change. OOS Applicant.

Scheduled for Sept. 9

+1. Interview invite received by email notification of status change. OOS but firmly in love with OSU.

Does anyone know if they're receptive to rescheduling, though?

Edit: Nevermind, found the "Please reschedule me" link on the applicant portal. Excellent.

Congrats to those with II! When did you guys submit your secondaries? Also, did anybody get a "complete" email? I'm having a hard time navigating their portal.. Not sure if they have my rec letters.

Cograts on the invites! Mind sharing your stats?