2013-2014 Ohio State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would really love to go to OSU!

Best choice I ever made was deciding on going to OSU, good luck everyone! I hope you fall in love with this place as much as I did and all the other current students did who currently post in here.

Hope this helps get you guys through the application cycle:
62136.png

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite! Status updated to "Interview Invitation" on the status page, though there was no e-mail update with it. Best of luck to everyone else :luck::luck:

Interview invite! Status updated to "Interview Invitation" on the status page, though there was no e-mail update with it. Best of luck to everyone else :luck::luck:

IS or OOS? Would you be willing to share stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are some pretty stats, no wonder you got an interview. Congrats! Hope mine comes eventually

Thanks! It's my first and only thus far. I think they've only just begun to send invites out, so there are plenty left to go out :)

I sent in my fee waiver on Monday. I go onto my status page and it says waiting for secondary. When I go to my secondary it is saying it was submitted on Wednesday. Should I just assume that they accepted my fee waiver and it's just not updated on my status page?

when you guys log onto the applicant page does it say anything about your letters?

it says for me that my AMCAS app is received as well as my secondary. then it says Application letters of reference with a link to "about" but doesn't list my letters or anything.

is it supposed to show your letters on the page anywhere? i submitted this app a while ago I just want to make sure everything with my letters is fine.

edit: uploaded an image

Attachments

• OSU page.JPG
    OSU page.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 113
Interview invite! Does anyone know where we can learn more about the process and how to prepare?

I sent in my fee waiver on Monday. I go onto my status page and it says waiting for secondary. When I go to my secondary it is saying it was submitted on Wednesday. Should I just assume that they accepted my fee waiver and it's just not updated on my status page?

I'm in the exact same situation actually. I sent in my fee waiver Monday. As of Wednesday my secondary says "submitted" but my status page says awaiting secondary application. Do you think we should call?

Congrats to all of you with II's. And good luck to the rest of us!

when you guys log onto the applicant page does it say anything about your letters?

it says for me that my AMCAS app is received as well as my secondary. then it says Application letters of reference with a link to "about" but doesn't list my letters or anything.

is it supposed to show your letters on the page anywhere? i submitted this app a while ago I just want to make sure everything with my letters is fine.

edit: uploaded an image

I'd really appreciate if somebody could answer this please.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd really appreciate if somebody could answer this please.

Thank you

I do not see an option to see your LORs, but I found this on Ohio State's website: "Review of your application for interview is not dependent upon receipt of reference letters.

Reference letters must be available through AMCAS prior to your on-campus interview." http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/requirements/pages/referenceletters.aspx

So I am assuming it does not matter much as long as your LORS are received by AMCAS.

I didn't see an option to "Preview" my application before submitting. As a heads up to other applicants, be wary of using M-dashes in your essays. Mine got converted into question marks after I submitted.

Edit: despite using Notepad to covert to text prior to pasting into the application

I didn't see an option to "Preview" my application before submitting. As a heads up to other applicants, be wary of using M-dashes in your essays. Mine got converted into question marks after I submitted.

Edit: despite using Notepad to covert to text prior to pasting into the application

I completely agree. Double, triple check. Everything looked fine on my application, but when I hit the submit button I saw four "?" in place of dashes and apostrophe's.

Anybody in the "Don't have anatomy req but will take it if you get an interview" boat?

I'm in the exact same situation actually. I sent in my fee waiver Monday. As of Wednesday my secondary says "submitted" but my status page says awaiting secondary application. Do you think we should call?

Not sure. I am going to wait and she what happens this week and if it has not changed by Friday I will call.

Not sure. I am going to wait and she what happens this week and if it has not changed by Friday I will call.

I emailed them on Friday morning explaining the situation. No email back, but by the afternoon my status page changed to "secondary received." So, maybe try that!

I submitted & paid by credit card Friday evening and I have a similar situation -- application says "submitted" but status page says "awaiting submission". I assume they just manually check some things before listing it as submitted; I'll wait a few days before pinging them about it.

Edit: I've been updated to "Received"

Last edited:
Michigan man chiming in. I submitted my secondary yesterday. The prompts weren't too tough in my mind.

OSU seems like a great program from what I can gather. To those who are current med. students, what do you like most about attending Ohio? (Sorry, I couldn't leave out that Brady Hoke reference.) What are some cons to the program in your opinion?

Yea I checked today and it says secondary received! By far this is my number one choice! Sadly my MCAT is subpar. Still keeping my fingers cross though for some in state love!

Would they review my application even if all my letters aren't in? I have 2 already received, but the letter packet from my school will be another two weeks, sadly.

Do you think they would review my app if my letter packet from my school hasn't arrived yet? I have two other letters in already.

Do you think they would review my app if my letter packet from my school hasn't arrived yet? I have two other letters in already.

Yes. Their website says letters are only needed prior to a scheduled interview date. It appears as though LOR are not a factor for an interview invitation, only acceptance.

Yes. Their website says letters are only needed prior to a scheduled interview date. It appears as though LOR are not a factor for an interview invitation, only acceptance.

Yes you do not need all letters in to get interview, but they are needed before the actual interview.

Hey guys, after your OSU username is activated and you're able to log on, am I suppose to see the secondary app right away? I logged into the my.osu page, and can't find the app anywhere. :confused: Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, after your OSU username is activated and you're able to log on, am I suppose to see the secondary app right away? I logged into the my.osu page, and can't find the app anywhere. :confused: Any help is greatly appreciated.

i submiteed a while ago but if i remember correctly i received one email that asked me to sign up for my osu and there was nothing there at all from what i could see

i then got antoher email a few days later that actually had the secondary

i THINK this is correct but someone else should chime in

i submiteed a while ago but if i remember correctly i received one email that asked me to sign up for my osu and there was nothing there at all from what i could see

i then got antoher email a few days later that actually had the secondary

This. Thanks! :thumbup: No wonder I couldn't find the app at first. Btw I literally got an email with the secondary an hour after I read your post.

Just received my first II and it's with OSU! :)
OOS applicant, c3.8 / s3.9 / 39 Career changer
I was marked complete on 8/5. quick turnaround! :thumbup:

When did you submit your secondary? I submitted 7/22 and my status is still "submitted"

Thanks

Hey congrats! I bet it feels great to have your first II!

Did they give you many dates to choose from? When were the dates, mainly September, or are they scheduling out to October already?

Thanks and way to go!

Hey congrats! I bet it feels great to have your first II!

Did they give you many dates to choose from? When were the dates, mainly September, or are they scheduling out to October already?

Thanks and way to go!

Got an II too. Gave me only one date, September 23, with an option to reschedule if needed.

When did you submit your secondary? I submitted 7/22 and my status is still "submitted"

Thanks

Hmm. I submitted on 8/4 and I think it said "Complete" on 8/5.

They gave me one date 9/16, with the option of rescheduling.

Has anyone rescheduled before? If so, do you know what happens next? Do they contact you for date availability, do they change the date themselves without any extra info, or do they forget about you altogether?

Mine has said "submitted" for a long time too. It said somewhere in the application instructions that the status will never be changed to complete, but that makes me nervous that someone's did

This is straight from the OSU admissions page:

Complete Application File - consists of your AMCAS application, the Ohio State secondary application, valid MCAT scores, and at least two academic reference letters. We do not notify you when your application is complete nor does your application status change to "complete".

Just called. Still deciding on a date - most likely will be in October. :-/ For anyone considering rescheduling, just know that they only interview on Mondays and Wednesdays. :)

MBDQ (my new shorthand for "might be a dumb question" hah), but does anyone know if Ohio State sends invites prior to looking at letters of recommendation?

I had a couple of letters that I was worried would be less than enthusiastic, and I think if I knew that OSU already read them and still decided to send an invite, then I would be more assured.

Thanks!

MBDQ (my new shorthand for "might be a dumb question" hah), but does anyone know if Ohio State sends invites prior to looking at letters of recommendation?

I had a couple of letters that I was worried would be less than enthusiastic, and I think if I knew that OSU already read them and still decided to send an invite, then I would be more assured.

Thanks!

I think they decide on IIs before they get letters but don't send them until they do. I say this because I literally got my II 15 minutes after they marked my letters as received.

Does anyone have experience with calling/emailing the admissions office?
Also, how many emails have you received from OSU?

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with calling/emailing the admissions office?
Also, how many emails have you received from OSU?

I can't speak to your first question since I haven't (yet) had to call/email the admissions office directly.

However, I've gotten 4 emails from OSU total:
- One giving me my OSU username (from IT)
- One activating my OSU username (from IT)
- One inviting me to complete the secondary (from admissions)
- One notifying me of a status change (from admissions - status was changed to "Interview Invitation")

I can't speak to your first question since I haven't (yet) had to call/email the admissions office directly.

However, I've gotten 4 emails from OSU total:
- One giving me my OSU username (from IT)
- One activating my OSU username (from IT)
- One inviting me to complete the secondary (from admissions)
- One notifying me of a status change (from admissions - status was changed to "Interview Invitation")
Thanks for the helpful reply. Much obliged.

Anybody in the "Don't have anatomy req but will take it if you get an interview" boat?

I'm assuming some of you have contacted them regarding this prereq? If so, what has been their response? Debating whether or not to spend time and submit this secondary....Thanks.