2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just wanted to say that I am a 3rd time re-applicant and I received my first acceptance from SLU last Friday! No matter where I end up SLU will always have a special place in my heart. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I just wanted to say that I am a 3rd time re-applicant and I received my first acceptance from SLU last Friday! No matter where I end up SLU will always have a special place in my heart. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back and congrats to those who have been accepted!

congrats!!

Does anyone know if SLU will be having a second-look at any point for accepted students?

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations, Dr. DrHuxtable (I put Dr. twice on purpose to emphasize the significance of this:)).

I'm a 2nd time reapp and i literally never thought I would get in anywhere! Got my acceptance on Friday! Congrats Dr Huxtable! you deserve it! What a difference a year can make!

Congrats to all those recently accepted!! I have an interview this week and any advice would be really appreciated! Are the questions mostly general and based on our primary? Are there ethical questions or anything else to prepare for? Thank you sooooo much! :)

Congrats on your interview invite! SLU's interview day is super chill. Your only interview is supposed to last around 45 minutes (mine only lasted like 25 minutes though, which I was a little bit worried about but it turned out not to be a big deal at all). I don't know who you're interviewing with, but my interviewer (Dr. Philipneri) was so incredibly nice and friendly and basically just wanted to get to know me by asking questions about my family, asking for more details about my activities, why I love St. Louis (I've spent a number of years here), why SLU, my strengths and weaknesses, etc. No tough questions at all and it was just a very relaxed, straightforward interview. Hope this helps and good luck to you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am an MD/PHD applicant. I was complete in early August and have just had complete silence since. Any other MD/PHD applicants heard anything?

Not a lot of news from SLU recently, anyone know how far along in the interview season they are already scheduling?

Not a lot of news from SLU recently, anyone know how far along in the interview season they are already scheduling?
so far it looks like only dates from january are open from last time I checked which was last week

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up here and I really like what I've researched about SLU so far. However, I don't understand why they give you the name of interviewer? Am I expected to do some research on this individual before the interview and should I reasonably expect questions related to that person's specialty? Thank you

Am I expected to do some research on this individual before the interview and should I reasonably expect questions related to that person's specialty? Thank you

Not necessary at all. I'm not sure why they give you that information, to be honest, but I did find my interviewer's Pinterest account. While it was reassuring to discover our mutual love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I didn't manage to find a way to work it into our conversation. Still got accepted.

I've said this in previous posts - My SLU interview was very very very low-stress. Don't worry about it!

Edit: See below - Another applicant had a vastly different experience at SLU, contradicting what I and other posters have reported.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've said this in previous posts - My SLU interview was very very very low-stress. Don't worry about it!

I am not trying to contradict you or invalidate your comment in any way, however the atmosphere of the interview is completely dependent on the two people involved and not on the institution where it takes place. I have had 10 interviewers so far and 9 of them were extremely laid back and enjoyable, while one of them, which was my one at SLU, was very high pressure and full of impossible to answer curveball after curveball. I just dont think its fair that you tell people "dont worry about it!" if you dont even know who their interviewers are.

Again, not at all trying to be confrontational, but I just would feel bad if the folks on this thread with upcoming interviews didnt really prepare much because of the advice given on here because thats what I did and I am afraid it probably bit me in the butt :/ I really wish I would have researched my interviewer b/c he/she asked me questions about his/her field that I have never had any classes in, done any research in, or shadowed in.

I am not trying to contradict you or invalidate your comment in any way, however the atmosphere of the interview is completely dependent on the two people involved and not on the institution where it takes place. I have had 10 interviewers so far and 9 of them were extremely laid back and enjoyable, while one of them, which was my one at SLU, was very high pressure and full of impossible to answer curveball after curveball. I just dont think its fair that you tell people "dont worry about it!" if you dont even know who their interviewers are.

Again, not at all trying to be confrontational, but I just would feel bad if the folks on this thread with upcoming interviews didnt really prepare much because of the advice given on here because thats what I did and I am afraid it probably bit me in the butt :/ I really wish I would have researched my interviewer b/c he/she asked me questions about his/her field that I have never had any classes in, done any research in, or shadowed in.

Ahh, good to know that there's variation among interviewers. I wonder if your interviewer was trying to assess you based on how gracefully you were able to cover for not being familiar with his/her field.

And don't worry, I didn't take your post to be confrontational at all. People should always feel free to contradict my advice if their experiences differ from mine, for the exact reason you stated.

Anyway, anomedic, I stand corrected - Go ahead and do your research on your interviewer just in case. And good luck!

Has anyone who interviewed in early December heard back yet? The anticipation is killing me!

I was also there on in mid-December and don't think we will hear back until mid-January.

I interviewed on 11/19 and still haven't heard a peep. Has anyone else who interviewed around this time heard any news?

I interviewed on 11/19 and still haven't heard a peep. Has anyone else who interviewed around this time heard any news?

I interviewed with you and he told us 3-4 weeks if I recall correctly and I havnt heard either! they must be backed up for the holidays??

I interviewed with you and he told us 3-4 weeks if I recall correctly and I havnt heard either! they must be backed up for the holidays??
Yep that's what I'm assuming. I remember hearing that time frame as well. Hoping to hear soon !

I interviewed Tues 11/26 and haven't heard back yet either. Thanks for the guesstimate on 1-17. Let's cross our fingers.

Just withdrew this morning, best of luck to whoever scoops up my interview spot!

Submitted my secondary pretty late (11/5) and haven't heard anything, but the other day I received an brochure from SLU admissions. Do all applicants get this brochure, or is this a preamble to a rejection or II?

Submitted my secondary pretty late (11/5) and haven't heard anything, but the other day I received an brochure from SLU admissions. Do all applicants get this brochure, or is this a preamble to a rejection or II?

I believe all applicants get this brochure.

Does anyone know when the December interviewees are supposed to be discussed?

Does anyone know when the December interviewees are supposed to be discussed?
I know they said decisions in 4 weeks on my interview day, but if November interviews haven't heard it'll probably be longer

From what I saw in past SLU threads, the committee meets once a week (it was wednesday last year) and when they discuss each file is dependent on when the interviewer submit his/her report. I think we should be hearing back sometime this month.

I feel like the interview is weighed not that importantly in SLU's decision because during the lunch on my interview day, Dr. Willmore told us to not be nervous and the interview is only a small part of the whole application. I thought he was just saying that to make us comfortable. However during my interview, my interviewer obviously thought I was a good candidate but told me that all he could do was write a good report and hope for the best. He does not have much control on the final decision beyond that because it will be made by the committee voting.

Last edited:
Has anyone who was supposed to interview today 1/6 heard whether todays interview day is cancelled? The SLU snow line says that all university departments are closed including the school of medicine. I assume this means it's cancelled but I have not gotten any information from them?

Edit: the admissions office plans to stay open today despite the closure but if you're scheduled for an interview today you are supposed to call and leave a voicemail saying whether you plan on attending or need to reschedule.

Last edited:
Interviewed at SLU on 11/18 and was waitlisted on 12/20. I am OOS. Does anyone have any information on how much the waitlist usually moves, if at all? I assume I could find this out by looking through the past years' threads, but I'm kinda lazy and am hoping someone already has the answer to my question. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Has anyone who interviewed in early December heard back yet? The anticipation is killing me!
No I interviewed on 12/9. I've noticed a lot of people posted on Fridays about their acceptances so I'm hoping to hear this Friday... but that may be wishful thinking.

No I interviewed on 12/9. I've noticed a lot of people posted on Fridays about their acceptances so I'm hoping to hear this Friday... but that may be wishful thinking.

checked online, nada yet

Last edited:
We can check our post-interview status online?

"The Committee on Admissions will review your application and notify you when a decision is made. " is this it? or is this the standard message after your app is complete?

"The Committee on Admissions will review your application and notify you when a decision is made. " is this it? or is this the standard message after your app is complete?
I interpreted it as post-secondary status :) Hopefully we will hear back soon.. the wait is killing me :xf:

interviewed on 11/19 and still nothing...hoping to hear Friday but looks like December interviewees have to wait a bit more. although remember it all depends on whether your interviewer attended the adcom meeting on time

I interpreted it as post-secondary status :) Hopefully we will hear back soon.. the wait is killing me :xf:

Me too, if gmail got a penny for ever time I check my email, it would rain Benjamins at their office!

Reactions: 3 users
Alternate list :( Not at all surprised though based on how challenging my interview was and how many times the words "I dont know" came out of my mouth haha... alas.

Interviewed 11/19ish for those wondering

Alternate list :( Not at all surprised though based on how challenging my interview was and how many times the words "I dont know" came out of my mouth haha... alas.

Interviewed 11/19ish for those wondering
Well it sounds like you're still in the running and have some other great options :) I interviewed on 11/19 as well and getting pretty antsy!

Alternate list today from my 11/18 interview. Also had a tough interview. Bummer.

I interviewed on 11/18 as well but haven't heard anything...

II, yay! Complete mid September and there are plenty of dates throughout February left.

I got an ii today too!