2013-2014 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone receiving notifications through email? I interviewed mid-January and haven't hear anything. I know you get a phone call or snail mail for acceptance, but is rejection only snail mail?
All rejections that people have reported on this thread (both pre- and post- interview) have been by snail mail.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Acceptances happen either on the phone or through snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone with IIs! Just out of curiosity, did you send an update letter at all? I've been complete since October and was considering sending one.

I sent them an email last week for a status update on my application and received a response that my application was still under review. Later that same evening I got an II. They don't take pre-interview application updates.

So... I know for a fact my post office lost an important letter for me recently or delivered it to the wrong address... what if Stanford has already sent me a rejection letter but I just haven't received it :(

I was also concerned and was glued to my inboxes, so I just sent them an email. They might be able to confirm.

Cool. I bet a few of us have the same concern. Let us know what they say, please!

it seems as if a ton of people got waitlisted. is if safe to assume that this year is gonna have zero movement off the wait list like the last couple years? I just want to know if there is still hope :(

it seems as if a ton of people got waitlisted. is if safe to assume that this year is gonna have zero movement off the wait list like the last couple years? I just want to know if there is still hope :(

Accepted!! Interviewed 2/14

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any particularly good threads for interview advice? I've never done an MMI before.

Last edited:
Another SMSI here. I'm happy to answer questions about what it's like here.

Financial aid has been mentioned. Stanford aid offers are all need based and sometimes seem less than other schools in this tier. What's often overlook are the Stanford University Loan and the various sources of extra funding. First, SU loans may be made available to you in your financial aid packages. These loans offer up to $2000 per quarter at 0% interest and $2000 per quarter at 4% interst ($4000/Qtr total). Way better than Stafford, grad plus, etc. Then you can get money to do research $2700/Qtr for med scholars and $4000-$19000/Qtr for TAing. Here's some more info: http://med.stanford.edu/md/mdhandbo...stantship & MedScholars Rates for 2013-14.pdf All said and done, the average debt at graduation is low and manageable, and that's before considering loan forgiveness programs: https://www.aamc.org/services/first/first_factsheets/112344/public_service_loan_forgiveness.html 10 years at IBR and your federal loans are forgiven.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! That's a pretty quick turn around! Was it by phone call or snail mail?

Phone call from Dean Garcia! Ya surprisingly fast turn around. Wasn't expecting to hear until late march/april

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! congrats to those with II's and acceptances. For those of us still floating in limbo, can we safely assume that if we did not hear anything today, we should anticipate a rejection letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! congrats to those with II's and acceptances. For those of us still floating in limbo, can we safely assume that if we did not hear anything today, we should anticipate a rejection letter?

Wait why would we assume this? Is today the end of the notifications or something? Also haven't heard anything.....

Yeah I think it's safe to say that. The website states that they send IIs through February. *sigh*

So has anyone from the late January Interviews heard anything?? I'm over here sweating bullets

I interviewed mid/late January and still haven't heard either way. Would love to hear about anyone else, good or bad.

I interviewed mid-February and recently got accepted...

I was in the late January group. crossing my fingers for you @mcatteach!

I got an interview invite this morning. That was unexpected!

Interviewed in October and still have no decision. Anyone else on the same boat?

Yeah, total silence from Stanford over here too. I wish their admissions office knew how to use phones...

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether or not a facebook group will be created or if anyone plans on creating one?

Are you waiting for an II or reject, too or did you already interview? If so, what'd you think of Stanford, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Interviewed in the second to last interview group in late Feb. Grew up in the Bay Area, so was pretty familiar with Stanford and its reputation.

Any recently accepted students receive a package or email about revisit? I got a call from Dean Garcia last week but haven't heard anything since.

Any recently accepted students receive a package or email about revisit? I got a call from Dean Garcia last week but haven't heard anything since.

I got an email from the director of MD admissions with details regarding the Stanford admit weekend. (About 9 days ago)

I got an email from the director of MD admissions with details regarding the Stanford admit weekend. (About 9 days ago)
When did you receive your call?

So why no rejection letter... Still...

Wait list letter came in the mail today. Does anyone think they will be pulling from the wait list this year since they over admitted last year?

Wait list letter came in the mail today. Does anyone think they will be pulling from the wait list this year since they over admitted last year?
I can't help with ur question (though I hope your theory is right). when did u interview?

Hey guys my friend wanted y'all to know that Stanford is calling people today. She just got the call-Accepted! :)

Good luck to the rest of you!

Last edited: