2013-2014 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone follow the 1-3 sentences for the #5 post? It allows for 1500 characters, but this is definitely more than the "recommended" 1-3 sentences. I am just wondering what people did...Thanks!

It's probably not a big deal if you went to 4 or 5 sentences, especially if you have something important to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I am pre-writing my secondaries right now and would appreciate if any of you who submitted your secondaries to kindly answer a question for me.

On the first question, do you simply list the five attributes? I see that all of those questions have a 1500 character limit, but if you are simply listing, how are you supposed to write 1500 characters? I simply listed the five attributes.

Hello All,

I am pre-writing my secondaries right now and would appreciate if any of you who submitted your secondaries to kindly answer a question for me.

On the first question, do you simply list the five attributes? I see that all of those questions have a 1500 character limit, but if you are simply listing, how are you supposed to write 1500 characters? I simply listed the five attributes.

I just made a paragraph out of a list like this. "1)Attribute 1-............2)Attribute 2-........3)Attribute 3..." and filled it to 1500 characters.

I literally just listed five things. I figured the 1500 character limit for every prompt was just because they didn't feel like customizing it for each. No one wrote 1500 characters for the 3 sentence question, right?

I literally just listed five things. I figured the 1500 character limit for every prompt was just because they didn't feel like customizing it for each. No one wrote 1500 characters for the 3 sentence question, right?

For the 5 characteristics essay I reflected on my shadowing experience and wrote a paragraph about how I saw him exhibit those 5 things. It felt weird to just list them. For the 3 sentence one, I wrote..well.. 3 sentences lol

Last year, an applicant called about the listing the attributes question.

The adcom stated "We would like you to write 2-3 sentences per attribute and explain why you chose that specific attribute with the 2-3 sentences."

This was last year though...

Last year, an applicant called about the listing the attributes question.

The adcom stated "We would like you to write 2-3 sentences per attribute and explain why you chose that specific attribute with the 2-3 sentences."

This was last year though...

Haha just awesome.

II this morning!! for 9/9 I was complete 7/16. FYI I just listed five attributes, that is what the directions said so that was what I did!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what time the interview starts? I have scoured the email I got this morning and the site and I can't find a report time, just an address and a date

Straight from the interview confirmation page:

The day begins at 9:30a.m. and will last until approximately 3:00p.m. Your day will consist of a 30 minute interview with one of our medical students and a 30 minute interview with a faculty member. In addition, you will have a presentation regarding our curriculum, a building tour, and of course you will meet with our Admissions team that will be very happy to answer any questions. Lunch will be provided.

Is there anyone here who completed after 7/23 and got an interview?

Just got an II this morning. Very Excited!

Does anyone know that stats for: # of secondaries, # of interviews, and # accepted for out of state?

Thanks!

Just got an II this morning. Very Excited!

Does anyone know that stats for: # of secondaries, # of interviews, and # accepted for out of state?

Thanks!
The MSAR says for OOS TCMC interviewed 206, Matriculated 26. Not sure about any of the other numbers sorry!

Ouch! Just about a 10% acceptance rate from interview! that's not really good

Ouch! Just about a 10% acceptance rate from interview! that's not really good

It's really 10% matriculation rate. Many more offers are given to those that choose to attend elsewhere.

ii, excited because it's my top choice. Second time interviewing here. Love the building.

Hi everyone, M1 here. I just want to wish you all best of luck this year. I haven't looked back to see if any stats were mentioned yet, but of ~5000 applicants ~600 were interviewed last year. From my interview group, only a few were accepted and a lot more than expected were denied.

My guess is that of the 600 interviewed, 200 are accepted. The waitlist movement is really tight.

As for reasons to attend the school, the teaching here is phenomenal!!! I'm used to being taught my lecturers that care more about their research projects than organizing their material to teach in an effective way. From what I've heard, the bad faculty at TCMC have been released. It's only been two weeks of class, but it really feels like it's been a month because of all the content that's been thrown at us; but all of it seems manageable because the faculty are such GREAT teachers. Both faculty and staff really care about the students. I LOVE TCMC!!!! :)

Hi everyone, M1 here. I just want to wish you all best of luck this year. I haven't looked back to see if any stats were mentioned yet, but of ~5000 applicants ~600 were interviewed last year. From my interview group, only a few were accepted and a lot more than expected were denied.

My guess is that of the 600 interviewed, 200 are accepted. The waitlist movement is really tight.

As for reasons to attend the school, the teaching here is phenomenal!!! I'm used to being taught my lecturers that care more about their research projects than organizing their material to teach in an effective way. From what I've heard, the bad faculty at TCMC have been released. It's only been two weeks of class, but it really feels like it's been a month because of all the content that's been thrown at us; but all of it seems manageable because the faculty are such GREAT teachers. Both faculty and staff really care about the students. I LOVE TCMC!!!! :)

In addition, 30% OOS. I had no ties whatsoever to the state. However, I strongly believe in their mission and values which was clear in my personal statement and secondary app. So as long as you show strong interest, you'll be considered-- if your stats are good ;)

In addition, 30% OOS. I had no ties whatsoever to the state. However, I strongly believe in their mission and values which was clear in my personal statement and secondary app. So as long as you show strong interest, you'll be considered-- if your stats are good ;)

I am from the area originally (now west coast resident), good ec's but stats are a little on the average side, having trouble stressing diversity in the secondary any tips? what is a theme that they love to hammer home?

thanks for taking the time to talk to us prospects!

I am from the area originally (now west coast resident), good ec's but stats are a little on the average side, having trouble stressing diversity in the secondary any tips? what is a theme that they love to hammer home?

NEPA, coal town school. Mentioning working class/blue collar roots would probably be a good idea, if it applies to you.

The racial diversity in my class reflects the population of the area-- mostly whites. They do emphasize on acceptance of people's differences, and that (although sometimes useful) stereotypes can be misleading. That's why taking a thorough patient history is so important.

Anyway, it seems to me that you could express the importance of empathy and that your experience with both PA and the west coast gives you a different perspective when interacting with patients.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! Complete 08/12.

Finally submitted today...I hope I'm not too late.

Did anyone follow the 1-3 sentences for the #5 post? It allows for 1500 characters, but this is definitely more than the "recommended" 1-3 sentences. I am just wondering what people did...Thanks!

I wrote 3 sentences. Three GOOD sentences. Really think of how you'd fit into the area, and try to get that through in 3 (I'm sure they're not going to throw your app out if you write 4 or 5, but I'd try to stick to what they ask) sentences!

That reminds me. I'm one of the people that just listed five words for the first prompt...didn't seem to affect getting an interview.

Just received an II today! Scheduled for October 4th. I was complete August 13th.

My interview is scheduled for 10/04. Does anyone know how difficult it would be for me to reschedule for the following day?

My interview is scheduled for 10/04. Does anyone know how difficult it would be for me to reschedule for the following day?

Interviews are only held on Mondays and Fridays generally, at least that's what we've been told as ambassadors - the students who give tours/interview. I don't really know what's up with the person above who got an interview on Saturday - that's definitely the first time I've heard that. Generally though - the admissions dept. is very accommodating in terms of rescheduling, etc.

Interviews are only held on Mondays and Fridays generally, at least that's what we've been told as ambassadors - the students who give tours/interview. I don't really know what's up with the person above who got an interview on Saturday - that's definitely the first time I've heard that. Generally though - the admissions dept. is very accommodating in terms of rescheduling, etc.

I thought that was unusual that they offered a Saturday interview. I thought it was a glitch, so I called to confirm. They said yes, they offer Saturday interviews. It's perfect for full time employees like me who have run out of vacation days :)

I thought that was unusual that they offered a Saturday interview. I thought it was a glitch, so I called to confirm. They said yes, they offer Saturday interviews. It's perfect for full time employees like me who have run out of vacation days :)

So I checked it out and you're right - they do have an interview on the 5th. It's the only Saturday interview date though. Also, I should correct myself, they also begin offering Wednesday interview days further into Fall. Oct. 5th is from what I've seen - the only Saturday interview date. I think that's an adjustment to their new standard of 100 people classes. They added Wednesdays last year so maybe they're seeing how a Saturday will work this year. Either way, good luck and sorry again for the confusion!

II! Complete 8/5, scheduled for mid October. Very excited about this one! :D

I haven't submitted my secondary yet. Is it too late :(

also, did anyone find their responses to their questions similar??:eek:

Some of mine were seriously almost identical. Still got an interview. Be as unique as you can, but don't stress too much. And why not apply? Unless you're super tight on money, the only way you'll know is if you apply.

I just recently interviewed here. My faculty and student interviews were both conversational. The building is nice too. I quibble a little about the curriculum and classes handling 100 students. Anatomy groups have been upped to 10 students and some students have classes that end at 7pm because of the larger group. All students start at 8 or 9am too.