2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to all!

PERSONAL STATEMENT: Be thoughtful and thorough; the Admissions Committee takes great interest in your statement.

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS: This form is primarily intended as your instrument to tell the Committee in Admissions about your specific interest in USUHS for your medical education and to explain your interest in military medicine and something about your experience or familiarity with the military services. Be creative and concise in your comments. Do not exceed the space provided. Please do not repeat the essay from your AMCAS application in this space.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm about to be a 4th year. Would love to help answer any questions regarding the application process, school, DC area, etc. as you need it. I am on the old curriculum, so I will defer those specific questions, but if you have other questions, please PM me or ask on here. I'll try to check regularly. Good luck in the application process!

i would love to go to this school

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'm about to be a 4th year. Would love to help answer any questions regarding the application process, school, DC area, etc. as you need it. I am on the old curriculum, so I will defer those specific questions, but if you have other questions, please PM me or ask on here. I'll try to check regularly. Good luck in the application process!

Do you think any of the medical curriculum is sacrificed to make room for the military parts, or is that just added on? Similarly, how 'military' is it on a day to day basis?

No, the medical curriculum is not sacrificed, there's just some additional parts, mostly focused in a couple weeks of field training during your first and 4th years of medical school. There are also a couple courses integrated in the curriculum, but they require a very small amount of time/effort. Day-to-day, you are active duty, so you are in uniform every day, but you aren't marching around or in formation, if that's what you are asking. 2x per year you'll have a PT test with your service-- takes about 90 minutes-- and some military required trainings/briefings once per year, but the military chain of command is careful to plan these out around the academic schedule to have as little impact as possible, and are very flexible to help you get things done.

No, the medical curriculum is not sacrificed, there's just some additional parts, mostly focused in a couple weeks of field training during your first and 4th years of medical school. There are also a couple courses integrated in the curriculum, but they require a very small amount of time/effort. Day-to-day, you are active duty, so you are in uniform every day, but you aren't marching around or in formation, if that's what you are asking. 2x per year you'll have a PT test with your service-- takes about 90 minutes-- and some military required trainings/briefings once per year, but the military chain of command is careful to plan these out around the academic schedule to have as little impact as possible, and are very flexible to help you get things done.

Thanks! My other curiosity about this school is the chemistry between prior service folks and non-prior service folks. Does it tend to be cliquey along those lines, or does the uniform and active duty status erase all of that?

Thanks! My other curiosity about this school is the chemistry between prior service folks and non-prior service folks. Does it tend to be cliquey along those lines, or does the uniform and active duty status erase all of that?

Any group of people is going to end up having some cliques. But it doesn't end up cliquy in a negative way - just who you end up hanging out with. You will do your officer training in the summer with one group. Your orientation will be a fair amount with everyone in your service. But each class is also broken up into mixed companies, platoons, and squads. Each 4 man fire team has people from different services. They organize us in several ways so that we end up interacting with a large portion of the class.

But realize that many of the older priors have families and are over the "let's get wasted Friday night" scene whereas some of the younger, straight out of college folks are "holy crapy I have money and a bazillion bars/restaurants at my disposal". People from these two opposite ends easily work together at school, but don't necessarily spend their time off together. Of course, there are all kinds of people in between also.

Good luck everyone! I'm a first time applicant with no previous service, but I've heard a lot about this school, I'm doing a lot of research on it, and I understand that it's a commitment. I can't wait!

Hey All,

I am in the class of 2015, so new curriculum group. We are half way through our clinical year or the standard medical school 3rd year. I am Navy, no prior service.

If you have any questions, I can give you some answers. Good Luck on the applications!

Hi everyone!
I've been trying to do some research online, but I figured I'd throw this out here before contacting the school: will a childhood asthma diagnosis be a problem (never had an attack, unmedicated 8+ years)? I've been reading a bit about getting waivers, but I'm a little confused about how the physical process works.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi everyone!
I've been trying to do some research online, but I figured I'd throw this out here before contacting the school: will a childhood asthma diagnosis be a problem (never had an attack, unmedicated 8+ years)? I've been reading a bit about getting waivers, but I'm a little confused about how the physical process works.

I'm in a similar position and spoke with a representative from the school at a medical school fair. From what I was told you go through the application process and after getting interviewed and accepted you must complete a medical history and exam. By including a history of asthma you automatically fail and at that point request a waiver. They send you to a doctor (based on the branch you choose I think) and based on that doctors evaluation you may or may not receive a waiver. If you have not had an attack or used asthma meds in years you're more likely to get waived.

If there are any current students who have already been through the waiver process I would love to hear their input as well!

Thanks so much! Nothing like adding a little bit of stress to an already stressful process, huh? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar position and spoke with a representative from the school at a medical school fair. From what I was told you go through the application process and after getting interviewed and accepted you must complete a medical history and exam. By including a history of asthma you automatically fail and at that point request a waiver. They send you to a doctor (based on the branch you choose I think) and based on that doctors evaluation you may or may not receive a waiver. If you have not had an attack or used asthma meds in years you're more likely to get waived.

If there are any current students who have already been through the waiver process I would love to hear their input as well!

Yup, you got it right. So if they say you need to get something waivered, they can request more medical records to back up that the issue isn't a current problem and they can request that you go see an independent physician to assess it.

I had to get 2 waivers initially and then in the review of the 2 waivers they found another disqualifying condition so I had to get a third.

I think I know the answer to this but figured I would ask. I am planning on retaking Ochem because I got a C- one quarter but wondering if I should send my app in now just for the heck of it. My stats are 3.4 cumulative/3.2 sci/27 MCAT Stellar ECs/Clinical experience, no prior mil service, but family history of service. Not able to do a formal postbac program because of overwhelming existing private student loan debt, but I can take some classes at my local state school while keeping my full time job. Is it worth applying now or should I wait to take my classes? Thanks.

I think I know the answer to this but figured I would ask. I am planning on retaking Ochem because I got a C- one quarter but wondering if I should send my app in now just for the heck of it. My stats are 3.4 cumulative/3.2 sci/27 MCAT Stellar ECs/Clinical experience, no prior mil service, but family history of service. Not able to do a formal postbac program because of overwhelming existing private student loan debt, but I can take some classes at my local state school while keeping my full time job. Is it worth applying now or should I wait to take my classes? Thanks.

Since USUHS is rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better your chances. You should also consider HPSP as well. USUHS is getting more competitive all the time.

I have a question about the clinical letter of recommendation. If a clinical letter is part of my committee letter do I need to send a separate clinical one and if I do can it be the same letter or should I request one from a different person? Thanks

Hi everyone!

So history of asthma is age based, but you might be above it if it's only been 8 years. If it's documented on your medical record as having "grown out of it" by the age of 12 or 13 then you won't need a waiver. There was some research that shows that lots of children having breathing issues which could be asthma but if they "grow out of it" early then it's not likely to return. It's either 12 years old for boys and 13 for girls or the other way around, I can't remember.

If you have asthma or medicine prescribed after that age then you will need a waiver - that was the position I was in when I applied. They may have you go see a physician and have a methacholine challenge. When I applied (which was several years ago now, so it may have changed), they encouraged me to write a letter explaining my situation. So I wrote that I hadn't had an attack since I was very young (4 or 5). My pediatrician kept prescribing me medication just in case, but I never needed it beyond the age of 10. I also wrote that I had completed 2 half-marathons and 2 triathlons during college without any problems. USUHS gave me the waiver without needing to do the challenge or see a physician.

It's worth asking, especially if you do have some sort of physical activity that can back you up like I did. When they invite you for an interview you should get info about getting your physical done. They'll tell you it doesn't have to be done before your interview, which is definitely true, but if you know you'll need a waiver, you want to get it done as soon as you can. That goes for all waivers, not just asthma. It can take DODMERB some time to figure out what you'll need and who they're going to send you to if you need to be seen. You don't want to end up in the position where they want to give you the unconditional acceptance but it's getting close to the end of the application year and you don't have your waiver yet because of government slowness.

Good luck all! USUHS is great - I have no experience with the new curriculum but it's definitely a good school to look at :)

Hi! I am interested in attending this school, as my mother (US Navy Captain - Retired) joined the Navy to pay for medical school and she had a wonderful experience with it. I was wondering if graduates are allowed to do their residencies in any field they wish (which for me is pediatrics), or if they are required to do "military medicine" (a term I saw used on the school's website) during their seven years of post-grad service? Thank you!!

Hi! I am interested in attending this school, as my mother (US Navy Captain - Retired) joined the Navy to pay for medical school and she had a wonderful experience with it. I was wondering if graduates are allowed to do their residencies in any field they wish (which for me is pediatrics), or if they are required to do "military medicine" (a term I saw used on the school's website) during their seven years of post-grad service? Thank you!!

Military medicine usually just means medicine in the military medical system provided to active duty servicemembers, retirees, and their dependents.

Securing a pediatrics residency would not be a problem in any of the branches.

Military medicine usually just means medicine in the military medical system provided to active duty servicemembers, retirees, and their dependents.

Securing a pediatrics residency would not be a problem in any of the branches.
Thank you!! :)

I'm confused about this: Do we need a letter of approval from either the army, navy, air force, etc... to apply to USUHS? Thanks.

I have a question about the clinical letter of recommendation. If a clinical letter is part of my committee letter do I need to send a separate clinical one and if I do can it be the same letter or should I request one from a different person? Thanks

Yes, I have the same question.

I also wanted to ask, if my letter package is a committee letter with all my other letters attached (in the AMCAS I was instructed to only list one letter) then do I have to deconstruct this package to be listed on THIS application?

Received secondary as well, I think we only need a military letter if we are currently serving, at least that is how i took it.

I also wanted to ask, if my letter package is a committee letter with all my other letters attached (in the AMCAS I was instructed to only list one letter) then do I have to deconstruct this package to be listed on THIS application?

Same here, I know my committee sends the individual letters as well. I need to see if my committee letter will count as one of the 2 science- I only had to have 1 for it. Plus my clinical letter is with my packet as well.

Received secondary as well, I think we only need a military letter if we are currently serving, at least that is how i took it.

Yes, that is correct. I'm not an expert or whatever, but from all the materials I've read a military letter is only needed if you are currently serving.

I got the secondary today too :). The military letter is an official military document that gives you approval from the branch you are currently serving in to attend a military school and incur an additional commitment.

MY school does letter packets as well. The instructions specifically say "do not list the name of your letter compiler if they are not submitting a letter." So that leaves the individual letters. I think in my email i will clarify this.

how do we merge these docs into ONE pdf if the format for word is locked???

Do we actually have to request our ACT/SAT score report, or can we just type in our score on the basic app?

Hi everyone!

Applying here as well, hoping for some love:love:. Does anyone know how they feel about surgeries; shoulder injuries from high school football. Any help would be appreciated.

The act thing is so frustrating... I am going to have to fork out $37 for a test that doesnt matter.

Do we actually have to request our ACT/SAT score report, or can we just type in our score on the basic app?

i didnt find anything on the instructions saying that we have to send the actual report. :scared:

If anyone emails to ask, could you please post what you find out

If you know it, you can just type it in.

This LOR section is the worst. I guess I'm gonna have to email my pre-med advisor to see who all wrote letters in my packet. Then I'll have to contact the coordinator at the hospital I volunteer at to see if she'll write me a letter. Even though she's obviously never seen me actually volunteer. Shaking my head...

Would a hospitalvolunteer coordinator lor work for the clinical letter or would a shadowing experience be better? I shadowed a Dr that was former.military med so I am thinking I could probably get a good letter from him.

they said we do not have to send sat an act scores. if you remember the scores, write them in.

how do we merge these docs into ONE pdf if the format for word is locked???

Having troubles too, anyone know how to sign the disclosure form; since the document is secured it won't allow me to sign it.:confused:

Having troubles too, anyone know how to sign the disclosure form; since the document is secured it won't allow me to sign it.:confused:

i jsust typed it...the formatting is weird but theres nothing we can do :/

Anybody know anything on their stance for something like arthritis? I injured my big toe five years ago and developed it. I'm worried they'll disqualify me because of it.

Anybody know anything on their stance for something like arthritis? I injured my big toe five years ago and developed it. I'm worried they'll disqualify me because of it.

If you can finish the physical training stuff and it's not debilitating, I wouldn't even mention it on your medical screening. Can't tell you for sure if it's disqualifying, I'm sure it depends on the severity though.

If we have to include all supplemental materials within 3 weeks, does that mean all of our LoR have to be in within the next 3 weeks?

On the Basic Application Addendum there's a section to check if you've previously applied...I noticed that there is a box for 2014. Do you think we should check that box, indicating we're applying this year?