2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an interview invite! Super excited this is my top choice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an interview invite! Super excited this is my top choice :)

Grats. Same here. 9/12. I'm stoked. It's also my first choice.

For the neurotics in the audience: 3.7, 37, non-trad, no prior service, complete on 7/2.

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grats. Same here. 9/12. I'm stoked. It's also my first choice.

For the neurotics in the audience: 3.7, 37, non-trad, no prior service, complete on 7/2.

Good luck everyone.
Me too! Except I'm currently serving and my complete date is probably different. But other than that, ditto on everything.

Hey everyone! So I was super excited to apply to this school because military medicine sounded awesome and after talking to the students they seemed to love it. However, after looking at the military medicine forum on SDN I was pretty disappointed. Everyone who was a resident or doctor in the military seemed to hate it. Any thoughts? I just feel like something I was so looking forward to was ruined :( Any opinions or GOOD stories from current docs/ residents in the forces?

For every person that has described having a bad experience on SDN I have talked to a military doctor or former military doctor that had an enjoyable experience. I think the overall SDN advice is good, do not do military med SOLELY for the money otherwise you are bound to be disappointed. There are downsides to having to do a military match, GMO tours, deployments, etc, but if you are willing to take the good with the bad then from the people I have talked to they really enjoyed USUHS and their time in the military. It is even more helpful if you are familiar with the nuances of the military and expect there to be things that just don't make any sense, but you do anyways.

Hope this helps, but I would recommend talking to a military physician in person to get a better perspective of what it is all about.

Hey everyone! So I was super excited to apply to this school because military medicine sounded awesome and after talking to the students they seemed to love it. However, after looking at the military medicine forum on SDN I was pretty disappointed. Everyone who was a resident or doctor in the military seemed to hate it. Any thoughts? I just feel like something I was so looking forward to was ruined :( Any opinions or GOOD stories from current docs/ residents in the forces?

I spent six years in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and worked closely with a lot of doctors there. I would say none of them regretted being in military medicine at all and most of them loved it. I can't speak towards the other branches however. My impression is that residency can just generally suck whether it is civilian or military. Like any other job, it will have ups and downs. Most of the gripes I have seen from people involve not really wanting to be in the military. If you can accept the military service aspect of it, I think the medical part isn't too different from the civilian side which has its own headaches.

I know a big fear for some people is the dreaded GMO tour. Again I can only talk about the Navy part of this, but GMO isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I would probably volunteer for GMO myself. It's an opportunity to be an independent provider working with a close knit group of people for a year or two. You would still be practicing medicine. The GMOs I worked with were Battalion Surgeons (this is a title, not a job description) directly responsible for the medical care of over 1000 marines. Every single GMO I knew loved it, and I know some that are trying to go back to the Marines after residency. It's a chance to experience camaraderie you won't find anywhere else in civilian medicine.

I also never witnessed some of the outlandish stories you might hear, such as nurses telling doctors what to do (that just doesn't even make sense to me, unless its a training situation). My opinion is, be excited. I know I am, and I've worked in Navy medicine. If you can accept the military service and understand the things that go along with that, you're golden.

On another note: I got my interview invite this morning for 9/12. If any one cares, here are my stats: cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.70, MCAT 30, 31 y/o nontrad, prior service.

Thanks for responding, guys. Those comments make me feel a lot better, hopefully I'll get an interview invite soon too (just waiting on a committee letter packet!). I feel like, more than anything, I would like the student population at USU, everyone seems great!

Congrats to you as well looks like I'll see you there I'm on 9/12 as well!

+1 See you there! Pretty stoked, just got to work after shadowing at Walter Reed and found the email in my inbox.

for someone with zero experience in military medicine, can you recommend any good resources to learn more about it (the process through med school, deployment, and afterwards; different service branches and military culture; effect on career, family, specialty selection, etc.)? i have the desire to serve, but i want to seriously consider if it's right for me. and it's hard to tell what's good information on the SDN forum.

do you think that admissions put higher standards on gpa and mcat for people who do not have prior service?

do you think that admissions put higher standards on gpa and mcat for people who do not have prior service?

Hard to say with such a small sample size of 3 or 4 people on SDN. I would assume they would give priority to those with prior service assuming all things equal. If they do have a policy like that, I think it's more comprehensive than stats. By that I mean you probably need to be more competitive in general. In my case, I think I probably got an interview because I have been shadowing at Walter Reed for a year and one of my letters came from a professor at USUHS. I have a basic understanding of what I'm embarking on dispite my lack of military service. I think it's things like this that they are looking for in civilian applicants above stats. Good reasons in your essay, family members serving, ect.

Last edited:
Hard to say with such a small sample size of 3 or 4 people on SDN. I would assume they would give priority to those with prior service assuming all things equal. If they do have a policy like that, I think it's more comprehensive than stats. By that I mean you probably need to be more competitive in general. In my case, I think I probably got an interview because I have been shadowing at Walter Reed for a year and one of my letters came from a professor at USUHS. I have a basic understanding of what I'm embarking on dispite my lack of military service. I think it's things like this that they are looking for in civilian applicants above stats. Good reasons in your essay, family members serving, ect.

well my stats are MCAT 30 (10/10/10), Cgpa 3.45 sgpa 3.47... i do not have prior service and I do not have family serving...but i think i wrote a decent essay and was complete 7/3. (i prewrote the secondary) do you think i have a shot at an interview? ): also im asian and from CA if that matters...

I should start preparing a LOI...does anyone know when the appropriate time to send an LOI?

Members don't see this ad :)
well my stats are MCAT 30 (10/10/10), Cgpa 3.45 sgpa 3.47... i do not have prior service and I do not have family serving...but i think i wrote a decent essay and was complete 7/3. (i prewrote the secondary) do you think i have a shot at an interview? ): also im asian and from CA if that matters...

I should start preparing a LOI...does anyone know when the appropriate time to send an LOI?

USUHS operates admissions a lot like every other medical school. Because you are slightly below their average in both MCAT and GPA there is a good possibility you might get interviewed but maybe later in the cycle. Or if you have something in your app that they like and stands out it could offset the GPA and MCAT to tip the balance towards an interview. You'll just have to leave it in the Admissions God's hands at this point.

If you have a good reason for wanting to join the military and you have strong ECs you absolutely have a shot. I think 1/5 of OOS applicants get an interview. Relax, it's going to be a long year and this was only the first batch of invites. I'd say a month from now would be a good time to send a letter if you haven't gotten an interview by then.

Last edited:
If you have a good reason for wanting to join the military and you have strong ECs you absolutely have a shot. I think 1/5 of OOS applicants get an interview. Relax, it's going to be along year and this was only the first batch of invites. I'd say a month from now would be a good time to send a letter if you haven't gotten an interview by then.

thanks for the encouragement. :)

I emailed my single pdf secondary a few days ago. I haven't received any replies or confirmation emails. Should I be alarmed? It'd be nice to at least get a reply saying they got my file. When/Did you guys get a 'complete' status?

I received email notice that they got my secondary PDF 4 days after I sent it. I got it in pretty early too, I'd be willing to bet by now they have a substantial stack of them and it may take a little longer.

I emailed my single pdf secondary a few days ago. I haven't received any replies or confirmation emails. Should I be alarmed? It'd be nice to at least get a reply saying they got my file. When/Did you guys get a 'complete' status?

I emailed my admissions counselor there and she replied back immediately that my file was complete

I'm still waiting on my clinical rec letter. Hopefully I can get it this weekend since they've started giving out interview invitations. I would be so excited to interview here.

Just saw the news that they started giving out interviews. I'm still waiting on one Doctor recommendation (everything else is in). So excited! Hopefully the committee has had some time to look at my app despite not having the doctor's rec in.

USUHS operates admissions a lot like every other medical school. Because you are slightly below their average in both MCAT and GPA there is a good possibility you might get interviewed but maybe later in the cycle. Or if you have something in your app that they like and stands out it could offset the GPA and MCAT to tip the balance towards an interview. You'll just have to leave it in the Admissions God's hands at this point.

Im trying to look for the average mcat and gpa and i cannot find it. what is it?

thx

Im trying to look for the average mcat and gpa and i cannot find it. what is it?

thx

PROFILE OF CLASS OF 2017
Each year, the AdmissionsCommittee interviews between 575-600 applicants and tenders approximately
300 offersto matriculate 171 students(approx. 63 Army, 51 Navy, 51 Air Force, and 4-6 Public Health Service) in
the fall. Academically, the acceptees Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and college grade point average
(GPA) have been consistent in the past few academic cycles with an average GPA of 3.6 and an average MCAT
score of 31.

This was part of one of the documents in our interview invitation, hope it helps answer the question.

PROFILE OF CLASS OF 2017
Each year, the AdmissionsCommittee interviews between 575-600 applicants and tenders approximately
300 offersto matriculate 171 students(approx. 63 Army, 51 Navy, 51 Air Force, and 4-6 Public Health Service) in
the fall. Academically, the acceptees Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and college grade point average
(GPA) have been consistent in the past few academic cycles with an average GPA of 3.6 and an average MCAT
score of 31.

This was part of one of the documents in our interview invitation, hope it helps answer the question.

thx! really hoping for that ii! :luck:

Thanks for responding, guys. Those comments make me feel a lot better, hopefully I'll get an interview invite soon too (just waiting on a committee letter packet!). I feel like, more than anything, I would like the student population at USU, everyone seems great!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the people who hate it are going to be the loudest and look for venues to express their feelings. People who like their position in the military don't really think "oh, let me go look for forums to tell everyone how much I love it here." It's the people who don't like it who have that thought.

I've heard so many physicians talk about their first assignment - being at the bottom generally means going somewhere you may not want to since you have very little rank. The people who had an open mind turned it into a good experience and ended up saying they're glad they went there. If you go with the idea that you're going to hate it, you're giving yourself no option but to hate it.

During a trip to LeJeune, I listed to a admiral talk about his first selection after residency. He knew his choices wouldn't be great so he just told them he wanted to go somewhere warm - he ended up at GITMO, and while some people would have gone into it saying it's going to suck, he went in with an open mind and now says it was one of his best experiences in the Navy.

I'm not saying not to listen to them, but do so with a grain of salt :cool:

to jamiechan

I interviewed at USUHS in 2012 with a 3.32/31 and they had an extra 2 months of interviews that year due to the volume. I was waitlisted that year and am applying again. I think you will be fine for an interview.

to jamiechan

I interviewed at USUHS in 2012 with a 3.32/31 and they had an extra 2 months of interviews that year due to the volume. I was waitlisted that year and am applying again. I think you will be fine for an interview.

:D! im starting to realize though that all these earlier interview invites so far have great gpa/mcat scores. Around what time last year did you get your invite?

:D! im starting to realize though that all these earlier interview invites so far have great gpa/mcat scores. Around what time last year did you get your invite?

I got the very first interview my year. It's all based on time, since they're rolling admissions. If you have decent scores with interest in milmed then they will extend an invite. I'm literally the person that waited the longest on the wait list. LOL. Hoping that's not the case again. Best of luck.

Got an II for 9/19 yesterday.

3.30, MCAT 35 13/10/12, USNA grad, 6-year submarine officer.

Greetings from a current student.

Question for current students at USUHS. Part of the mission of the school is to train physicians for military medicine.

1. Does that mean they are wanting students who are planning on spending their career in the military (meaning past the 7 years of required active duty)?

Obviously, the requirements are the requirements, and some people leave after the initial commitment, but USUHS exists to train not only military medical officers, but the next generation of senior medical leadership. While only 20% of military physicians are USUHS grads, they make up the majority of the senior leadership of military medicine.

2. Also, is it common for graduates to go inactive duty once the 7 years is completed?

My understanding is that the mean service time for USUHS grads is 17.5 years (I can't recall where I got the number, but think its accurate). So, it is common for USUHS grads to serve for longer than their initial requirement. I cannot say how many get out after their initial obligation is up.

3. To my understanding many students are sent elsewhere for their 3rd and/or 4th year rotations (anywhere from Hawaii to Texas to staying in D.C.) How does the process of being assigned or choosing the rotation site work?

You actually start your clerkship rotations midway through year two. There is a lottery system where you are given a certain number of points to "bid" for locations and the order of the rotations. So, there is a certain amount of chance (IE, is your class a bunch of home-bodies where everyone is trying to stay in DC or is everyone trying to get to Hawaii), and a certain amount of control.

4. Could someone explain how much money you make in medical school, residency, and once you begin working as a physician (use a pediatrician for an example) and compare the pay to a similar career as a civilian physician. I am just confused by the charts on the military websites that show O-1 O-2, the years next to it, and the dollar amounts next to each profession. I really appreciate your input on this one.

Thanks!

Its a bit confusing, but I will try to shed some light. As a commissioned officer, you get your base pay, which is determined by your grade and your time in service. You get a flat rate called BAS which is a "food allowance." You get BAH, which is your housing allowance determined by your location, marital status, whether post housing is provided for you, and your rank and time in service. Once you are a physician, you will get incentive pays for being an MD, a board certified MD, and then another specialty bonus depending on what you do.

This gets even more difficult to compare to civilian salary because BAS and BAH are tax-exempt.

So your total take home pay has too many variables to make a simple cut & dry comparison, but as a general rule:

As a medical student with no prior service you will make O1 pay plus BAH for Bethesda (generous) plus BAS.

As a pediatrician, you would be among the least well-compensated civilian physicians. In this case, your military pay will probably be only slightly less (maybe 5-10%) than your civilian counterpart. However, you will have no debt and will have drawn income over the course of schooling. You will also (potentially) be building a retirement pension (if that isn't changed by legislation) that is more generous than most.

Should you choose a career field such as surgery, the difference between your pay as a military vs. civilian physician would increase.

The moral of this story is that you shouldn't become a military physician for the money, and you certainly shouldn't go to USUHS for the money. You won't be happy. If you're just looking to get your school paid for, I would absolutely check USUHS off the list.

That said, if you have other reasons for being interested in military medicine, USUHS is a tremendous opportunity.

Greetings from a current student.
You will also (potentially) be building a retirement pension (if that isn't changed by legislation) that is more generous than most.

Do you know if we start building the retirement pension during out time at USUHS? We are technically commissioned, but I know that this time doesn't factor into our salary.

Do you know if we start building the retirement pension during out time at USUHS? We are technically commissioned, but I know that this time doesn't factor into our salary.

Yes and no.

Your time at USUHS doesn't get you closer to your 20 year mark, but once you hit 20 you skip straight to 24. So once you reach your pension without your USUHS time, you get credited for the USUHS time as well.

Any USUHS students doing research while in school? I'm a non-trad post-grad applicant interested in continuing research at the USU institutes.

P.S. SUPER excited about applying! USUHS top choice!

Last edited:
Any USUHS students doing research while in school? I'm a non-trad post-grad applicant interested in continuing research at the USU institutes.

P.S. SUPER excited about applying! USUHS top choice!

If you read about the USUHS curriculum then there is a capstone project all about research. http://www.usuhs.edu/curriculumreform/faq.html has some info about it.

If you read about the USUHS curriculum then there is a capstone project all about research. http://www.usuhs.edu/curriculumreform/faq.html has some info about it.

:eek: Thanks! It just keeps getting better! :)

Is the research done under a faculty mentor? And does the research occur under one of the USU institutes, or is it independent?

Also, I noticed it said that the project starts in MS-I, but most of the work is done in MS-IV. How will that work if rotations are done elsewhere? (My understanding is that rotations could happen at any military hospital)

Well, I don't usually post, but I have enjoyed tracking all of the info put out here! Got an interview invite for the 26th (3.6 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 32 MCAT), but going to have to turn it down this year...I'm active duty Navy Nuke officer and the Navy just informed me that I'm going to have to wait another year to start medical school. -sigh- another fine Navy day :rolleyes: (I do love the Navy most days)
Good luck to everyone! I'll see you next year if anyone reapplies!
p.s. USUHS admissions office was supper helpful when I called and explained my situation...they get my highest recommendation if anyone else has questions for them!

Well, I don't usually post, but I have enjoyed tracking all of the info put out here! Got an interview invite for the 26th (3.6 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 32 MCAT), but going to have to turn it down this year...I'm active duty Navy Nuke officer and the Navy just informed me that I'm going to have to wait another year to start medical school. -sigh- another fine Navy day :rolleyes: (I do love the Navy most days)
Good luck to everyone! I'll see you next year if anyone reapplies!
p.s. USUHS admissions office was supper helpful when I called and explained my situation...they get my highest recommendation if anyone else has questions for them!
Any reason for your resignation to get denied? I'm curious because I need a waiver for 3 months out of the 2 year requirement after taking PCS orders.

II for the 26th, see ya'll there

No prior service. Non-trad applicant. 32 MCAT, 3.2c, 3.45s, 3.9 Post-bacc, very strong ecs/lors with former federal service and rescue experience.

II for the 26th, see ya'll there

No prior service. Non-trad applicant. 32 MCAT, 3.2c, 3.45s, 3.9 Post-bacc, very strong ecs/lors with former federal service and rescue experience.

When were you complete/AMCAS verified?

Submitted June 24th. Verified end of July. Turned around the secondary within two days I think?

Congratulations on your interview. I sent my secondary mid-July, not verified until Aug 8. Hopefully they just haven't gotten to me yet!

Not based on anything other than speculation, but I think more IIs will go out tomorrow or thursday and I wanted to use my hundredth post as good luck for receiving one. Congrats to all who have gotten their II and to the other who soon will.

Google MEPS (disregard anything about the ASVAB since we dont have to take that). Does anyone know if my physical for HPSP will work for USU? I mean I am pretty sure it will as it is the same thing but just making sure.

Google MEPS (disregard anything about the ASVAB since we dont have to take that). Does anyone know if my physical for HPSP will work for USU? I mean I am pretty sure it will as it is the same thing but just making sure.

It's actually nothing like the MEPS physical. Google DODMERB physical and you will find information about it. Basically a vision and hearing test with a more in-depth physical. How in-depth the medical exam is depends on how you answer the medical history questions because it is the doctor's job to follow-up and see if those issues are worthy of disqualification. HPSP physical won't work for USUHS.

Hey just wanted to give prior service a heads up about what to wear to the interview. Because I'm a reservist I wasn't going to wear my Class A's, but USUHS sent out an e-mail with instructions about the interview coming up that mentions that they strongly recommend any prior service wear their dress uniforms to the interview. I'm rushing to get my newly issued Army Service Uniform together right now so anyone that has a later interview might want to get theirs together if it needs updating or whatever. Here is what they said in the e-mail:

Military persons (i.e. ROTC, Academy, active duty and reservists) are strongly encouraged to wear their dress uniforms, (AF-Service Dress, A-Class A, and N-Service Dress Blues).

Got an interview invite today. I'll be up there on October 3rd. This is amazing!!!