2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted last night. Interviewed a WHOLE 6 months from yesterday, on 9/7/13. 1st acceptance of the cycle and so relieved it is tough to put into words.

OOS 31 for those interested

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted last night. Interviewed a WHOLE 6 months from yesterday, on 9/7/13. 1st acceptance of the cycle and so relieved it is tough to put into words.

Congrats!

So do you think that was the last acceptance until the waitlist/rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations! I interviewed on 9/7/13 as well and was finally accepted last night too! It is a HUGE relief! I was holding an offer at UA- Phoenix, but getting very nervous to have to relocate. I cannot put into words how happy I am to stay in Tucson! :)

First week of April will be the next time we hear anything.. will either be an acceptance, waitlist decision or rejection.. good luck to everyone!

So nothing from here until the first week of April? Did you call the admissions office?

Thank you for the info. A least it won't ruin spring break!!

I called the admissions office two days ago and Julia told me that there may be one more acceptance date in March but we will know for sure what happens in the beginning of April.

Hm, I have a feeling that it might be today...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm banking on another hold email!

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. That or waitlist. I'll take either over a rejection!

Reactions: 1 users
Expecting a hold, but hoping for an acceptance... I'm keeping my fingers crossed all day.

Just received an email from U of A ... it didn't sound like acceptances were sent out today. The email said the last batch was sent out on March 7th and that my application was currently under review to see if I would be given a waitlist position or not. Looks like another couple of weeks until we find out the waitlist decisions.

:( Another hold email. But this one looked different:

Dear Applicant,

The last round of acceptances were released on March 7, 2014. Your application is currently under review for a possible placement on the waitlist. You will be notified of your final status for the 2013-2014 Application Cycle the first week of April.
Please feel free to contact the Admissions Office should you have any questions regarding the status of your application. The Admissions Office does not accept update letters and letters of intent.
Phone: 520-626-6214
Email: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Admissions Office
University of Arizona
College of Medicine-Tucson Campus

Anyone else get the same or different message?

Lovely. I "might" be waitlisted. I don't have the words to express what I'm feeling.

Sounds like we're all getting the same message... Think it's fair to say that class is full at this time?

So no one has been rejected yet, right? I just wish they'd let me know if they don't want me; as a medical school, you'd think they'd understand that false hope is awful.

I'm guessing so, as well. As much as I wish they would have just skipped this and waited until April, at least it isn't the axe.

Yeah this email seemed a little pointless. At least it's not a rejection yet!

When I received the aforementioned email I became diaphoretic with SOB and possibly almost had an MI, but alas another false alarm was catapulted my way

Never hated being just an average joe until now... :(

After receiving 4 hold emails, I'm beginning to feel less and less "desired" by U of A. Still hanging on to a slight glimmer of hope for the waitlist!

It sounds like so many of us are in the same boat. This current setup may be best for them to ensure their seats are filled but it does seem to be more distressing to the applicants than many other schools.

this waiting game really really hurts. :(

Reactions: 2 users
So I just spoke with the Admissions Office and here's the scoop I got from them....
Roughly 580 applicants were interviewed this season. They have accepted 170 so far. Last year, they placed 70 people on the waitlist, of which 30 got off and were offered acceptances.

So I just spoke with the Admissions Office and here's the scoop I got from them....
Roughly 580 applicants were interviewed this season. They have accepted 170 so far. Last year, they placed 70 people on the waitlist, of which 30 got off and were offered acceptances.

These odds are better than UA Phoenix though... last year they UA Phx took 5 off a waitlist that is anywhere from 60 to 80 people each year. That amounts to a 6-8% chance of getting in off the waitlist versus the 42% chance at UA. Also, accepting 34% of interviewed applicants is higher than average so that is favorable as well.

These odds are better than UA Phoenix though... last year they UA Phx took 5 off a waitlist that is anywhere from 60 to 80 people each year. That amounts to a 6-8% chance of getting in off the waitlist versus the 42% chance at UA. Also, accepting 34% of interviewed applicants is higher than average so that is favorable as well.
Are you sure about that waitlist number? I was told their waitlist was much smaller than that by an Admissions staffer up there...

Are you sure about that waitlist number? I was told their waitlist was much smaller than that by an Admissions staffer up there...
When I called, they said they placed 70 on the wait list last year and accepted 30 students from that wait list. What were you told their wait list number was?

When I called, they said they placed 70 on the wait list last year and accepted 30 students from that wait list. What were you told their wait list number was?
Sorry, I think I'm confusing everyone. I was talking about the waitlist at Phoenix. Your numbers for Tucson are probably right on if that's what they told you.

And there was a year (about a decade ago) where everyone was taken off the waitlist. Just putting that out there... :D

At this point, I'd be happy just to be put ON it! ;)

All I know is that a friend of mine is a MS1 at UA PHX and she was taken off the waitlist, along with four others. I don't know if that is standard but most schools have about 60-80 person waitlists.

All I know is that a friend of mine is a MS1 at UA PHX and she was taken off the waitlist, along with four others. I don't know if that is standard but most schools have about 60-80 person waitlists.
Yea, and it seems like Tucson is no different, as they will probably place 70 people on the waitlist this year as well.

You could be absolutely right, I'm just relaying what I was told. Who ever truly knows what goes on with the admissions process?!

It's the first week of April....i feel the rejection letters quickly approaching.. :(

It would seem that we are victims of an April Fool's prank. I'm suddenly speaking like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel on SDN! :)

Ohhh wow, SDN is playing an April Fools joke hahahaha

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1396391079.100325.jpg