2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that chart includes both campuses (Phoenix & Tucson.) Tucson definitely doesn't have 195 seats a year...

Class of 2017 has 120 students in total and 35% are OOS

Members don't see this ad.

II! Anybody else unable to select a date, I am not seeing any links on the calander after I upload my photo.

Got a, Sorry but we can not offer an interview at this time, email on Monday night. Tuesday afternoon I had an offer. Strange.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flat out rejected a few days ago via email. First rejection of the cycle. Good luck everyone!

Just out of curiosity, what did the rejection email say?

It just said that I would not be extended an interview. No hard feelings and I'm glad they let me know early instead of dragging until April.

It just said that I would not be extended an interview. No hard feelings and I'm glad they let me know early instead of dragging until April.

I was just curious because I got an email saying that they couldn't offer me an interview at this time, but that my application remained on file and I might get one at a later date. From last year's thread, this is a hold status and there were definitely people who got interviews after getting it. Just wondering if yours was different.

II invite as well! OOS applicant.

Does anyone who goes to UofA or anyone applying know what the lunch entails? Are we eating with medical students, other invitees, and/or medical school faculty? Does anyone know this?

Best wishes to all!!
The lunch is with medical students! And the tour is done by Medical students too.

Hey, I received an interview invitation earlier this week. I am a part of the first group on Saturday, September 7th. Anyone else? Let's be friends.

Also, I was wondering if the current students could talk about their favorite aspects of the university and location. From what I've read online this school seems awesome! I just want validation.

Hey, I received an interview invitation earlier this week. I am a part of the first group on Saturday, September 7th. Anyone else? Let's be friends.

Also, I was wondering if the current students could talk about their favorite aspects of the university and location. From what I've read online this school seems awesome! I just want validation.
I am part of the first group on Saturday! I figured I was gonna be up early and nervous about it anyway... I might as well get it over with!

I am applying to this school and Phoenix. I would love to live in Arizona. What are my chances since I am OOS? I just don't want to waste my time applying if they are slim

29 mcat 3.99 gpa division 1 athlete along with a few other ECs

Thanks for the input!

I have an interview at phoenix. Also OOS, also division 1 athlete. Your gpa is much better than mine. I have a 34 MCAT though. Also URM.

So basically you have nothing similar to him beyond both being athletes, and your interview has no bearing on the probability of his success? :laugh: I literally laughed out loud at how your response was the exact opposite of what he needed lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
It did brighten my day :) I'm pretty sure the URM status, a different GPA and a different MCAT mean way more about who gets an interview than both being OOS athletes. But who knows maybe they just want to interview every OOS D-1 athlete.

I also work at a computer all day and I'm bored so I really just want to argue for argue's sake...nothing personal I promise =)

Well thank you for the input! I guess I will just apply to both schools and hope for the best.

So basically you have nothing similar to him beyond both being athletes, and your interview has no bearing on the probability of his success? :laugh: I literally laughed out loud at how your response was the exact opposite of what he needed lol.

Also, I am a girl haha just throwing that out there.

Well thank you for the input! I guess I will just apply to both schools and hope for the best.

Also, I am a girl haha just throwing that out there.

Out of curiosity, what's your PR in the high jump?

Some advice for those of you who have not yet turned in your secondary:

1.) Have someone spell check your application for typos and grammatical errors

2.) Make sure you are answering what the prompt is asking

3.) For the UA mission statement question, don't forget to mention the unique characteristics of UA that made you apply there. Generic statements can be used for pretty much any medical school in the country and just inserting that medical school's name

5'10

I have a question about the secondaries.

How has your education, experience, and background prepared you to interact effectively with people who have lives different from yours (cultural, social, religious, educational, etc.)?

For this question, I have a good answer about how my experience has prepared me for this interaction but do I have to address all 3 (how education prepared me, how experience prepared me, how background prepared me)? Or would a solid answer for one be better? Thank!

Anyone interviewing this Saturday (9/7) going to the Pre-Reception thing on Friday night? If so, what are you all going to wear to that? I am a classic overthinker when it comes to this type of situation.

Anyone interviewing this Saturday (9/7) going to the Pre-Reception thing on Friday night? If so, what are you all going to wear to that? I am a classic overthinker when it comes to this type of situation.
I am going! I was just thinking of that as well and I am not sure... I guess like slacks and a nice shirt? Better to over dress than under dress!

I am going! I was just thinking of that as well and I am not sure... I guess like slacks and a nice shirt? Better to over dress than under dress!

I was thinking the same thing. I just don't want to be the only one that's not in a t-shirt and shorts or something like that.

Anyone get the ambiguous double negative email:

Receipt of this email does not mean you are not meeting the LOR requirement.

I received the "We cannot invite you for an interview at this time, but will hold your application in consideration" email a couple weeks ago and chalked it up to a rejection, but now I'm plain confused. Why send this email? It says all of my letters were received by checking the status of my app.

Oh well, I may never go back to Tucson. Bear Down, friends.

Anyone get the ambiguous double negative email:

I received the "We cannot invite you for an interview at this time, but will hold your application in consideration" email a couple weeks ago and chalked it up to a rejection, but now I'm plain confused. Why send this email? It says all of my letters were received by checking the status of my app.

Oh well, I may never go back to Tucson. Bear Down, friends.

They can interview you without receiving the three required letters but won't accept you until you have them all in. I took this as a general notification email to make sure you get your letters in if you haven't.

I actually just came onto this forum to ask the same question! I was planning on wearing slacks and a collared shirt just because overdressing is better than underdressing. I was just hoping people would be wearing shorts. Tucson summer is too hot for pants.

I actually just came onto this forum to ask the same question! I was planning on wearing slacks and a collared shirt just because overdressing is better than underdressing. I was just hoping people would be wearing shorts. Tucson summer is too hot for pants.
Oh I know! It will be pretty hot by 5, but we will be inside most of the time!

Hey guys, the night before thing is completely casual! Normal everyday clothes are ok!

It is absolutely not part of your interview or the admissions process, just run by students to help you see if this is the right place for you. Chance to get a student-run tour, see where your interview checkin will be in the morning, where you can park for the day, talk to students, get some food, see the student lounge, etc. Hope that helps!

just received a II but they only give me one available interview date to choose from (9/28). Is this normal? I thought they would give me a range of days to choose from

Oh this is fantastic news! Then I can just wear jeans! =) Thank you for letting us know!

Last edited:
just received a II but they only give me one available interview date to choose from (9/28). Is this normal? I thought they would give me a range of days to choose from

Last edited:
II Here! Freaking excited about this. I've always wanted to live in AZ.

But same here, only the 9/28 date available.

For reference purposes:

OOS, no ties, 3.87 gpa, 29 MCAT, Complete mid-Aug
Yeah they are only having 6 days of interviews this cycle I believe, with 80 people per day. The day is split into 4 groups of 20 people, so it still seems like a normal interview. I think they do that so they can just cram everything in and get them over with.
My understanding is they are just filling in the interview dates as they go, so they will not give you an option of dates. They just give you an option of which of the 4 times you want.

You should all attend this school.

Just sayin.
Agreed. Just interviewed here today. The faculty/staff were friendly and easy to talk to, the classrooms were modern, and all the medical students seemed so darn happy.

I adore this school :love:.

Agreed. Just interviewed here today. The faculty/staff were friendly and easy to talk to, the classrooms were modern, and all the medical students seemed so darn happy.

I adore this school :love:.
I have to agree with this! It looks like such an amazing school and I really hope to be apart of it!

Interviewed here on the 7th and gotta say I left with a very very positive impression. Every aspect of the school was great. The people, the current students I met, the faculty, and facilities, the town! Hope they liked me half as much as I liked them.

Interviewed here on the 7th and gotta say I left with a very very positive impression. Every aspect of the school was great. The people, the current students I met, the faculty, and facilities, the town! Hope they liked me half as much as I liked them.

Did you do the day before thing with med students?
How were the MMI questions?

I wasn't able to make it the day before as I was OOS and had an early morning flight. But it wasn't an issue since they pretty much repeated the same tour for those who didn't make it on the day of the interview. Don't worry if you cant make it. We still got plenty of time with the med students and they were really helpful with their insight.

I ended up liking the MMI setup except for the acting stations. One of my actors did a horrible job (they are undergrad pre-meds with no formal training) and it threw me off. Other than that the scenario questions were actually really interesting and give you plenty of opportunity to display both your personality and breadth of knowledge. You only get 7 mins to talk in each station and for most of the stations that wasn't enough for me.

What I recommend doing is reading up on current health care related issues to just get your mind thinking in the right direction. Other than that, just relax, smile and be comfortable. I actually managed to crack a joke or two and the interviewers seemed to be pretty receptive and commented on my sense of humor. I also got pretty emotional when talking about one of my experiences and the interviewer really sympathized with me and spent 3 minutes of the 7 I had with her talking about a similar experience she had. We actually hugged before I left the room so I'm guessing she liked me. Initially I was in the tell-them-what-they-wanna-hear mode but that was too stressful so I just reverted back to my normal self and it worked out better for me.

Anyways good luck to all you guys.

I did the day before thing...it was pretty formal. I got to meet several 2nd year students and they were super nice. I met the student treasurer and some other members of the student board. Very supportive group. Even though I spent a very brief time with them, it was worth it....this kinda eased my fears about the interview day. If you can, plan on attending it...it;s worth it!.
MMI's are fun! just be your self and even if you screw up in one....don't let that hold you back. Take every new station as an opportunity to improve. Good luck!

I did the day before thing and it was a lot of fun and helped ease the stress of the interview. As for the MMI's I absolutely loved it. Although some threw me off a bit I was just myself and still think I did much better by being myself rather than trying to think of what they wanted me to say. Overall I loved it and the time went by super fast!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm really excited about this school. I've already had one interview (just a regular format, not MMI), so I'm not as anxious. The MMI is still new to me, but from what everyone has described, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also doing the day before thing. I'm wondering, what is the attire for it? I think I read somewhere (maybe last year's thread) that it was casual, but you said it was more formal this year.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm really excited about this school. I've already had one interview (just a regular format, not MMI), so I'm not as anxious. The MMI is still new to me, but from what everyone has described, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also doing the day before thing. I'm wondering, what is the attire for it? I think I read somewhere (maybe last year's thread) that it was casual, but you said it was more formal this year.
It was mixed...I wore casuals. The day before thing is meant to be casual, so don't stress too much on what to wear, just wear something nice and comfortable.

I personally also wore casual, just jeans and a shirt. There were some people with less casual clothes but it was just a tour with the second years so you don't meet anyone that will be interviewing you or anything.

I was just curious because I got an email saying that they couldn't offer me an interview at this time, but that my application remained on file and I might get one at a later date. From last year's thread, this is a hold status and there were definitely people who got interviews after getting it. Just wondering if yours was different.

I also got this email, so I guess I'm on hold too? :p

Oh well. ^^ Congrats to those who've gotten IIs here! :D

Got an II just now.

OOS 3.08 undergrad/34 mcat, 2 years research based MS, lots of research/clinical ec

9/28. I am STRESSIN'.

II

IS
Complete Aug 8th
Good GPA, decent MCAT
Alumni with not much clinical experience but a lot of research