2013-2014 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had one of my two interviewers say "this went really well" and the other interview went (what felt like) very smoothly as well. I interviewed second day, so I feel as if they were pleased with the rest of my application to invite me that early. Maybe I just monumentally screwed up that second interview and had no idea. Time will tell, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad.

It is most definitely not all about stats. I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA and 28 on the MCAT. I got my acceptance around noon on Oct. 16th. I have no ties to the school either, but I am a KY resident. I have a strong feeling they take a much more holistic approach than what people think. I interviewed on August 21st - the first interview date for people that didn't go early decision.

I completely agree. Congrats on the acceptance! Are you planning on waiting on anywhere else or are you heading to Louisville in the fall?

Well, I hate to say it but it's very possible the interview didn't go the way you would have wanted. I applied last year and gave a terrible interview (stupid answers on my part) and I received the no decision email all the way up until early spring when they compiled the wait list, and then I received a decline for admission.

I hope this isn't the case for you as well, but I figured it's best for you to know. They may just be holding off to see how the applicants look over the next little while. Good luck!

I have an interview this week and I was hoping you could tell me a little bit about what you did wrong in the first interview. What type of answers to avoid and how you improved them this time around? Also were the questions pretty much the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree. Congrats on the acceptance! Are you planning on waiting on anywhere else or are you heading to Louisville in the fall?

My top two choices are UofL and Wake Forest, but I applied to 5 schools. I want to hear what they all end up saying, but I will more than likely be at UofL. WF is the only one that I would consider over it, and I know that my application isn't strong for that school - still stands a chance though.

I have an interview this week and I was hoping you could tell me a little bit about what you did wrong in the first interview. What type of answers to avoid and how you improved them this time around? Also were the questions pretty much the same?

Lets just say that there is a fine line between saying you want to be a doctor to help people, and wanting to be a doctor just for prestige. Apparently I just had a bad choice of words and it seemed to the committee that I was wanting to be a doctor just for prestige... Crazy, but apparently enough for them to decide against accepting me.

This time around same typical questions (Why a doctor, why science, etc.) and I just made sure to have something ready that didn't sound anything remotely close to next year. Good luck on the interview! Louisville is a great school, super laid back interviews, and I'm extremely excited to be going there next fall! :D

Do they meet to discuss us today?

Sooo. Do they always send out emails to inform us? Or is it possible they just won't talk to us at all?

The emails always come by the end of business day on Wednesday. No point in calling. They'll just say it'll be out by end of business day. Good luck!

They don't send the emails until Wednesday.

Hello I I have my interview tomorrow for Louisville and I am more than excited its my first of 5 interviews to follow shortly thereafter. I was just wondering have any OOS applicants been accepted yet. Did it take the normal one day after decision that people need to talk about. I will see some of you tomorrow I am sure.

Just got the email. Accepted! Interviewed in late august

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh no decision again.

Ah, sorry about your luck.

IM ACCEPTED! So happy.

Symmathos, don't give up hope. I felt my interviews went well, and like we talked about, they passed on me the first time. Maybe they actually just haven't gotten to it. Best of luck.

Congrats to those that have been accepted! And good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Ah, sorry about your luck.

IM ACCEPTED! So happy.

Symmathos, don't give up hope. I felt my interviews went well, and like we talked about, they passed on me the first time. Maybe they actually just haven't gotten to it. Best of luck.

Congrats on being accepted!

We've got a group going at https://www.facebook.com/groups/167662340100485/ if you'd like to join!

Last edited:
So, now that I sent my letter to accept my spot, I have until may 15 or so to make a final decision, correct?

I may go ahead and join the Facebook group, this was one of my top choices!

So, now that I sent my letter to accept my spot, I have until may 15 or so to make a final decision, correct?

I may go ahead and join the Facebook group, this was one of my top choices!

Correct. Has to be narrowed to one school by May 15th. The clinical rotation sites are what sold me on Louisville. It's just hard to beat 5 major hospitals to learn in!

OOS here. Congrats to those accepted!!! I'm so anxious since I haven't even received a secondary invite. Does anyone know if they will let me know if I won't be receiving one? ):

OOS here. Congrats to those accepted!!! I'm so anxious since I haven't even received a secondary invite. Does anyone know if they will let me know if I won't be receiving one? ):

Hello there! If I remember correctly, they do screen OOS applicants. How long ago was your AMCAS verified?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there! If I remember correctly, they do screen OOS applicants. How long ago was your AMCAS verified?
My AMCAS was verified Oct 1st... I don't know if I should call them, any advice?

btw CONGRATS on your acceptance :)

Reactions: 1 user
My AMCAS was verified Oct 1st... I don't know if I should call them, any advice?

btw CONGRATS on your acceptance :)

Thanks! I probably would since you haven't received a secondary application yet. From what I've seen even if they screen you out they usually let you know. A phone call couldn't hurt!

What kind of applicants would receive scholarships of any kind here? And when would one know about that, should they be selected?

What kind of applicants would receive scholarships of any kind here? And when would one know about that, should they be selected?

From this website https://medicalstudentaffairs.louisville.edu/financial-aid/endowed-scholarship.html :

"The Medical School Admissions Office will award all UofL scholarships to incoming students based on academic merit, MD/PhD, rural county of residence or minority status. The Admissions Office will notify individual students in writing if they are selected for a UofL scholarship; no application is needed. Most UofL endowed funds are pooled to offer scholarships in the above categories. Please contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions."

If I remember correctly they said for those accepted before January, they would process it all without any application and notify us sometime in the early spring.

From this website https://medicalstudentaffairs.louisville.edu/financial-aid/endowed-scholarship.html :

"The Medical School Admissions Office will award all UofL scholarships to incoming students based on academic merit, MD/PhD, rural county of residence or minority status. The Admissions Office will notify individual students in writing if they are selected for a UofL scholarship; no application is needed. Most UofL endowed funds are pooled to offer scholarships in the above categories. Please contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions."

If I remember correctly they said for those accepted before January, they would process it all without any application and notify us sometime in the early spring.

Thanks for info! What are some popular places to live? I'm ok with paying for a nice place, so long as it's not outrageous.

If anyone is interviewing on the 7th and wants to split a hotel room the night before, let me know.

Has anyone received an II fairly recently?

Last edited:
Thanks for info! What are some popular places to live? I'm ok with paying for a nice place, so long as it's not outrageous.

No problem! I've been asking around, and talked to an intern that went to Louisville on Reddit that gave a nice explanation. I'll paste it in below. I do know a lot live within 10 minutes of walking/driving, but some live at places like St. Matthews who drive 20 minutes+ depending on traffic. I'm probably looking towards Bardstown road, as there are lots of food places, but I know a current MS1 who I'll be living with next year.

"As convenient as it would be, I would not recommend living within walking distance of campus. Some of the buildings are quite new and look nice, but the majority of the neighborhood is section 8 housing and has a high rate of crime. That being said, there are plenty of really great neighborhoods that are just a short drive away and are definitely a bike-able distance.

1. The Highlands; this is the "cool" area of town. Bardstown Rd is full of coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, and bars. There's a small theater in the neighborhood, as well as a grocery store. It is only ~10 minutes or less away from the medical school. The neighborhood is quite safe, but can also be somewhat expensive depending on the age/state of repair the apartment is in. A friend of mine lives in Grinstead Manor and it's very affordable, very nice--I'd give them a call.
  2. Butchertown. This is currently my neighborhood. It's is being gentrified and right now is full of industrial companies (copper, cement, and, yes, the meat packing plant from which it gets its name). So it has its downsides. But the apartments that are available here have usually been renovated recently (the upside of moving to a burgeoning neighborhood), the neighbors are great, and you are very close to the "Nulu" area of town. This is Market St, and has art galleries, interesting stores, delicious restaurants, and a few coffee shops/bakeries. It's very quiet and very close to school, and I love it.
  3. A lot of med students and residents live in River Oak or Highwood Place, both of them near each other and around a ~10-15 min drive from school. These are apartment complexes, so you're not really living in a neighborhood so much as a "resort." They do have amenities, though, like a pool and gym.
  4. There are other nice areas in town (St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, Hurstebourne, Springhurst), but they may be a little expensive, and are all about 20-25 minutes away from school.
  5. Germantown. This is a large neighborhood that is bordered by The Highlands, Downtown, and the UL undergrad campus. the houses here are small, many of them shotgun, and old. However, there is a whole lot of charm to this neighborhood, and I know that the neighbors are all very tight-nit and welcoming. There are some great restaurants and neighborhood bars here, as well as my favorite coffee shop in Louisville (Sunergos!). The area is safe, although probably less so than The Highlands.
Hope this helps! Good luck!"

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting tomorrow It has been two weeks since the last meeting but technically this is the first Tues in Nov. since Oct had five. Just hoping it won't be three weeks until we hear something..

No problem! I've been asking around, and talked to an intern that went to Louisville on Reddit that gave a nice explanation. I'll paste it in below. I do know a lot live within 10 minutes of walking/driving, but some live at places like St. Matthews who drive 20 minutes+ depending on traffic. I'm probably looking towards Bardstown road, as there are lots of food places, but I know a current MS1 who I'll be living with next year.

"As convenient as it would be, I would not recommend living within walking distance of campus. Some of the buildings are quite new and look nice, but the majority of the neighborhood is section 8 housing and has a high rate of crime. That being said, there are plenty of really great neighborhoods that are just a short drive away and are definitely a bike-able distance.

1. The Highlands; this is the "cool" area of town. Bardstown Rd is full of coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, and bars. There's a small theater in the neighborhood, as well as a grocery store. It is only ~10 minutes or less away from the medical school. The neighborhood is quite safe, but can also be somewhat expensive depending on the age/state of repair the apartment is in. A friend of mine lives in Grinstead Manor and it's very affordable, very nice--I'd give them a call.
  2. Butchertown. This is currently my neighborhood. It's is being gentrified and right now is full of industrial companies (copper, cement, and, yes, the meat packing plant from which it gets its name). So it has its downsides. But the apartments that are available here have usually been renovated recently (the upside of moving to a burgeoning neighborhood), the neighbors are great, and you are very close to the "Nulu" area of town. This is Market St, and has art galleries, interesting stores, delicious restaurants, and a few coffee shops/bakeries. It's very quiet and very close to school, and I love it.
  3. A lot of med students and residents live in River Oak or Highwood Place, both of them near each other and around a ~10-15 min drive from school. These are apartment complexes, so you're not really living in a neighborhood so much as a "resort." They do have amenities, though, like a pool and gym.
  4. There are other nice areas in town (St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, Hurstebourne, Springhurst), but they may be a little expensive, and are all about 20-25 minutes away from school.
  5. Germantown. This is a large neighborhood that is bordered by The Highlands, Downtown, and the UL undergrad campus. the houses here are small, many of them shotgun, and old. However, there is a whole lot of charm to this neighborhood, and I know that the neighbors are all very tight-nit and welcoming. There are some great restaurants and neighborhood bars here, as well as my favorite coffee shop in Louisville (Sunergos!). The area is safe, although probably less so than The Highlands.
Hope this helps! Good luck!"

I've been looking around, all of these seem pretty reasonable price-wise, highlands seems amazing. Really the only thing keeping me from making a final decision on UofL is my fiancé, she's applied to Spalding and UofL for psych grad. I wish I could've said we come as a package deal. Lol

I've been looking around, all of these seem pretty reasonable price-wise, highlands seems amazing. Really the only thing keeping me from making a final decision on UofL is my fiancé, she's applied to Spalding and UofL for psych grad. I wish I could've said we come as a package deal. Lol

Haha, if only! I'm already set on UofL either way. Still waiting on UK, but I believe the clinical years at Louisville make it worth it. The prices don't look all too bad. Good luck on getting into somewhere with your fiancé!

Repost:

Has anyone been given an II in the past 2 weeks or so, or have they stalled since sending out some about 2.5 weeks ago?

Repost:

Has anyone been given an II in the past 2 weeks or so, or have they stalled since sending out some about 2.5 weeks ago?

When I interviewed last week, it seemed like they had filled up interview spots through the end of the year, and they are planning on sending out all the acceptances by then. Depending on who accepts/declines, they will send additional interview invites for the spots left open.

Also, the adcom is meeting today from 1-3, so those who have interviewed should expect to hear something soon.

When I interviewed last week, it seemed like they had filled up interview spots through the end of the year, and they are planning on sending out all the acceptances by then. Depending on who accepts/declines, they will send additional interview invites for the spots left open.

Also, the adcom is meeting today from 1-3, so those who have interviewed should expect to hear something soon.

Thanks for the reply. I'm disappointed that I haven't received one from here yet.

Thanks for the reply. I'm disappointed that I haven't received one from here yet.

Don't get discouraged, this is just the first round. Most people who apply here will likely be holding acceptances elsewhere too, it'll just take some time for things to get sorted. What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't get discouraged, this is just the first round. Most people who apply here will likely be holding acceptances elsewhere too, it'll just take some time for things to get sorted. What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all. I have a low 30s mcat and slightly below average GPA. I interviewed last year with a lower mcat, so I guess that is why I am a little negative at this stage of the game. I didn't get in last year because my stats weren't that great, which is understandable. I guess I just thought I would have an interview here by now.

You're right though. The game is far from over.

Last edited:
Not at all. I have a 31 mcat and 3.46 gpa. I interviewed last year in October with a 27 mcat, so I guess that is why I am a little negative at this stage of the game. I didn't get in last year because my stats weren't that great, whcih is understandable. I guess I just thought I would have an interview here by now.

You're right though. The game is far from over.

Yep. Hang in there, it's too soon to give up.

Just got placed on hold. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Yes, it means that they are interested, but they haven't reached a final decision yet. They'll re-review at the following meetings and decide as spots open up.

Also, I just got accepted. 3.7, 30, IS

Accepted! 3.9, 31, OOS.

Accepted 29 mcat, 3.6 IS, Spanish major, had a Dr from South America interview me and conducted most of the interview in Spanish. Not sure if that is what got me in but I'll take it

Congrats guys. Is this school open to updates? No decision was reached on my file, but I interviewed last week. If it is open to updates, should I send it to Ms. Osbourne or is there an option in the portal?

Accepted 29 mcat, 3.6 IS, Spanish major, had a Dr from South America interview me and conducted most of the interview in Spanish. Not sure if that is what got me in but I'll take it
Dr. Fernando? Haha wow nice.

Does anyone know anything about the second look that happens sometime in February?

Does anyone know anything about the second look that happens sometime in February?

No, but I do remember them saying that you can bring family/SO on that trip to show them around. Rather excited for it myself.