2013-2014 University of Virginia School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely interested in this school!

3.5/35.

Any MS'es know if students with lower GPA are interviewed or accepted? All I saw on MDApps were 3.8-4.0s :(

3.5/35.

Any MS'es know if students with lower GPA are interviewed or accepted? All I saw on MDApps were 3.8-4.0s :(

overall GPA
10th percentile:3.64
median: 3.8
90th percentile; 3.99

overall GPA
10th percentile:3.64
median: 3.8
90th percentile; 3.99

But remember those stats are for accepted applicants. Based on stats posted by other schools, matriculants generally have a GPA and MCAT about .1 and 1 less, respectively. And obviously the interview pool has lower median stats than accepted applicants. A 3.5/35 won't eliminate you from consideration.

But remember those stats are for accepted applicants. Based on stats posted by other schools, matriculants generally have a GPA and MCAT about .1 and 1 less, respectively. And obviously the interview pool has lower median stats than accepted applicants. A 3.5/35 won't eliminate you from consideration.

Thats what I was thinking too.
Hopefully they look at my 3.88 SMP GPA/ 35 MCAT as well.

Sept 3rd here too! Any idea what time they are usually over? I'm driving up from out of state and trying to figure out if I can make it back to work the next day.....

Sept 3rd here too! Any idea what time they are usually over? I'm driving up from out of state and trying to figure out if I can make it back to work the next day.....

Your interviews will go until 3:30 or 4, then there is an optional financial aid presentation at 4 that you can stay for.

3.5/35.

I'll be matriculating here in a few days.

I had a 3.27 GPA with a 37 MCAT, so your stats shouldn't keep you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did it take a while to receive the secondary for this school? Verified about 10 days ago and still nothing :confused:

Got an interview invite today!
I was complete on 7/20
Just a note: UVA accepts 65% of the OOS applicants they interview.

On an optimistic day 65% sounds great, on a glass half empty day......:(

Atleast they acccept 65%... texas only takes 10%.

I think he means that of the OOS people that are interviewed 65% of them will be accepted. They don't accept 65% OOS for the class it is more like 50% whereas Texas accepts 10% OOS for the total class, but I don't know what % of the OOS people interviewed are accepted for Texas Schools.

I think he means that of the OOS people that are interviewed 65% of them will be accepted. They don't accept 65% OOS for the class it is more like 50% whereas Texas accepts 10% OOS for the total class, but I don't know what % of the OOS people interviewed are accepted for Texas Schools.

Correct!

I was wondering how many students at UVA have prior military experience, and if that is a fairly important factor for the admissions committee at the school. I noticed that it was its own section on the secondary, and so I'm guessing they're at least fairly military friendly. Btw I am prior military :)

I'm a first year. I just left the Army a few weeks ago after 6 years, including command time. Your military experience will clearly help you, but no more at UVA than other places (except East Tennessee State which which has a large population of prior service and HPSP and places a high value on military regardless of residency) and no more than many other ECs. The bottom line is that it will help to distinguish you from other applicants and is a pretty unique EC. But you have to sell it to make it actually worth anything, just listing military will mean nothing nor will it help to type a bunch of military jargon in your application. In general I found UVA to be by far the most open minded, efficient, and holistic application process and that certainly helped sell me on the school as a whole.

Last edited:
I'm a first year. I just left the Army a few weeks ago after 6 years, including command time. Your military experience will clearly help you, but no more at UVA than other places (except East Tennessee State which is a school full of some really great people and places a high value on military regardless of residency) and no more than many other ECs. The bottom line is that it will help to distinguish you from other applicants and is a pretty unique EC. But you have to sell it to make it actually worth anything, just listing military will mean nothing nor will it help to type a bunch of military jargon in your application. In general I found UVA to be by far the most open minded, efficient, and holistic application process and that certainly helped sell me on the school as a whole.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate the insight. I didn't expect the military experience to make up for deficiencies in my application, I have all of the "normal" ECs as well as good grades etc. I was curious mainly because it is the only secondary I have seen that has a specific section asking about military service. I like this school so hopefully I have a chance to "sell" my military experience in the interview, and I definitely tried to in my secondaries so we'll see what happens.

hi all!!! i'm a new M2 so i think we've got an M1, M2, and M4 on this forum. should give you plenty of insight into how our school is :)

if you need any help or have questions, feel free to pm me. otherwise ill try to answer some q's from earlier from my perspective and sit around on the thread for a while.

first to quell all fears: i'm a IS 3.7/33 so stats aren't everything!

hi all!!! i'm a new M2 so i think we've got an M1, M2, and M4 on this forum. should give you plenty of insight into how our school is :)

if you need any help or have questions, feel free to pm me. otherwise ill try to answer some q's from earlier from my perspective and sit around on the thread for a while.

first to quell all fears: i'm a IS 3.7/33 so stats aren't everything!

What about 3.3/30 haha

mvenus - I have a few questions for you...

What did you really like about the school or curriculum?

What specifically makes this school special or unique?

What made you choose this school over others? Like the med schools in your state of residency?

I am trying to get a feel for what makes med schools unique. I would love to go anywhere that has a program and will accept me, but that's not what schools want to hear! :laugh:

I will be an OOS. My stats are: cGPA - 3.9; sGPA - 3.9; MCAT - 33P; PS - 11; VR - 12; BS - 10

1) i love my class, haha. shameless, but it's true. there's all kinds of personalities, we all mesh together really well, we have fun, and we all work hard together. i think it's because uva really works hard to build a community in your class rather than just picking the best students they can find. that's probably why that diversity question is on there. they also mentioned at my interview day that they were looking for students who would mesh well with current med students (because they know that "we've worked" already). so i really think personality is a big factor here, which is relatively unique for a med school.

but on a more concrete note, i also love that we have a shorter curriculum. it does make first year really long becuase you're going from aug to june (boo) but i think it's worth it to see your upperclassmen friends already doing cool things on clinic or applying to residency having done extra rotations and such already. it makes me feel more confident about my future, for sure. also i sincerely love TBL and CPD. TBL (team-based learning) has been a really great way to learn in our class, and most of our TBL's are usually very good. i like that instead of just rote reading material, you get to think about stuff BEYOND the material in a patient setting, like considering factors of insurance, access to followups, etc. CPD is just awesome because you seriously learn so much (i guess this depends on your mentors but most are great). i feel like i can do a history and presentation SO easily, and the physical exam is getting easier too. we also discuss other things like social issues in CPD. you get very close to your cpd group.

2) hmm... these days it seems like no one's unique lol. the shorter curriculum, the big focus on collaboration between students and with professors, our nice SIM center, community service requirement, lots of students do global health projects/research, we have a four-college system so you get more access to a dean as opposed to all 150 of us fighting for one, dissections in anatomy lab (which also doesn't start till second sem, making your first sem a lot easier to transition into), systems-based curriculum (so we do path along with normal), charlottesville

3) i turned down other schools because i seriously felt so welcome and part of a community when I interviewed at uva. i remember i was kind of "meh" when i was applying, but seriously after my interview, i was dying to get in and it easily moved to my top choice. you get a nice lunch, the faculty are so nice, love the adcom, and the other students are seriously just so so so happy!!!:laugh:

Anyone know the official abbreviation? UVASM?

our school tends to call it UVA SMD (school of med doctors?) but i know i wrote UVASOM on my app and had no issues.

For the question that asks about a personal challenge as a physician, did most people just talk about one potential challenge? Or can you actually talk about a couple? I feel like I can't really write 350 words on just one challenge...

i think i wrote about one and to fill the chars, i threw in some personal experiences/reasons why i thought the challenge was going to be my challenge. (ps, i've been pretty accurate so far haha) also like someone mentioned, you really don't need to use up all the chars. i know i didn't.

No worries! I do have one more question though. How would you describe Charlottesville? Do you like the community? What types of things are there to do there?

charlottesville is a lot slower to what i've been used to (went to san diego for school and lived in northern va my whole life) but it's definitely not "in the middle of nowhere". there's lots of (expensive) restaurants. good bar scene. LOTS of nature stuff for outdoorsy fans like beautiful hikes, vineyards, near the shenandoah, etc. i think there's a bit of something for everyone here. we have "regular" grocery stores but we also have the more specialized ones for natural foodies. there's supposedly a big music scene but for some reason i always hear about it after it's happened. :\ downtown mall is as chic as middle of VA can get.

the only thing i'll warn is that while there are a ton of great restaurants, most are out of the med student budget (at least in my opinion). however, we have several restaurant weeks in a year and students LOVE to take advantage of those deals.

I was wondering how many students at UVA have prior military experience, and if that is a fairly important factor for the admissions committee at the school. I noticed that it was its own section on the secondary, and so I'm guessing they're at least fairly military friendly. Btw I am prior military :)

i don't really know about the former, but i remember that lizzie (adcom on sdn) mentioned that there's literally nothing unique anymore for admissions committees lol but that serving on the military is def. a plus. i wouldn't throw it out there just for kicks but if you have significant stories to share, that'll be great.

Anyone know anything particularly unique about UVA? I like the small-group learning aspect, the 18-month pre-clinical, the facilities, and the global health initiative, but I'm having trouble finding anything else to write about for the first essay.

hm i hope i commented on that above! it's hard to come up with this. i honestly think the most unique thing is our community. i know that sounds like a load of BS but once you're here, you'll know what i mean. students truly love each other (there's very little back-stabbing, competition, scary stuff) and love to be with each other, whereas i know my friends at other schools still don't even know everyone in their class (what??). our faculty are SO friendly (generally) and will greet you in the hallways even when they're rushing off to clinic or you're dressed in your pj's. we also have this neat student-run honor system that allows us to do all of our tests online and some of them don't even need to be in the med school building (take em anywhere in the world).faculty truly trust us here!

Could talk about the interesting patient population because Charlottesville (for whatever reason) has a large number of international refugees, and is one of the main tertiary care centers for rural VA and WV. Also, they have a super nice sim center that is used heavily by the medical students. Flexibility of the grading/testing structure let's you have more time for other activities, and the weather is great!

ahhaha as someone who went to school in san diego... well i'm a bit spoiled so i'm not sure the weather here is "great" but you definitely get all four seasons.

Quick question, is it okay to use the abbreviation UVa? Or is it UVA or do I have to spell it out everytime? Thanks guys and gals! :)

i always write UVA because i think UVa looks funny but i don't think they care.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH!!

people ask every year. uva DOES accept letters of updates/whatever. just send it to their adcom email addy!

our school tends to call it UVA SMD (school of med doctors?) but i know i wrote UVASOM on my app and had no issues..

Most times that I see people talk about the school, it's UVA SOM. when they're talking about the classes, it's smd14 or whatever, but I generally don't see it called UVA SMD.

Does anyone know how long UVA generally waits after your interview to notify you of their decision?

What is the COA for students?

I know I can access the MSAR and find out, but I was looking for the cost AFTER finaid grants/scholarship/etc...

This school is really expensive and my family is living at around 30K-38K/year so I think we might qualify for the poverty limit lol. Interested in the need based scholarships/grants info.

What is the COA for students?

I know I can access the MSAR and find out, but I was looking for the cost AFTER finaid grants/scholarship/etc...

This school is really expensive and my family is living at around 30K-38K/year so I think we might qualify for the poverty limit lol. Interested in the need based scholarships/grants info.

For OOS students, the COA after need based aid is about 50k per year. This doesnt include any outside scholarships you might be eligible for. All of which is covered with unsubsidized federal loans (if you didn't max them out in undergrad) until fourth year. Fourth year, the loan eligibility drops because you're only in school for 9 months, but often still have 12 months of expenses. Many fourth years end up taking out additional loans to cover residency applications.

I'll have about $200k in debt at graduation.

For OOS students, the COA after need based aid is about 50k per year. This doesnt include any outside scholarships you might be eligible for. All of which is covered with unsubsidized federal loans (if you didn't max them out in undergrad) until fourth year. Fourth year, the loan eligibility drops because you're only in school for 9 months, but often still have 12 months of expenses. Many fourth years end up taking out additional loans to cover residency applications.

I'll have about $200k in debt at graduation.

Ah, the unsubsidized loans are gonna suck. Better find someone to buy my kidney :laugh:

I might opt for the 10 year IBR(with the loan forgiveness) as a last resort.

Ah, the unsubsidized loans are gonna suck. Better find someone to buy my kidney :laugh:

I might opt for the 10 year IBR(with the loan forgiveness) as a last resort.

What is the 10 year IBR?

What is the 10 year IBR?

a new repayment program. Income Based Repayment. Its a good option so your loan payments dont destroy your monthly income check.

And if you pay on time every time, then after 10 years the rest of your loan is forgiven. It might be 15 years :confused: not too sure.

Complete: 7/25/13
Interview Invite: 7/29/13

Complete: 7/25/13
Interview Invite: 7/29/13

congrats! would you mind sharing your stats?

I guess this means i won't get an interview (at least in the near future) considering my app was completed on 7/19 I think. But, life goes on

congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?

I guess this means i won't get an interview (at least in the near future) considering my app was completed on 7/19 i think. But, life goes on

3.8 / 37 urm

a new repayment program. Income Based Repayment. Its a good option so your loan payments dont destroy your monthly income check.

And if you pay on time every time, then after 10 years the rest of your loan is forgiven. It might be 15 years :confused: not too sure.

Oh good, so no sense in "paying it forward" lol

Oh good, so no sense in "paying it forward" lol

You have to pay taxes on the amount discharged. And under IBR, your loans are discharged after 25 years, not 10. Under the public service loan forgiveness, if you work for a non-profit for 10 years, your loans are discharged after 10 years, but again, you have to pay taxes on the remaining balance.

You have to pay taxes on the amount discharged. And under IBR, your loans are discharged after 25 years, not 10. Under the public service loan forgiveness, if you work for a non-profit for 10 years, your loans are discharged after 10 years, but again, you have to pay taxes on the remaining balance.

Does it need to be the same non-profit? Most academic medical centers are non-profit, right?

Does it need to be the same non-profit? Most academic medical centers are non-profit, right?

No, it doesn't need to be the same nonprofit and yes, most academic medical centers count. But this is something you should worry about in and after residency, not before you start med school.

No, it doesn't need to be the same nonprofit and yes, most academic medical centers count. But this is something you should worry about in and after residency, not before you start med school.

There is nothing wrong with early financial planning. Especially for those of us planning on going into primary care.

There is nothing wrong with early financial planning. Especially for those of us planning on going into primary care.

True, but in the next 8 years (the time it will take those of you applying now to finish any of the primary care residencies), the public service loan forgiveness program may no longer exist, so it's not something that I would count on being there by the time you are eligible to use it. And it's probably more difficult than you think to qualify, because simply working at a non profit hospital may not qualify you, depending on your contract and how you are paid (whether you are a hospital employee vs a physician contractor paid through a for profit group). But, these details aren't something that you're going to know as a premed, or even as a med student.

Aren't hospitals non-profit technically?