2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am kind of surprised at how quiet this thread is with only a month-ish left before applications are starting to be due. I hope everyone's experience is going well! I am going through for the second time. I've got my site list narrowed down (much broader than last round) and letters of rec are starting to come in. Getting transcripts ordered tomorrow. CV done and polished.

As a general question, but especially to 2timers, how much adjustment do I really need to make to my essays? I had some interviews last year, and they have been reviewed numerous times with a thumbs up. Should I address the 2time issue directly? Or just incorporate the experiences I have gained since the last time I did this, without explicitly saying "I did this during the time I did not match"?

I am also surprised it's quiet, but I've been so busy with everything else, I haven't even checked the site very often and I suspect it's the same for others. My CV is done, some recs are in, transcripts are in, DCT summary is submitted, essays are done and I'm working on the awful cover letters. I have one report that is de-identified and am working on another, and deciding which to use.

As for the essays. I'm a second timer also (which is cruel and unusual punishment IMO :laugh:). My DCT and I spent quite a bit of time editing them. The message is the same, but they're tighter and I feel they're more cohesive as a group now. There were some changes in my research essay because I've finished my dissertation since last round.

The bigger changes are in my cover letters. I've done a lot since the last round and that has altered how I see myself in terms of fit for the sites I'm applying to.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it customary for applicants to mention in their cover letters specific internship faculty whose work they are interested in? I know it is appropriate to mention tracks or rotations of interest, but what about specific individuals?

Is it customary for applicants to mention in their cover letters specific internship faculty whose work they are interested in? I know it is appropriate to mention tracks or rotations of interest, but what about specific individuals?
Yes, you can mention the person you'd like to work with, especially for research-heavy sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi - quick question to all, I apologize if it's been answered but I haven't had luck finding anything. For sites requiring a deifentified report, do sites prefer a scanned document of the complete report with identifying info redacted? Or, can I make a PDF of a Word document with everything redacted? I've found doing something like a "find-and-replace" for names to make a much more readable document than something covered with black marks. I do know that some sites require the original signatures, but I have prepared deidentified reports in the past with marking-out info on just the last page. Any thoughts?

Hi - quick question to all, I apologize if it's been answered but I haven't had luck finding anything. For sites requiring a deifentified report, do sites prefer a scanned document of the complete report with identifying info redacted? Or, can I make a PDF of a Word document with everything redacted? I've found doing something like a "find-and-replace" for names to make a much more readable document than something covered with black marks. I do know that some sites require the original signatures, but I have prepared deidentified reports in the past with marking-out info on just the last page. Any thoughts?

When in doubt, I'd say ask each site. Some may be ok with a find-replaced Word document, and others may prefer/require the entire original document scanned and blacked-out.

Also, if you still have access to the supervisor(s) of that placement, you could always de-identify, print, and have them sign that version

Hello all! I hope everyone is getting through the application process alright.
I work in a public defender's office as part of a mental health/justice system collaboration conducting therapy and assessments. The managing attorney wants to write a letter for me. My clinical supervisor is also willing to write a letter, but has less daily interaction with me compared to the managing attorney. My academic adviser suggested a joint letter in order to have a Ph.D.s input, as well as input from the managing attorney. This seems preferable to having them write separate letters since I already have two other Ph.D.s writing letters and most sites limit the letters to three.
Is it acceptable to have a joint letter of recommendation? Are there any concerns that I may be overlooking?

Hello all! I hope everyone is getting through the application process alright.
I work in a public defender's office as part of a mental health/justice system collaboration conducting therapy and assessments. The managing attorney wants to write a letter for me. My clinical supervisor is also willing to write a letter, but has less daily interaction with me compared to the managing attorney. My academic adviser suggested a joint letter in order to have a Ph.D.s input, as well as input from the managing attorney. This seems preferable to having them write separate letters since I already have two other Ph.D.s writing letters and most sites limit the letters to three.
Is it acceptable to have a joint letter of recommendation? Are there any concerns that I may be overlooking?

I'm no training director, but that sounds like a pretty cool idea (and great position to be in) to me.

Are letters of rec considered part of the baseline application? For instance, the only application requirements given by a VA I'm applying to are as follows: "Applications are currently being accepted. Please forward a completed APPIC application form and a copy of your curriculum vita. Applications should be completed using the APPIC Online AAPI process. No supplemental application material is required."

Should I assume they want 3 letters of recommendation? This seems like a no-brainer, that obviously they should want them, but they did not say anything about letters in their brochure or their APPIC directory posting.

This process has made my common sense go running out the door while laughing at me.

Are letters of rec considered part of the baseline application? For instance, the only application requirements given by a VA I'm applying to are as follows: "Applications are currently being accepted. Please forward a completed APPIC application form and a copy of your curriculum vita. Applications should be completed using the APPIC Online AAPI process. No supplemental application material is required."

Should I assume they want 3 letters of recommendation? This seems like a no-brainer, that obviously they should want them, but they did not say anything about letters in their brochure or their APPIC directory posting.

This process has made my common sense go running out the door while laughing at me.

Yep. "APPIC application" includes everything that isn't deemed a supplemental material, so letters of rec are included.

tagging onto this question, I haven't seen any of the sites that I'm applying to specifically require an original report. Are you seeing sites that are actually specifically requesting originals? I have mostly worked in systems with EMR, so the hard copy with letterhead and ink signatures wasn't a part of reports anyway, we just typed it and uploaded it.

tagging onto this question, I haven't seen any of the sites that I'm applying to specifically require an original report. Are you seeing sites that are actually specifically requesting originals? I have mostly worked in systems with EMR, so the hard copy with letterhead and ink signatures wasn't a part of reports anyway, we just typed it and uploaded it.

None of the sites on my list requires an original report.

Hi all,

I have one more question--does anyone know when interview season starts? I am trying to fit in some family time before it all begins, but i'm not sure when that is...

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have one more question--does anyone know when interview season starts? I am trying to fit in some family time before it all begins, but i'm not sure when that is...

Thanks!

Between the app due dates and the week before ranking deadline. Late November to early February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks!

Most places should list their interview dates either in the APPIC directory or somewhere on their websites. In general, though, with a few exceptions in December, the vast majority should occur throughout January.

That being said, if you're offered an interview date outside of January, the usual advice is to jump on it so as to minimize potential scheduling conflicts.

Not all of my sites list dates, so it's good to know anytime after the deadline is fair game. Thank you both!

Last edited:
Ok one more question--I went to Big State University, but was first admitted to it's Fine Arts College and later transferred to it's Liberal Arts College. Anyone know if I list these as 2 colleges, or just as one university? Or is this a Jason question ;)

When I contacted one of my former supervisors to ask him for a letter of recommendation, he said he usually has students draft the letter and send it to him for finalizing. Has anyone else encountered this? How should I go about writing a letter of recommendation for myself?

Ok one more question--I went to Big State University, but was first admitted to it's Fine Arts College and later transferred to it's Liberal Arts College. Anyone know if I list these as 2 colleges, or just as one university? Or is this a Jason question ;)

If it's at one location (and not one of the "branches" in some other town in another part of the state that some unis are fond of . . . ), I'd list it as one college. You didn't attend two different schools--simply two different colleges within the same university.

When I contacted one of my former supervisors to ask him for a letter of recommendation, he said he usually has students draft the letter and send it to him for finalizing. Has anyone else encountered this? How should I go about writing a letter of recommendation for myself?

:laugh: There was a supervisor at a practicum site we used to have that was fond of doing this. And then he'd still re-type the student's name wrong in the letter (some of these students had worked with him for 3+ years).

I loathe writing about myself. G'luck! :luck:

:laugh: There was a supervisor at a practicum site we used to have that was fond of doing this. And then he'd still re-type the student's name wrong in the letter (some of these students had worked with him for 3+ years).

I loathe writing about myself. G'luck! :luck:

Do you have the option of asking another supervisor? I think this is not a good sign and an unfair thing to ask of a student.

I could ask supervisors from years before, but he was my most recent supervisor. I've heard of this happening before, so I don't think it's too unfair, and I actually like having some input. He will finalize the letter I send to him and upload. I've just personally not done it before, so I'm looking for any experience/advice.

Do you have the option of asking another supervisor? I think this is not a good sign and an unfair thing to ask of a student.

I could ask supervisors from years before, but he was my most recent supervisor. I've heard of this happening before, so I don't think it's too unfair, and I actually like having some input. He will finalize the letter I send to him and upload. I've just personally not done it before, so I'm looking for any experience/advice.

I think there's a difference between asking if there are any specific points that you may want highlighted in your letter (as I've had folks done in the past) and asking you to write the letter yourself. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable writing such a letter and would prefer to find someone else to write the letter in their place.

Unfortunately, in the situation I described, most of the folks I described did not *want* to write their letters either but they did not have much of a choice. Our practicum choices are fairly limited. For some of them, this was one of one or one of two practicums--so it was write a letter for themselves, submit it, and hope he re-wrote it correctly. (Usually the students were prepared, knew other folks in the office relatively well, and would give them a heads-up to check the letters for any gross errors before they were sent.) I suspect (and hope) this is an extreme...

However, it still brings me back to ... there's no way in heck I would want to write my own letter. Let me suggest to you that I would like x, y, or z highlighted for these reasons, but even then I wouldn't want to draft it for fear that's all the letter would encompass with a signature slapped on the end (as I've seen done in the past).

Just my $0.02 though. I'm sure there are tons of other students with positive experiences of writing their own letters. :thumbup:

I have heard of this issue coming up for other students in my program. It really put them in a tight spot, because they needed letters from their most recent clinical supervisors, and these supervisors couldn't even take the time to draft a letter! It's really sad IMO, and reflects poorly on the supervisor in the eyes of the students. I know of one student who their supervisor told them to write the letter themselves and that they wouldn't even read it, the student would just upload it via their supervisor's account. How unethical is that???!!

I think in this situation I would sent maybe bits and pieces of what I would like highlighted (maybe a few sentences or short paragraphs) and leave it up to the supervisor to either complete it, or ask for more. That way, it is still in the supervisor's control.

SO I'm actually almost done with APPIC stuff. Way ahead of schedule.
Before you get jealous, know that I didnt match last year, and that's why things are a lot easier this time around.

Anyways, I'm in a tough boat. I dont know what my secondary/tertiary (can you even call it that?) theoretical orientation would be? It's so eclectic, I think? Yet, I dont want to put "eclectic" because that feels like a cop-out.

Clearly for #1, I'm CBT.
I love MI, ACT, Cognitive. I actually started out cognitive and moved to CBT from being solely Cog focused at first.
MI & ACT arent represented. Even though I love behaviorism, I rarely use stand alone behavioral techniques.

What say you? How do I most easily surmise what category I fall into?
Repercussions when applying to medical settings? (Dont worry- I dont really care all that much- I bet this isnt really much of a deal anyways).

Mod Note: Merged this into the APPIC thread.

Before you get jealous, know that I didnt match last year, and that's why things are a lot easier this time around.

Anyways, I'm in a tough boat. I dont know what my secondary/tertiary (can you even call it that?) theoretical orientation would be? It's so eclectic, I think? Yet, I dont want to put "eclectic" because that feels like a cop-out.

Clearly for #1, I'm CBT.
I love MI, ACT, Cognitive. I actually started out cognitive and moved to CBT from being solely Cog focused at first.
MI & ACT arent represented. Even though I love behaviorism, I rarely use stand alone behavioral techniques.

Repercussions when applying to medical settings? (Dont worry- I dont really care all that much- I bet this isnt really much of a deal anyways).

Clearly for #1, I'm CBT.

Well... congrats!! I am just getting started on cover letters, ::grumble grumble::. I can't wait for all of this to be over, even if it means obsessively checking my email every 4 minutes to see if I have an interview offer. :laugh:.

You don't have to pick three theoretical orientations, if you don't want to... it says "Up to" 3. Plus there is an "Other" category, so you could pick that and explain that. I'd probably either only list two, CBT and "Other," or maybe do that and choose "Eclectic" third. Just my two cents. Though I agree... I don't think this is that huge of a deal, probably.

Well... congrats!! I am just getting started on cover letters, ::grumble grumble::. I can't wait for all of this to be over, even if it means obsessively checking my email every 4 minutes to see if I have an interview offer. :laugh:.

You don't have to pick three theoretical orientations, if you don't want to... it says "Up to" 3. Plus there is an "Other" category, so you could pick that and explain that. I'd probably either only list two, CBT and "Other," or maybe do that and choose "Eclectic" third. Just my two cents. Though I agree... I don't think this is that huge of a deal, probably.

Agreed. I'd probably do what LETSGONYR suggest, and then basically just explain in the rest of the essay what you said in your post above.

Agreed. I'd probably do what LETSGONYR suggest, and then basically just explain in the rest of the essay what you said in your post above.

I assumed he wasn't talking about the essay, but rather the section in the "Additional Information about Practicum Experiences" that asks, "What is your primary theoretical orientation? (Choose up to 3 and please rank order)." Even less important than the essay.

I know you're done with the process though, and it's definitely a forgettable part of the app. :).

I assumed he wasn't talking about the essay, but rather the section in the "Additional Information about Practicum Experiences" that asks, "What is your primary theoretical orientation? (Choose up to 3 and please rank order)." Even less important than the essay.

I know you're done with the process though, and it's definitely a forgettable part of the app. :).

Ahh, gotchya; I had indeed forgotten all about that part of the app. Your sound advice is even more poignant in that respect, then.

Hi Everyone: this is my second year in applying and I have been told that cover letters are super important being that it is the first thing that is read? I am trying to rewrite my cover letters and need some suggestions?

-Do I include summary of my hours?
-Do I state it's my second year in applying?

What have other included that have been noted to be successful?

Thank you ALL and GOOD LUCK!!!:)

Hi Everyone: this is my second year in applying and I have been told that cover letters are super important being that it is the first thing that is read? I am trying to rewrite my cover letters and need some suggestions?

1. No. Thats on your APPI
2. I see no reason why they need to know that or how it would be relevant for them.
3. I don't think there is magic receipt. Just something that briefly, briefly summarizes your training experiences and/or strengths, where and why you want more training, and how that site can provide that too you.

Like erg just wrote, there's no need to rehash anything that can be easily gleaned from your CV and/or APPIC application (e.g., number of hours of assessment experience). What can be useful is to briefly review where and with whom (i.e., patient populations) you've worked, in what areas you feel you need more training/exposure, and what areas you're most interested in pursuing down the line (and of course how the internship site will help you meet these goals). I wouldn't take more than perhaps two paragraphs to get through all that, though.

1. No. Thats on your APPI
2. I see no reason why they need to know that or how it would be relevant for them.
3. I don't think there is magic receipt. Just something that briefly, briefly summarizes your training experiences and/or strengths, where and why you want more training, and how that site can provide that too you.

Thank you this makes sense

Like erg just wrote, there's no need to rehash anything that can be easily gleaned from your CV and/or APPIC application (e.g., number of hours of assessment experience). What can be useful is to briefly review where and with whom (i.e., patient populations) you've worked, in what areas you feel you need more training/exposure, and what areas you're most interested in pursuing down the line (and of course how the internship site will help you meet these goals). I wouldn't take more than perhaps two paragraphs to get through all that, though.

Very helpful Thank you :)

[QUOTE

Clearly for #1, I'm CBT.
MI & ACT arent represented.

[/QUOTE]

MI and ACT are third wave CBT approaches, therefore they are represented in the category of CBT. You're covered just by selecting CBT.

Clearly for #1, I'm CBT.

Are you referring to the essay? If so, you could first set the readers up for the transition from cognitive to CBT to now dappling in "contextual CBT" and what that looks like. When with a client - are you listening for antecedents, Bxs, Consequences? Are you also assessing content vs context? I think you have to operationalize operationalize operationalize if you don't want to appear to have a kitchen sink approach. As clinicians, there's a method to what we do, the essay is your chance to spell it out.

As far as MI goes, my advice - stay away from saying MI is a theoretical orientation or even a stand alone treatment. MI is a tool/set of techniques we use to help people move along the Stages of Change. It's most helpful for issues like medication adherence, smoking cessation, attending ETOH/SA rehab, etc. Bmed places know this and may get a little grumbly (it's a word :) if you lump in MI with CBT and ACT. You can explain how you use MI and how it informs your conceptualization and Tx approach.

Ok, my DCT is saying we cannot apply to more than 15. Well, he is saying I do not recommend it and trying to beat me into submission with jedi mind tricks. However, I am seriously thinking about defying him. I have 3 sites that don't do interviews and do optional visits if you want. I am applying to BOP sites and they just don't interview you at all the sites, no matter how qualified you are. The DT of their program told me 3-4 interviews tops if you applied to all of them and were really qualified.

Anywho, I have pretty much decided to defy him by 2-3 applications.

Ok, I am not getting this. What is the big deal? Is turning down interviews if you get 10-14 a big deal? Someone in my program turned down 4 and he had 10. That seemed stupid, but what in the heck is my DCT worried about. I don't get this.

Also, once he signs off on my hours, how will he know what I did? Do I have to show him my rank list? I am actually not worried about his blow back at that point.

I feel like I am missing something here....

I think your DCT is worried that your school will get a bad reputation if people get interviews and reject them. It is a lot of work to read applications and training directors sometimes look for reasons to eliminate applicants. Your DCT probably wants to make sure that your school's name won't become such a red flag for not-really-serious applicants.

Under which assessment category should I count behavior observations (specifically Dyadic Parent-Child Interaction System). The choices are:

Parent/Youth Report Measures
Symptom Inventories
Diagnostic Interview Protocols
Cognitive Assessments
Achievement
Neuropsych
Behavior/Personality Inventories
Projectives

Quick question:

Should I de-identify the name of the hospitals in my report? (i.e., Bellevue Hospital ------------> XXXXXXX Hospital)?

This is entirely my opinion and is based on nothing, really, but I'd say do it. I didn't say XXXX Hospital, but I made up a name.

It's hard, because anyone can look at my CV and most likely figure out where the report came from. But I felt more comfortable changing the names, so I did.

This is entirely my opinion and is based on nothing, really, but I'd say do it. I didn't say XXXX Hospital, but I made up a name.

It's hard, because anyone can look at my CV and most likely figure out where the report came from. But I felt more comfortable changing the names, so I did.

I believe I did on mine as well, thinking that was an identifier that was smaller than the state level. Might not have been necessary, but didn't seem to hurt me.

Hi All-
As I've said before, I didnt match last year. As I'm finishing editing my essays, I realized that they still for the most part seem very much like last year's (sans some significant changes to essay 1). The problem is, one place I applied- which showed marginal interest in me last year- I was planning on reapplying to again. Could this look bad for me, as they'll think "this kid didnt match, and kept his essays nearly the same". Is this potential pitfall a big deal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All-
As I've said before, I didnt match last year. As I'm finishing editing my essays, I realized that they still for the most part seem very much like last year's (sans some significant changes to essay 1). The problem is, one place I applied- which showed marginal interest in me last year- I was planning on reapplying to again. Could this look bad for me, as they'll think "this kid didnt match, and kept his essays nearly the same". Is this potential pitfall a big deal?

Thanks in advance.

Do you honestly think they will remember you, much less your essay content?

Do you honestly think they will remember you, much less your essay content?
haha, I suppose not. To be honest, I have no idea. Many, many things about this process seem very surprising to me and I have no clue. Very much feel in the dark. Seems opposite of when you apply to get into your graduate program- where if you have the right GPA/GRE/PUBS you've got a pretty good shot. Well, in that regard, I think I have all the right things, yet I didnt match last year and I'm not very confident again this year. :eek:

I felt confident applying last year that I would match last year and also did not match. I feel strongly that this reflects more on the system and less on me, but I would be lying if I said that at first I did not internalize that rejection. If sites showed interest in you last year then you likely were qualified to get an internship, but didn't likely because of the shortage of positions. Hopefully you're changing your approach enough this year that you will match. Everyone goes through these moments of doubt. Don't let this process get you down!

Is anyone still waiting on their DCT to sign off on their hours?