2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As our focus shifts from notifications to the interview itself, I'm wondering how much time people plan to spend preparing for each interview. I know that last year, I did not spend enough time getting to know the sites and formulating good questions for them. This is something I plan to remedy this year.

Me too! But perhaps another thread should be started for that. I don't know. It may be a bit stinging for those who did not get an interview. Or maybe wait a few days? What do you all think?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I sent out a total of 26 applications. That's way more than the AAPIC folks recommend but I *need* to match this year. I have 7 interviews with one interview at my top site so I am pleased about that. With that number of interviews I should match somewhere ... I hope! I am not terribly picky about where I go as long as I get the internship done and graduate. Some people may regard internship as a chance to get that dream training experience. To me its just another hoop to jump through.

I agree at this point. It IS supposed to be about finding training that matches your needs, but now I think people are just applying and taking positions anywhere they can match. I wish I had applied to more, I did about 20. Now I'm wishing I'd done 30. This whole thing stinks. :thumbdown:

I am so ready to start my career; doing what I love to do and getting paid for it. I have five places I can rank, but only 3 interviews. I'm terrified I'll not match AGAIN, and I just don't know what I'll do if that happens. Non-apa accredited sites? Drop out, with massive student loans and my dissertation almost finished? It's ridiculous.

I sent out a total of 26 applications. That's way more than the AAPIC folks recommend but I *need* to match this year. I have 7 interviews with one interview at my top site so I am pleased about that. With that number of interviews I should match somewhere ... I hope! I am not terribly picky about where I go as long as I get the internship done and graduate. Some people may regard internship as a chance to get that dream training experience. To me its just another hoop to jump through.

Amen! There's just not enough of a guarantee in being matched to limit yourself to dream training experiences...It's probably best to plan on obtaining more specialized training through CECs and fellowships after graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
As our focus shifts from notifications to the interview itself, I'm wondering how much time people plan to spend preparing for each interview. I know that last year, I did not spend enough time getting to know the sites and formulating good questions for them. This is something I plan to remedy this year.

With only two interviews it will be much easier for me to study the sites in depth. And I am doing that. I'm scrutinizing the web sites, reading everything I can lay my hands on that relates to the sites themselves and people that I'll be working with. I'm formualting a way to package my strengths as applies to their specific programs as well as formulate intelligent questions that show I've done my homework and that I'm eager to get the internship. Hopefully it all pays off.

Tarzana Treatment Center, South Arkansas Regional, or Case Western Reserve University?
:confused:

I agree at this point. It IS supposed to be about finding training that matches your needs, but now I think people are just applying and taking positions anywhere they can match. I wish I had applied to more, I did about 20. Now I'm wishing I'd done 30. This whole thing stinks. :thumbdown:

I am so ready to start my career; doing what I love to do and getting paid for it. I have five places I can rank, but only 3 interviews. I'm terrified I'll not match AGAIN, and I just don't know what I'll do if that happens. Non-apa accredited sites? Drop out, with massive student loans and my dissertation almost finished? It's ridiculous.

I hear you. This is only my first year applying, but I'm already trying to think of alternate plans. I will likely apply again next year, but after that, I don't know. I'll be finished my dissertation in May, so I'll be ABI. In that time I could have gotten three master's degrees instead of almost nothing to show for my hard work. I figure if I don't match the second time around, I can't keep postponing my life. I think I would probably drop out, go back to school for a master's degree in counseling or maybe just change gears completely.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations and difficulties--concentrate and give your all to those interviews, learn everything possible about the site! I wish you luck so that can get a move on with your career/life :)

I am in a total dilemma at this point, and am in a similar boat. I didn't match last year, and this year I have been fortunate enough to receive 6 interviews so far (still waiting to hear from 1 more site). It is tough for me to look at it as "my dream training" versus a "get it done and move on." I have an interview for a site that I applied to because I believed I would qualify easily for it, but in reality it is not really the type of training I am interested in, and not the path I want to take my career in the future. I am concerned that if I were to match there, I would have a harder time then turning around and pursuing the field I actually am interested in, since I would have no direct experience. Agh, I'm so torn!! But the thought of turning down an interview is terrifying, especially after last year!!

I just want to say for those that received few or no interviews, I feel your pain. I was in that spot last year. I don't wish it on anyone. I am hoping for good things coming your way!

Me too! But perhaps another thread should be started for that. I don't know. It may be a bit stinging for those who did not get an interview. Or maybe wait a few days? What do you all think?:confused:

I would love a place to talk about interview-related things. Even though I have interviews scheduled at 10 sites, I am worried about being that person who doesn't match even though they had plenty of interviews. I think that a separate thread would be a good idea and we should get it going asap, I think. January will be here before we know it.

Good luck to all of the folks interviewing this year.

I wanted to mention based on some above statements that I think viewing it as a "get it done and move on" hoop in your training is a reasonable mindset. Plus, it is just one year and it goes VERY fast (you'll be looking for postdocs almost right away). While your internship is important for some networking and honing your skills, in many areas it is just one more step. Your postdoc will ultimately be the more important lauching pad, IMO, unless you are in one of those states where you don't do a postdoc. Internship can be important for certain specialties (e.g., wanting 50% time for neuropsych), but really it is just one more year of indentured servitude. If you land in your "dream place" then that is really good for you - but you will also just only have a year there.

FWIW, no one ever asks me about my internship at all (which I was on 09-10). I do discuss my graduate program and my postdoc in professional settings, however.

I am still waiting on Lexington as well. Did anyone tell you they heard back?!

How many people are still waiting on sites? I am waiting on 5, and 3 of those had Dec 15 deadlines. I am assuming that if we haven't heard by the deadline it is a bad sign, but I don't know what to think.

I'm still waiting to hear from 2, one had a 12/15 deadline. However, since many sites extended submission deadlines due to Sandy, they likely extended the notification deadlines as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a total dilemma at this point, and am in a similar boat. I didn't match last year, and this year I have been fortunate enough to receive 6 interviews so far (still waiting to hear from 1 more site). It is tough for me to look at it as "my dream training" versus a "get it done and move on." I have an interview for a site that I applied to because I believed I would qualify easily for it, but in reality it is not really the type of training I am interested in, and not the path I want to take my career in the future. I am concerned that if I were to match there, I would have a harder time then turning around and pursuing the field I actually am interested in, since I would have no direct experience. Agh, I'm so torn!! But the thought of turning down an interview is terrifying, especially after last year!!

I just want to say for those that received few or no interviews, I feel your pain. I was in that spot last year. I don't wish it on anyone. I am hoping for good things coming your way!

I'm in a very similar position... I also received 6 interviews at this point but last year I had 4 and did not match. Ultimately, I think that was primarily due to not ranking sites "strategically" (i.e. ranked based on where I would like to go rather than where I think I would be more likely to be placed). Now I'm in a similar position this year in that there are sites I would love to place at and there are sites which I think I could match more easily at but I would not necessarily be happy with.

The idea of not matching 2 years in a row makes me tempted to simply rank sites based on where I think I would most likely place but I don't want to sacrifice my happiness for the sake of matching! I'm thinking now to pick the top 1-2 sites I would like then rank "safety" sites afterwards... But even then I'm worried I would still not match! Ugh, this process is so terrible. :( Thank god for supportive family and friends but I would just like to actually be able to proceed forward with my life instead of being stuck on this yearlong hiatus of not knowing what is happening next!

I would love a place to talk about interview-related things. Even though I have interviews scheduled at 10 sites, I am worried about being that person who doesn't match even though they had plenty of interviews. I think that a separate thread would be a good idea and we should get it going asap, I think. January will be here before we know it.

I'm very new to this site. Anyone else with more familiarity with the rules and how to navigate want to get that thread rolling? I'm trying keep working on data entry...in case I actually do match.:laugh:

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations and difficulties--concentrate and give your all to those interviews, learn everything possible about the site! I wish you luck so that can get a move on with your career/life :)

Thanks, SPB!

Does anyone know what the deal is with WVU Charleston? Do they notify applicants when they are no longer under consideration or do we just assume we are not if we haven't heard?
Did you e-mail and ask for an interview? I have not heard back.. it's very confusing since the site is different.

I'm in a very similar position... I also received 6 interviews at this point but last year I had 4 and did not match. Ultimately, I think that was primarily due to not ranking sites "strategically" (i.e. ranked based on where I would like to go rather than where I think I would be more likely to be placed). Now I'm in a similar position this year in that there are sites I would love to place at and there are sites which I think I could match more easily at but I would not necessarily be happy with.

The idea of not matching 2 years in a row makes me tempted to simply rank sites based on where I think I would most likely place but I don't want to sacrifice my happiness for the sake of matching! I'm thinking now to pick the top 1-2 sites I would like then rank "safety" sites afterwards... But even then I'm worried I would still not match! Ugh, this process is so terrible. :( Thank god for supportive family and friends but I would just like to actually be able to proceed forward with my life instead of being stuck on this yearlong hiatus of not knowing what is happening next!

This is incorrect. Please rank sites on where you want to go in order of preference. Regardless of how you ranked sites last year, it would have made no difference in not matching.

Found a rejection email from St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in my spam folder. Oddly, they also asked for me to excuse them if I already received this email lol. Sounds like these sites are as frazzled as we are.

I thought ranking a more preferable site higher didn't impact your chances of matching at a less desirable site lower on your list?? At least that's what all the APPIC materials say....

Anyone hear from FMC-Lexington today? Kaiser - Walnut Creek? VA Canandaigua? Central Texas / Rockdale?

Not a word from Lexington. I know that invitations went out on Thursday, so I'm just chalking it up to a rejection for now

I hear you. This is only my first year applying, but I'm already trying to think of alternate plans. I will likely apply again next year, but after that, I don't know. I'll be finished my dissertation in May, so I'll be ABI. In that time I could have gotten three master's degrees instead of almost nothing to show for my hard work. I figure if I don't match the second time around, I can't keep postponing my life. I think I would probably drop out, go back to school for a master's degree in counseling or maybe just change gears completely.

Don't you think a non-accredited site would be better than throwing away all of that work? I'll be ABI too, and I just feel like I have to keep going, even if it's untraditionally. How many of us are going to have to work something unconventional out if we don't match (especially those of us doing this for the second or third time)? I would think that the world of psychology is going to have to get ready for a lot of people finding non-accredited or whatever internships they can get applying for licensure in a few years. They'll hopefully begin to address this crisis once we get to that level (to accommodate those of us in that position).

The stats they love to throw around about last year (that 24% not matching) was for those applying to CPA, APA, and non-accredited sites. From what I remember, 50% didn't match to CPA- or APA-accredited sites. That's an insane number! Insane.:boom:

Last edited:
I thought ranking a more preferable site higher didn't impact your chances of matching at a less desirable site lower on your list?? At least that's what all the APPIC materials say....

that's what i understood, that ranking affects where you go, but not if you go

I think you're right. The recommended strategy and the one that is most to our advantage is to rank our true preferences. If we rank our top site as #1, and we are not ranked highly by the site, the computer program will move to our #2 site without penalizing us for not ranking it first. The algorithm is designed to maximize the chances that we will be matched to places we actually want to go to, not places that we would be minimally satisfied with (which we would rank lower). See the links below:

(Fact 2 under Common Misunderstandings pertains to this issue)

http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/aboutalg.html

http://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Intro-to-the-Match

http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/aboutoverview.html

A better overview of how the matching process works by NRMP:

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/algorithm.html

Last edited:
Hi all. I was offered an interview at a site several days ago, but they haven't confirmed the date or time yet. Is anyone else having this experience? Do you think it would be okay to call on Monday?

Hi all. I was offered an interview at a site several days ago, but they haven't confirmed the date or time yet. Is anyone else having this experience? Do you think it would be okay to call on Monday?

I am in the same boat and i am going to do the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

So, uh, I'm going to have to admit I had the process completely misconstrued last year as far as rankings go... Much thanks to the links provided as they helped clarify a few things! The reason the issue was confusing for me is my school offers internship programs that only our students are allowed to apply to (which have far fewer applicants applying and appear to be less competitive based on how I was misunderstanding the process). It was those sites that I tend to view as "safety sites" but I misunderstood what happened after you got bumped out of your top few choices... I was thinking people who ranked those sites higher would be placed there first rather than the preference being based on the sites ranking of the students overall if they have too many students for a handful of slots.

So, lesson learned... Also, now my anxiety for interviews is even higher :laugh:

So....i have not heard anything for anyone in two days.

I am waiting to hear from:
Los Angeles Co
MH Association Westchester
Miss state hospital
IMCAS
CO dept of corrections
Linden Oaks
Central Texas

Anyone have information on these sites?

I think you're right. The recommended strategy and the one that is most to our advantage is to rank our true preferences. If we rank our top site as #1, and we are not ranked highly by the site, the computer program will move to our #2 site without penalizing us for not ranking it first. The algorithm is designed to maximize the chances that we will be matched to places we actually want to go to, not places that we would be minimally satisfied with (which we would rank lower). See the links below:

(Example 2 pertains to this issue)

http://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Intro-to-the-Match

http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/aboutoverview.html

A better overview of how the matching process works by NRMP:

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/algorithm.html

Great information! Thank you!

Has anyone gotten a rejection from University of Louisville, School of Medicine? I know they started rolling invitations a really long time ago, but I haven't heard anything about rejections.

Have any second timers out there had issues deferring loans? I'm working full time but can't quite afford to start repayment yet (and I'm feeling stubborn since I haven't freakin graduated yet)... I can't even enroll in research units cuz my dissertation is defended... Ugh!

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

Los Angeles Co
Miss state hospital
IMCAS
CO dept of corrections
Linden Oaks
Central Texas

LA County deadline isn't until the 20th

Have not heard from Central Texas or Co Dept of Corrections

Has anyone gotten a rejection from University of Louisville, School of Medicine? I know they started rolling invitations a really long time ago, but I haven't heard anything about rejections.

I haven't heard either way… :shrug:

Have any second timers out there had issues deferring loans? I'm working full time but can't quite afford to start repayment yet (and I'm feeling stubborn since I haven't freakin graduated yet)... I can't even enroll in research units cuz my dissertation is defended... Ugh!

I'm in the same boat as I didn't match last year, defended my dissertation over the summer, and am working full time. I expect my loans to go into repayment in February and know that times will be rough especially after the costs of traveling for interviews and missing a month of work. Once I get an understanding of what they are expecting on a monthly basis I plan on calling the loan companies to figure out what it is I can do in order to make payments more manageable on my salary. For me it made more financial sense to take a leave of absence than to pay for another year of classess - especially as I already completed all the necessary coursework/dissertation. I think that schools should figure out a way to consider us second timers (and some third timers) in the internship search process as at least half-time students while we continue to search for a placement. I wish you and everyone the best of luck through this process.

P.S. - Here's a dancing banana because it makes me smile :banana:

Anyone heard from ASU either way?

I received a personalized email invitation to interview at Arizona State University Counseling Services on 12/14/12 around 3pm CST if that's the site you're referencing. Best of luck to everyone :luck:

Los Angeles Co
Miss state hospital
IMCAS
CO dept of corrections
Linden Oaks
Central Texas

Mississippi State Hospital sent out an email a few days ago saying their notification date was being pushed back until the 19th. If you didn't get one of those emails, you may want to check with them to make sure they have your app!

Don't you think a non-accredited site would be better than throwing away all of that work? I'll be ABI too, and I just feel like I have to keep going, even if it's untraditionally. How many of us are going to have to work something unconventional out if we don't match (especially those of us doing this for the second or third time)? I would think that the world of psychology is going to have to get ready for a lot of people finding non-accredited or whatever internships they can get applying for licensure in a few years. They'll hopefully begin to address this crisis once we get to that level (to accommodate those of us in that position).

The stats they love to throw around about last year (that 24% not matching) was for those applying to CPA, APA, and non-accredited sites. From what I remember, 50% didn't match to CPA- or APA-accredited sites. That's an insane number! Insane.:boom:

You are probably right; I suppose I'm just being a little bit more negative than necessary at the moment. At this point I'm not entirely sure of the implications of applying to a non-accredited site. At this point, I'd be open to applying to VA that wasn't accredited, or might be soon accredited. I should probably take a deep breath and take one day at a time. . . We'll all get through this one way or another.

I'm in the same boat as I didn't match last year, defended my dissertation over the summer, and am working full time. I expect my loans to go into repayment in February and know that times will be rough especially after the costs of traveling for interviews and missing a month of work. Once I get an understanding of what they are expecting on a monthly basis I plan on calling the loan companies to figure out what it is I can do in order to make payments more manageable on my salary. For me it made more financial sense to take a leave of absence than to pay for another year of classess - especially as I already completed all the necessary coursework/dissertation. I think that schools should figure out a way to consider us second timers (and some third timers) in the internship search process as at least half-time students while we continue to search for a placement. I wish you and everyone the best of luck through this process.

P.S. - Here's a dancing banana because it makes me smile :banana:

Lol thanks.. yea, some of mine have already quite eagerly made contact with me. Can we say, "no Hablo ingles" lol hehe.. seriously though, I really feel the same about schools giving us that grace. :(

Just a word of encouragement to all those struggling with few or no interviews right now (and later for those who do not match, which could easily be me), many people who have graduated from my program have not attended APA internship programs and have gone on to wonderful, fulfilling careers as licensed psychologists. Some of these individuals chose not to pursue an APA internship due to familial obligations, whereas others were subject to the internship imbalance we are all too familiar with. Nonetheless, these individuals have gone on to secure post-doc fellowships and jobs at hospitals, community mental health centers, private practice, and research centers.

Good luck to everyone over the next month or so!

Last edited:
At this point I'm not entirely sure of the implications of applying to a non-accredited site. .

There is useful statement about this on the APPIC website. It is important to get personally informed about your options at this stage, as no one is going to fix the present problem quickly. An APPIC non-APA internship will not prevent licensure in any state except Mississippi. You do have to provide some additional documentation at the time of applying but you definitely can be licensed without an APA internship. You must have an APA internship if you want to work in the VA, for some federal agencies, and academic positions often prefer and sometimes require an APA internship, but this varies. There are APPIC non APA sites that cannot afford APA accreditation but do provide excellent training and a pathway to work in many kinds of setting. It all depends on you career goals and you need to do your research. Sometimes it IS strategic to get the degree done and remain where you are geographically, and this can sometimes be done by completing a non-APA internship. It is not ideal but for many it is a real option in the current circumstances and learning more about it may help with enduring this process.

Just got rejection from MH Westchester. Personal email explaining why I did not match. Noted long term career goals and program structure?

Is there anyone interviewing at FMC Carswell on Wednesday, 1/16 or Wednesday, 1/9 who would be willing to switch with me for Friday, 1/11? I'm trying to avoid missing the first day of a class I'm teaching and I ended up with my second choice of interview days. I really wanted to put the 1/9 as my first or second choice but I didn't want to jeopardize an interview at another site I am still coordinating with. Amazing how this could happen with only 4 interviews lol! You can private message me if you prefer. Thank you!

Just got rejection from MH Westchester. Personal email explaining why I did not match. Noted long term career goals and program structure?

Wow, someone actually told you WHY so you didn't have to wonder why you weren't picked? Geez, I'm almost jealous of that rejection. Sorry for the rejection, in any case. :(

Just in case anyone out there is waiting for Kaiser LA (my last site) I wanted to let you guys know that I re-checked what it says on the APPIC website and they listed a notification deadline of December 20th. I had forgotten about that. :luck:

Wow, someone actually told you WHY so you didn't have to wonder why you weren't picked? Geez, I'm almost jealous of that rejection. Sorry for the rejection, in any case. :(

Yeah, pretty surprising!