2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone received confirmation for interview times yet?

Institute for Child and Family Health: Yes! On 12/11 I received a confirmation for an interview for 1/10. This is for the school-based track.
It did take them a while to send me the confirmation.

Also, I wrote Citrus inquiering about my status (a few hours ago) but received no response yet. I'll let everyone know if/when I do.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current CAU student and decided to apply to the clinic located at my graduate program called Goodman Psychological Service Center. Goodman Center is only looking for students who attended CAU. They started their interview process fairly early. November 26 to November 30th. I was interviewed on November 30.

I really do not know how many people applied there and was invited for an interview. I know they are looking for 5 students.

Anyone from CAU applied there and was invited for an interview? What did you think about the interview? or do you know of anyone who applied there last year and was matched on Phase 1.

Curious about my chances of being matched there as I am really familiar with the structure of the clinic and also I have a good connection with some of the faculty at CAU. Also the fact that they did the interview so early makes me somewhat nervous because by now they probably already know who they are selecting.

I'm in the same boat as you! Went to the interview there. I think it went well- but then again, how can we tell?... I'm not sure. I was also wondering how many students applied this year! I hope others on this site will come forward and let us know!

I am still waiting on four sites....has anyone heard from Assessment and Treatment Alternatives, DC Superior Court, Rapp. Community Services Board, or Haymount Institute (I know this site sent out invites, but any rejections)?

Thanks everyone

I emailed the DC Superior Court / Child Guidance Clinic this morning and they indicated that they would be sending out invitations by this weekend. Hope you get one!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to say, but I know that Lincoln will be sending out only rejections from this point on. You should be hearing today or tomorrow from what I've been told. I just see everyone asking about this site and even though i don't like to be the bringer of bad news I do have this information and thought it may possibly help someone with travel plans in some way :-(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Well, I guess that's it then. Thanks for spreading the word. 9 interviews, 1 wait-list, 2 open houses, 16 rejections (including Lincoln). This is definitely better than last year.

Still haven't heard from St. Luke's Roosevelt's child track re: interviews.

Sent an email this morning and haven't gotten a response.

Anyone else having this experience?

In other news: so over this APPIC crap. Sigh.

Generic invite...dates are January 14, 15, 16, 22,23, 28

PS President is inaugurated on the 21st so you may not have the best of luck getting hotels in that area around then

Same here. I was about to send an email to them myself. I've been starting to wonder whether I accidentally cleared it out of my spam folder or something (because I know that rejections went into some people's spam)...but the fact that I'm not the only one still waiting makes me wonder if they are just being really slow with this. Are there others in this boat?

Director said invites were sent out on the 3rd and didn't seem to see the logic in sending out rejection e-mails or letters. Makes sense: who has the time to type a one-paragraph e-mail and enter 80 addresses. That would have been ridiculous. :cool:

Rejection today from Mt. Sinai Services, Elmhurst, NY. Sent via email.

Holding steady at 8 interviews. I think I only need to hear from 3 places, including Ancora & Lincoln (probable rejection). I'm happy with my eight.... can't manage to fit any other travel in!!

-Phone call to interview at Trenton Psychiatric Hospital
-Generic email rejection from UMDNJ (Piscataway) - Serious Mental Illness Track
-Generic email rejection from New Jersey VA

Still waiting to hear from Ancora Psychiatric Hospital (where are theyyy??) and Manhattan Psychiatric Center, which has a 12/30 notification date.

-Phone call to interview at Trenton Psychiatric Hospital
-Generic email rejection from UMDNJ (Piscataway) - Serious Mental Illness Track
-Generic email rejection from New Jersey VA

Still waiting to hear from Ancora Psychiatric Hospital (where are theyyy??) and Manhattan Psychiatric Center, which has a 12/30 notification date.

I am waiting on Manhattan Psychiatric Center too. I really want to know before 12/30 if I am interviewing there, because it is so hard to make travel plans at the last minute. I hope they notify before then....

I am a current CAU student and decided to apply to the clinic located at my graduate program called Goodman Psychological Service Center. Goodman Center is only looking for students who attended CAU.

I know this isn't your point, but this annoys me. Why are sites allowed to do this? If that schools students are allowed to apply anywhere, that site should be able to accept applications from anywhere. It seems like a way to ensure better match numbers for the school/program and I think it just exacerbates the match imbalance for everyone else.

Sorry for the rant, I just think that it's crap when sites do that. It bothers me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to say, but I know that Lincoln will be sending out only rejections from this point on. You should be hearing today or tomorrow from what I've been told. I just see everyone asking about this site and even though i don't like to be the bringer of bad news I do have this information and thought it may possibly help someone with travel plans in some way :-(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

This is really helpful! Thanks for posting. At this point, I just want to know what's going on!

My rejection was in my spam on Saturday....so try that if you haven't already.

Has anyone heard from Colorado DOC (Canon City) or Central Texas Internship (Rockdale)? They are the only two I have not heard from who had notification deadline listed for the 15th

Hey, has anyone else not heard from Henry Ford Health Track?

I know admissions were rolling so I was wondering if they just haven't gotten to notifying everyone yet or if mine was overlooked. Thanks.

Hey, has anyone else not heard from Henry Ford Health Track?

I know admissions were rolling so I was wondering if they just haven't gotten to notifying everyone yet or if mine was overlooked. Thanks.

I still haven't heard from Henry Ford Peds Neuro.

Generic invite...dates are January 14, 15, 16, 22,23, 28

PS President is inaugurated on the 21st so you may not have the best of luck getting hotels in that area around then

I did a practicum at the DC courts and how be happy to PM with anyone that is interested in learning more about the site!

For those still wondering about Didi Hirsch, I emailed the TD re: not hearing anything either way on Friday. TD responded saying all invites were extended, therefore those of us who didn't hear are out of the running. There goes my #1.

Well, I guess that's it then. Thanks for spreading the word. 9 interviews, 1 wait-list, 2 open houses, 16 rejections (including Lincoln). This is definitely better than last year.

This is really helpful! Thanks for posting. At this point, I just want to know what's going on!

Sorry, guys...Please let me know if this is indeed the case. I know the TD at Lincoln very well (he wrote my letter of rec for other sites) and I spoke with him last week and asked him out of curiosity how the selection process is going. Of course, there's always a chance that they changed their minds and invited a few more...so you never know, even in this scenario.

Best of luck with your other interviews!!!

I also have had no news from Rapp. Community Service Board so you are not alone in the waiting! Hopefully today?!

So I just noticed that the APPIC page for Rapp. Community Area Service Board was modified today (12/17) and the training director has changed...maybe this is why the news is taking longer to get out there?

Anybody email them yet?

First interview tomorrow :). I am super excited and very grateful for all that have helped me along this journey.

Anyone heard from the village in Hartford CT? I know rejections went out on 12/12 but I am not sure if interviews have gone out.

So I just noticed that the APPIC page for Rapp. Community Area Service Board was modified today (12/17) and the training director has changed...maybe this is why the news is taking longer to get out there?

Anybody email them yet?

I also have yet to hear from them but I applied to them last year also and didn't hear from them either way :( I noticed last year they had like 85 applicants and only interviewed 11 so maybe they only contact when offering interviews? :confused:

For those of you wondering...

TD will be sending out status of applications (interviews/no interviews) on Wednesday. They experienced some technical difficulties when attempting to download the applications.

Hope this is helpful to some of you...

For those of you wondering...

TD will be sending out status of applications (interviews/no interviews) on Wednesday. They experienced some technical difficulties when attempting to download the applications.

Hope this is helpful to some of you...
Thanks much for the information nyprincess! :)

I emailed Ancora today to find out my status...bold, I know! No response as of yet...

I also emailed MN DOC because I needed a date and they were more than happy to offer a date that fit in my travel schedule. Very polite and accommodating.

Waiting on: Ancora, LA DMH, TX - Mexias DADS, NC Dept of Public Safety, and Lakeview Rehab Center. All I need is TX and Ancora to respond and I can book my flight!

Should I contact APPIC? A site I applied to sent out interview notifications awhile ago and never sent out rejections. I e-mailed them today and got this response:

All of our invitations to interview were sent out December 3rd.
Best of luck to you.

I was under the impression they HAVE to notify us. You know, it's the ADULT thing to do.

Just got the rejection letter from South Arkansas Regional Health Center. Knew it was coming, but still sucks to have the last one be a rejection.:thumbdown:

Should I contact APPIC? A site I applied to sent out interview notifications awhile ago and never sent out rejections. I e-mailed them today and got this response:

All of our invitations to interview were sent out December 3rd.
Best of luck to you.

I was under the impression they HAVE to notify us. You know, it's the ADULT thing to do.

That is unprofessional of the location. They should send a rejection letter. I received 12 invitations and then 5 rejections from the other locations. It is their responsibility to do so and it gives you a good feel for the place you won't be working for. Consider yourself lucky.

That is unprofessional of the location. They should send a rejection letter. I received 12 invitations and then 5 rejections from the other locations. It is their responsibility to do so and it gives you a good feel for the place you won't be working for. Consider yourself lucky.

Thank you, yes I do consider myself lucky I didn't get an interview their. And I did send an e-mail to APPIC. It is very unprofessional of them.

Thank you, yes I do consider myself lucky I didn't get an interview their. And I did send an e-mail to APPIC. It is very unprofessional of them.

I am unsure why locations feel like it is okay to not respond to each applicant either way. I understand from an employers standpoint it can be overwhelming to receive a mass amount of applications for a few positions. They have to remember we took the time and spent the money to apply to their location. It does not cost anything to say thank you so much for your effort and best of luck on your journey finding an internship.

Has anyone heard when the following yet-to-be accredited VAs will be notifying students?

Richard L Roudebush (Indianapolis)
Souix Falls (South Dakota)
Oscar G Johnson (Iron Mt)

Also, I still haven't heard from VA Puget Sound- American Lake. It looks like others heard from them ages ago- anyone else in this boat?

Thanks!

In need of advice from those who have gone through this process year after year.. I applied to 17 sites and received 1 interview. Waiting on North Bronx, Elmhurst, Lincoln and Manhattan Psyc. I'm sure they are a no. My hours increased by over 500 in the past year?! Not sure what I can do for next year?? Any advice will be helpful...

In need of advice from those who have gone through this process year after year.. I applied to 17 sites and received 1 interview. Waiting on North Bronx, Elmhurst, Lincoln and Manhattan Psyc. I'm sure they are a no. My hours increased by over 500 in the past year?! Not sure what I can do for next year?? Any advice will be helpful...

I'm a second timer.. 2 interviews, out of 17 sites. I guess I missed a memo somewhere too.. smh.

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

KAC-
I didnt match last year, I think I applied to 15 places, and got 1 interview.
So far, I have 4 interviews and 5 places to rank and 2 places left to hear from.
A few things that in rsince last year, I think may be relevant:
-dissertation progress
-program status
-my supervision hours
-target locations- places that think they are too cool for school (*ehem, two NC locations w/o names*) wont ever be interested in me. Target appropriately- take some long shots if you want, but balance them out with reasonable places.
-Fit- to me, this is different than targeting places- find programs that will fit you and your training experiences and goals perfectly.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard when the following yet-to-be accredited VAs will be notifying students?

Richard L Roudebush (Indianapolis)
Souix Falls (South Dakota)
Oscar G Johnson (Iron Mt)

Also, I still haven't heard from VA Puget Sound- American Lake. It looks like others heard from them ages ago- anyone else in this boat?

Thanks!
Iron Mountain VA (Michigan) notification date is 1/10
Sioux Falls VA notification date is 12/28

So I wouldn't be expecting either of those for a while. I haven't heard from Indianapolis either, though they did send out invitations earlier according to this forum so I'm expecting a no-go from there.

Not a word from Lexington. I know that invitations went out on Thursday, so I'm just chalking it up to a rejection for now

Rejected today!! :D

So that caps me out at eleven invites, ten in person interviews, one phone interview.
Still waiting on Ancora, RWJS (Adult SMI track) and Mississppi State Hospital. MSH let us know via email that their date would be extended due to Hurricane Sandy.

First and only BOP interview tomorrow, wish me luck, correctional/forensic/adult smi specialization friends, and thanks for all of your support :D

Thanks!
I received a generic rejection from Albany Psych Internship Consortium this afternoon.
Also heard from Baylor Med College- Ben Taub track today. They are requesting we rank our top 3 dates from: January 4, 7, 11, 14, & 25

I got an invite from Roudebush VAMC 12/13 for the health psych track. I know of at least two others who were invited that same day for a different track.

Rejected today!! :D

So that caps me out at eleven invites, ten in person interviews, one phone interview.
Still waiting on Ancora, RWJS (Adult SMI track) and Mississppi State Hospital. MSH let us know via email that their date would be extended due to Hurricane Sandy.

First and only BOP interview tomorrow, wish me luck, correctional/forensic/adult smi specialization friends, and thanks for all of your support :D

Good luck! Where are you interviewing?

Anyone heard rejections or interviews from the Child Guidance Center in CT?

Finally received rejection from federal medical center in KY...had to email them to ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Finally received rejection from federal medical center in KY...had to email them to ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Sorry! They do not appear to be organized as I received an email stating:

"My apologies for the confusion in notification. I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to offer you an interview for the 2013-2014 internship year. We received a very large number of applications and were not able to offer interviews to many excellent applicants like you. Thank you for applying to our program, and I wish you the best of luck."

Meanwhile this was the first communication I had received - seems like they accidentally invited their no invite list... these sites appear to be VERY unorganized this year! :smuggrin:

Hi everyone,

I know someone got a "no thank you" email from children's institute, inc in LA, but have anyone got an invitation yet?:confused: