About the ads

2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by nyprincess, Jun 22, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. PsychMama23

PsychMama23

MD/PhD Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Dear Applicant invitation email from CII Los Angeles just now.
  2. runnerdoctor

runnerdoctor

Psychology Student

Well said and I completely agree!!!
  3. maggiepie7

maggiepie7

Psychology Student
    Same. PsychMama, are you doing the Early Childhood, Bilingual, or General Track?

Hooray!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. happyhappyhappa

happyhappyhappa

Psychology Student
    Personalized emailed rejection from USCF CTRP
    Four more to hear from, but I know at least 3 are rejections.
  5. maggiepie7

maggiepie7

Psychology Student
    happyhappyhappa, sorry to hear :( BUT congrats on your interview at UCSF IPP!!! I was sad to receive a rejection from them yesterday. So confusing when you get one rejection and one invitation from similar sites.

I know 3 women who are interns there currently, and they seem to be enjoying the site. Good luck on your interview!
  6. PsychMama23

PsychMama23

MD/PhD Student
    I was just deciding! I think I am going to go for the General Track, because it looks like we still get early childhood experience in that track, but perhaps have a more balanced program with trauma tx and family therapy....

How about you?
  7. happyhappyhappa

happyhappyhappa

Psychology Student
    You are so thoughtful, Maggiepie7! Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sorry that you were rejected from the site. From your posts on this forum, you seem like such a genuinely passionate clinician and I know any site that gets lucky enough to have you as their intern will be lucky!
  8. yarndoll

yarndoll

Psychology Student
    Rejection from MSH.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
  9. sturdynerd

sturdynerd

Psychology Student
    Just want to say congratulations to all of you who got interviews, and good luck on your interviews! May you all match to your most preferred sites!

For those of you who didn't get interviews this round, hang in there and good luck for phase II :)
  10. neurogirl37

neurogirl37

Psychology Student
    Thank you much! And back at ya. :D
  11. HollyBerry

HollyBerry

Psychology Student
    Congrats on the interview!! I would definitely contact them to clarify, because those were the two days they gave us to "hold," saying that we would be assigned one of them later. I was also given an interview invitation, but mine only had one date on the email and the attachment. In fact, it said "Monday January 7th" pretty much everywhere it could, including the file name of the attachment. So, I would definitely call to clarify. I hope that you can work it out- the people there seem absolutely lovely!! And if you go on the 7th, maybe we'll get to meet each other. :)

Best, HB
  12. coloradocutter

coloradocutter Junior Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I wanted to give my two cents on the unaccredited VA issue. I received some great feedback from a VA TD on my application. (There materials made the faculty look like super nice people - I emailed the TD, and she offered incredible advice. I applied to a lot of sites and did well at forensic sites, so I am not upset, but I received no interviews at straight VAs (did fine with consortiums) and asked her why. This led to a discussion on options, etc. BTW, I'd recommend this to anyone who is puzzled at VA responses.)

She said they look at grades, program reputation, training, prior work experience. Then, all things being equal they give a preference to someone who completes a VA practicum. (In my program, that's not an option for everyone). Based on that she suggested, that I make a practica happen and that's a long, but interesting story for another day. However, if you are ready to move on and you are at the end of your rope, she advised students to get a VA internship even if unaccredited. According to this TD, they get significantly fewer applications, you are eligible for a VA internship, and you get a preference because you have worked at the VA. There are likely some unaccredited ones that have a better reputation, more rotations, inpatient rotations, etc. that may be more advisable. Also, some VAs may not like this, but a TD at a very good VA told me that they do. I am not sure if there are still an VAs with deadlines, but I'd say go for it if there are.

It seems like much better experience than a year of practica or TAing or something. I guess we should all consider these as backups really. I think we all need to be applying to 20-25 sites these days anyway. My TD was pushing 15 for everyone like it was some magic number. :bang:
  13. maggiepie7

maggiepie7

Psychology Student
    I ultimately went for the General Track, because of the breadth of experiences. And, as much as I ultimately want to end up in infant mental health (I'm doing doula training right now!) I really love working with couples and older families, too.

I'll see you there, then! Maybe we can be lunch buddies :)
  14. maggiepie7

maggiepie7

Psychology Student
    You will do great! And I hope you get your top choice site. It sounds (from the interviews you've been offered and what you've posted on here) that you're a highly qualified clinician in many realms. And thanks for the compliments :)
  15. Resaroman

Resaroman

Psychology Student
    I had given up after 22 rejections, but landed 2 interviews in the final days..don't give up for those of you still waiting!!
  16. yarndoll

yarndoll

Psychology Student
    You should call/email and politely explain. I had the same issue last week and a site gave me another date. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
  17. KeepingFaith13

KeepingFaith13

Psychology Student
    Has anyone gotten an interview with Rappahannock? I saw they sent out rejections..
  18. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychology Fellow Moderator

Post Doc
    Psychologist SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think the stipulation for unaccredited VAs is that the internship must be in the process of applying for accreditation (i.e., that it's a new program and is thought to have a realistic shot of landing accreditation once eligible), or something thereabouts.

Then again, if the internship doesn't have a realistic shot at obtaining APA accred., I don't know that the VA system would allow it to continue to exist.
  19. pearible

pearible

Psychology Student
    I received a phone call to set up an interview at CSU on Tuesday of this week. I'm scheduled for Jan. 3rd
  20. Love4Psyc

Love4Psyc

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had a friend get an interview a few days ago. Best of luck
  21. nicu82

nicu82

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you have insurance most PCP will give it and it will be free. Since it is preventative it is likely covered 100% by your insurance. It's worth checking!
  22. Psychkid27

Psychkid27

Psychology Student
    that is a so great! I was praying and hoping that every time I read the forums, I would see a post with good news from you! good lucky at your interviews!
  23. Psychkid27

Psychkid27

Psychology Student
    Received an interview with CII yesterday via generic email.
    Also received a personalized email from Miami-Dade County with specific time and date for an interview. Hopefully they give me alternate times!
  24. KeepingFaith13

KeepingFaith13

Psychology Student
    Ok, thanks..
  25. KAC0106

KAC0106

Psychology Student
    Hello: I never really rec'd a response about implications going for a non APA internship site. I want to know what are the implications, if eventually I want to work in a Psychiatric State Hospital or teach.

Most responses were speaking on the VA. I understand that part of it Please weigh in!!
  26. sturdynerd

sturdynerd

Psychology Student
    No Stooge, that was just me asking about it. Bit of OCD apparently. I know you were waiting on the MAD track, did you ever hear one way or another? Fingers crossed for you. I might end up emailing the TD later tonight if I still haven't heard anything since Christmas is upon us and we likely won't be hearing anything after this week :(
  27. erg923

erg923

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    http://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Applicants/Eligibility-and-Participation#q3
  28. KAC0106

KAC0106

Psychology Student
    Thank you very helpful. Not sure if my question was addressed. I'll just play it safe and stick with APA accredited site. Thanks AgAIN
  29. Zoe2014

Zoe2014 PhD2014Psyc

Psychology Student
    Thanks. I am guessing Cleveland State University should now be crossed off of my list.
  30. paramour

paramour

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I hear variations of this every year. I begin to think it's something people circulate to either reduce the number of applications for them to review or to reduce their personal competition.

VA practica are not an option for ANYONE in my program. Yet most of the folks here still match at VA sites for internship each and every year without fail. :thumbup:
  31. stooge

stooge

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey! Who are you calling a stooge? Ha, I love this name. Anyways, I still haven't heard anything one way or the other. I'm probably just going to wait it out. They either don't know right now or it's a rejection. Let me know what the TD says if you decide to contact him and you hear back. Good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  32. gigi529

gigi529

Psychology Student
    Does anyone have an opinion about apa on probation sites? Can we still say we went to an Apa internship site or do we have to mention the stipulation? Furthermore, is it possible to not become reaccredited after their site visit in the spring 2013? Also, will it impact state psychiatric employment and such in the future? Thanks!!
  33. MsPhD14

MsPhD14

Psychology Student
    I am. Has anyone heard anything yet either way? I'd like to finalize my travel plans!
  34. CBTFTW

CBTFTW

Psychology Student
    So glad to hear that! No one should have to go through this process as many times as you have, especially without getting interviews. Good luck, you're gonna nail them!
  35. tiredpsychgrad

tiredpsychgrad

Psychology Student
    Same with my program. We simply don't have a practicum at a VA. However, most people's internships are at VAs. They do all say that they're often the only ones at their internship without previous VA experience (and I've noticed at the couple of interviews I've been on so far that most people have VA experience) BUT I'm not sure if that is due to VA preference or simply because VA practica are common at PhD/PsyD programs, so many people applying for internship would have VA experience. Can anyone speak to that? Are VA practica fairly common for people wanting to do adult track clinical work?

It's very frustrating and scary, because I KNOW I want to work at a VA for a career, but I feel like I'm coming from a disadvantage without having experience going in.
  36. 021884

Psychology Student
    I'm very happy for you! Now you need to do your homework about those sites, practice interviewing with professors and coworkers... Sell yourself as the best intern they can ever get, tell them everything you have to offer and what you would like to learn from them....remember, to say why they are a good fit and how your experience is a good fit...Best of luck! :thumbup:
  37. aurisha7

aurisha7

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on flying with a suit (and obviously attempting to keep my suit mostly wrinkle free). I've never had to fly with dress clothes before!! Thanks in advance
  38. 021884

Psychology Student
    It really depends on your state and where you want to work. For instance, in CA you'll be just fine if you go to a non-accredited site (I.e. APPIC or CAPIC)... As far as you get 3,000 hours of supervised training (pre and post dc) you'll get your license. Some competitive positions like the VA and some Kaisers required APA accreditations...I DK about state hospitals, but since it's the state, they should be okay with a non-APA.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
  39. psychofile

psychofile

Psychology Student
    Still waiting in manhattan psych center. Today is their deadline. Has anyone heard either way?
  40. happypanic

happypanic

Psychology Student
    Has anyone heard anything from the MAD track from Temple Consortium? I know someone mentioned CORE and possibly the child anxiety one. Just getting a little restless before Christmas!
  41. erg923

erg923

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I did a VA internship and had VA experience prior in graduate school. However, that was not really a factor in my internship's evaluation of applicants. Assessment experience was, as well as working with a variety of diagnoses and adult age groups. Prior experience with a military pop (not necessarily VA) didn't hurt though. But, I really think that the "prior VA experience" thing is way oversold on here.

I would not be too quick to jump on the VA career bandwagon yet, when you haven't actually worked in one. I too thought that would be the place for me but, no...not sure I could be happy dealing with all their contradictions in the long term. Well, that and the fact that I simply had little to no desire to see patients 5 days per week. :laugh:
  42. nicu82

nicu82

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Cheap suit bag (MW usually has some) or wear the suit on the plane. It may end up a lot less wrinkled than trying to pack it or jam it in a bag.
  43. Anachronism

Anachronism

Psychology Student
    Has anyone received confirmation on interview dates for Lincoln Hills in Wisconsin? I am assuming the weather may be a cause for a delay
  44. LPPSYD

LPPSYD Predoctoral Intern

Psychology Student
    Their deadline is the 30th. More waiting unfortunately!
  45. katiecl

katiecl

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Phone call invite for my "second round" Columbia University Medical Center (Adult track) interview - first one was back in mid-November. Didn't get their message until late today so I'm not sure when they're scheduling for.
  46. moodmemorygal

moodmemorygal

Psychology Student
    Capped out at 11 interviews, y'all. Too bad I had to schedule one by phone due to scheduling conflicts. Rejected from Mississippi State Hospital today.

Good luck to you all, may you all match at your preffered sites, and happy holidays! Thank you for all of your kind support.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  47. moodmemorygal

moodmemorygal

Psychology Student
    Also, does anyone know how early we should start sending "thank-you" letters?
  48. Zoe2014

Zoe2014 PhD2014Psyc

Psychology Student
    Last school update, Cleveland State University did a personal phone call invitation. I have 13 interviews and 5 rejections as my grand total. I have completed 2 interviews and 11 more to go :). Lets hope I get placed with these odds!
  49. erg923

erg923

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I advise not doing that unless you like creating work for USPS...
  50. KAC0106

KAC0106

Psychology Student
    I'm waiting as well. I thought their deadline was 12/30?