2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if all sites are adhering to this. In the brochure for CAMH, it just states that they will let applicants know about interviews in the weeks following the application deadline (and nothing about the December 5th notification date).
I

Yeah I doubt that all sites are going to adhere to the deadline, particularly since this is the first year for this uniform notification deadline. And CAMH only recently became an APPIC member so I have a feeling they will do their own thing. I guess we will all find out soon enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
did anyone else here apply to Spring Grove Hospital? Last year they notified on 11/18 since they have interviews in early December. I wonder if they will again this year! It's nice to have one site I think I may hear from before next month.

Finally heard from my first site! What a relief it was a positive response.

-Site name: Pittsburgh VA
-Date notified: 11/17/14
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Track (if applicable): General
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
-Interview dates offered: 12/8, 1/5, 1/12, 1/21. Just a heads up I waited 40 minutes to reply to their email and my top date preference was already booked (12/8). I think it has been mentioned before, but you definitely want to reply ASAP to any offers or your top dates may be taken.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain how rolling invites work? Am i correct in assuming sites will invite people as they review applications prior to reviewing them all?

Can anyone explain how rolling invites work? Am i correct in assuming sites will invite people as they review applications prior to reviewing them all?

Some sites definitely work like that. Other sites tend to invite their "first tier" applicants, then invite their second tier if they don't get enough interviews/good applicants from the first, etc. Even more sites roll based on track, because there are often different people reviewing different tracks. I'm at a site right now that invites everyone all at once, then rejects the rest a week or so later because there's only one person (the TD) in charge of reviewing all the applications for each track.

Reactions: 1 users
So in the case of a site that has sent a mass invitation via email for a track to which you applied, would it be safe to assume that it is a rejection if you didn't receive an invite? Would there ever be waves of mass invites? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
-Interview dates offered: 12/8, 1/5, 1/12, 1/21. Just a heads up I waited 40 minutes to reply to their email and my top date preference was already booked (12/8). I think it has been mentioned before, but you definitely want to reply ASAP to any offers or your top dates may be taken.

Good luck everyone!

I also got an invite - I replied after 20 minutes and 12/8 was already taken.

So in the case of a site that has sent a mass invitation via email for a track to which you applied, would it be safe to assume that it is a rejection? Would there ever be waves of mass invites. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

No, not at all safe! Rolling invites can be in a mass email too. Seems like a general rule is that until you receive a rejection, you're still in the running. Now, if you happen to know that all interview dates have passed or are really close to the mass invites that were sent out, you could probably have more certainty.

I definitely wish we had more certainty about the process- I love that Canadian sites are requiring all notifications to be sent on one day.. If only US sites could get on it!

Reactions: 3 users
So in the case of a site that has sent a mass invitation via email for a track to which you applied, would it be safe to assume that it is a rejection if you didn't receive an invite? Would there ever be waves of mass invites? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, I did not match last year and while that is awful for many reasons, one up side is that I feel like I can be helpful to those going through the application process this year. In my experience last year, when I did not receive a mass e-mail invite, it was inevitably followed by a rejection. However, there are several sites that come to mind that friends considered themselves out for only to receive an invite at a later time. That is, it does indeed seem that some sites will send out their invites in waves of mass invites. My best advice-- if it is really hanging on your mind-- is to search for last year's thread. You will be able to see whether multiple notification dates were reported for a given site.

I also got an invite - I replied after 20 minutes and 12/8 was already taken.
Wow that's crazy! I just created a calendar of all potential interview dates. That thing is going to come in handy since it looks like we need to respond within minutes to invite offers!

Wow that's crazy! I just created a calendar of all potential interview dates. That thing is going to come in handy since it looks like we need to respond within minutes to invite offers!
I also put my potential interviews on a calendar. It's a little overwhelming to look at, but I'm expecting it to be very handy once invites start rolling in.

Received mass rejection from University of Chicago (Adult/Heath) today (11/17)

Members don't see this ad :)

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email

Good luck everyone!

Exactly the same thing for me (responded in 20 min and couldn't get 12/8) except I'm neuropsych track.

NYU-Bellevue (Child Track)

Notified for Invitation 11/17 by mass email

Last edited:
first rejecton received from U of Chicago Child Track.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on wearing an engagement/wedding ring to interviews?

What if that ring has a decent-sized (but not extravagant) diamond or precious stone in it?

Does your advice depend on the type of site the ring-wearer is interviewing at (e.g., community mental health center vs. academic medical center)? Adult vs. child internship? Therapy vs. assessment-oriented internship? ETC.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on wearing an engagement/wedding ring to interviews?

What if that ring has a decent-sized (but not extravagant) diamond or precious stone in it?

Does your advice depend on the type of site the ring-wearer is interviewing at (e.g., community mental health center vs. academic medical center)?

I think it is fine, but I know some people simply turn it upside down so the band is showing...that's an option if you're nervous, but I really think it's fine it wear it anywhere.

I think it is fine, but I know some people simply turn it upside down so the band is showing...that's an option if you're nervous, but I really think it's fine it wear it anywhere.
Be who you are. A detail like this will not be a deciding factor. Or if it would be, would you want to work there?

Reactions: 5 users
Updated

ps I am liking all the posts (except rejections :( ) as a way to keep track of what I've read to make sure I don't miss anything.

Be who you are. A detail like this will not be a deciding factor. Or if it would be, would you want to work there?

I agree completely! I've had the same concern as a female with a somewhat "flashy" engagement/wedding set. I know that other interviewees with rings have attracted borderline questions about status of husbands, whether they'll be able to move, "innocent" children questions... But at the end of the day, the sites I rank highly will be those that being married and wanting kids in the future is not a "disqualifier" but instead shows balance and a healthy lifestyle (not that being single demonstrates the opposite by any means). I certainly wouldn't want to be at a site where I'm judged negatively based on these factors. Food for thought. :)

did anyone else here apply to Spring Grove Hospital? Last year they notified on 11/18 since they have interviews in early December. I wonder if they will again this year! It's nice to have one site I think I may hear from before next month.
Yes, I did! I was hoping they'd get in touch sooner than later for that same reason. And now that I've read this I'm going to be extra attentive to my email today :) Good luck!

Received (mass) invite to OSU (health track), interview dates are 1/9 and 1/12

Yes, I did! I was hoping they'd get in touch sooner than later for that same reason. And now that I've read this I'm going to be extra attentive to my email today :) Good luck!
Same. Haven't heard anything either. no news is good news though. Last year, 11/18 was a Monday...; they may just send tehm out whenever they are ready BUT I am on the edge as well!!!! G'luck all

Just received an invite (personal email) from the University of Florida (health track). Interview dates are 1/9, 1/16, 1/23

I agree completely! I've had the same concern as a female with a somewhat "flashy" engagement/wedding set. I know that other interviewees with rings have attracted borderline questions about status of husbands, whether they'll be able to move, "innocent" children questions... But at the end of the day, the sites I rank highly will be those that being married and wanting kids in the future is not a "disqualifier" but instead shows balance and a healthy lifestyle (not that being single demonstrates the opposite by any means). I certainly wouldn't want to be at a site where I'm judged negatively based on these factors. Food for thought. :)

I plan on wearing my engagement ring. It is a classic ring and not too bling. I would find it incredibly rude if someone asked about one's husband's status because of a ring. First, there are so many factors that could be involved (family rings, etc., plus, anyone who knows anything about jewelry knows that size does not matter when it comes to precious gems ;) Also, APA has guidelines that are supposed to be followed regarding things they can and cannot ask and if they do not follow said guidelines and ask about kids, husband's employment status, etc., I would view that as a warning sign.

Just received an invite (personal email) from the University of Florida (health track). Interview dates are 1/9, 1/16, 1/23

Congratulations!!! Has anyone heard from UF's neuro track? Wondering if I still have a chance :).

So, I'm an international student! I already got one rejection, and probably another one coming because i applied to UF. Does anybody know if international students are less likely to get interviews/match? I'm freaking out a bit and wonder if I should apply to more places!

I saw that Rutgers Behavioral Health Care (Piscataway) sent out an email for interviews on 11/10. Does anyone know what track that was?

So, I'm an international student! I already got one rejection, and probably another one coming because i applied to UF. Does anybody know if international students are less likely to get interviews/match? I'm freaking out a bit and wonder if I should apply to more places!
Hi, I'm also an international student, granted I have a green card, but that does not change the fact that I couldn't apply to VAs, which limits the options greatly. My advice to you is that you apply to more sites (around 17 or so), to increase your chances of matching.

I am unsure of the likelihood of international students getting interviews/matching but here are the match statistics, which includes international match rates: http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/downloads/APPIC_Match_Rates_2011-14_by_State.pdf.

I keep getting notifications that my application is complete, which is giving me a heart attack because I think they are invites or rejections!

I keep getting notifications that my application is complete, which is giving me a heart attack because I think they are invites or rejections!

Uh-oh. So you are getting someone from each site individually saying that your application is complete? All I received was an email saying that all my apps had been submitted....

Spring grove hospital center (today) via personalized email. Interview dates dec 8th, 10th, 15th, 17th

Yay for my first response being a positive one!!

Reactions: 4 users
Uh-oh. So you are getting someone from each site individually saying that your application is complete? All I received was an email saying that all my apps had been submitted....

Not from every site, but from a few sites. I imagine this varies widely by program. Plus so far I have only received these types of messages from Canadian programs, not any of the American sites I applied to.

Spring grove hospital center (today) via personalized email. Interview dates dec 8th, 10th, 15th, 17th

Congrats! Applied as well but nothing in my mail box :-( well...

Hello-Sorry if this has been asked. For Hazelden Betty Ford-Was the invite for the Adult or Adolescent track?

How many programs call? It seems like most email.

Well, I assume that's a rejection for me, even though I haven't heard. Maybe, rejections emails go out later...

Well, I assume that's a rejection for me, even though I haven't heard. Maybe, rejections emails go out later...
Ugh, I'm sorry if that's the case. This stuff seems so random. It WAS a personalized email though, and I've heard from prior years that they get all invites out the same week then quickly send rejections so you'll know for sure soon. I kind of hate that this process is so messy.

Ugh, I'm sorry if that's the case. This stuff seems so random. It WAS a personalized email though, and I've heard from prior years that they get all invites out the same week then quickly send rejections so you'll know for sure soon. I kind of hate that this process is so messy.

Yeah. I know it seems random; I guess patience is our best friend here. Thought I had that site in my bag BUT at least it wasn't my first choice. Good luck with the interview!

I had the same thing happen to me for one of my sites. I had serious physiological reactions to opening the email... heart racing, skin flushed, the whole 9 yards. And it was just a notification of a completed application. My heart can't go through this 16 plus more times!

I saw the update for Children's Mercy Clinical Child --- Anyone have any info on the pediatric track?