2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys - similar question to LastSecondHailMary. I saw the update for UF - both health & child/peds tracks sent out invites. Has anyone heard/have any information on the neuro track at UF?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Invite recieved via mass e-mail to University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center :)
-Date notified: 11/19/14
-Track (if applicable): General/VA
-Interview dates offered: 12/15, 12/22, 1/6, 1/12, 1/26.

Reactions: 3 users
Baruch College Counseling Center sent invitation via email, tailored to out of town applicants, with interview dates end of November, early December, and January 30th

Members don't see this ad :)
Baruch College Counseling Center sent invitation via email, tailored to out of town applicants, with interview dates end of November, early December, and January 30th
And apparently, based on their APPIC interview stats, they interview everyone...well 72/75 folks lol
There goes my excitement for being interviewed
Those poor 3 who didn't get interviews....

Reactions: 1 users
And apparently, based on their APPIC interview stats, they interview everyone...well 72/75 folks lol
There goes my excitement for being interviewed
Those poor 3 who didn't get interviews....

Love it!!!

Children's Mercy contacted via phone call on 11/14 (peds track). Interview Dates 1/12 and 1/13

Bummer for me, congrats for you!!!

Any of the child/peds applicants hear anything from Nationwide yet? It seems they usually have interviews mid-Dec and send out invites on the earlier side of things.

Reactions: 2 users
I came back to add that my last interview invite was in my spam folder!!! Check your junk folders often!

I came back to add that my last interview invite was in my spam folder!!! Check your junk folders often!
""Hooray, no spam here" [...]

Any of the child/peds applicants hear anything from Nationwide yet? It seems they usually have interviews mid-Dec and send out invites on the earlier side of things.

I'm anxiously awaiting Nationwide too. Hopefully it's good news for both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sites usually do not contact everyone on the same day. So there is still a chance.

Oklahoma Health Sciences Center consortium
Neuro track
Invite via personal phone call received today (11/19)

Greater Hartford Clinical Psychology Internship Consortium (VA) invitation by e-mail

Re: Hartford Consortium/Newington VA
Mass. Interview dates offered: December 5, 12, 19, Jan 9 and 16

rejection:nationwide- IDD track

I thought i would cry when i received my first rejection but i am too numb to react lol:(

I thought i would cry when i received my first rejection but i am too numb to react lol:(

Sorry, gigi! I think we will all remember our first rejection... I had back-to-back-to-back turn-downs before I got my first. Things were looking pretty bad until that first invite!

mass e-mail. 5 dates offered. December 5, 12, 19, and January 9, 16.

That may mean I am out of the running for that one :( Oh well, I guess I should be happy that I have one interview invite already and it is still early. Congrats,

I told myself that I would try to cognitively reframe rejections as, "At least it's one less interview I have to go on/place I have to spend time traveling to/money I have to spend." Because rejections are actually good things for those reasons! And while it also feels surreal and confusing to receive a rejection, at least it cuts out the mystery over a particular site. You know to stop spending time thinking about the site or caring about their materials. ALSO - another positive spin is that although they've rejected you now, that same site may actually pop up again in Phase II if you end up in that position so there's always some minor possibility you can apply again.

Hopefully one of those perspectives will help get you/us all through rejections!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks guys, your support helps.

I told myself that I would try to cognitively reframe rejections as, "At least it's one less interview I have to go on/place I have to spend time traveling to/money I have to spend." Because rejections are actually good things for those reasons! And while it also feels surreal and confusing to receive a rejection, at least it cuts out the mystery over a particular site. You know to stop spending time thinking about the site or caring about their materials. ALSO - another positive spin is that although they've rejected you now, that same site may actually pop up again in Phase II if you end up in that position so there's always some minor possibility you can apply again.

Hopefully one of those perspectives will help get you/us all through rejections!
So, a related thought/question: -- I am having this kind of more picky moment... -- if I'd end up receiving no invites, just rejections, am I still eligible to move to Phase II, b/c, technically, I had no chance to not matching, correct?

Does anybody have the link to the interview number/match stats from last year? I'm sure it's easy to find but for some reason my google powers are lacking today.

So, a related thought/question: -- I am having this kind of more picky moment... -- if I'd end up receiving no invites, just rejections, am I still eligible to move to Phase II, b/c, technically, I had no chance to not matching, correct?
Yes, so long as you registered for the match. Here's the question/answer piece that speaks to this:

3. Who is eligible to participate in Phase II?

Any applicant who registered for the APPIC Match on or before February 4, 2015, and who did not obtain an internship position in Phase I, is eligible to participate in Phase II. This includes applicants who (a) withdrew from Phase I, (b) did not submit a Rank Order List in Phase I, or (c) did submit a Rank Order List but were unmatched in Phase I. An applicant who has accepted an internship position at a program that is not participating in the APPIC Match is NOT eligible to participate in Phase II.

But really, it is so so early to be hearing back from anyone at all. Unless you've gotten all rejections from every site, I wouldn't worry about this yet!

Yes, so long as you registered for the match. Here's the question/answer piece that speaks to this:

3. Who is eligible to participate in Phase II?

Any applicant who registered for the APPIC Match on or before February 4, 2015, and who did not obtain an internship position in Phase I, is eligible to participate in Phase II. This includes applicants who (a) withdrew from Phase I, (b) did not submit a Rank Order List in Phase I, or (c) did submit a Rank Order List but were unmatched in Phase I. An applicant who has accepted an internship position at a program that is not participating in the APPIC Match is NOT eligible to participate in Phase II.

But really, it is so so early to be hearing back from anyone at all. Unless you've gotten all rejections from every site, I wouldn't worry about this yet!

Thanks! ...just one of those nights!!!!!! I haven't gotten any invites nor rejections yet. What ever that means

Thanks! ...just one of those nights!!!!!! I haven't gotten any invites nor rejections yet. What ever that means

It means it's early! :) I have a list of when my sites notified last year, and like 90% notified within a couple days of December 15th. It seems like most sites are pretty similar. Keep the faith! (And also, remind me to keep the faith once I start panicking). ;)

Thanks! So I'm clearly really slow (internship brain) but what page in there has the piece about interview numbers and March rates?
I'm not sure if there's more up to date info but under the "Survey Results" section, they have "Part 2: Applicant Placement by Applicant & Program Characteristics" for the year 2012. (Here's the direct link: http://appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2012Part2.aspx) ... #12 on that page asks about # of interview offers received & match rate. Hope that was what you were looking for!

Seriously losing it... :wacky:

I certainly don't want anymore rejections, but I want to know something! Any info from:
- Nationwide
- Baylor/Tex. Children's
- Mt. Washington Peds
- Minnesota Medical?

Just madness!

Just got my first rejection from Nationwide - Peds track :meh: Hopefully everyone else is more successful!

Heads up: Nationwide rejections went out. Ouch. Good luck to all others!

This happened to a student at my school last year. She got no interview offers so she knew early on that she'd have to rely on Phase II. In a way, knowing ahead of time is helpful because I believe the normal window between Phase I Match Day and Phase II is like 6 days, which leaves little time to prep materials. So, knowing earlier allows more time to reevaluate your essays/training goals/CV (maybe some time to add last minute trainings or presentations) and consult with faculty. You can even get newer, stronger letters of rec if that's what you need. However, you're limited in that you wouldn't know what sites are going to be available so it's hard to tailor things to unknown sites. BUT with this student from last year - she ended up placing at a great site in Phase II that was within an hour of her mom in another state, so she had a good site and a nice, unexpected built-in support system.

Thanks! So I'm clearly really slow (internship brain) but what page in there has the piece about interview numbers and March rates?
I'm too lazy to look at this and see if the answer is on there, but my understanding is that you need 7-8 interviews in order to match. That's my scientific opinion haha.

My first rejection was also Nationwide ped psych track. Sigh. This was one I actually thought that I would get. Hopefully I get an invitation soon so I can recover. :/

It means it's early! :) I have a list of when my sites notified last year, and like 90% notified within a couple days of December 15th. It seems like most sites are pretty similar. Keep the faith! (And also, remind me to keep the faith once I start panicking). ;)
How did you get this list?! Or is this obvious and I'm just losing it? You can PM if you want.

My first rejection was also Nationwide ped psych track. Sigh. This was one I actually thought that I would get. Hopefully I get an invitation soon so I can recover. :/
To clarify, not liking the rejection, but the hoping to get an invitation soon. I hope you get one! And then that opens the floodgates and we all get invites. :)

Not at all. You have a 48% chance of matching with just 1-2 interviews. That's not too bad considering such a low number. The average applicant only gets 6.

I agree I thought I had a good fighting chance for that site!

Hi guys, how many people from the same program do sites typically invite for interviews? We are 5 applying this year and there are 4-5 sites we are all applying to we all applying to. i am wondering if there are any negative consequences of this situation.

Not at all. You have a 48% chance of matching with just 1-2 interviews. That's not too bad considering such a low number. The average applicant only gets 6.

Agreed! Last year, a girl in my program only had 3 interviews and ended up matching at an APA accredited internship in round 1! It can definitely happen. It ain't over til it's over!!! :)