2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess so. I don't carry a handbag and wasn't sure how it appears, what impression they have, how it looks like to carry my map in one hand and a 1 liter bottle in the other. I am from a non US culture and where I come from, this could be interpreted (potentially at least) as inappropriate. But if it is okay to just carry a bottle around for interviews...; I just wasn't sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I stuck a bottle of water in my purse last year. Not sure if you are male or female, so this may or may not be helpful!

I don't have a pursue and am a female

Rejections from UC Santa Cruz UCC and University of Florida UCC via mass email :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess so. I don't carry a handbag and wasn't sure how it appears, what impression they have, how it looks like to carry my map in one hand and a 1 liter bottle in the other. I am from a non US culture and where I come from, this could be interpreted (potentially at least) as inappropriate. But if it is okay to just carry a bottle around for interviews...; I just wasn't sure.
It is absolutely appropriate for you to have a water bottle. I had an interview last week and people were carrying both water bottles and coffee tumblers. The site even provided bottled water and some light snacks (granola bars or something).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm waiting to hear from them too.

Has anyone received a rejection from Sharp Healthcare in San Diego? It looks like invites went out this morning, but I haven't heard anything yet. Hope there was a lot of good news delivered to you all today!

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on 2 sites but I am assuming they will both be rejections. Has anyone received a formal rejection from Denver Health (I know the invites went out last week) and has anyone NOT obtained a snail mail rejection from Northwestern (I know the invites went out several weeks ago)? Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard anything from Northwestern. Still waiting on Columbia too.

I am still waiting on 8 (I wish I could capitalize numbers) places! Grey zone= anxiety

Rejection from Rappahannock Area Community Services Board (RACSB) via mass email.

Anyone heard rejection from College Park Univ Maryland CC? I know they made phone calls inviting folks weeks ago, but there deadline is today and still no word here.

Also, did anyone receive a rejection to Baruch UCC, or did they interview everyone?

Anyone heard rejection from College Park Univ Maryland CC? I know they made phone calls inviting folks weeks ago, but there deadline is today and still no word here.

Also, did anyone receive a rejection to Baruch UCC, or did they interview everyone?
I've been assuming that UMCP is a no-go at this point. They just haven't responded with rejections yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word from Ann Arbor yet? Anybody email to confirm they are/are not contacting people prior to the open house?
Nothing yet... I emailed the TD, but haven't received a response yet. Will update! :)

Anyone heard from Jefferson County (KY) Internship Consortium?

Rejections from UC Santa Cruz UCC and University of Florida UCC via mass email :(

I got the mass email rejection from UC Santa Cruz too. Out of all the rejections I've received, that one hurts the most. I think this whole process is an extreme exercise in distress tolerance. :bang:

Even though we're winding down on reporting invites/rejections, I hope we all still share about the interviews. I'd love to hear the most traumatic questions asked, interview/travel tips, assessment-related tasks, and just anything of interest. I vote for sharing overload!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone received a rejection from Sharp Healthcare in San Diego? It looks like invites went out this morning, but I haven't heard anything yet. Hope there was a lot of good news delivered to you all today!
Yeah I am a little frustrated by this. I heard Sharp sent out invites-and I haven't heard anything. And I heard Napa State sent out rejections, but I haven't heard anything...these are my last two sites! I want to be able to schedule flights!

Interview Invite
Kaiser Walnut Creek
12/15
Mass Email
No track specified
Interviews : they want to get local students to interview by Jan 9. TD will call this week to schedule an interview time

University of Vermont, invite, 12/15, Jan 20 and 30, no track. very excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone not heard from Denver Health?

I saw that some people received invitations and others received rejections around 12/10. Anyone not heard anything at all?

I saw that some people received invitations and others received rejections around 12/10. Anyone not heard anything at all?
I have not heard anything from Denver Health. This is the last one I'm waiting on.

I have not heard anything from Denver Health. This is the last one I'm waiting on.

I'm in the same boat. My classmate got an invite to a different track. I applied to the Health Psych w/ Adult Outpatient. Which track(s) did y'all apply to?

I'm in the same boat. My classmate got an invite to a different track. I applied to the Health Psych w/ Adult Outpatient. Which track(s) did y'all apply to?
I applied to three tracks because this is a site I really want and feel like I'm a good fit for.

HEALTH PSYCH/INPATIENT PSYCH

OUTPATIENT ADULT/INPATIENT PSYCH

HEALTH PSYCH/OUTPATIENT ADULT

Same here. I haven't received anything, but I'm pretty positive it's a rejection since the one I applied for was mentioned already on here. I think they just have a million applicants to go through and contact.

I applied to three tracks because this is a site I really want and feel like I'm a good fit for.

HEALTH PSYCH/INPATIENT PSYCH

OUTPATIENT ADULT/INPATIENT PSYCH

HEALTH PSYCH/OUTPATIENT ADULT

Well, fingers and toes crossed for us both. Keep us posted if you hear back either way please!

How do people feel about flats with a suit skirt? I wore heels for my first interview, and they were a terrible mistake.
:smack:

How do people feel about flats with a suit skirt? I wore heels for my first interview, and they were a terrible mistake.
Have you looked into low heels from Aerosole? Those are what I wear and I could walk in them all day.

Florida state hospital rejection via mass email! Finally! Now to knock out some interviews! :)

I applied to the same - Health Psych w/ Adult Outpatient...

Me too... I heard from all other sites. Hopefully we will hear something; the uncertainty is not pleasant!

In case anyone was wondering, there have been a lot of cookies in my life lately. At last week's interview, there was a big cookie tray because they must have read this thread... and then today, I hosted a cookie exchange party. Because cookies.

Attachments

• 10847981_10203150227226409_8480645002394242460_n.jpg
    10847981_10203150227226409_8480645002394242460_n.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 5 users
Just rejected from Florida State Hospital.

-Site name: University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center
-Date notified: 12/13
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Rotation: I applied to St. Jude's but it wasn't mentioned specifically in the phone call
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Phone call from current intern
-Interview dates offered: 1/6, 1/14, 1/22, 1/26
Have you gotten a follow-up email yet? I got the phone call on Saturday, too, but haven't received any other information.

still waiting on one site and need to reschedule another.

haven't heard from two others, although they have been mentioned on here a few weeks ago.

Phew, ya'll!!! This process is so emotionally exhausting, but at least we made it through the most common/standard notification date. For better or for worse, onward!

SN: I heard someone discussing cookies loudly at one of my interviews last week. Pretty sure they were a fellow SDNer, but couldn't say anything because it would've been terrible timing! Looks like we really do have a code! ..."Cookies?!?!!?!?! Oh, heeeyyyy!" :hello:

Reactions: 6 users

I think flats are fine if they are "fancy" looking. I would also suggest aerosole, naturalizers, clarks brand heels. Something with a bigger (chunkier) heel is always going to be more comfortable and stable, and something with good padding!

Any other SDNers apply to WVU Health Science Center (in Charleston)? Since they do an open house (by invitation--isn't that a "closed house"?) I sent an email to Dr. Linton expressing my interest in their site and in attending one of the open houses. I know it's a combination of best fit and expressed interest in going for a visit. Anyway, I sent that application in early, on Nov. 20th because I was done with it and emailed Dr. Linton the same day. I haven't heard anything back from him. Has anyone else emailed to ask to attend an open house? If so, did you hear back? Should I email him again? It's been 3 weeks. I expected at least a confirmation of the email or something, since they seem so friendly!

Have you are anyone else active in this conversation heard back from Dr. Linton yet? I know they have a later notification date but I never got a confirmation even that he received my email. Just trying to plan out when my next contact with WVU should be, if any.

Have you are anyone else active in this conversation heard back from Dr. Linton yet? I know they have a later notification date but I never got a confirmation even that he received my email. Just trying to plan out when my next contact with WVU should be, if any.

Nope, I emailed him last Thursday and still haven't heard anything. I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's becoming more difficult not to think that he selectively responds to candidates they're interested in.

Nope, I emailed him last Thursday and still haven't heard anything. I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's becoming more difficult not to think that he selectively responds to candidates they're interested in.
Ditto. I submitted my application in November and emailed the first week of December. I suppose I expected a "got your email and we will review your app. for goodness of fit" following my contact. You know what they say about assuming though. I suppose we just keep waiting it out? It's odd because they seem so friendly in their materials - my DCT even got a good laugh out of their raw and to the point wording about grad students and money.

Any info on the Salt Lake VA, anyone?

A girl in my program was invited to interview at Salt Lake VA on Friday via email, I don't have anymore info except that she received an email from them sometime during the day on Friday while she was interviewing at another site

Ditto. I submitted my application in November and emailed the first week of December. I suppose I expected a "got your email and we will review your app. for goodness of fit" following my contact. You know what they say about assuming though. I suppose we just keep waiting it out? It's odd because they seem so friendly in their materials - my DCT even got a good laugh out of their raw and to the point wording about grad students and money.

I know, I felt the same way. We could always try contacting another faculty member since the website says to be in touch with the faculty you'd be interested in working with-- ask them some questions about their clinical/research work, hopefully get a reply and then ask about invitations. Sort of a back-door approach? Maybe he replied to the other SDNer because they asked questions about the program.

I still haven't heard a confirmation of a date from the Village. Anyone else in that boat?

Also I haven't heard from the Mailman Center.

I want this DONE with.

still no word from:
Denver Health
Citrus Health
and SAPIC La Frontera

Patience officially sucks!

Has anyone *NOT* heard from Duke Med/Psychiatry program? I applied to the Child Clinical and haven't heard anything though it seems a lot of invites and rejections were sent out quite a while ago. I'm wondering if I just missed an email somehow although I have been obsessively checking my spam folder.

update - NVM. received a (wonderfully swift!) reply from the program. Somehow I missed the rejection on Dec. 5- bummer but not unexpected. They were wonderfully kind about it at least. Best of luck everyone!