2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who else is feeling swamped with going through TONS of secondaries!? I should have pre-written haha!
Yes..in the same boat... Struggling to get these things out...not to mention the $$ :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes..in the same boat... Struggling to get these things out...not to mention the $$ :confused:

lol I turned in 4 last week. I've never seen my paycheck go so quickly an hour after receiving it haha. I'm waiting on 2 more secondaries (Howard and Meharry) but those won't come til August so I have time to save lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my first Interview invite already!! I am really excited!! Very quick turn around at one school!

Reactions: 4 users
I received my first Interview invite already!! I am really excited!! Very quick turn around at one school!

holy, congrats!! one of my schools hasn't even sent my transcript in yet after 2 weeks so I'm not even under consideration for verification yet. so bummed. way to be much more responsible than I!

No money left for me but I have 2 interviews!!! So makes it worth it

Reactions: 2 users
Received one too! Lol. Still writing secondaries though :|

Hey everyone I wanted to join! I'm probably crazy but I applied to 30+ MD and DO schools haha. Also a FL resident so I have to apply to more. If you believe you can do it then go with your heart and go for it! Good luck y'all!

Last edited:
I have my stuff on MDapps, but Rochester and Pittsburgh.

Yup also have an interview invite from Rochester... Hopefully they hand out acceptance letters early..and I receive one so my mind can be at ease lol

Yup also have an interview invite from Rochester... Hopefully they hand out acceptance letters early..and I receive one so my mind can be at ease lol

That's awesome! I'm really excited to go. Would be a dream to get an early acceptance.

I envy you guys. not even close to being verified yet :( suckssss

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic, all of you. I feel a blessed application season coming...

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to you guys!!! I look forward to posting in a thread like this in the upcoming years.

Good luck everyone!

- Make sure to get your LOR early (now)
- Apply for FAP if you haven't already.
- Get a good working CV/resume ready now, and be prepared to write a paragraph summary (high quality) for each, so you're ready for the AMCAS primary opening day.
- Get cracking on your PS (don't let it be your Achilles heel)
- You will be tired after the primary, but get cracking on the secondary drafts as soon as possible -- don't wait, they'll pile up fast. Return secondary within two weeks.
- Beast on research about each school for interviews.
- And apply early.
- Apply early.
- Early!

I agree.

Apply early and broadly! The last thing you want to do is regret applying to enough programs. Contact schools politely after apps are in and inquire about your app. Call and send follow up email. Explain to them what specific about their program you are interested in.

================
www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: facebook.com/awebbmd
Follow me at: antoniowebbmd.wordpress.com

Early. Early. Early. Get everything in as early as possible...AMCAS apps, secondaries, responses to interview invites...everything. Last year, during the summer, I told myself that I wanted to have nearly all of my secondary applications completed by the second week of August. I vividly remember trying to submit secondaries over terrible internet connections while I was abroad in Africa last summer. lol Do what you need to ensure that everything is in EARLY.

I can't overemphasize the importance of the personal statement. Make several drafts and have plenty of people read it. If you haven't submitted your AMCAS app yet, take some time to ensure it's as perfect as it can be. I'd be happy to read statements. Just inbox me.

Good luck everyone!

I think the key aspect of your personal statement is the introduction. When I sat on the admissions board this past year, I would often skip over and skim ps with redundatory or mundane introductions. I enjoyed the ones that caught my attention right off the bat

Good luck!

================

I agree.

Apply early and broadly! The last thing you want to do is regret applying to enough programs. Contact schools politely after apps are in and inquire about your app. Call and send follow up email. Explain to them what specific about their program you are interested in.

================

How long after submitting an app should we send a follow up email?

How long after submitting an app should we send a follow up email?

I would give it a few weeks until after they start sending out invites. You dont want to be a pest but at the same time you want the school to know you are very interested in them

I would give it a few weeks until after they start sending out invites. You dont want to be a pest but at the same time you want the school to know you are very interested in them

Cool. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Got 3 interview invitations last week! Whoever said that applying early was important wasn't lying.

Reactions: 3 users
Just one II so far, but my advisor took forever to send my LOR so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get some more :)

I feel so behind lol. you guys are killing it already! i'm waiting on verification and still waiting a few weeks for my committee letter to be completed. this sucks

I feel so behind lol. you guys are killing it already! i'm waiting on verification and still waiting a few weeks for my committee letter to be completed. this sucks

Aww don't stress out though! It's still early in the cycle. I only turned mine in that early cuz my stats aren't great so I have a better chance lol What are your stats?

Aww don't stress out though! It's still early in the cycle. I only turned mine in that early cuz my stats aren't great so I have a better chance lol What are your stats?

haha my stats are pretty low as well, which is why I worry lol. applying both MD and DO.

MD GPA is lower at 3.3/3.1, DO is 3.5/3.4. MCAT is 27, which I'm not happy about, but too late to retake for this year. hoping for the best. huge upward trend and solid ECs I hope will help

haha my stats are pretty low as well, which is why I worry lol. applying both MD and DO.

MD GPA is lower at 3.3/3.1, DO is 3.5/3.4. MCAT is 27, which I'm not happy about, but too late to retake for this year. hoping for the best. huge upward trend and solid ECs I hope will help

We have almost identical stats lol but as long as you get verified by the end of this month you'll be good :) you'll def have a good chance at DO and still have a chance at MD. Start pre-writing secondaries so you can turn em in ASAP once you get verified.

anyone know how accurate these statistics seem to be? according to this I have a much better shot than I ever anticipated. still not getting any hopes up though.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2013factstable25-2.pdf
They're pretty good. But according to this I could've had a shot with a 20 MCAT and I got auto-rejected across the board lol so you have to keep in mind things that affect the selection process like ECs, clinical and research experience, PS, extenuating circumstances, etc. but being URM does help ;)

We have almost identical stats lol but as long as you get verified by the end of this month you'll be good :) you'll def have a good chance at DO and still have a chance at MD. Start pre-writing secondaries so you can turn em in ASAP once you get verified.

haha that's great news! I should be verified by the end of this month. ill follow your success closely and hope mine can mirror it once I'm verified lol. sending good vibes to us all

Where are y'all getting II's to? Congrats!!

Two interview invites so far from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, and University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine!

Definitely helps to apply early! I don't know how early I applied par say , but verified July 20ish.

Good luck to everyone! :) Let's keep active and share successes and encouragements on this thread!

:D

Reactions: 4 users
First II. Let's goooooo!!!! So grateful and excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Two interview invites so far from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, and University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine!

Definitely helps to apply early! I don't know how early I applied par say , but verified July 20ish.

Good luck to everyone! :) Let's keep active and share successes and encouragements on this thread!

:D

What day are you coming to Pritzker? I can try to be at the multicultural breakfast :p

Hi everyone,

I hope we can get though this together, please update the thread as you hear from schools, receive, and complete secondaries, we might be applying to the same schools.
Hope we get more love than the old folks :):):):):)

Haha! What does that even mean? (more love than the old folks...) Are you talking about our non-trad thread? Thought i'd check in here see how everyone was doing.

@StudentofHonors I too am interviewing at UNMC (oct 3). Good luck! And i also applied to Pritzker. I was a bit late to the game though. It's an amazing school and I like their fit/family philosophy i just didn't think i was anywhere near competitive enough to apply. Then they sent me an email about wanting to see my app and it took me weeks to take the plunge.

How did you all pick your schools? It was a tough decision for me as my LizzyM (65+) doesn't fit very many schools and certainly none in my area. In the end i applied to many schools that sent me email requests AND that i genuinely wanted to attend. I kinda threw the LizzyM philosophy out the door.

Haha! What does that even mean? (more love than the old folks...) Are you talking about our non-trad thread? Thought i'd check in here see how everyone was doing.

@StudentofHonors I too am interviewing at UNMC (oct 3). Good luck! And i also applied to Pritzker. I was a bit late to the game though. It's an amazing school and I like their fit/family philosophy i just didn't think i was anywhere near competitive enough to apply. Then they sent me an email about wanting to see my app and it took me weeks to take the plunge.

How did you all pick your schools? It was a tough decision for me as my LizzyM (65+) doesn't fit very many schools and certainly none in my area. In the end i applied to many schools that sent me email requests AND that i genuinely wanted to attend. I kinda threw the LizzyM philosophy out the door.

I think by old folks he means last year's applying class ;)

I have a low lizzyM too, I keep telling people it's not a numbers game. If it was, there's many ppl who would have no chance. So far, I've seen ppl get rejected with stellar stats and others being given chances with what are less than "competitive" stats so it's easy to see it is not all about the numbers. I hope to be one of the successful ones, but we shall see. Best of luck to you!

First rejection of the cycle today. University of Wisconsin. I knew i wouldn't have much luck at state schools so I guess i'm not to0 bummed about it. So far 1 rejection, 1 II, and 18 left to hear from.

Well...rejected from Wisconsin then received my 2nd II and it's from YALE. I can't say it's been a bad day! Rather it's been an incredible day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II from Minnesota! That makes three II's. I know it's not my stats but i was super honest and humble in my primary and secondaries. Thought maybe i was a bit too honest on some points.

II from Minnesota! That makes three II's. I know it's not my stats but i was super honest and humble in my primary and secondaries. Thought maybe i was a bit too honest on some points.

Damn lol I hope to be like you soon ;)

Well...rejected from Wisconsin then received a my 2nd II and it's from YALE. I can't say it's been a bad day! Rather it's been an incredible day!

I just got one from Yale today too! See you there lol

lol my goodness. what do your stats look like? interviews at Yale?! that's awesome, congrats!