SIU-MEDPREP 2014 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EWO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying for this program, cycle 2. Got great vibes from person I phoned to answer some questions of mine; Also have a student from my undergraduate in the program and there MCAT score has doubled!!! really hoping I can get accepted here! *fingers crossed*

Stats:
Not an IL resident
GPA 3.0, BCPM 2.9 , MCAT #atrocious
Application: In progress :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying for this program, cycle 2. Got great vibes from person I phoned to answer some questions of mine; Also have a student from my undergraduate in the program and there MCAT score has doubled!!! really hoping I can get accepted here! *fingers crossed*

Stats:
Not an IL resident
GPA 3.0, BCPM 2.9 , MCAT #atrocious
Application: In progress :)

Good luck EWO! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
@Pink
where you invited for cycle 1 interview days? did you hear back already via email or phone?

did you already hear back via email or phone?? if so when?

I heard back today via email. But I called a couple of weeks ago and they said that invitations would be sent by tmrw, Oct 25.

good luck!

I just applied as well. I hope we all get accepted! :)

I applied for cycle 2 as well. But I am worried about the length of the essays. How long were yours?

I'm so glad I found this thread! I applied to cycle 2 as well, best of luck to everyone!

I applied for cycle 2, hoping I get an invite! Best of luck to everybody!!! My essays were approximately 750-1000 words.

Happy New Year all!!!! has anyone heard anything via email or paper mail? I submitted before the Dec 6 deadline but have not heard anything back. *I know the admissions days are in Feb/Mar ...but do you typically hear back before then? Anyone? *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad :)
:( fiddle sticks! Well I guess all I can do now is wait until Feb. I am sure if I haven't heard by then its a silent rejection *double checks gmail*

I been invited to attend Admissions Day for cycle 2. I'm super excited, I received an email on Jan 27. Has anymore else been invited? Usually how many people do they accept into the program?

Is this a mandatory 2 year program?

I have been invited to admissions day! I will be attending on March 3. It is NOT a mandatory 2 year program but it is encouraged. There is about 70 students accepted per term. So it lets you know how competitive the program is.

Has anyone been accepted from cycle 1 or 2? Do you have any suggestions for people who are about to interview. Thank you!!

I have been invited to admissions day! I will be attending on March 3. It is NOT a mandatory 2 year program but it is encouraged. There is about 70 students accepted per term. So it lets you know how competitive the program is.
I'll be there on March 3 as well. Can't wait to meet everyone!

yea i got a call from him too, but am not sure why (wasn't able to answer). hlover0325, what did he say? i thought it was odd to get a call on a Sunday afternoon.....

yea i got a call from him too, but am not sure why (wasn't able to answer). hlover0325, what did he say? i thought it was odd to get a call on a Sunday afternoon.....

my friend applied and got a call yesterday. she called back today and found out she was accepted

Yea, I just called again and found out I was accepted as well. Wishing everyone else the best of luck! I was told 37 were accepted. I wonder how many people were interviewed. Our cycle had a small cohort/interview group (about 10-12 I think), so if that is the same for the other cycles, then I'm sure everyone has a high chance of getting in! :)

Last edited:
i too applied and got accepted. I got a call saturday night and Mr. Stevens told me that they accepted only 37 students. My admission day was on 2/28.:)

He just told me that I had been accepted into the program and that I would get an official packet in the mail some time this week.

For those of you who got in I created a page on Facebook for our class titled SIU Medprep Class of 2016. Please join so we can connect!

Last edited:
Yea, I just called again and found out I was accepted as well. Wishing everyone else the best of luck! I was told 37 were accepted. I wonder how many people were interviewed. Our cycle had a small cohort/interview group (about 10-12 I think), so if that is the same for the other cycles, then I'm sure everyone has a high chance of getting in! :)

Hi! I will be joining you all in MEDPREP this summer! I'm from cycle one. About 14 of us interviewed for cycle one.

For those of you who got in I created a page on Facebook for our class titled SIU Medprep Class of 2016. Please join so we can connect!
There is also a private google group that Mr. Stevens made up. So far the people that got in from cycle one is in it. You should ask Mr. Stevens to add you all to the group, or he should be adding you all soon....

You should create a facebook group opposed to a "likes page"

There is also a private google group that Mr. Stevens made up. So far the people that got in from cycle one is in it. You should ask Mr. Stevens to add you all to the group, or he should be adding you all soon....

How long did it take you to get invited to that google group after you were accepted?? Mr. S didn't send one out to us yet ...

How long did it take you to get invited to that google group after you were accepted?? Mr. S didn't send one out to us yet ...

That is actually how we found out that we got in initially. He emailed us the google group invite and said congrats. We received the official paperwork a week later via mail. I said something about adding the cycle two members to the group in the google group forum last night, so hopefully he will add you all soon. I do agree that the SIU MEDPREP on Facebook should be a group instead of a page.

Just heard back from him, He said he will be adding you all this week.

I have deleted the Facebook likes page and added a group titled SIU MEDPREP Class of 2016. Please join so we can connect

I have deleted the Facebook likes page and added a group titled SIU MEDPREP Class of 2016. Please join so we can connect

yea...the group is not showing up on Facebook when I try to search it.....

congrats to all that were accepted. I'm not on Facebook :-( and I'm in cycle two so i haven't been added to the gmail/google hangout group. Should we be concerned about fafsa? The deadline has already passed....how do they want us to take care of that....?

Last edited:
congrats to all that were accepted. i'm not on facebook :-( and i'm in cycle two so i haven't been added to the gmail group. should we be concerned about fafsa? the deadline has already passed....how do they expect us to take care of that....?

Yes! definitely get your fasfa done. 2013-2014 one for the summer, (or if already done, add SIU for the school) and 2014-2015 for the school year. Really at this point, fasfa will most likely only aid you with federal loans (since we already have a bachelors=no more free money from fasfa, lol). Depending on if you do just the MEDPREP program or the MEDPREP with Masters will determine how much federal loans you will qualify for. Graduate students can receive more federal loan aid than undergrads can. If you used all your fasfa aid for the 2013-2014 school year, you are most likely not going to get aid for the summer through fasfa. MEDPREP has asked for both of my fasfas (SAR reports). I would definitely talk to your assigned MEDPREP advisor more about it.

congrats to all that were accepted. i'm not on facebook :-( and i'm in cycle two so i haven't been added to the gmail group. should we be concerned about fafsa? the deadline has already passed....how do they expect us to take care of that....?

and don't quote me, and I encourage you to look more into it, but I believe you can still qualify for federal loans with fasfa even after the deadline. Just get it in as soon as possible. I remember last year I filled out my fasfa in June and started school in August at a university and was able to still get loan aid. Like I said, I would not count on any free money from fasfa anymore, but I figured it is better to take out federal loans, than mess with those private loans.

k thanks! anyone interested in the mph or ms program??

Last edited:
Im not doing either of the master's programs. At admissions day I asked if completing them would make my med school applications look better, and they said that it wouldn't really make a difference.

I would of loved to do a masters, but my science background is not strong enough to qualify. I think it's for the best though. I really need to focus on the MCAT and getting a better understanding in the sciences.

S
I would of loved to do a masters, but my science background is not strong enough to qualify. I think it's for the best though. I really need to focus on the MCAT and getting a better understanding in the sciences.

So I realized that my response didn't make any sense, but you guys get the jist of it! Lol

lol not really ^ what do you mean? also, another question, so if we decide to do the master's program, we would be taking grad school classes AND studying for the MCAT? I must have missed that during admissions days lmbo.

lol not really ^ what do you mean? also, another question, so if we decide to do the master's program, we would be taking grad school classes AND studying for the MCAT? I must have missed that during admissions days lmbo.

On my phone, my response looked weird. Lol

It's suppose to be more on your plate I heard, but that's an advisor question. If you talk to your advisor she will give you how classes would be set up if you did MPH or MS in biological science.

oh cool, thanks! so y'all have already been assigned to an advisor?? Ehh.. Mr. Stevens needs to get on the ball with us cycle 2 folks (interviewed Mar 3rd). All we got was a random phone call on the weekend . Have all of you guys confirmed? I'm still deciding if I am going to accept it though, I have been concerned with how up kept the program is.... I always find typos in everyone of Mr. Stevens messages.