2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.8cgpa 3.6sgpa 25 - **** load of ECs , presidency, tutoring, honors program, 900 hours of clinical experience etc etc etc. i know according to last year stats - 53/61 ppl with my stats were accepted but I know its not as simple as looking at a grid.
i wouldn't be as worried if it wasn't for the timing of my score release and stuff
You seem to have a lot of ECs, if your MCAT is balanced I think you should still give it a shot. Plan to retake the MCAT again in case if you don't get anything this year, but don't throw in the towel just yet ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I'm always a plan B type of person. But the thought of studying for a whole new mcat is agonizing :'( but yeah I'm going to keep it pushing and still try my best

I was gonna say study for the old one which is still going to be administered in January I believe. The new MCAT won't start til later so you'd still have 3-4 months to study for improvement on the old exam. That would be just in case anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
II for UCLA DG today!

Reactions: 4 users
I think i'd die if i started interviewing this week! Not enough time to prepare... (I have 5 II's). Congrats @elizabetts !

Edit: Good luck next week! Maybe check out the Harvard questions for specific types of interviews, i thought it was really helpful.
Where can I find the Harvard questions?

I'm just going to post it all in case anything else might be helpful. Here's what i've been reading through. I went through a mock interview after reading through some of these and it was obvious to me i needed to write out the answers and say them out loud. Even though i had read them previously i still struggled to clearly and concisely get my point across...I was too much of a rambler. I'd suggest answering them out loud and really listen to what you are saying. Good Luck!

1. 100 Medical School Interview Practice Questions (University of Colorado at Boulder)
http://www.colorado.edu/advising/sites/default/files/attached-files/Med_100 intquest.pdf

2. Harvard/Cornell/Duke/Stanford/Sunny/Buffalo (Specific Questions)
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/anscjobs/medical/questions.pdf

3. Harvard
http://www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/students/careers/medicine/applicationprocess/interview.htm
and the attached file

4. Interview Tips
http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/Forms/InterviewingTips.Capers.OSU.pdf

5. MMI-ethical issues U of Washington
https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

6. Your primary and secondary application
Oh have mercy...i can't emphasize this enough, especially after my first interview.

Attachments

• health_med_interview_workshop_2013.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I was gonna say study for the old one which is still going to be administered in January I believe. The new MCAT won't start til later so you'd still have 3-4 months to study for improvement on the old exam. That would be just in case anyway.
I just got my first interview invite today!!! so at least one school thinks i have a little bit of a chance hahaha

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! I am an african american senior from Georgetown University with a 3.7gpa , 3.65cgpa 12-6-14 (32) on my MCAT (low verbal scores). I am already verified but I'm not sure if its too late to submit my secondaries or retake my mcat instead and apply next cycle? What schools should I apply to with my stats? I'm afraid of getting rejected because of my low verbal scores :(!

Hey guys! I am an african american senior from Georgetown University with a 3.7gpa , 3.65cgpa 12-6-14 (32) on my MCAT (low verbal scores). I am already verified but I'm not sure if its too late to submit my secondaries or retake my mcat instead and apply next cycle? What schools should I apply to with my stats? I'm afraid of getting rejected because of my low verbal scores :(!

Don't retake your MCAT. Submit your secondaries ASAP.

I know a guy from Haiti who applied with either a 6 or 7 in verbal. He applied only to MD/PHD programs at a few top schools and managed to pull 4 interviews. He didn't get in, but still managed to pull interviews at top schools (Columbia,Cornell,etc). Some schools have sub-score cutoffs below 8, but if all you want is an acceptance then I say go for it and apply broadly. Especially to schools in the Midwest where they are desperately seeking to increase diversity

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Look at the individual schools and make sure there aren't any that say there's a verbal subscore cut off. But I know someone right now with 4 II and they have a 5 VR score so anything's possible :)

I don't recommend a retake because your total is awesome! Good luck!

SUBMIT your secondaries ASAP. I have a friend now at a solid top 10 school with similar stats as yours--including the verbal score!

Im from Washington DC and my personal statement is about my public school education (DC has one of the worst public school systems). I'm going to start submitting them ASAP! Also although my gpa is a 3.7, I have strong upward trends because I finished my freshman year with a 3.1 but I have gotten 3.95's ever since and really picked up my grades. I will start picking my school list ASAP!

so which schools have been the friendliest as far as giving out IIs to us so far in the season?

are they OOS friendly? I wonder why that is lol

If you look on MSAR they have a ton of interviews and then only select a small group of OOS students, smaller than IS students obviously. They're a little bit more OOS friendly than most state schools, but no one really gets why they interview so many OOS ppl lol

If you look on MSAR they have a ton of interviews and then only select a small group of OOS students, smaller than IS students obviously. They're a little bit more OOS friendly than most state schools, but no one really gets why they interview so many OOS ppl lol

lol I'm beginning to realize that no one really gets why any medical school does anything they do. thanks for the heads up though!

Glad to see everyone's success with II ! I hope I join you guys soon. Committee letter took forever to be sent so I'm just starting to get complete at schools. :( Scared i'm late in the game (esp with this thread) lol

Glad to see everyone's success with II ! I hope I join you guys soon. Committee letter took forever to be sent so I'm just starting to get complete at schools. :( Scared i'm late in the game (esp with this thread) lol

lol almost exact same situation. it sucks but lets try to be positive

Reactions: 1 user

You're definitely not late in the game (unless you're applying MD/PhD, in which case you're a bit late). Keep in mind that sdn inherently selects for overachievers -- you really don't need 20 II's right now to still be on the right track. Also keep in mind that a lot of II's don't come in until october/november. For example, I have a friend who got a full-ride to a top 10 school after applying early and not getting an II until November.

Tl;dr - You're fine! Don't worry! Keep going!

Reactions: 6 users
lol I'm beginning to realize that no one really gets why any medical school does anything they do. thanks for the heads up though!
Yeah, I think until you're on a committee you'll never understand why they do what they do...this is why I'm thankful for all the SDN users that are adcoms in real life lol

Reactions: 2 users
You're definitely not late in the game (unless you're applying MD/PhD, in which case you're a bit late). Keep in mind that sdn inherently selects for overachievers -- you really don't need 20 II's right now to still be on the right track. Also keep in mind that a lot of II's don't come in until october/november. For example, I have a friend who got a full-ride to a top 10 school after applying early and not getting an II until November.

Tl;dr - You're fine! Don't worry! Keep going!

Thanks for the encouragement. It can be hard to think like that when you're seeing people boast about II #10 lol. But you're right. Good luck to you this cycle!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. Hopefully we will be as successful last year's URM SDN posters.

Hey guys! Just wanting to check-in and show some love for my fellow URMs , you are all doing really great! I've had a successful season so far with 9 MD-PhD interviews and 2 MD interviews so far! More info is on my MD Apps (under my name). Good luck to everyone and PM me if you have any questions :):highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Just wanting to check-in and show some love for my fellow URMs , you are all doing really great! I've had a successful season so far with 9 MD-PhD interviews and 2 MD interviews so far! More info is on my MD Apps (under my name). Good luck to everyone and PM me if you have any questions :):highfive:

damn, that's just domination lol. maybe ill get a II someday...

Someone needs to make an acceptance thread soon (not me lol)! Good job to those with IIs, keep hanging in there and fighting to those still looking for II number 1! Best wishes for everyone as the month turns to October!

Reactions: 3 users
damn, that's just domination lol. maybe ill get a II someday...
Oh shucks lol :X3: thank you! Now just hoping I can nail a few interviews... but hey, you keep your chin up! It's early in the cycle and I'm sure you'll be fine :) If you or anyone else is still filling out secondaries and whatnot, and want someone to look over them, feel free to send them my way! Best of luck to you!!! :luck::luck::luck:

4 IIs so far. Hopefully 1 will evolve into an acceptance! Abundant blessing and good luck to everyone.

just got my first interview invite and nearly fell out of my bed in excitement!!!! so this is what it feels like...

Reactions: 13 users
Yay!! Congrats! I'm so happy for you cuz I know you were freaking out about your committee letter being late lol

haha thanks so much! freaking out is an understatement, but glad to finally be getting this show on the road here

Congrats @DoctorLacrosse ! Now go nail the interview!

For all of you who have been interviewing at schools so far, have there been a decent number of URMs with you?

In my two interviews so far I've seen 2..and that includes me lol

Congrats @DoctorLacrosse ! Now go nail the interview!

For all of you who have been interviewing at schools so far, have there been a decent number of URMs with you?

? are you worried about the number of URM's? Unless someone flat out tells you or is clearly dark skinned i'm not sure you're going to be able to assess who is an URM.

? are you worried about the number of URM's? Unless someone flat out tells you or is clearly dark skinned i'm not sure you're going to be able to assess who is an URM.

exactly what I was going to say! can't judge a book by it's cover