2014-2015 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they take updates and how?

We have the Assistant Dean of Admissions visiting our campus today. I will ask (because I am curious too) and let everyone know.

Any other questions you guys might want me to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! M1 here at CHM happy to answer questions. I'm in GR now, but I went to MSU for undergrad, so I feel as though I know both campuses very well.

Excited to meet some of you on interview day! :)

Do you have a choice as to which campus you may attend for preclinical years, or is it predetermined/lottery?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today too! Complete 8/22, IS, 28MCAT, 3.55 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA and 4.0 Master's GPA :)

SO EXCITED!

Reactions: 1 users
II today! OOS LizzyM 70. No ties to state. Honestly, I'm surprised (in the best possible way!) Its going to get expensive to interview....

"The College of Human Medicine uses two types of interview assessments: a one-on-one, 30-minute structures interview with a current medical student, where you will be asked to address two questions, and a multiple mini-interview (MMI)."

I wonder what the "two questions" are, or how that takes up 30 minutes. There has to be more to the student interview, right?

Does anyone know how strict MSU is about the basic science LOR? I have a letter from a basic science professor but he didn't technically teach me in class (research credit). I also have a letter from a clinical psychology professor, but I imagine that wouldn't be considered basic science. Am I screwed?

II yesterday! OOS, no ties to state, complete e-mail 8/29

Do you have a choice as to which campus you may attend for preclinical years, or is it predetermined/lottery?

I'm not entirely sure if it's first-admitted first-served, or how the order goes, but you do get to submit a preference.

There is a good chance you'll get the campus of your choice, but let me just put it this way: Everyone who picked EL got EL. I met one guy in orientation from EL who said he chose EL. Just one. I asked that question a lot.

I know of one classmate who drives from GR to EL every day because she lives in GR with her parents and didn't get the campus of her choosing. It's definitely not guaranteed.

"The College of Human Medicine uses two types of interview assessments: a one-on-one, 30-minute structures interview with a current medical student, where you will be asked to address two questions, and a multiple mini-interview (MMI)."

I wonder what the "two questions" are, or how that takes up 30 minutes. There has to be more to the student interview, right?

Don't worry; you won't be twiddling your thumbs.

Update from Flint

Attachments

• 1410993445742.jpg
    1410993445742.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 118
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely sure if it's first-admitted first-served, or how the order goes, but you do get to submit a preference.

There is a good chance you'll get the campus of your choice, but let me just put it this way: Everyone who picked EL got EL. I met one guy in orientation from EL who said he chose EL. Just one. I asked that question a lot.

I know of one classmate who drives from GR to EL every day because she lives in GR with her parents and didn't get the campus of her choosing. It's definitely not guaranteed.

Thanks for the info. So you're saying that most people tend to pick GR? How many students are at each campus?

Thanks for the info. So you're saying that most people tend to pick GR? How many students are at each campus?

Yes. There are 95 students at each campus.

Any II's lately? It's been a while, I dunno if I should be anxious or relieved that they're just moving slowly.

Any II's lately? It's been a while, I dunno if I should be anxious or relieved that they're just moving slowly.
hahah I'm feeling a little bit of both...and it has only been 3 weeks since I was marked complete:confused:

hahah I'm feeling a little bit of both...and it has only been 3 weeks since I was marked complete:confused:

It looks like II's went out 8/20-22 from other posts on here. And I (and a few others on here) got II's on 9/15. I'm guessing it's going to be a couple weeks until more go out--just speculating of course.

II invite on 9/15 completed 9/02. Will be in grand rapids from thursday to saturday (08/23-08/25). Does anyone know anything cool to do while there

Art prize! There will be tons of people! Check out the website, it's an amazing event :D congrats ( I'm assuming you mean September not August?)

Art prize! There will be tons of people! Check out the website, it's an amazing event :D congrats ( I'm assuming you mean September not August?)

Thank you, I am not sure what's going on in my head but I actually meant 10/23-10/25. I wish it was this soon for the art prize. Hopefully there is some cool event when I am there. Thanks again.

II invite on 9/15 completed 9/02. Will be in grand rapids from thursday to saturday (08/23-08/25). Does anyone know anything cool to do while there

Do you mind sharing your stats? haha I looked at your MDapp but I'm just curious is that's up to date lol

Do you mind sharing your stats? haha I looked at your MDapp but I'm just curious is that's up to date lol

I dont mind at all sharing and I will be honest haha. 29 MCAT (10ps, 10vb, 9bs), 3.31cGPA, 2.9sGPA , also MPH from the same ivy league. More than the stats though very interesting backgroung (Born in a civil war, lost my father when I was 6, spent 5 years in refugee camp) before coming to the US. High school validictorian with 4.85GPA (4.0) and NCAA division I athlete for 4 years in 2 sports. Sorry for such long history, but there is more to my story than the stats which is what I wanted to get at. If you need more personal details I am more than happy to share my experiences. Thanks

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they take updates and how?

I emailed and they told me that whatever was on my application when I submitted is what will be taken into consideration. So, maybe after interview, but not before.

Forwarded to preliminary review: 9/4, In state, lizzy m ~68

I emailed and they told me that whatever was on my application when I submitted is what will be taken into consideration. So, maybe after interview, but not before.

thank you!!!

Prelim 8/21 and nothing either (IS) =/

Hang in there. There were about 3 weeks in between the last two sets of IIs. Last ones posted by members on here were sent two weeks ago.
I was forwarded to preliminary review on 8/22 and got my II on 9/15. Just be patient, hopefully it's coming soon! :)

Is the forwarded to preliminary review status different from the your app is complete and has been forwarded to a committee for a preliminary review one?

Is the forwarded to preliminary review status different from the your app is complete and has been forwarded to a committee for a preliminary review one?

I think it's the same one. I submitted September 3 and that's the only status I have (aside from the secondary received status).

I don't think its different! Best of luck

Is anyone else having difficulty logging into their portal?

My interview group was told that the 15th "could probably be added" as a decision date. They didn't sound certain about it, though.
Alrighty! Wonder if I met you at the interview...were you EL or GR?

My interview group was told that the 15th "could probably be added" as a decision date. They didn't sound certain about it, though.

Ditto, I think they said Oct 29th would be the latest we'd hear, since the committee meets on Tuesdays and should get them done by the 15

Oh then nope, I was EL! Hope everyone who has interviewed so far had as positive of an experience as I did!

I thought not since your question would have been answered in my group. I was very impressed by everything from the organization of the day to the quality of the facilities to the dedication the students felt to their school. It was a very positive experience!

I've been forwarded for preliminary review since 7/25 . . . anyone else on the same boat? I dunno if this is a rejection or what, but I got an interview last year with a big mistake in my AMCAS with my GPA and my reapplication should be significantly stronger. It's disheartening being that this is my alma mater, as well . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been forwarded for preliminary review since 7/25 . . . anyone else on the same boat. I dunno if this is a rejection or what, but I got an interview last year with a big mistake in my AMCAS with my GPA and my reapplication should be significantly stronger. It's disheartening being that this is my alma mater, as well . . .
maybe I'm missing something, but how would "forward for preliminary review" be a rejection? I took this as your app is complete and in line to be reviewed...

I've been forwarded for preliminary review since 7/25 . . . anyone else on the same boat. I dunno if this is a rejection or what, but I got an interview last year with a big mistake in my AMCAS with my GPA and my reapplication should be significantly stronger. It's disheartening being that this is my alma mater, as well . . .

I've been there since 7/15 lol. Starting to lose hope. :confused:

maybe I'm missing something, but how would "forward for preliminary review" be a rejection? I took this as your app is complete and in line to be reviewed...
I just meant that I'm fearing a rejection since so many who have gone under review more than a month after me are getting II's, but I haven't heard anything, yet.