2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II from one of the only OOS schools that I would be just as happy with as an IS school. They still exist.

Members don't see this ad.

In case you were wondering, there were still dates available for this month. I know it's just one school, but maybe it will help to know not every school has dates filled well in advance.

Aye nothing stings like getting rejected by your employer. Good to know I'm only skilled enough to get paid by a medical school, not to pay them :p
Feel ya! I probably will be rejected by my alma mater who's also my employer. What's worse, I live a block away from it...and from all the interviewee troops. I mean, it's not like I didn't do well at my own school/work and I got II from most other schools in the same caliber...mystery will always be a mystery...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In case you were wondering, there were still dates available for this month. I know it's just one school, but maybe it will help to know not every school has dates filled well in advance.
I remember reading somewhere stated by some Adcoms that many schools like to have only a month or so lead time from giving out II to the interview dates. They said this way they have better rates of people to actually show up for interviews and less withdraw during the long intervals.

Reactions: 2 users
Feel ya! I probably will be rejected by my alma mater who's also my employer. What's worse, I live a block away from it...and from all the interviewee troops. I mean, it's not like I didn't do well at my own school/work and I got II from most other schools in the same caliber...mystery will always be a mystery...

This +1.

I feel that being snubbed by an alma mater can hurt the most sometimes. It's like a close friend not inviting you to their party (I've probably dwelled too much on this.....)

Reactions: 1 user
+2.
At times, I wondered how well mine looked at applications because some people I know from either college or high school who have all the wrong attitudes towards other people and medicine got in. I did the only thing I could do, end my annual alumni donation.

+2.
At times, I wondered how well mine looked at applications because some people I know from either college or high school who have all the wrong attitudes towards other people and medicine got in. I did the only thing I could do, end my annual alumni donation.
I think is perfectly reasonable approach! But you could also look at it this way, if they want people who have, in your estimation, "Wrong attitudes," would you really have wanted to be considered one of them? Often times, different educational levels (undergrad, grad, Phd) can produce very different experiences. In this regard, you could make clear your alumni dollars went to something specific that made a difference to your personal experience. Or like you are doing... walk with your wallet.

I think is perfectly reasonable approach! But you could also look at it this way, if they want people who have, in your estimation, "Wrong attitudes," would you really have wanted to be considered one of them? Often times, different educational levels (undergrad, grad, Phd) can produce very different experiences. In this regard, you could make clear your alumni dollars went to something specific that made a difference to your personal experience. Or like you are doing... walk with your wallet.

Well, not everyone is bad, and I know a good number there who are stand up people, certainly the majority. But the amount that aren't seems a bit high. Regardless, the location, cost, quality of education, and familiarity always trumps having to deal with some bad eggs. Of course, I'm sitting on 0 acceptances so I'd even go to a school filled with Donald Sterlings, Kim Jong Ils, and Virginia Nguyens as long as I get the privilege of practicing medicine. True, I could designate where my donation goes, but after incessant donation calls, 6 copies of the same rejection letter the last cycle, and countless stories of funding misuse has me closing my wallet for now.

Applied at >20 schools, got all of the secondaries. Two early interviews, waitlisted at both. I have no more scheduled. What do?

Applied at >20 schools, got all of the secondaries. Two early interviews, waitlisted at both. I have no more scheduled. What do?
I feel you. I got waitlisted at my IS school and my other interviews hadn't gone so well thus far (decisions are still out). Is this your first time applying? If so, congrats on landing two interviews and sorry that you likely have to prep for a re-app. It probably won't be too hard to get in next year - it seems your app is strong enough to make it past two screeners. I'd see this as halfway to victory.

I am in the exact same situation. I applied to 30 schools. I had two very early interviews that resulted in wait lists and silence since. I haven't heard from any of my state schools yet :/.

Hey everyone, just a reminder that it's not over til it's over which means don't freak out until you absolutely must. I know plenty of people who had interviews in January/February/March and got in as well as folks who got into schools off a waitlist over the summer (yes, it happens). If you have even a single interview then you have a shot. Remember, it only takes one school to accept you and you're set!!!

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, just a reminder that it's not over til it's over which means don't freak out until you absolutely must. I know plenty of people who had interviews in January/February/March and got in as well as folks who got into schools off a waitlist over the summer (yes, it happens). If you have even a single interview then you have a shot. Remember, it only takes one school to accept you and you're set!!!

Hope this helps!

+1

I got an II yesterday out of the blue, so silence just means they're still deciding!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Still no MD interviews yet, but hey, a decent DO school in sunny California? I'll allow it.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it bad that I woke up this morning and started thinking about what to do during next year as a re-applicant?

I know it's still relatively "early" in the cycle, but it is extremely hard not to think about the worst-case scenario………………………….. ;(

Well you might get II from higher caliber universities later on. An interview is an interview even if it is later. But most of my friends who applied last year said it was like a real crap shoot. But for sure admissions talk to each other and will discuss if you're a good "fit" for their school. The guy who told me this was from the committee at Case Western. It's unfortunate that they don't let us know which school they think we'd be a good fit in. :(

My cycle could be better but I can't complain. So far I have one invite, two rejections, one hold, and about twenty something silent schools. Maybe this month will be better for us. We just need to focus on things that we can do now. No sense in fretting about what the adcoms are up to. But I think waiting is way worse than doing all the secondaries at this point. It's really tough :(

@NucleusO I just re-read this post and your realistic optimism made me feel a lot better. Hope the cycle is going well for you!!!

Is it bad that I woke up this morning and started thinking about what to do during next year as a re-applicant?

I know it's still relatively "early" in the cycle, but it is extremely hard not to think about the worst-case scenario………………………….. ;(
It doesn't hurt to start thinking about how to improve your application for the next cycle and what you can do. That way, you can go ahead and just sweep the process :)
I applied way too late last cycle to schools, so I got silence/pre-interview rejections from 90% of my schools, and this cycle, I've already been fortunate enough to have been accepted at a top choice.

It doesn't hurt to start thinking about how to improve your application for the next cycle and what you can do. That way, you can go ahead and just sweep the process :)
I applied way too late last cycle to schools, so I got silence/pre-interview rejections from 90% of my schools, and this cycle, I've already been fortunate enough to have been accepted at a top choice.

Can I ask how "late" you were? I'm starting to think that my late-ness (complete late August at most schools) is hurting me more than I thought it would….

Can I ask how "late" you were? I'm starting to think that my late-ness (complete late August at most schools) is hurting me more than I thought it would….
Late August/early September, so similar to you. What happened was that I was late getting in my transcripts which delayed my primary app verification by like 7 weeks. In August, I suddenly received a large wave of secondaries, and in my (poorly executed) haste, I not only turned in many kind of late, but my quality of writing wasn't fantastic either (I cringed upon re-reading some of them this summer). Out of the 9 schools I'm re-applying to, so far 4 of them have offered me interviews (out of the schools I haven't heard back from, 2 of them are just way out my league, and I don't think I fit the other 3), and I attribute that largely towards turning in my application earlier and writing much better secondary responses (and also improving my application by shadowing more).

Doing my best to chill and limit my SDN lurking. My PI has been on an admissions committee for years and promotes patience. Keep yourself occupied and involved in activities that remind you why you want this. Look forward to the certainties there are, like the upcoming holidays.

Reactions: 6 users
Applied to 7 California schools (my home state). got interviews at a whopping ZERO of them.
it's not even that i feel unloved, it's that i feel downright hated.

Applied to 7 California schools (my home state). got interviews at a whopping ZERO of them.
Most of the applicants from CA (even those who are accepted) do not get into a CA school. You are in good company.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we haven't heard from a school at this point, is there anything we can do to suss out whether we are still being seriously considered?

I work 3 floors above the admissions office of my home institution. It is extremely tempting to go down there and try to talk to someone. I just want to ask them, "So, listen, I work here, I like it here, should I start making plans to move? What's the holdup?"

Last edited:
Verified late August, secondaries complete September. No rejections just dead silence except one II. Woe is the late premed applicant.

I've gotten great schools before and barely a whiff from California schools. UCI was the only state school that even gave me an interview first time around and I had to all but beg after I initially got rejected (then I got put on alternate). Cali produces too many pre-meds, not enough in-state love.

I guess we gotta hope for a nice end-of-cycle frenzy

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/crazy-end-of-cycle-or-not.1106581/

torthare.gif

I still have no interviews I'm so sad :(

I still have no interviews I'm so sad :(
I didn't have one until Thanksgiving last year and tons of applicants get their first one in Feb/March and still matriculate! Chin up! Just remember that you've done absolutely EVERYTHING you could by this point, so there is no reason to worry at all. Watch football, listen to Christmas music (It's never too earlyyyyy!) , go for hikes, do whatever genuinely makes you happy. You will be a doctor at some point, for now we're all just humans that need to sit back and enjoy the cocoa.

Reactions: 10 users
I didn't have one until Thanksgiving last year and tons of applicants get their first one in Feb/March and still matriculate! Chin up! Just remember that you've done absolutely EVERYTHING you could by this point, so there is no reason to worry at all. Watch football, listen to Christmas music (It's never too earlyyyyy!) , go for hikes, do whatever genuinely makes you happy. You will be a doctor at some point, for now we're all just humans that need to sit back and enjoy the cocoa..
It's so hard and stressful, I'm very tempted to consider other options, but I have to try my best to chillax otherwise I will go insane, i'm already sitting on 3 rejections it's so painful.

It's so hard and stressful, I'm very tempted to consider other options, but I have to try my best to chillax otherwise I will go insane, i'm already sitting on 3 rejections it's so painful..

Same Situation! 3 rejections and no news otherwise from about 20 schools. I'm sure we'll hear back soon.

so far 10 rejections, 5 holds, 1 interview to be attended, and 1 waitlist.

23 schools are still refusing to speak to me :mad:

already planning out my reapp years heh...

I'm lucky to have 3 interviews at this point, but I honestly don't know what I would do if the cycle doesn't pan out. I've already taken the MCAT twice... don't think I could do it again. I don't think I can afford to put my life on hold any longer or go through another app cycle without waivers.

I'm lucky to have 3 interviews at this point, but I honestly don't know what I would do if the cycle doesn't pan out. I've already taken the MCAT twice... don't think I could do it again. I don't think I can afford to put my life on hold any longer or go through another app cycle without waivers.

same here, at least for the waiver part. Planning on taking 2 gar years to work and save up for the next time I apply...

and I need to retake MCAT too since my score will expire... which also sucks cause I'd have to take the new MCAT..

At least you can hope cause you have 2 interviews, what about those of us that have none, hope seems very far away.

same here, at least for the waiver part. Planning on taking 2 gar years to work and save up for the next time I apply...

and I need to retake MCAT too since my score will expire... which also sucks cause I'd have to take the new MCAT..

Yeah, I graduated 4 years ago...

On the plus side, my school wouldn't write me a committee letter if I was to apply again so I'd be complete super early because I wouldn't be held back by my school refusing to release letters before mid august.

GOT AN EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peek.jpg

"Your Verizon bill is now available".
ngbbs4671d1d207f32.jpg

Reactions: 27 users
Honestly I regret giving my main email as my AMCAS/contact email.
smashed-computer.gif

Tip for future applicants: Create a separate email account for this application process.

Reactions: 20 users
The last of my 13 secondary applications were submitted around the end of September. That makes it about 5-6 weeks that my application has been "under review". I have only heard back from one school that put me on hold for an interview. Is it time to panic yet?

Dear medical schools,

If no acceptance arrives in my inbox or mail box this year, I will become a malpractice lawyer who will specialize in total war and scorched earth tactics. And I got a 172 on the LSAT, taking it unprepared on a bet. However, I would rather be a force for good rather than a shark. Ball's in your court.

Sincerely,
ZC

Reactions: 14 users
The last of my 13 secondary applications were submitted around the end of September. That makes it about 5-6 weeks that my application has been "under review". I have only heard back from one school that put me on hold for an interview. Is it time to panic yet?

It was time to panic about 5-6 weeks ago

Someone needs to do a case study on this thread cause the responses are getting more and more dark and ominous as time goes on. :bookworm:

Reactions: 3 users
Someone needs to do a case study on this thread cause the responses are getting more and more dark and ominous as time goes on. :bookworm:

Increase in rejections correlates with an increase in darkness. p < 0.0000000000000000000000001

Man, I'd kill for some rejections.

As it is, I'm waiting on 8 schools, and I have no idea why.

Case studies are only for 5 or less patients. You'd need irb approval for this.

I knew someone was gonna call me out as soon as I hit reply. Never change SDN, never change. ;)

I don't really panic (not in my nature), but given that it's now November and I haven't heard a word from the 15 or so schools I'm complete at, I feel a need to join this thread.

I still have ~5 D.O. secondaries in my possession that will be sent back this upcoming week. Hoping to hear about at least one II prior to Thanksgiving.

Good luck all!

I am officially joining this thread. I got 1 MD interview in September and was rejected a couple weeks ago. I've been rejected by a handful of others and still have to hear back from 7 schools. I've been pretty sad about getting rejected from my alma mater as an IS student. I just can't believe it, and I've been emailing and trying to get a hold of the admissions director to speak to her about my app, but I'm getting no responses.

It's hard not to take this personally sometimes, ya know?

Someone said that Goro mentioned that 85% of the interviews have been granted at this point. Please tell me that's not true. It doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:
I am officially joining this thread. I got 1 MD interview in September and was rejected a couple weeks ago. I've been rejected by a handful of others and still have to hear back from 7 schools. I've been pretty sad about getting rejected from my alma mater as an IS student. I just can't believe it, and I've been emailing and trying to get a hold of the admissions director to speak to her about my app, but I'm getting no responses.

It's not hard to take this personally sometimes, ya know?

Someone said that Goro mentioned that 85% of the interviews have been granted at this point. Please tell me that's not true. It doesn't even make sense.
I would estimate that we have less than 10% of our interviews left to distribute.
This percentage is likely to vary by school, though.