2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would estimate that we have less than 10% of our interviews left to distribute.
This percentage is likely to vary by school, though.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I would estimate that we have less than 10% of our interviews left to distribute.
What month are these remaining interviews being conducted in and when does your interview cycle end?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that interview until March would need to have interview spots filled well in advance to only have 10% left. I received two II's this week. One had me choose from dates all within a month. The other allowed choosing of dates a long ways off, but also had dates available within the month and I doubt a majority would willingly choose a later interview date. I definitely believe that there are a number of schools that only have a few interview spots to fill, but there is probably a significant number of schools that have plenty. I hope all of you without any get interviews soon, and hopefully all of us get accepted soon.

Reactions: 6 users

How does it compare to previous years at your school in regards to interviews spots at this time? (I know you have more apps overall - did that change anything?)

I'm in York

How does it compare to previous years at your school in regards to interviews spots at this time? (I know you have more apps overall - did that change anything?)

I'm in York
We were able to fill the available spots with excellent applicants somewhat earlier than usual.

Reactions: 1 user
We were able to fill the available spots with excellent applicants somewhat earlier than usual.

Could that mean you will get a greater proportion of students with multiple acceptances? (That would mean more movement on wait-list which could domino into scramble at lower-tiered schools )

154d_hobbit_gandalf_pipe_prop_replica.jpg

winter_dreaming.jpg

Could that mean you will get a greater proportion of students with multiple acceptances? (That would mean more movement on wait-list which could domino into scramble at lower-tiered schools )

154d_hobbit_gandalf_pipe_prop_replica.jpg

winter_dreaming.jpg
Almost all of our accepted applicants have multiple acceptances every year. I doubt this will be different this year!

I was just told that there are letters from medical school waiting for me at my apartment. The work day today is going to be very long! I would imagine that I've finally heard from some of the SUNYs (I've been complete at them for quite a while now).

I was just told that there are letters from medical school waiting for me at my apartment. The work day today is going to be very long! I would imagine that I've finally heard from some of the SUNYs (I've been complete at them for quite a while now).

Letters? For interview invites? From SUNYs?

... What year is it?

But seriously, I'm waiting to hear back from all my SUNYs regarding II's. Please let me know from who you heard this from, and what the letters are in regards to.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'll try and post what they are about later tonight. I don't know that they are from the SUNYs... I am totally guessing at this point... could be anything (just got a call saying to come by, there are med school letters for me at my old place).

I do know that SUNYs use mail for correspondence, which is very unfortunate since I moved and updated my address, but still have stuff going to be my old one (like these letters). And, it's an hour by train each way!

It might not be an II... maybe a rejection letter... who knows... it's all speculation for now.

Letters? For interview invites? From SUNYs?

... What year is it?

But seriously, I'm waiting to hear back from all my SUNYs regarding II's. Please let me know from who you heard this from, and what the letters are in regards to.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all the SUNY's communicate II's via email. Never heard of them using snail mail other than to notify you of acceptances. So maybe you have a bunch of acceptances at home. ;)

That would be amazing EXCEPT I did not interview at any of them. So maybe rejections? Or maybe they aren't from SUNYs at all. I did see on the SUNY specific threads that people received mail, but I think you are right... they were just acceptance letters being sent out. I now have officially no clue what it could be.

I think all the SUNY's communicate II's via email. Never heard of them using snail mail other than to notify you of acceptances. So maybe you have a bunch of acceptances at home. ;)

I hope it's not a brochure to apply to SUNY Graduate School. Lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Joining the Panic Thread! Or maybe the "Who Feels Crappy" thread would be more appropriate but I kind of feel both.

No ii's, still waiting for my DO letter for DO schools, and I might not be able to pull off a C is ochem 2 which I'm taking right now. So even if I get an ii, I probably won't get in due to ochem.

I know I can always retake ochem and reapply next cycle but I'm having doubts whether I can succeed in med school. Clearly, med schools agree so far.

Joining the Panic Thread! Or maybe the "Who Feels Crappy" thread would be more appropriate but I kind of feel both.

No ii's, still waiting for my DO letter for DO schools, and I might not be able to pull off a C is ochem 2 which I'm taking right now. So even if I get an ii, I probably won't get in due to ochem.

I know I can always retake ochem and reapply next cycle but I'm having doubts whether I can succeed in med school. Clearly, med schools agree so far.
Most medical schools expect to see an ochem grade for both semesters. They may be more lenient towards classes like biochem or English, but not finishing the standard pre-req's (physics, bio, chem, ochem) will probably raise a question about your academic qualifications.

Most medical schools expect to see an ochem grade for both semesters. They may be more lenient towards classes like biochem or English, but not finishing the standard pre-req's (physics, bio, chem, ochem) will probably raise a question about your academic qualifications.

I'll obviously retake next semester if I get below a C...

I'll obviously retake next semester if I get below a C...
I understand. My comment was more intended to address your chances of being admitted this cycle, since clearly those schools don't have your grade for ochem 2 (since you're currently taking it).

I understand. My comment was more intended to address your chances of being admitted this cycle, since clearly those schools don't have your grade for ochem 2 (since you're currently taking it).

Yep. It's certainly not looking promising.

That would be amazing EXCEPT I did not interview at any of them. So maybe rejections? Or maybe they aren't from SUNYs at all. I did see on the SUNY specific threads that people received mail, but I think you are right... they were just acceptance letters being sent out. I now have officially no clue what it could be.
ugh i wish i would hear SOMETHING from a SUNY...completed in late august-ish and haven't heard anything from a single NY school...when is it time to panic about that? :(

I know SUNY Upstate, my gf's alma mater, is now scheduling March interviews so likely time to panic if you really want to go there. I can't comment about any of the other SUNYs. But, it does seems like many of us haven't heard a word. I'm not sure if they wait till the end of the cycle to send out rejections or they send them out on an on-going basis.

ugh i wish i would hear SOMETHING from a SUNY...completed in late august-ish and haven't heard anything from a single NY school...when is it time to panic about that? :(

Last edited:
I'm slowly getting to the point of wanting to assess the weaknesses in my application in case I have to reapply. I have a few interviews and am very grateful and hopeful but the spottiness of returns is making me suspect something in my app is hurting me. :confused:

Before I go full neurosis mode, I just want to see if completion lateness is the easy answer. I was complete early - mid August with LizzyM of 73, applying very broadly from CA albeit with plenty of reaches. So far, 3 II, 6 rejections out of 39 schools. For other people complete in August, what does your tally look like?

Complete late July to mid August applied to 39 schools 7rejections, 2 holds, 1 II

Soooo you took the MCAT without finishing ochem? Brave. I did fine in ochem and still needed biology to carry my BS.

Soooo you took the MCAT without finishing ochem? Brave. I did fine in ochem and still needed biology to carry my BS.

Got a 10 in BS, not amazing but hopefully sufficient.

Somehow during my practice tests I was able to guess correctly on most ochem passages. I guess the MCAT really tests concepts more than reactions so maybe not having my brain stuffed with ochem 2 reactions ironically helped haha

Complete early-mid august. applied to 25 schools, 6 rejections, no II

Heard back from 1 school last week... WL. Still waiting to hear back from all the other interviews. No new iis in several weeks. Beginning to panic.

I guess posting my question in here is prone to some serious selection bias. What I'd really like to know is if there are average joes/janes complete in August with a bunch of interviews at this point.

Edit: A poll thread would be best...but I'm too self conscious of coming across as neurotic to make it myself. Someone else make it :p

I'm slowly getting to the point of wanting to assess the weaknesses in my application in case I have to reapply. I have a few interviews and am very grateful and hopeful but the spottiness of returns is making me suspect something in my app is hurting me. :confused:

Before I go full neurosis mode, I just want to see if completion lateness is the easy answer. I was complete early - mid August with LizzyM of 73, applying very broadly from CA albeit with plenty of reaches. So far, 3 II, 6 rejections out of 39 schools. For other people complete in August, what does your tally look like?
Complete late July to mid August applied to 39 schools 7rejections, 2 holds, 1 II

Wow how did you guys manage to apply to 39 schools?! I was feeling tired after 15.

Wow how did you guys manage to apply to 39 schools?! I was feeling tired after 15.

It wasn't too bad. I did a few secondaries a day for two weeks while working fulltime and got used to the routine pretty quickly. The cost on the other hand...

@NucleusO I just re-read this post and your realistic optimism made me feel a lot better. Hope the cycle is going well for you!!!

I'm glad! At this point you've done all that you can and you should be proud of finishing your secondaries.

I'm still really anxious and I've only had one interview invite, three holds, and about ten rejections from out of state schools. Still need to hear back from 10 more schools. But I understand what you're going through and we need to keep each other sane. No sense in going crazy before medical school. Hahaha. Gotta keep the hope alive. It's still early. :rolleyes: There's so much movement before people get settled into their schools. I feel like a small pool of the same people get 10+ interviews at schools. Once they choose a school there will be more spaces that will be opened up.

My roommate from college applied to med school last year got verified on October 30th. When he sent in his secondaries he already got two rejections within the next week. Half of the schools he applied to sent fast rejections. He got his first interview invite in January and had his last interview in April. He's studying at UCSF this year. Yeah he was totally flipping out, reading through SDN 2 hours a day for 6 months, and was depressed for 4 months. He said in hindsight it was silly to spend so much time on this website reading about people's acceptances and what the schools are up to because it just became so counterproductive. Let's learn from his experience. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Complete in late July/early August. 2 II, 5 rejections, 1 small pool, 1 hold, silence from 20+ schools. LizzyM 68.

Complete mid-July to early August. 0 IIs (and I'm dying. No idea why I haven't had at least one. I have lists of EC's, research, abroad and local medical and service experience, etc.), 5 rejections (one was my IS school which was a huge surprise, a couple were far reaches), and silence from 18 other schools. Similar LizzyM. Just waiting, waiting, waiting. My MCAT was a fluke / uneven, so I know that's hurting me right now, but hopefully my other stats will shine through soon.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm calling it. Come January, IIs gonna come at us like:
200.gif

And I'm going to be like come at me bro. I can answer "Why I Want To Be A Doctor?" in 40 different languages. That's right! 40! which also happens to be my mcat score. Nah just kidding. ;).

Reactions: 9 users
I feel that being snubbed by an alma mater can hurt the most sometimes. It's like a close friend not inviting you to their party (I've probably dwelled too much on this.....)

*Phone rings with area code of my alma mater*

Alma mater: Hello, is this Copernicium?
Me: (expecting good news since they decided to call me)...Yes it is.
Alma mater: We are calling to tell you that....

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:
....have been placed on the waitlist for the entering class of 2015.

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

After hearing my position on the list, I went back to my hotel room and pretty much did this:
cryalot.jpg

Reactions: 22 users

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

After hearing my position on the list, I went back to my hotel room and pretty much did this:
cryalot.jpg
I feel your pain. Got a call from my alma mater asking for money.

200.gif

And I'm going to be like come at me bro. I can answer "Why I Want To Be A Doctor?" in 40 different languages. That's right! 40! which also happens to be my mcat score. Nah just kidding. ;).

Agreed! From an economical stand point, flights are significantly less expensive in January compared to end of Nov / Dec., so a little patience to save a couple hundred plus on airfare, I think I can handle that (although a few II's between now and January wouldn't hurt either!)

giphy.gif

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

cryalot.jpg
How cruel. At least mine sent me a letter letting me know about the </nolove3

Aaaand don't you have an acceptance? You're going to be a doctor so excuse me if I'm not crying along side (but I am sympathetic).

I just felt like sharing my feelings on that subject
Which is perfectly valid.
Even with an acceptance, it still stings to get waitlisted or put on hold at other schools, even if you would choose the school that accepted you over those in a heartbeat.
Though it does feel slightly good to be able to request that a school withdraw one's app from consideration after such notification.

Reactions: 2 users
200.gif

If MCAT has a gif application section you'd nail it. Well done!

Reactions: 1 users
I just felt like sharing my feelings on that subject
Which is why I'm sympathetic. I get that we all have top and bottom choices, and it sure sucks to go to a less preferred school, but an acceptance is an acceptance. So congrats. This time the grass is as green as toxic runoff on the other side :)

Let's be honest with each other. This is everyone's favorite thread. The day there are significantly less replies in this thread is the day we can start to panic. :D

Reactions: 5 users
For those that want a good laugh... turns out the person checking my mail at my old apartment wasn't sure if I applied to medical school or dental school. The person saw a letter from Delta Dental (my reimbursement check for my recent teeth cleaning) and mistook it for a letter from a school I applied to. Honest mistake, but not the best use of two hours.

Also, I came home to an e-mail from SUNY Upstate: "Your application to the College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. At this time, we would like to inform you that your application has been placed on pre-interview HOLD." Not thrilled with that decision obviously, but I've now finally heard from a school!

Reactions: 1 users

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

cryalot.jpg
Im sorry for your turmoil... But I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation :)

Reactions: 11 users
How I feel when schools send rejection letter after rejection letter while I'm panicking about my medical career's fate...

airlane-slap-o.gif

airplane-slap-o.gif

I know SUNY Upstate, my gf's alma mater, is now scheduling March interviews so likely time to panic if you really want to go there. I can't comment about any of the other SUNYs. But, it does seems like many of us haven't heard a word. I'm not sure if they wait till the end of the cycle to send out rejections or they send them out on an on-going basis.
actualllyyyy i didn't apply there hahaha too cold. i actually only applied to a couple SUNYs closer to home. its frustrating because i already have IIs from private schools not very close to home but i would love to be considered in NY