2015-2016 APPIC Internship Cycle Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched last year and applied to 20 or 21 sites. I don't remember exactly, but my last two apps were submitted to sites that opened up in late December and were good fits in desirable locations. 15-20 seems to be about average. Of the people I know that applied to ~25 sites, it seemed like their materials started to take a hit toward the end.

Hang in there and enjoy this time! WORK ON YOUR DISSERTATION!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched last year and applied to18. 3 of which my advisor wanted me to apply to (i.e., the site they went to internship). I agree with @boomshakalaka that the average was 15-20.

Hi, I was wondering if it is risky to apply to an internship that is APA accredited on contingency. Based on the APA's description (https://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/coa/decoding.aspx) it seems like this would mean the program is essentially considered to be accredited. However, I'm not sure if there are potential risks I am not aware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering if it is risky to apply to an internship that is APA accredited on contingency. Based on the APA's description (https://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/coa/decoding.aspx) it seems like this would mean the program is essentially considered to be accredited. However, I'm not sure if there are potential risks I am not aware of.
I was on the fence about a site that was also on contingency. I consulted with my DCT and he discouraged me from applying to that site unless I felt there weren't any other good options. He didn't explain the potential risks, but I figured it would be safer to avoid a site on contingency.

random question?

If you'’re applying for research focused sites, should you email potential research mentors ahead of time? Kind of like during graduate school apps? I had a couple of sites where I listed potential mentors in the cover letter but I've heard mixed things about whether more personalized contact is welcomed/annoying/ just not done. Thanks!

random question?

If you'’re applying for research focused sites, should you email potential research mentors ahead of time? Kind of like during graduate school apps? I had a couple of sites where I listed potential mentors in the cover letter but I've heard mixed things about whether more personalized contact is welcomed/annoying/ just not done. Thanks!

I applied and interviewed at a few research sites. And matched to one. I did not contact research mentors ahead of time. I did, like you, make it clear who I was interested in working with in my cover letter. That's just what I did -- I'm sure others may have approached it differently.

Reactions: 1 users
When you get emails from BOPs to complete an application at usajobs.gov what is the chance from this point that you will get an interview? They say they need you to be placed in the most qualified category, and I am wondering what the category placement is based on?

Thanks!

When you get emails from BOPs to complete an application at usajobs.gov what is the chance from this point that you will get an interview? They say they need you to be placed in the most qualified category, and I am wondering what the category placement is based on?

Thanks!

From what I could tell last year, if you received an "invite" to complete the USAjobs application you were getting an interview. Don't waste energy fretting over the category placement, the USAjobs process is more of a formality rather than another chance for you to be screened out (barring any felonies or other recent "transgressions"). There were some formatting issues with the system last year as well, so if your completed app comes out weird it is most likely weird for everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
random question?

I did, but I don't think it really made any difference in the end. I got some nice responses from people but it didn't seem to relate to getting interviews or not. There was someone I did have a wonderful correspondance with and, although I did get an interview at their site, I didn't match there.

Thanks!

In my experience, I got an interview at every BOP site that had me fill out the usajobs supplemental application. However, I have heard from some interns in my cohort that a few people did not get an interview after doing so because they just flat out failed to fill out the supplemental application or left large portions blank or vague. You have to have the knowledge, skills, and abilities required in the job (listed right in the usajobs application). Make sure you address these points when you fill out the application. You do need to treat it seriously and fill it out completely and thoughtfully. If you do this your interview is all but guaranteed.

Was looking at the fee schedule for the process, since I'm getting up there in $$$. Is there a cap at 30 applications? That's what the fee schedule goes up to.

I won't come close to that, but never really thought of a cap for applications.

Was looking at the fee schedule for the process, since I'm getting up there in $$$. Is there a cap at 30 applications? That's what the fee schedule goes up to.

I won't come close to that, but never really thought of a cap for applications.

I also won't come close to 30, but I heard that if you do get to that point, the application numbers expand and allow you to apply to more sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help!

I am about to throw up! One of the VA sites I just applied to requested a de-id assessment sample. No big deal, and I am very conservative in how I de-id reports. However, I had to go back to the original and change some formatting for this specific submission. Well I randomly reviewed the application just now and realized that I forgot to de-id one specific date that I had originally de-id. Long story short, the individual had been released from jail and I had forgot to take out the date they were released (i.e., month and year is now visible, instead of just year or an X), and the person's actual age is visible (not date of birth). This is all because I forgot to delete one sentence. I'm have these catastrophic thoughts about being reported and not able to get an internship. What do I do ?!

Help!

I am about to throw up! One of the VA sites I just applied to requested a de-id assessment sample. No big deal, and I am very conservative in how I de-id reports. However, I had to go back to the original and change some formatting for this specific submission. Well I randomly reviewed the application just now and realized that I forgot to de-id one specific date that I had originally de-id. Long story short, the individual had been released from jail and I had forgot to take out the date they were released (i.e., month and year is now visible, instead of just year or an X), and the person's actual age is visible (not date of birth). This is all because I forgot to delete one sentence. I'm have these catastrophic thoughts about being reported and not able to get an internship. What do I do ?!

Just one random person's opinion - not a huge deal. Reports can be long and things get missed. Thankfully it's not something more revealing like a name or social security number. Also, it's my impression that sites typically skim these documents. They may not even notice it. I highly doubt this is anything that would get you reported.

Just one random person's opinion - not a huge deal. Reports can be long and things get missed. Thankfully it's not something more revealing like a name or social security number. Also, it's my impression that sites typically skim these documents. They may not even notice it. I highly doubt this is anything that would get you reported.

Thank you, my heart can *begin* to stop racing.

Thank you, my heart can *begin* to stop racing.
The same thing just happened to me and I am freaking out! I just skimmed my deidentified assessment report and the LAST PAGE has the name of the site that I conducted my assessment at. I am not sure if this is a big deal or not, but I am not sure what to do!

The same thing just happened to me and I am freaking out! I just skimmed my deidentified assessment report and the LAST PAGE has the name of the site that I conducted my assessment at. I am not sure if this is a big deal or not, but I am not sure what to do!

I wouldn't worry about that. The places you applied have access to your CV- they'll most likely know (or be able to figure out) where the report came from, even if you didn't include that information.

In the future, it may be helpful to include a statement like, "All dates and names of people/places have been changed to maintain confidentiality," or something similar (Though that only works if you use pseudonyms, it will be obvious if you use "XXXX" for everything except for one name on one occasion.). Also, I tend to use the "find/replace" button to search for identifying info, in addition to reading through the report.

I wouldn't worry about that. The places you applied have access to your CV- they'll most likely know (or be able to figure out) where the report came from, even if you didn't include that information.

In the future, it may be helpful to include a statement like, "All dates and names of people/places have been changed to maintain confidentiality," or something similar (Though that only works if you use pseudonyms, it will be obvious if you use "XXXX" for everything except for one name on one occasion.). Also, I tend to use the "find/replace" button to search for identifying info, in addition to reading through the report.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your response!

When completing the usajobs application online for BOP jobs, I got through it to a place that asks for a "course syllabus" to be uploaded, but I am not sure what they are looking for. The job posting does not mention anything about a syllabus...Any help? Thanks!

Just wanted people to be aware of this since it should save people some $$$:

Dear Students Applying for Internship,

The Society for a Science of Clinical Psychology is excited to announce the roll out of a new resource for our student members. One of our Campus Representatives, Sarah Victor, proposed the idea of an Internship Hotel Match-Up and we are thrilled to provide what is sure to be an excellent resource for our student members!
The SSCP Internship Hotel Match-Up will allow interested students to complete a request for each date and location for which they would like to share a hotel. Students can then find other students with requests for the same date and location and contact them in order to make hotel arrangements.
If you are interested in participating in the SSCP Internship Hotel Match-Up, please complete a SEPARATE FORM for each interview date and location. The form can be accessed here: http://tinyurl.com/2015sscphotelsignup. Please note that, by filling out the form, you are providing personally identifiable information (name, email, etc.) that will be available to others who also complete the form, and SSCP is unable to verify participants’ identities.
While we expect that everyone who fills out the link is who they say they are, you are coordinating rooming arrangements with someone you (probably) don't know, so we strongly encourage you to vet the people you are considering staying with and be cautious when coordinating room shares. This might mean asking for an institutional email address (if the person did not provide one), speaking to the person on the phone or Skype before meeting in person, or even asking for a quick reference email from a supervisor or colleague. You are in no way obligated to room with someone who makes you uncomfortable in any way or with whom you do not feel safe. If you have questions about this, please contact Sarah ([email protected]).
Once you complete your information, you will be able to access the document with other student's requests and information (please note this may take up to 24 hours). You can then contact other students who are requesting the same date(s) and location(s) to coordinate your hotel plans! Please look for an email with additional instructions once you have completed the form.
Feel free to share this resource with other students who are applying for internship and/or to send it to students in your program. We will be sending it out on several other listservs as well, to make this resource as useful as possible for everyone.
Best,
Rosanna Breaux and Andrea Niles
SSCP Student Representatives

Sarah Victor
SSCP Campus Representative

How has everyone been coping with the interview notification waiting game? I applied to all university counseling centers and in looking at last year's internship interview thread, it looks like most UCCs notified in December. Waiting has been difficult and definitely anxiety-provoking. Is anyone else feeling similarly?

If you were to miss the deadline for a site, but were still able to submit an application because the site didn't close on appic, would you still apply? Assuming money were no object. I'm trying to consider the chances that the application would be read, rather than automatically discarded by the internship training committee, but I really have no idea. Even if there was a 5% chance, I think I would do it!

How has everyone been coping with the interview notification waiting game? I applied to all university counseling centers and in looking at last year's internship interview thread, it looks like most UCCs notified in December. Waiting has been difficult and definitely anxiety-provoking. Is anyone else feeling similarly?

I'm in and out of nervousness. I've already gotten two rejections. What is really hard is getting my energy back. I've put out so much in the past few months that now, I've very sluggy for over a week now. I need a vacation, and to make my proposal edits recommended by my committee. ugh. I've been trying to get back into self-care working out, catching up on homework, and I started a new knitting project that is a good outlet for my anxiety. So yes, I am feeling it but trying to keep swimming. Good luck to you!

I'm in and out of nervousness. I've already gotten two rejections. What is really hard is getting my energy back. I've put out so much in the past few months that now, I've very sluggy for over a week now. I need a vacation, and to make my proposal edits recommended by my committee. ugh. I've been trying to get back into self-care working out, catching up on homework, and I started a new knitting project that is a good outlet for my anxiety. So yes, I am feeling it but trying to keep swimming. Good luck to you!

I'm also having a hard time waiting. I know it's early days and I haven't heard anything from anyone yet. Only one of my sites seems to have sent invites to others and it is a low priority/ reach site for me. I know I need this time to recharge and self-care as I've been physically and emotionally pushed to my limits this year (I also need to catch up on the diss, etc) but I just can't focus except to 1) check email 2) check spam 3) check VM 4) check SDN and repeat.... ad nauseum.

I don't want to be this way, I just have such a hard time detaching. I'm afraid of rejections but also maybe afraid of invites (as that means it's real and action is required!).

If you were to miss the deadline for a site, but were still able to submit an application because the site didn't close on appic, would you still apply? Assuming money were no object. I'm trying to consider the chances that the application would be read, rather than automatically discarded by the internship training committee, but I really have no idea. Even if there was a 5% chance, I think I would do it!
If money was no object and I could spare the time/energy/ effort, I guess I would take the chance (unless I felt like I had already applied to more than enough sites or something) but I would definitely keep my expectations low. I think this is something that you can only decide for yourself as everyone's situation and objectives are slightly different.

I'm also having a hard time waiting. I know it's early days and I haven't heard anything from anyone yet. Only one of my sites seems to have sent invites to others and it is a low priority/ reach site for me. I know I need this time to recharge and self-care as I've been physically and emotionally pushed to my limits this year (I also need to catch up on the diss, etc) but I just can't focus except to 1) check email 2) check spam 3) check VM 4) check SDN and repeat.... ad nauseum.

I don't want to be this way, I just have such a hard time detaching. I'm afraid of rejections but also maybe afraid of invites (as that means it's real and action is required!).

Well you're not alone. Clearly, I'm checking as well. My nerves were better on the weekend since I knew I was less likely to receive news. Noticing my burnout and nerves, I'm giving myself a reprieve. I happen to have some time open up today, I was going to work on the diss but have decided that can wait. I need a day off. I've gotten to work out and cross some easy stuff off my chores list. It feels good bc I have been neglecting to do both. ugh. I encourage you to insert some self-care into your app-nervous-checking cycle. S0mething will happen, and you will survive. I am lucky to have interns at my site (non-APA) who are very encouraging. They have shared their experience and how much it affected them emotionally. So it may be helpful to find some colleagues who have gone through this mess to give you a pep talk every now and then. I bet there are others like us out there.

You may think it odd but I find this song strangely inspiration. To me it's saying, good for you for trying!

I wanted to share that I'm helping review internship applications this year and fully seeing this process from the other side for the first time. What I've learned is that it really is subjective in so many ways. It is essentially our perception of your fit with the training we provide. I've also seen for myself that when it comes down to the final interview invitation decisions, it really is just splitting hairs. There are a good number we'd be happy to interview but we don't have room, so we have to decide somehow. People always told me that when I was applying, but I'm not sure I 100% believed it until I saw it for myself. Just because you don't get an interview at a site doesn't mean that you aren't qualified.

Reactions: 5 users

I, too, drove myself bananas with frantically checking email last year. It really helped me to set specific times I would check my email (every 2 or 3 hours versus the every 10 minutes I was doing). It helped me to know I would eventually get to check, and in a way, felt like I'd given myself permission to peace out from the computer. Also, I can't stress enough that few notifications will come before Thanksgiving, or even before December. It can be misleading when you start to see the invite list piling up on SDN and you start to think most sites should be contacting you any minute now. I don't really know how to suggest making peace with the fact you will hear from the majority of your sites in early December, because I didn't get to do that last year. A big part of that was that I didn't have anyone who was very upfront and insistent with me that it'd be an unreasonably long wait and that that was normal. I'm trying to spread that message loud and clear this year to hopefully help out some folks who are getting too frenetic from unrealistic expectations. It's not your fault. You just have a completely different understanding of it once you're on the other side of the process. It does get better! It just sucks for quite a while. :nod:

I wanted to share that I'm helping review internship applications this year and seeing this process from the other side for the first time. What I've learned is that it really is subjective in so many ways. It is essentially our perception of your fit with the training we provide. I've also seen for myself that when it comes down to the final interview invitation decisions, it really is just splitting hairs. There are many we'd be happy to interview but we don't have room, so we have to decide somehow. People always told me that when I was applying, but I'm not sure I 100% believed it until I saw it for myself. Just because you don't get an interview at a site doesn't mean that you aren't qualified.
Same here! It's good for folks to recognize that the application you submit is over 50 pages long when you add up the AAPI, all the materials, references, CV, essays, etc. I never thought about that before. For my site, we're each taking on about 20 applications, and when you multiply that by 50, that means we've each got about 1000 pages to review on top of our daily responsibilities at the site. It never truly occurred to me how lofty of a process selecting interview applicants would be. I got jaded and thought sites were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of reaching out to me. Remember - they're working on it slowly but surely!

I wanted to share that I'm helping review internship applications this year and fully seeing this process from the other side for the first time. What I've learned is that it really is subjective in so many ways. It is essentially our perception of your fit with the training we provide. I've also seen for myself that when it comes down to the final interview invitation decisions, it really is just splitting hairs. There are a good number we'd be happy to interview but we don't have room, so we have to decide somehow. People always told me that when I was applying, but I'm not sure I 100% believed it until I saw it for myself. Just because you don't get an interview at a site doesn't mean that you aren't qualified.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what criteria is generally used to split hairs? Hour numbers?

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what criteria is generally used to split hairs? Hour numbers?

Prior experience in our setting and providing the specialized treatments we use seemed to be a big factor.

no problem, just wanted to make sure I was in the right "ballpark". Thx!

I agree with heartdignan and carasusana. It's different seeing it from the other side. A few things I noted:

1. The application is very long especially with the new LOR standardized format. -- they skim for key words and to key areas they are interested in, like your CV.

2. Do you have a fit to the program/track your are applying to. Did you do similar practicums to the rotations they offer.

3. Do you meet the minimum number of hours they asked (you would be surprised) -- and are your hours with the population that you would be working with (child sites = the majority of your hours with children)

4. Pubs and presentations -- how many and how many first authored?

5. Dissertation - topic and where are you in the process

Last edited:

It is SO important for candidates to understand this, even if it is hard to accept. And especially this: "There are a good number we'd be happy to interview but we don't have room, so we have to decide somehow." And the "somehow" will also vary site to site. As others have commented--elements like dissertation progress (which sometimes is NOT under a student's control) or experience with a specific model of treatment (which may not have been available to you) become determining factors and sites know that they are missing excellent candidates because there are practical limits on how many candidates can or should be interviewed. Not being invited for an interview is painful but it is not a rejection of you as a person. Not to be irreverent, but it is something of a "sorting hat" experience and you just have to go through it to the other side.

Here's what I am doing to cope -- I finally dove into Game of Thrones. Between my current workload, in my spare time, I try to exercise 4x a week (to alleviate a little guilt), but then I sit my ass on the couch and watch this show. I am proud (read: ashamed) to say that as of today I am ½ way through season 5.

Any ideas about what I should binge watch next? I'd love some suggestions! Thank you :)

Here's what I am doing to cope -- I finally dove into Game of Thrones. Between my current workload, in my spare time, I try to exercise 4x a week (to alleviate a little guilt), but then I sit my ass on the couch and watch this show. I am proud (read: ashamed) to say that as of today I am ½ way through season 5.

Any ideas about what I should binge watch next? I'd love some suggestions! Thank you :)

I'm big on re-watching fave shows. Currenlty watching House, I'd recommend Parks and rec, as well as Aziz Ansari's new show on netflix. Try to give yourself a break from guilt/worry if you can. :) Good luck to you!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got through Aziz's show last week. Really enjoyed it! And I agree, that you can never go wrong with Parks and Recreation. :)

What happens when a site you applied to no longer offers an intern position? A friend of mine applied to the Chicago Area Christian Training Consortium at the Cornerstone Counseling Center of Chicago and in the latest match news email it says they are no longer offering an internship position.

As far as I've ever heard, they're out the money because APPIC makes it VERY clear that they won't offer refunds. It's unfortunate cause it stings doubly if someone was trying to apply to another site to fill the spot before their cost per application increases at 15.