2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II at Colorado after 7+ weeks of silence from all my remaining schools. I guess interviews are still trickling out? I'm deciding whether to accept or decline, since I'm lucky enough to have options right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II at Colorado after 7+ weeks of silence from all my remaining schools. I guess interviews are still trickling out? I'm deciding whether to accept or decline, since I'm lucky enough to have options right now.
I think the bottom line is in your heart of hearts would you rather attend Colorado over your current options? Or are they fairly even (maybe even not as much)? I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty attending an interview should they be my top choice but if they weren't well...there are many a desperate applicant out there just waiting for a chance. I recently made the same choice...different schools though. I ended up turning down Loyola bc I already had options i felt were at least of equal caliber. Loyola wasn't my dream school but it's someone's so i had to pass on that. Is Colorado your dream school?

Reactions: 1 user
How much do you love the school--or think that you might?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to feel foolish. I spent two and a half years doing my post bacc, got a 4.0....studied my butt off for the MCAT, nailed it...shadowed doctors, got good letters of rec, and worked the whole time. And I still have no interview invites. I don't think it's a misplaced sense of entitlement that made me think I had a chance of getting in, but maybe I was delusional. Sorry to be a downer, but man, this process has got me down.

I'm starting to feel foolish. I spent two and a half years doing my post bacc, got a 4.0....studied my butt off for the MCAT, nailed it...shadowed doctors, got good letters of rec, and worked the whole time. And I still have no interview invites. I don't think it's a misplaced sense of entitlement that made me think I had a chance of getting in, but maybe I was delusional. Sorry to be a downer, but man, this process has got me down.
Oh i'd say we've all been down at some point in this process and there is no shame or apologies needed for that. What do you think the weakness is in your application? If there is one now is the time to fix it just in case you need to reapply. Sometimes, even though you've checked all the usual boxes it's about making yourself stand out. Or maybe you didn't apply broadly enough. But if you look around SDN you'll find many a poster from last cycle that interviewed in the spring and are matriculating this year so it's not over yet.

Reactions: 5 users
Ditto what @Overanxious said.
And you're not alone. I did the same and also have no IIs so far. The cycle's not over yet though.
And yes, it sucks.

It is humiliating. There is lots of talk about "goodness of fit," but this talk makes me think of the "talent" portion of the Miss America debacle. Who looks most like "your ideal" is ogled most appreciatively, and the rest of us "more than pretty" are relegated to the chorus, hopefuls who have not scored quite high enough on a scorecard the dimensions of which are largely undefined and generally impossible to divine.

Yeah, we may not get the crown and the bouquet and the walk of triumph, but. . . .we know that we are worthy and we know that, given the opportunity, we will demonstrate the virtues that seem to be so hard to perceive. How do you really judge someone based on a few numbers, a few paragraphs, a few comments from a relative stranger? It cannot be easy for those trying to make such a determination, to winnow thousands of applications. My empathy does flag from time to time, though.

It seems that we can cling to hope for a while longer, though. Ultimately, the Chosen Beauty Queen is permitted to wear only a single crown, not a stack of them. All us girls get prettier as closing time approaches. Smile bravely, hueso. Don't stay down--no matter how discouraging the present appears. You know who you are.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh i'd say we've all been down at some point in this process and there is no shame or apologies needed for that. What do you think the weakness is in your application? If there is one now is the time to fix it just in case you need to reapply. Sometimes, even though you've checked all the usual boxes it's about making yourself stand out. Or maybe you didn't apply broadly enough. But if you look around SDN you'll find many a poster from last cycle that interviewed in the spring and are matriculating this year so it's not over yet.

Thanks, Overanxious. Good points all, and encouraging words to finish up.

It is humiliating. There is lots of talk about "goodness of fit," but this talk makes me think of the "talent" portion of the Miss America debacle. Who looks most like "your ideal" is ogled most appreciatively, and the rest of us "more than pretty" are relegated to the chorus, hopefuls who have not scored quite high enough on a scorecard the dimensions of which are largely undefined and generally impossible to divine.

Yeah, we may not get the crown and the bouquet and the walk of triumph, but. . . .we know that we are worthy and we know that, given the opportunity, we will demonstrate the virtues that seem to be so hard to perceive. How do you really judge someone based on a few numbers, a few paragraphs, a few comments from a relative stranger? It cannot be easy for those trying to make such a determination, to winnow thousands of applications. My empathy does flag from time to time, though.

It seems that we can cling to hope for a while longer, though. Ultimately, the Chosen Beauty Queen is permitted to wear only a single crown, not a stack of them. All us girls get prettier as closing time approaches. Smile bravely, hueso. Don't stay down--no matter how discouraging the present appears. You know who you are.

You're so sweet! And the pageant queen metaphor made me grin, so thanks for that.

I didn't get to the meat of the complaint, but I'd bet that every one of us who make it to the end of this particular marathon will see our name listed on a similar document at some point in our career.

This scares the crap out of me... I really hope no one here ends up at a place like this. It's so easy for this **** to happen in medicine.[/QUOTE]

Yikes. Between this guy and the Yale cardiology chief... Absolute power corrupts absolutely?

On a completely separate note -- now that I've been hanging around these halls for a few months, I've figured out that the forum is good for (at least) two things: (1) moral support, of course, and (2) satisfying our fantasies of obtaining actual DATA. Trying to read tea leaves from complete-to-II dates here and stats there, I have a fantasy of putting together some gigantic survey of all the data we could possibly obtain about applications (stats, residence, age, ecs and how we categorize them, foreign language proficiency, number of characters in the personal statement, courses taken, the kitchen sink...) along with response data from the schools, and run some mad/massive multi-variate regression. The LizzyM score on steroids (with tremendous respect to LizzyM!) -- you could even predict your II dates! If only...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's a pretty hefty read but here are a few highlights...though not the main event

1.Bahnson struck a nurse in the face with a pair of surgical gloves.
The nurse’s employment was terminated by Ohio State shortly thereafter.

2. Bahnson physically assaulted a resident by grabbing his arm and swinging him
around in anger. Bahnson then asked the resident “Who’s your Daddy?” while physically
restraining the resident.

3. Bahnson was in a patient room with patients and physicians of eastern Indian
descent and said "There is a toxic level of Indians in this room."

4. Bahnson told two female urology residents to take birth
control so they do not become pregnant. One of these female residents was told by Bahnson to
"come to my office and take birth control, or be fired."

I sure as hell hope we don't find ourselves on similar documents but if i do you can be sure it will read more like
1. Dr. X struck Overanxious in the face with a pair of surgical gloves.
Overanxious then proceeded to strike Dr. X with said surgical gloves.
Overanxious's employment was terminated by Ohio State shortly thereafter
following which assault charges and lawsuit were filled by Overanxious against Dr. X and Ohio State

And yeah...I saw the Yale debacle as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the article about?? My phone won't let me open it

Edit: just saw the above post! What's the Yale debacle?

Yikes. As someone planning to pop out babies at random points throughout this process...yeah let me not end up at a program like that...

Reactions: 4 users
I assumed it was a malpractice thing, teaches me to not do the readings ;-)

There was a hopkins thing recently about an OB GYN guy that was grossly inappropriate with his patients. Committed suicide shortly after.

There was a hopkins thing recently about an OB GYN guy that was grossly inappropriate with his patients. Committed suicide shortly after.
This...http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-johns-hopkins-190m-lawyers-article-1.1874623

It is a very tragic story but a story of doctor misconduct that sadly happens. I feel this is more a reflection of the doctor and not the institution. As you can see they didn't stand behind him and as soon as they found out they took appropriate action. If true in totality, Ohio merely slapped the wrists of Bahnson and his colleagues involved without severe befitting consequences and they themselves tried to manhandle those affected to prevent this from coming to light and affecting their reputation. It thus becomes a reflection of their institution and not just the doctors involved. Even Yale must be held accountable for their part in a lack of severe initial consequences but at least they acknowledged the misconduct and have some individuals in power fighting to make it right.

Sorry - changing subjects but as it gets icy cold, I wanted to share that my applications at over 20 schools must also be living in a frozen state. I don't like the movie at all, but the Let It Go song comes to mind... It's been pretty quite on here as well regarding IIs. Let's hope things heat up!! #fiveweekfreeze

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry - changing subjects but as it gets icy cold, I wanted to share that my applications at over 20 schools must also be living in a frozen state. I don't like the movie at all, but the Let It Go song comes to mind... It's been pretty quite on here as well regarding IIs. Let's hope things heat up!! #fiveweekfreeze

I'm still waiting on like 32. Nothing this week either tbh. Got rejected from one of the case programs last/this week, but there's still the other one. I guess I got rejected from Penn since the portal said they're not offering me an interview at this point, which seems more like a rejection than a hold.

Still nothing from the places I considered good matches: evms, vcu, rosalind franklin, and loyola, for instance.

I'm still waiting on like 32. Nothing this week either tbh. Got rejected from one of the case programs last/this week, but there's still the other one. I guess I got rejected from Penn since the portal said they're not offering me an interview at this point, which seems more like a rejection than a hold.

Still nothing from the places I considered good matches: evms, vcu, rosalind franklin, and loyola, for instance.
I am sorry, but in the same boat. (Hoping it is not the Titanic!!) Friends keep saying "It will pick up again in January." Gosh, it is hard to wait!

I am sorry, but in the same boat. (Hoping it is not the Titanic!!) Friends keep saying "It will pick up again in January." Gosh, it is hard to wait!
Ya, I have to lay down $2k for the DO school, 1k Dec 1k Jan. Hoping for UCR to love me soon!

Ya, I have to lay down $2k for the DO school, 1k Dec 1k Jan. Hoping for UCR to love me soon!

Is this to keep the acceptance spot? If so probably so they can avoid people holding spots that don't really want it, but that sucks if it's your backup plan :(

It is what it is. I'm excited to be taking most of next week off and recharging a bit.

I've been following this threat as a lurker for a while. Reading the comments here is a profoundly warming experience. There is a sincerity and compassion here that is so wonderful to see. For those waiting on II's, hang in there! This is such a maddening, wrenching process! Keep up with your hobbies, loved ones, and friends and don't let doubt ruin a single day. My heart goes out to everyone.

I know this silence can be gnawing and some stranger's posts on the internet are not much consolation, but I wanted to let everyone know that I send you guys my love and support!

Reactions: 7 users
As each day goes by, I feel more and more like I'm on the Titanic. I am really hoping for at least one med school admit by the end of the year but with no IIs to date it is seeming less and less likely that will happen.

So far only heard from one school (pre-interview hold) and from a master program I applied to as a backup (that I just did a phone interview for).

I still have three D.O. secondaries in my possession that I'll turn around this weekend (but I've been complete at most other places for several weeks).

As each day goes by, I feel more and more like I'm on the Titanic. I am really hoping for at least one med school admit by the end of the year but with no IIs to date it is seeming less and less likely that will happen.

So far only heard from one school (pre-interview hold) and from a master program I applied to as a backup (that I just did a phone interview for).

I still have three D.O. secondaries in my possession that I'll turn around this weekend (but I've been complete at most other places for several weeks).
Try not to distress yet. Being complete for a few weeks isn't very long in the grand scheme of things. A lot of medical schools take upwards of 1-2 months to review secondaries depending on the time of year and their current backlog. Keep your chin up!

Thanks! I'm not as worried about getting in as I am about scheduling interview come Feb. I'll have class in the evenings Mon, Wed and Thurs and I'll likely be back in CA, but almost all the schools I applied to are on the east coast (and it's really easy for me to get to them while I'm still here on the east coast). One acceptance (especially to one of my top choices), will make the first few months of next year very relaxed.

Also, very few of the schools I applied to need o-chem II lab, which I'd rather not take. If I hear back from those two or three schools that require it soon, I'll be thrilled! Not having to take it will save me about a thousand bucks and leave me free on Thursdays.

Try not to distress yet. Being complete for a few weeks isn't very long in the grand scheme of things. A lot of medical schools take upwards of 1-2 months to review secondaries depending on the time of year and their current backlog. Keep your chin up!

Honestly, if that was so critical to you, then you really should have applied earlier.

Unfortunately I couldn't. I was not able to get a seat for a MCAT earlier than I did. I tried pretty hard for a July date in NY. My mom being critically ill and having to suddenly move east from CA back east did not help the situation either. Especially, since if I was still in CA, I'd be have taken a July MCAT and be taking most of those classes now (as originally planned) and not in the spring.

Honestly, if that was so critical to you, then you really should have applied earlier.

Last edited:

Relax! What good help is saying this? First I'm reading you tearing apart someone's friggin grammar on the Hofstra thread, now this? Lets keep it positive. We're here to support each other, especially on this thread.

Reactions: 7 users
Relax! What good help is saying this? First I'm reading you tearing apart someone's friggin grammar on the Hofstra thread, now this? Lets keep it positive. We're here to support each other, especially on this thread.

God if you think that was tearing someone apart, you really need to stay away from surgeons. That teeny lesson regarding not using cool sounding big words that you don't know the meaning to is a pretty important one in a process where you have to prove yourself by talking about things and sounding not stupid in the process. And in general is a good idea for oral and written communication.

Regarding my post here... The wisdom on SDN and especially on the non-trad board is to make sure house is in order when applying. It sounds like the poster has had a rough year, but the MCAT thing wasn't really a surprise re: timing. Better to delay things than to rush an app cycle. Obviously the posters chance's aren't dead in the water and obviously I wish them the best, but the question of 'why' is an important one.

God if you think that was tearing someone apart, you really need to stay away from surgeons.

There are enough mean surgeons in the world. :) Kindness and positivity are so much more effective.

Thanks to the above poster (RachieRach). It's alright, I realize ridethecliche had no context for my whole situation, but I submitted by application in June with the intent to sit for a Jul MCAT and be complete shortly thereafter. Obviously, when my mom became ill, I gave up my MCAT seat in CA and took the first one I could find on the east coast.

I would have held off on this cycle, except my app was already submitted and quite a few of the schools high on my list won't be accepting this version of the MCAT next cycle so I'd have to take the new MCAT for which I'm missing several pre-reqs. Given I don't care about MD or DO or location all that much, I figured I'd gamble with this cycle.

I just wish that schools that are going to reject me anyway, do say as quickly as possible since my pre-reqs may be adjust accordingly.

God if you think that was tearing someone apart, you really need to stay away from surgeons. That teeny lesson regarding not using cool sounding big words that you don't know the meaning to is a pretty important one in a process where you have to prove yourself by talking about things and sounding not stupid in the process. And in general is a good idea for oral and written communication.

Thanks to the above poster (RachieRach). It's alright, I realize ridethecliche had no context for my whole situation, but I submitted by application in June with the intent to sit for a Jul MCAT and be complete shortly thereafter. Obviously, when my mom became ill, I gave up my MCAT seat in CA and took the first one I could find on the east coast.

I would have held off on this cycle, except my app was already submitted and quite a few of the schools high on my list won't be accepting this version of the MCAT next cycle so I'd have to take the new MCAT for which I'm missing several pre-reqs. Given I don't care about MD or DO or location all that much, I figured I'd gamble with this cycle.

I just wish that schools that are going to reject me anyway, do say as quickly as possible since my pre-reqs may be adjust accordingly.

Wishing you the best!

And personally, I think it's stupid that schools aren't taking the 'old' mcat next cycle. It's supposed to be valid for atleast 2-3 years. Mine expires at the end of this cycle, so I know how you feel about that part.

Wishing you the best!

And personally, I think it's stupid that schools aren't taking the 'old' mcat next cycle. It's supposed to be valid for atleast 2-3 years. Mine expires at the end of this cycle, so I know how you feel about that part.
Completely agree about the MCAT :(

Unfortunately I couldn't. I was not able to get a seat for a MCAT earlier than I did. I tried pretty hard for a July date in NY. My mom being critically ill and having to suddenly move east from CA back east did not help the situation either. Especially, since if I was still in CA, I'd be have taken a July MCAT and be taking most of those classes now (as originally planned) and not in the spring.
No point looking backward, is there? So sorry to hear about all your hardships and obstacles. This will be only a small comfort, but these barriers will make your final triumph even more gratifying. Like me, you seem to be one of the agonizers, and I don't blame you a bit. It is so hard to face so many unknowns, @mspeedwagon, and to feel so helpless. (This is the voice of experience.) I am rooting for you. Please tell us when your value is recognized and those IIs (however inconveniently timed) come rolling in. Hang on. With faith.

Thank you. I'd say I'm less agonizing that trying to be logical about the whole process, but there are too many unknowns to complete the picture which is messing with my very rational mind. Without the real prospect of starting medical school in the fall, I don't want to quit my job. But, in order to take the remaining pre-reqs I'm forced to. Also, the only way to take the 3 labs I need (G-Chem II lab and O-Chem I and II labs) is at UC Berkeley Extension since they are offered simultaneously. That leads to the issue of being in CA in the spring when (almost) all the schools I applied to are on the east coast. Additionally, only a few need O-Chem II lab (many just need 8 credits of o-chem + lab). And, of course, I have no idea how understanding my professors will be about missing labs to go to interviews.

My original plan was outlined perfectly but, in the words of Steinbeck, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." Like many of you, I have my fingers crossed and am asking Santa for some IIs this Christmas season :).

Good luck to all still waiting!

No point looking backward, is there? So sorry to hear about all your hardships and obstacles. This will be only a small comfort, but these barriers will make your final triumph even more gratifying. Like me, you seem to be one of the agonizers, and I don't blame you a bit. It is so hard to face so many unknowns, @mspeedwagon, and to feel so helpless. (This is the voice of experience.) I am rooting for you. Please tell us when your value is recognized and those IIs (however inconveniently timed) come rolling in. Hang on. With faith.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'd say I'm less agonizing that trying to be logical about the whole process, but there are too many unknowns to complete the picture which is messing with my very rational mind. Without the real prospect of starting medical school in the fall, I don't want to quit my job. But, in order to take the remaining pre-reqs I'm forced to. Also, the only way to take the 3 labs I need (G-Chem II lab and O-Chem I and II labs) is at UC Berkeley Extension since they are offered simultaneously. That leads to the issue of being in CA in the spring when (almost) all the schools I applied to are on the east coast. Additionally, only a few need O-Chem II lab (many just need 8 credits of o-chem + lab). And, of course, I have no idea how understanding my professors will be about missing labs to go to interviews.

My original plan was outlined perfectly but, in the words of Steinbeck, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." Like many of you, I have my fingers crossed and am asking Santa for some IIs this Christmas season :).

Good luck to all still waiting!

I only had one interview to attend but my professor for O-Chem lab was quite understanding and worked with me on it.

My original plan was outlined perfectly but, in the words of Steinbeck, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

<philosophizing>
I prefer
"Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential." - Winston Churchill
and
"Every plan is good until the first shot is fired." - Erwin Rommel

Rommel is a bit of a controversial figure but it can't be argued that he wasn't a brilliant strategist. I think that both quotes springboard off of Tzu who said that "the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought.” as well as "Military tactics are like unto water, for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards. " - essentially espousing both thorough planning prior to the war and flexibility once it begins.
</philosophizing>

ditto. last scheduled interview is coming up on Monday, need to take the suit in to have it cleaned and pressed. After that it's just waiting I guess.

This is interview #6, figure it's due, but mostly I hate to press it myself ;-)

Probably doesn't need it. Suits rarely need to be dry cleaned and doing it too much results in them getting a sheen and 'worn out'.