2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nada this week.
A hold from Penn State and a rejection from Dartmouth this week for me. Oh well. Looking forward to my Creighton interview and trying to keep the faith. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my...i cleaned my suit every 2 interviews. I always felt it smelled bad and i've never considered myself a smelly person but maybe I am. :(

@Zelda840 I live there! Shoot me up if you want to! Congrats on Creighton and good luck! That hold could turn into an acceptance...it's not a rejection!

Live where? Omaha? I live here too. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
*wanders in* :cat:

Popping in after a long SDN hiatus to share with you all some news!

Stats:
AMCAS cGPA - 2.88
2 year post bacc GPA - 3.83
AACOMAS GPA - 3.01
MCAT - 31, first attempt

Last cycle, I was woefully underprepared to undertake the app process (I'm an extremely slow writer), so I ended up submitting secondaries in November and December. Radio silence from 14 schools. It was a reality check! The lesson I took from this is that I should've listened more carefully to DrMidLife :bow:, and that the best investment of time you can make in your app process is pre-writing secondaries. This March, I starting editing and re-writing all of the essays from my first cycle, and got a job at a hospital to learn more about working in a medical environment. The experience came in handy as I re-wrote my PS and AMCAS applications, enriching them with details from patient encounters I had at the hospital.

This cycle, I submitted my primary in July, and secondaries from August to October, to 19 schools. Just this week I received an ii to my top choice OOS osteopathic school! I know it's not an acceptance, but I'm still so proud after the uphill battle that it's been to get my GPA in fighting shape after it took a massive hit (read: multiple Fs in science courses) in undergrad. 7 years of undergrad, baby! Feels like yesterday I posted my dismal stats and asked about what it would take to be competitive enough to apply to medical school.

Anyways, thanks for reading my story! Good luck to you all, fellow nontrads. Will be camping out here for the next few months... :banana:

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I'm starting to feel foolish. I spent two and a half years doing my post bacc, got a 4.0....studied my butt off for the MCAT, nailed it...shadowed doctors, got good letters of rec, and worked the whole time. And I still have no interview invites. I don't think it's a misplaced sense of entitlement that made me think I had a chance of getting in, but maybe I was delusional. Sorry to be a downer, but man, this process has got me down.

Please don't lose hope! I just recently got an ii after a similar post bacc journey. One of my classmates from undergrad didn't get any interviews till March and May, and she got 1 DO interview and 1 MD interview. All it takes it one! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just rejected 2 weeks post interview from Rush! All I can do is laugh and think i must have been pretty bad that day to warrant such a speedy turn around.
No worries, same thing happened to me at NOVA and i was sure the interveiw was good.

I am trying to enjoy the wait-game with the app cycle. So I am posting this.

My stats:
cGPA 3.26
sGPA 2.89
MCAT 27 B10 V10 P7

ECs: 100 volunteer hospital, a medical mission, volunteer tutoring and volunteer suicide prevention. Work experience tutoring and Health care, medical translation.
BA in five years and two extra years of just science. Foreign born (immigrant) and URM.

Applied to 19 schools, so far 5 rejections (those come first, say Doctors, fingers crossed they are right) and 2 holds. Still silence from everyone else.
I am trying to remain hopeful while waiting and searching for MS programs just in case.

Hope every one out there is keeping their spirits up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

My stats:
cGPA 3.26
sGPA 2.89
MCAT 27 B10 V10 P7

ECs: 100 volunteer hospital, a medical mission, volunteer tutoring and volunteer suicide prevention. Work experience tutoring and Health care, medical translation.
BA in five years and two extra years of just science. Foreign born (immigrant) and URM.

Applied to 19 schools, so far 5 rejections (those come first, say Doctors, fingers crossed they are right) and 2 holds. Still silence from everyone else.
I am trying to remain hopeful while waiting and searching for MS programs just in case.

Yeah it's the "Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!" Thread, but be wary, there's a lot of superstars in there with like 18 interviews and 12 acceptances so it might make you feel insecure, Cuz it sure made me feel like it! lol jk jk

Yeah it's the "Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!" Thread, but be wary, there's a lot of superstars in there with like 18 interviews and 12 acceptances so it might make you feel insecure, Cuz it sure made me feel like it! lol jk jk
UH

whoever got 12 acceptances can throw one my way.

I only need one.

It is a bit anxiety-inducing! I'm not worried if I stay off SDN and just trust in God. Everything always works out that way! :)

Last edited:
You know that part when people tell you to start worrying when it hits thanksgiving? Yeah. That part. That's where I am.

I got 3 interviews pretty soon after I submitted then total silence. Hopefully there's some movement for all of us once apps close and schools are have a better idea of what their class could look like.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have an acceptance in hand from any of those 3 interviews? I'd imagine we should all be hearing from most schools as the year closes (or at least that is what I'm hoping).

You know that part when people tell you to start worrying when it hits thanksgiving? Yeah. That part. That's where I am.

I got 3 interviews pretty soon after I submitted then total silence. Hopefully there's some movement for all of us once apps close and schools are have a better idea of what their class could look like.

Do you have an acceptance in hand from any of those 3 interviews? I'd imagine we should all be hearing from most schools as the year closes (or at least that is what I'm hoping).

I had the first one a week and a half ago. The second is in the first week of december. The third is scheduled for the end of jan. If I hear back with a yes, it's all smooth sailing.

I've been working in a hospital for four years and I'm honestly ready to move on now. I work at one of the best hospitals in the country and the attendings are from all over the place, but work damn hard and do quality research. If I was to get into hofstra (first interview), I'd likely withdraw from a large number of schools, tbh. I might hear from them by mid december, which is unnerving in and of itself!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the best hospitals in the country and in Boston, that narrows it down to one of Partners hospitals (I worked at the cancer one at 44 Binney St for two years).

Congrats on the interviews! Hopefully, you get into Hofstra. I tried to go in order of importance submitting applications. If I get into any of my state schools, I'd withdraw from almost all other schools (cheap tuition and a gf that lives in-state would definitely keep me in NY), but alas still waiting on an ii from somewhere [anywhere].

I had the first one a week and a half ago. The second is in the first week of december. The third is scheduled for the end of jan. If I hear back with a yes, it's all smooth sailing.

I've been working in a hospital for four years and I'm honestly ready to move on now. I work at one of the best hospitals in the country and the attendings are from all over the place, but work damn hard and do quality research. If I was to get into hofstra (first interview), I'd likely withdraw from a large number of schools, tbh. I might hear from them by mid december, which is unnerving in and of itself!

Can I wait to start worrying?
I really don't want to start worrying...
I think I've already started worrying

The second interview is Albany, where one of my mentors went, and the third is UMass which would be amazing because of the tuition (and the school is awesome!).

Re: Boston hospitals. While there are many amazing partners hospitals, Beth Israel and Childrens are not partners and are both incredible institutions. Also harvard affiliated, so I don't think just the partners bit is totally accurate ;)

Last edited:
Live where? Omaha? I live here too. :)
Yep. Also, i don't think it's your committee letter or you wouldn't have received an II. I'd be happy to meet up with you and go over questions before your next interview if you want.

Can I wait to start worrying?
I really don't want to start worrying...
I think I've already started worrying

:(

I just keep talking to my friend who got her first ii in March for words of encouragement. It's weird because it was the last school thought she'd get an interview from as an OOS applicant! Hopefully we have don't to wait that long to have an acceptance in hand, but it's reassuring to know how it can play out.

Last edited:
Yep. Also, i don't think it's your committee letter or you wouldn't have received an II. I'd be happy to meet up with you and go over questions before your next interview if you want.

DO IT @Zelda840 !!!

Just make sure to take her to a place serving soup dumplings!

My stats:
cGPA 3.26
sGPA 2.89
MCAT 27 B10 V10 P7

And don't you let your spirits flag, @DoctressM!

Another II... but still no acceptances.

This is just... :boom:

Another II... but still no acceptances.

This is just... :boom:
Understandable. But the glass really is half full. I have a friend who turned in 20+ applications for allopathic PLUS some for DO. Reasonable stats and excellent background and not a single "come and talk to us" yet. So. . . congratulations on the 'nother II!!

Reactions: 2 users
Are you waiting to hear back or did you get a rejection?
Two waitlists back to back. Waiting on a few others and still have interviews to go.
It's just that I don't have a gauge about how I'm doing.

Two waitlists back to back. Waiting on a few others and still have interviews to go.
It's just that I don't have a gauge about how I'm doing.

Don't worry, you do have a gauge...you've been invited to the interviews! Some schools use the waitlist more than others. It's understandable, yet annoying. Just focus on the good: something(s) has caught the eye of multiple adcoms and they want to get to know you better. That's something great!

Reactions: 5 users
I guess it's that time when the cycle ends and it's both good and bad. It's great to know that people are being interviewed and accepted already. But for those who applied late (my mcat was 9/4) the waiting continues. The apps are closing so no more competition going that way.

Is anyone else sitting in the silence? I have had 5 rejections and 2 hold so far. Out of 19 MDs and 3 DOs. Everyone else, still silence.

Any one out there on the same situation?

Is anyone else sitting in the silence? I have had 5 rejections and 2 hold so far. Out of 19 MDs and 3 DOs. Everyone else, still silence.

42 secondaries, heard back from 10, plus 2-3 holds I think. I stopped checking portals. It'll come about again in Jan. I need to be productive now though.

Last edited:
I guess it's that time when the cycle ends and it's both good and bad. It's great to know that people are being interviewed and accepted already. But for those who applied late (my mcat was 9/4) the waiting continues. The apps are closing so no more competition going that way.

29 secondaries, complete silence from 15 of those, 8 rejections, no IIs yet. And I was complete mid-July - early-Aug at all of them.

Patience is key. It isn't easy or fun, but if you aren't rejected yet, then you're still in the running.
Schools aren't shy about rejections, if they don't want you, they'll say so pretty quickly after screening out your app (barring a small handful of silent reject schools). So silence (while not super) isn't entirely a bad thing.

Any Interviews?
What's the average date you were completed?

3 IIs. One in Nov, one in Dec, and one end of Jan. Complete mid August but added a couple of places in late August/ early Sept.

I'm hopeful for more movement in dec/Jan, but honestly I'm a little disappointed I haven't heard from temple, Jeff, Drexel, and tufts.

Last edited:
29 secondaries, complete silence from 15 of those, 8 rejections, no IIs yet. And I was complete mid-July - early-Aug at all of them.

Patience is key. It isn't easy or fun, but if you aren't rejected yet, then you're still in the running.
Schools aren't shy about rejections, if they don't want you, they'll say so pretty quickly after screening out your app (barring a small handful of silent reject schools). So silence (while not super) isn't entirely a bad thing.

I feel you. I am trying to enjoy the the year and think that It may be my only break in a long time. but it is SOOOOO hard.

I rather take silence than a rejection because it keeps me in the game. I can use a II though. Have not had a single one and like, I am scared. BUT but I also did apply late and have low stats, So I am being realistic that schools have to really consider me to consider me.

42 secondaries, heard back from 10, plus 2-3 holds I think. I stopped checking portals. It'll come about again in Jan. I need to be productive now though.

*whistles* Daaaang, I thought I wanted it badly! You went hard, cranking out all those secondaries. Surely your effort will pay off!

This is essentially my shot all eggs in basket etc. Really hoping for more IIs though to stratify Risk till the first potential acceptance.

3 IIs. One in Nov, one in Dec, and one end of Jan. Complete mid August but added a couple of places in late August/ early Sept.

I'm hopeful for more movement in dec/Jan, but honestly I'm a little disappointed I haven't heard from temple, Jeff, Drexel, and tufts.
I think I can provide some insight into getting love from humungous schools (I have IIs primarily from those who receive 10K+ apps). I have an extremely focused application that emphasizes a my story - where I came from, where I'm going, and why I'm going there. I also have a personal statement that I'm very proud of. I know it made a huge impact at least in some schools, where it tied all my activities together into one clear image of who I am. Basically, the definition of show, not tell.

Chin up - I'm still getting IIs from schools that have been silent since July. Rooting for you!

Reactions: 6 users
I think I can provide some insight into getting love from humungous schools (I have IIs primarily from those who receive 10K+ apps). I have an extremely focused application that emphasizes a my story - where I came from, where I'm going, and why I'm going there. I also have a personal statement that I'm very proud of. I know it made a huge impact at least in some schools, where it tied all my activities together into one clear image of who I am. Basically, the definition of show, not tell.

Chin up - I'm still getting IIs from schools that have been silent since July. Rooting for you!
This is helpful insight. My two IIs are from smaller schools. Maybe I should have had a more focused application.

This is helpful insight. My two IIs are from smaller schools. Maybe I should have had a more focused application.
I'm a reapplicant and I can tell you that focusing my app made a huge difference this time around. It may be that YMMV, but I firmly believe in having a cohesive story.

I'll probably be keeping a bit of a low profile as I spend the next week hanging out with family.

I just wanted to say that I'm thankful for this group and how everyone is supporting each other. Have a great thanksgiving.

Reactions: 9 users
I'll probably be keeping a bit of a low profile as I spend the next week hanging out with family.

I just wanted to say that I'm thankful for this group and how everyone is supporting each other. Have a great thanksgiving.
I'll second that. This thread helps keep me sane. Thank you all and enjoy the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: 5 users
Been lurking and not posting a lot lately since my cycle is close to over, not much movement when you only apply to 6 schools! Anyway I still keep up and wishing us all a good ending.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm a reapplicant and I can tell you that focusing my app made a huge difference this time around. It may be that YMMV, but I firmly believe in having a cohesive story.
Well if I have to reapply maybe I could ask for you to review my app?

I'm sure you won't have to reapply, but in case things don't work out despite my certainty, I'd be very happy to do that!

I think my application may be similar to @kthxbai. My activities and personal statement reflect my journey, what I've learned and what really drives me to pursue medicine, even in my 30s. And I've also received interviews from some of the high volume schools. I've had some interviewers quote from my personal statement. And at my interviews I've basically retold my story and why I want to be a physician. Apparently it works to be true to yourself.

And I have something extra to be thankful for this week: I was accepted at Mayo Medical School this morning!

Reactions: 18 users
I think my application may be similar to @kthxbai. My activities and personal statement reflect my journey, what I've learned and what really drives me to pursue medicine, even in my 30s. And I've also received interviews from some of the high volume schools. I've had some interviewers quote from my personal statement. And at my interviews I've basically retold my story and why I want to be a physician. Apparently it works to be true to yourself.

And I have something extra to be thankful for this week: I was accepted at Mayo Medical School this morning!
WOWW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am not expressing a lack of confidence, but should you need a second reader, I'd also be willing to take a look. My parents (both profs) have drummed into my head the importance of "the story," so I may be helpful. Some interviewers have complimented my essays. (Not saying that I'm getting a Pulitzer Prize, just that "some interviewers" liked them.) Right now, though, I am "helping" by thinking that you WILL succeed this round and that patience and positive thinking--along with your qualifications--will be rewarded.

A blessed giving of thanks to all. I hope that we all manage to remember how fortunate we are and recall those less fortunate.

Reactions: 4 users
I am not expressing a lack of confidence, but should you need a second reader, I'd also be willing to take a look. My parents (both profs) have drummed into my head the importance of "the story," so I may be helpful. Some interviewers have complimented my essays. (Not saying that I'm getting a Pulitzer Prize, just that "some interviewers" liked them.) Right now, though, I am "helping" by thinking that you WILL succeed this round and that patience and positive thinking--along with your qualifications--will be rewarded.

A blessed giving of thanks to all. I hope that we all manage to remember how fortunate we are and recall those less fortunate.
Thanks! You're very kind. :)

And to all -- a blessed Thanksgiving! Things have been crazy this month, so it looks like we are going out to eat tomorrow. :\ Thankful I have the option, though. :D

Well I'm going to go have a drink or six, just got the acceptance e-mail from OHSU and feel like I may just float away.

Thanks, Virtual hugs, and Good luck to everyone!

'Pog OUT!

Reactions: 13 users

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you!!!! See you at second look!