2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a few questions for people in the Navy:
When should I get information about commissioning and orders for ODS?
Should I be looking for these in my mailbox or email?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions for people in the Navy:
When should I get information about commissioning and orders for ODS?
Should I be looking for these in my mailbox or email?
Mrs. Wilsnack is the commissioning coordinator. If you haven’t heard anything and have your unconditional acceptance, I would shoot her an email. But if you don’t already have orders to ODS, I would expect to go during third or fourth year as I’m pretty sure it’s full.

Mrs. Wilsnack is the commissioning coordinator. If you haven’t heard anything and have your unconditional acceptance, I would shoot her an email. But if you don’t already have orders to ODS, I would expect to go during third or fourth year as I’m pretty sure it’s full.
I have my unconditional acceptance and I've seen some confirmation emails coming through about ODS but they don't have much information in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my unconditional acceptance and I've seen some confirmation emails coming through about ODS but they don't have much information in them.

If you’ve gotten an email from oracle saying you’re confirmed, then you should have a spot. Mr. Bruce is the student travel guru at USUHS. Honestly not super sure if you need to do anything since I’m currently active duty and had to submit something through DTS to get my TAD orders. An email to Mrs. Wilsnack asking if they are waiting on you for anything is not out of line.

Reactions: 1 user
If you’ve gotten an email from oracle saying you’re confirmed, then you should have a spot. Mr. Bruce is the student travel guru at USUHS. Honestly not super sure if you need to do anything since I’m currently active duty and had to submit something through DTS to get my TAD orders. An email to Mrs. Wilsnack asking if they are waiting on you for anything is not out of line.
I've gotten the confirmation from Oracle. Thank you, I'll send an email to get it figured out. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to just wait it out but the start was getting too close for comfort.

I've gotten the confirmation from Oracle. Thank you, I'll send an email to get it figured out. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to just wait it out but the start was getting too close for comfort.

If it makes you feel better, I have a seat and don’t have my orders yet either. Happens sometimes. This is the busiest time of the year for orders and PCS.

The waiting on orders thing won't change. Most times TAD orders still come in 5-7 days before I am expected to leave.
Anything greater than that and you are lucky!
The key is knowing who to talk to verify everything is good to go. This is difficult until you get to your first solid command.

Have fun at ODS and make sure you go see the Red Sox play if you've never been to Fenway.

The waiting on orders thing won't change. Most times TAD orders still come in 5-7 days before I am expected to leave.
Anything greater than that and you are lucky!
The key is knowing who to talk to verify everything is good to go. This is difficult until you get to your first solid command.

Mine aren't TAD orders lol. I'm detaching from USUHS and then PCSing to USUHS with ODS en route. :p But I'm fortunate in that not only am I already at a permanent command, but that command is USUHS lol. So I had everything set up pretty solidly.

Have fun at ODS and make sure you go see the Red Sox play if you've never been to Fenway.

I love baseball. If I get the chance, I definitely want to go to Fenway.

Ooo baseball fans in here? Im actually going to the new AT&T park in SF this weekend.. idrc about the giants or diamondbacks tho.

Also considering flying out with some buds to watch the dodgers cream the red sox.. KIDDING :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when a conditional acceptance turns into an unconditional one?

I don't have much hope of getting off the secondary AF waitlist at this point. Sooooo I am withdrawing my spot today, commissioning through HPSP this week, and going to my state med school! Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call - First, thank you SDN fam for putting up with my crap, especially you Mr. Matthew9:35 and AZdoc. I thoroughly enjoyed spamming your inbox.

Now unto the specifics.

I applied midway through the cycle (sometime in July/August).
Put on hold right after thanksgiving (the point where I should have already gotten one interview, and if not start looking at back up plans)
Then literally a few days later got an II for early Jan.
Then put on hold in late march.
Waitlisted very soon after (Secondary waitlist)

Then this afternoon.. right as I was working, literally in the middle of a phone call using my work phone. I see my cell phone light up with a 301 number on it calling.. im like, wtf?? Then right under that it said (maybe:Aaron Saguil) I almost crapped my pants. I hung up so quick told the person ill call em right back..

Anyway, its still all very surreal for me, i didn’t think it would happen but here we are. Super overjoyed and grateful right now.

Reactions: 10 users
TL;DR Accepted. Navy. Secondary waitlist.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know where they are with the AF waitlists? And also, Does it go "Primary", "Secondary", then Alternate?

Just got the call - First, thank you SDN fam for putting up with my crap, especially you Mr. Matthew9:35 and AZdoc. I thoroughly enjoyed spamming your inbox.

Now unto the specifics.

I applied midway through the cycle (sometime in July/August).
Put on hold right after thanksgiving (the point where I should have already gotten one interview, and if not start looking at back up plans)
Then literally a few days later got an II for early Jan.
Then put on hold in late march.
Waitlisted very soon after (Secondary waitlist)

Then this afternoon.. right as I was working, literally in the middle of a phone call using my work phone. I see my cell phone light up with a 301 number on it calling.. im like, wtf?? Then right under that it said (maybe:Aaron Saguil) I almost crapped my pants. I hung up so quick told the person ill call em right back..

Anyway, its still all very surreal for me, i didn’t think it would happen but here we are. Super overjoyed and grateful right now.

So happy for you! Welcome to the best branch! I’m guessing it’s too late for you to get orders to ODS this year, but I’ll see you in August!

Or possibly July. We are supposed to muster July 8, but that might be just for ODS grads to make sure we all got back in one piece.

I don't have much hope of getting off the secondary AF waitlist at this point. Sooooo I am withdrawing my spot today, commissioning through HPSP this week, and going to my state med school! Good luck to everyone!!

Sorry we won’t be seeing you at USUHS, but congrats on the acceptance and the hpsp acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So happy for you! Welcome to the best branch! I’m guessing it’s too late for you to get orders to ODS this year, but I’ll see you in August!

Or possibly July. We are supposed to muster July 8, but that might be just for ODS grads to make sure we all got back in one piece.

What is this muster thing? But yeah, the MAN himself told me I wont be doing ODS, but I’m personally hoping to move to MD by end of July early august.. i have no idea what the specific orientation or day one of classes is yet..

What is this muster thing? But yeah, the MAN himself told me I wont be doing ODS, but I’m personally hoping to move to MD by end of July early august.. i have no idea what the specific orientation or day one of classes is yet..

July 30-31 will be time for household goods and moving in. Orientation starts August 1. Classes start August 19, and the ~2 weeks of orientation are apparently pretty packed full of stuff for in-processing.

To muster is to bring everyone together. Sometimes for an inspection, sometimes for information to be put out. The Navy Company Commander wants us all to muster on July 8. But like I said, that might be specific to the ODS people. You'll get guidance as you go along, so if you aren't told to be anywhere July 8, then you don't have to be there.

Currently on the secondary waitlist for army but I have my commit to enroll date for another school coming up. Anyone have any idea where WL movement is at for army? Just trying to get stuff figured out!

July 30-31 will be time for household goods and moving in. Orientation starts August 1. Classes start August 19, and the ~2 weeks of orientation are apparently pretty packed full of stuff for in-processing.

To muster is to bring everyone together. Sometimes for an inspection, sometimes for information to be put out. The Navy Company Commander wants us all to muster on July 8. But like I said, that might be specific to the ODS people. You'll get guidance as you go along, so if you aren't told to be anywhere July 8, then you don't have to be there.

2 week orientation?? LOL! Y’all got me mucked up. See you Aug. 18th! Kidding, not trying to lose my comiss

Just wondering if anyone would have clues about how this all works --I'm not prior service so it's all been kind of confusing! I found out recently that I won't get my orders in time for ODS, but my orders will be written to report to USU in July instead. They said I'll get my orders by June 15th the latest and that I will report to USU no later than July 15th. Also, I took the oath before I found out I won't be getting my orders. It seems like lots of people are traveling now, but I'm wondering if now that I'm not going to ODS if it would be okay for me to travel as well! Would it be pretty risky for me to travel out of the country once I get my orders and before my report date? Or is it safe once I have my orders? Anything would help if y'all have any insights!!

Just wondering if anyone would have clues about how this all works --I'm not prior service so it's all been kind of confusing! I found out recently that I won't get my orders in time for ODS, but my orders will be written to report to USU in July instead. They said I'll get my orders by June 15th the latest and that I will report to USU no later than July 15th. Also, I took the oath before I found out I won't be getting my orders. It seems like lots of people are traveling now, but I'm wondering if now that I'm not going to ODS if it would be okay for me to travel as well! Would it be pretty risky for me to travel out of the country once I get my orders and before my report date? Or is it safe once I have my orders? Anything would help if y'all have any insights!!

You just have to be there no later than your report date. Before then, feel free to travel. Just be safe and don’t do anything illegal. Enjoy your summer!

You just have to be there no later than your report date. Before then, feel free to travel. Just be safe and don’t do anything illegal. Enjoy your summer!

Yo that last point is too true. I’m literally playing it super safe because I feel like anything, maybe even a small misdemeanor can ruin everything at this point ..

Yo that last point is too true. I’m literally playing it super safe because I feel like anything, maybe even a small misdemeanor can ruin everything at this point ..

I mean you shouldn’t be doing anything illegal anyway. But you really shouldn’t be now that you’re going to be in the military. It may sound corny, but you are a Sailor 24/7, and you represent the military to civilians. Don’t make us look bad please.

I mean you shouldn’t be doing anything illegal anyway. But you really shouldn’t be now that you’re going to be in the military. It may sound corny, but you are a Sailor 24/7, and you represent the military to civilians. Don’t make us look bad please.

Not to brag (or maybe to do exactly that ;) ) I have a perfectly clean record no driving tickets, nothing criminal or civil. That may just be because I haven’t lived long enough yet but I plan on keeping it clean as much as I can haha.

To the folks currently admitted or who are current students, how did you go about finding housing? I see posts on here about places in Rockville but that seems too far and I do not like the unreliability of public transportation (School specific bus is fine). Does anyone know of people looking for roommates?
I do not have a supposed packet from USUHS about housing..

For a little bit of background my housing in college was dorm-life year one (cool for year one, but only year one) then having a house to share with mates for three years. We had like 7-9 guys at different times in a 4 bedroom house, and to me that was live-able but I essentially could not get any work done at home.. Now, for med school I would prefer to have my own room in a house or apartment not too far from USU. I will have a car, but will also buy a bike.

Pls respond or DM if you have any info/advice.

after you check in you get 10 days to house hunt/apartment hunt. once you get hard copy orders call the base to get 10 days in billetting so you have a place to stay until you find a place to live. in the USU class of 2023 page there are people who are looking for roommates. but remember you also get a housing allowance in addition to your O1 salary. the area is pretty pricey. most people in the area use the metro and there is a metro stop right outside the base where USU is on and a shuttle during peak hours from that area to USU. parking is limited on base and we were told they only have enough parking slots for a 1/3 of the class to get parking passes

Since I wanted an apartment, I simply used google maps to view apartments within walking distance and then researched each of the apartments individually. I found a roommate and we decided to live in the Gallery Bethesda apartments. It’s a little pricey but the amenities are great. Other students also live in the building and it’s a short walk to campus or the metro.

To the folks currently admitted or who are current students, how did you go about finding housing? I see posts on here about places in Rockville but that seems too far and I do not like the unreliability of public transportation (School specific bus is fine). Does anyone know of people looking for roommates?
I do not have a supposed packet from USUHS about housing..

For a little bit of background my housing in college was dorm-life year one (cool for year one, but only year one) then having a house to share with mates for three years. We had like 7-9 guys at different times in a 4 bedroom house, and to me that was live-able but I essentially could not get any work done at home.. Now, for med school I would prefer to have my own room in a house or apartment not too far from USU. I will have a car, but will also buy a bike.

Pls respond or DM if you have any info/advice.

If you are in the Facebook group, there are a couple of people still looking for roommates.

If you are in the Facebook group, there are a couple of people still looking for roommates.

Yeah thats what I’m figuring to be the primary problem right now.. i deleted my social media a few years back :/

Holy crap.. here I was thinking I had till August. For those not doing ODS, I was just told that we are most likely gonna have to report to USUHS by July 15 for “mini-ODS”..

• Wow
I got a letter in the mail yesterday talking about reapplying and my application remaining open over the summer. I am taking this as a "don't get your hopes up" letter. Anyone else get this?

I got a letter in the mail yesterday talking about reapplying and my application remaining open over the summer. I am taking this as a "don't get your hopes up" letter. Anyone else get this?
Also got the letter, a little bummed out

Got the call for Navy earlier this morning! So excited. I was told to be in DC by mid-July.

Reactions: 6 users
Any movement in AF?
Unsure, we didn't discuss movement in other branches.

For those on here who have experience in the military, I am a civilian and excited but very new to this. Where can we purchase uniforms and how many do we need of each?

For those on here who have experience in the military, I am a civilian and excited but very new to this. Where can we purchase uniforms and how many do we need of each?
Uniform purchase should be during officer training... I don’t think you can get them without an ID?

Second the above.

At officer training and as many as they tell you too.

Also, get the military star card while getting your uniforms. 10% off is a lot of money when four digit costs are involved.

Second the above.

At officer training and as many as they tell you too.

Also, get the military star card while getting your uniforms. 10% off is a lot of money when four digit costs are involved.
Training is already going on, I am not going until 4th year. Thanks! I will probably need to make some emails and figure it out.

what's the median or lowest mcat this school takes?

median is 508 i believe but its mission oriented. they wants to make sure the applicants that go here are committed to serving in the military and want to be doctors in the military. so first is will you do well in medical school and the second is will you do well as a military officer taking care of people who are already serving