PhD/PsyD 2019-2020 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahpsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few threads percolating with internship application questions, and since every year before this we've had a dedicated thread for these questions, I figured I'd start one to keep things centralized. Good luck, everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've yet to start my essays, but is anyone interested in being a proofread buddy through this process?

Would it be a bad idea to ask for an extra ref letter than you need in case one of your references drops the ball? My references are all super last minute so I don't want to be stressing too much, but I didn't know if that was bad form. Obviously I wouldn't tell them about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this would be a big deal given that you don't have to tell your letter writers if you actually use their letters or not. I think you designate which letters go to which sites, so if you end up with four, you can choose which three you'll actually send. I don't think it would be bad to hedge, especially if you're worried about one of your writers not being timely.

Thank you!!

Another question - for research sites, is it a good idea to submit only one rec letter form a clinical supervisor and 2 from a research supervisor (e.g., mentor and someone you collaborate with a lot )? Or should we submit two clinical ones and one from our mentor? Or 4 letters (2 research, 2 clinical)?

Reactions: 1 user
Bump.

I'd also be interested in how others are navigating letters or rec for more research heavy sites and haven't been able to find this particular topic in other threads. Any advice from those with experience? Bueller...Bueller...?

Bump.

I'd also be interested in how others are navigating letters or rec for more research heavy sites and haven't been able to find this particular topic in other threads. Any advice from those with experience? Bueller...Bueller...?

My program indicated that your choice for third recommender can send a signal of what your core interests are. So for those of us that were intending to pursue a more research focused career, the third writer was a research collaborator. For those more interested in a clinical career, they chose a clinical supervisor. I was told not to send four letters (they already have enough to read--they don't need more). At the end of the day though, just prioritize the best letters!

Hey all, I would be curious if anyone has tips on the essays?

Tips how, exactly? There is a book that APPIC puts out that has examples. Students currently on internship might be willing to share their experience. Do you have specific questions or concerns?

Just bust them out, I always suggest that you err on the side of caution and do not try for boldness in the essays. Generally speaking, there are more opportunities for red flags than to impress when it comes to the essay review.

Write, revise, ask peers to review, revise, ask mentors to review, revise, put away for a week and re-read with fresh eyes, repeat x3. Be conservative, professional, and open. Don't sell yourself too hard - it can come off as arrogance. Don't do anything not asked of you (e.g., go over word limits). Best advice I have to offer is get your DCT or whoever is in charge of internship stuff in your program to review. They have probably seen a lot of these and can help identify trouble spots or major omissions.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is everyone at with getting ready to apply for internship? Right now I am writing my Cover Letters. I have proposed, written most of essays, and have my list of sites finalized. I have applications due at the end of October. Time is going to fly.

Where is everyone at with getting ready to apply for internship? Right now I am writing my Cover Letters. I have proposed, written most of essays, and have my list of sites finalized. I have applications due at the end of October. Time is going to fly.
I am the internship coordinator in a doctoral program. Most students going out this year are narrowing down between the last couple of sites for their list, some proposed this past week/will propose next week, and the essays are in various forms of finished (ranging from 2nd drafts with feedback from multiple faculty all the way to finished with them). Sounds like you're on good pace.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm about the same! I proposed in July, recently finalized my sites, am receiving feedback on my essays, and have drafted about half of my cover letters. Such a process - I am already counting down the days to February. Good luck to you!! :)

I'm currently working my way through cover letters and getting feedback on essays. You're right though, it's crazy that we only have a month left until things are due! How much feedback are people getting on essays? I'm definitely asking my advisor and my DCT (who requires that we send to her to read them) to read over mine. Should I also plan on getting more feedback than that?

I'm currently working my way through cover letters and getting feedback on essays. You're right though, it's crazy that we only have a month left until things are due! How much feedback are people getting on essays? I'm definitely asking my advisor and my DCT (who requires that we send to her to read them) to read over mine. Should I also plan on getting more feedback than that?

I'm in the same boat! I got feedback on my essays from my advisor (who is also DCT) but not anyone else. I did email my essays to my letter writers, along with my CV, and asked for feedback if they had any to offer, but nobody said anything. I don't know if I should reach out to someone else for feedback or just assume they are probably okay.

On that note - Does anyone know how valued the work samples are that some places request as part of the application? Some of my integrated reports contain quite sensitive information and I do not want to send them, but the ones I am comfortable sending are a bit on the generic side in that they are learning disorder assessments in which the client did not end up having a diagnosable learning disorder. Is a certain kind of report preferable, or is any well-written and well thought-out report acceptable?

I don't know if I should reach out to someone else for feedback
Yes.

or just assume they are probably okay.
No.

More is better. Even if you don't use all the advice, you should always get advice from multiple people. As many as you can because people have different viewpoints and perspectives. They also have different experiences.

Yes.

No.

More is better. Even if you don't use all the advice, you should always get advice from multiple people. As many as you can because people have different viewpoints and perspectives. They also have different experiences.
I agree with this but also think you reach a point where you should stop asking for feedback bc everyone will have different suggestions and it will drive you mad. I think I had maybe 3 to 5 people review my essays but at a certain point I had to stop and just trust the feedback I had received

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I agree with this but also think you reach a point where you should stop asking for feedback bc everyone will have different suggestions and it will drive you mad. I think I had maybe 3 to 5 people review my essays but at a certain point I had to stop and just trust the feedback I had received

Yeh, agreed. 1 is not that number. More than a number of people I encourage folks to get opinions from those with distinct views, perspectives, and backgrounds. This offers variety and is important

Maybe someone in this thread can help answer this question:

On the AAPI there's a question saying: Have you earned or are you in the process of earning a Master's Degree in any field at your current university?

So I just missed the cutoff for to get my master's degree en passant. However, my DCT/Department Chair wrote a letter for me stating that I have met all the requirements and will receive it in January (obviously after the application due date). Should I answer this question as "yes" or "in progress"?

So I just missed the cutoff for to get my master's degree en passant. However, my DCT/Department Chair wrote a letter for me stating that I have met all the requirements and will receive it in January (obviously after the application due date). Should I answer this question as "yes" or "in progress"?

I would put in progress

Random technical question, once we hit "pay now" in the site designations, it won't submit all of our apps, right? I want to preview the apps and make sure everything looks good, but haven't been able to figure out how other than previewing all the single documents separately.

Also I noticed some sites request only 2 references letters, which seems odd since most sites request 3? Should I go ahead and submit 3 just in case, or follow instructions (although it is unclear for a lot of these sites when instructions were last updated)?

Q: I wrote several technical reports as part of my research project. Should these be included on my CV? They're about psychological test use and cultural competence in forensic psychological evaluations so they're relevant to my internship sites. If so, how are they cited?

ETA: I have no peer reviewed pubs, just a book chapter and posters

Hi everyone! Just spent half of the day reading through the entire thread from last year....you can tell i'm already stressed. It seems like a very great group though so let's do the same :)

I'm polishing my essays right now and writing cover letters. I'm a school psych student and definitely unsure how competitive I am but I am trying to keep a positive attitude and remember my strengths!

Also I noticed some sites request only 2 references letters, which seems odd since most sites request 3? Should I go ahead and submit 3 just in case, or follow instructions (although it is unclear for a lot of these sites when instructions were last updated)?

If they say they want two letters only submit two letters. If you’re really unsure if that’s what they want, email the TD and ask for clarification.

Q: I wrote several technical reports as part of my research project. Should these be included on my CV? They're about psychological test use and cultural competence in forensic psychological evaluations so they're relevant to my internship sites. If so, how are they cited?

ETA: I have no peer reviewed pubs, just a book chapter and posters
Yes, include them.
APA publication manual Section 7.03-7.05, pages 206-208

Submit what is asked for. If you are unsure if that is correct, contact the DCT and ask.

Is anyone here applying to the Louisiana School Psychology Internship Consortium? I literally cannot find it on the appliation for internship program designations. It's member number is 1683. Their website isn't updated for this year, but their appic page is, so I am assuming that they're accepting applicants.

Edit: Even if you aren't applying there, can someone check to see if it's coming up in the search?

Last edited:
Even if you aren't applying there, can someone check to see if it's coming up in the search?

I am not applying, but I looked for you. I think it is under Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. Check and see if that's the one you meant (because the APPIC page indicates it falls under LSU Health Sciences Center).

I am not applying, but I looked for you. I think it is under Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. Check and see if that's the one you meant (because the APPIC page indicates it falls under LSU Health Sciences Center).

Thanks for taking a look. I actually reached out to both AAPI support and the site yesterday and it turns out that they're not participating in the match this year :(

Just submitted my apps:soexcited: Feeling excited, relieved, terrified, nauseous, and proud all at the same time! #waitinggamebegins

Be kind to yourself folks. The next few months are a marathon so take the time to enjoy them and take time for yourselves. It can be stressful so take the opportunities to relax and reward yourself. And trust the system that the training you have. If it has tended to work for others in the past in your program, expect that you are likely going to have it work for you as well.

I am close to submitting apps.. but just find myself checking and re-checking, I think I just need to submit them. I also wonder.. do admission committees even read every essay and the cover letter and the CV? I can't help but wonder if they just skim through the apps...

I am close to submitting apps.. but just find myself checking and re-checking, I think I just need to submit them. I also wonder.. do admission committees even read every essay and the cover letter and the CV? I can't help but wonder if they just skim through the apps...
They're going to read them, the level of detail varies. And some will get trashed before they finish reading (e.g., bad training program gets tossed, insufficient hours for site minimums). Some find certain things more valuable. I was never impressed by the use of the theoretical orientation statement, for instance, and gave it a cursory glance for red flags

Last edited:
To what extent do sites care about our current placements? I am weak on hours because my program doesn't allow students to start practicum until third year...I am in two great sites this year but I'm worried that programs won't even care in the slightest about my anticipated hours/experiences.

To what extent do sites care about our current placements? I am weak on hours because my program doesn't allow students to start practicum until third year...I am in two great sites this year but I'm worried that programs won't even care in the slightest about my anticipated hours/experiences.
It will depend on the site and on you. Some will care about sites you're at and others won't a ton. Personally, I dont know folks who put a lot of faith in anticipated hours. The more familiar a site is with your program (e.g. know folks there as training staff at the practicum, know faculty in your program, know former students from your program who came through as interns) the better for you. However, if all else being between you and another applicant and they have more hours/more training of the same type, that is preferred and what you think you'll get doesnt matter a lot. I've seen folks anticipate getting 1000 hours in half a year.. having only 300 their entire career.

Last edited:
I submitted some of my APA applications and just found out that I can add a new achievement in my CV (student poster award at a conference).

Should I email sites asking them if I can update my CV?

I submitted some of my APA applications and just found out that I can add a new achievement in my CV (student poster award at a conference).

Should I email sites asking them if I can update my CV?

Was it a national conference? If so, may be worth it. If it was like a university research or local conference, doesn't move the needle much and I would not bother.

Was it a national conference? If so, may be worth it. If it was like a university research or local conference, doesn't move the needle much and I would not bother.

It was a national conference. Would it come across as weird that I am emailing sites and sending them an updated CV which isn't through the APPIC portal? Its literally the same CV with one extra line in there.

It was a national conference. Would it come across as weird that I am emailing sites and sending them an updated CV which isn't through the APPIC portal? Its literally the same CV with one extra line in there.

A little. If that's the only change, it's not likely to change the equation all that much when it comes to initial selection for interview. I'd personally probably just hold on to it and if it can be mentioned naturally during interviews, drop it in there. did you finalize your applications early? I thought most were due at the end of the month.

A little. If that's the only change, it's not likely to change the equation all that much when it comes to initial selection for interview. I'd personally probably just hold on to it and if it can be mentioned naturally during interviews, drop it in there. did you finalize your applications early? I thought most were due at the end of the month.

Yes, I did finalize my applications early (which I am now regretting). It is the only change, so I like your recommendation of holding on to it and mentioning it during interviews (if I get them).

Thank you for your help

Yes, I did finalize my applications early (which I am now regretting). It is the only change, so I like your recommendation of holding on to it and mentioning it during interviews (if I get them).

Thank you for your help

Although it's a great accomplishment (congrats!), I don't think it will significantly influence your ability to get interviews. In fact, we TDs are already getting plenty of emails about applications and I would be annoyed if everyone started contacting me about changes to their CV. We know your CV will change and I think it could hurt you more than help you to start emailing programs to submit different materials. Definitely save it for interviews though!

With application deadlines approaching, I am hoping that this thread will serve to report interview decisions as they come through. I have noticed that members have done so via a thread in past years, which helps to inform others where they may stand if they have applied to the same sites.

I wish the best of luck to everyone!

Hello everyone! Congrats to those who submitted their apps already! I have a question about a supplemental material requirement. Mount Sinai Adolescent Health internship site asks for a "comprehensive psychological test battery". To me a battery means a list of measures I'd pick for a specific client/presenting concern, but I wonder if they actually want an assessment report. Has anyone else come across this request? Can someone provide me some clarification? I'm asking here because I'd love to not bother the training director.

Hello everyone! Congrats to those who submitted their apps already! I have a question about a supplemental material requirement. Mount Sinai Adolescent Health internship site asks for a "comprehensive psychological test battery". To me a battery means a list of measures I'd pick for a specific client/presenting concern, but I wonder if they actually want an assessment report. Has anyone else come across this request? Can someone provide me some clarification? I'm asking here because I'd love to not bother the training director.
Absent any further information: if they are asking for you to send in something I would suspect that means an adolescent assessment report. I see the confusion though, on first glance it sounds like they just want a list of measures. I’m not sure how that would be helpful to them! I’d assume they mean an integrated assessment report.

I would assume they want an assessment

Question for those who have been through the process previously. Or, of course, those on internship committees.

For programs with Nov. 1st application deadlines, when should we expect to hear concerning interview or open house invites? I realize that each program is different, as well as the existence of long-term deadlines by which programs contact all applicants regarding their status (e.g., Dec. 31). But, for those fortunate enough to get interviews, how long was it after Nov. 1 when the emails actually started coming in?

Just wanting to get some perspective for when interview invite announcements will start popping up here on SDN. Thanks!

Question for those who have been through the process previously. Or, of course, those on internship committees.

For programs with Nov. 1st application deadlines, when should we expect to hear concerning interview or open house invites? I realize that each program is different, as well as the existence of long-term deadlines by which programs contact all applicants regarding their status (e.g., Dec. 31). But, for those fortunate enough to get interviews, how long was it after Nov. 1 when the emails actually started coming in?

Just wanting to get some perspective for when interview invite announcements will start popping up here on SDN. Thanks!

Hi! I applied last year. I turned in all my apps around this time, so I don’t actually remember when most of the apps were due, but I got my first interview invite on 11/16. But it definitely dragged, so just be prepared for three weeks to feel like 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we submit our applications even though our letters of recommendations are not in yet? I have 2 in but my last supervisor is still working on it and Should be done within the next week. Regardless I want to submit my applications in. Thoughts?

Can we submit our applications even though our letters of recommendations are not in yet? I have 2 in but my last supervisor is still working on it and Should be done within the next week. Regardless I want to submit my applications in. Thoughts?

I *think* you can, but the downside is that if the recommendation never comes in / comes in late it would be incomplete? So if you asked for 4 letters but someone doesn't submit theirs you could use another letter that someone submitted.