PhD/PsyD 2019-2020 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I'll start posting my questions here...My school sent my transcript to the online APPI portal a month ago. Even with the 10 days it takes to be processed, they agreed they should have received it by now. I had my school re-send the transcript (overnight this time) a few days ago but it still hasn't been processed because of the 10 day rule. For my sites that are due on the 1st, my only solution was to have my transcripts sent directly from my school to each individual site (overnighted, of course). I have yet to see anything that forbids this, but I have a bad feeling they won't be accepted because of the way sites always word it - "your APPI application, including transcripts, essays, etc." I don't want to contact them already being a pain, especially because they'll just assume I waited until the last second. Eventually APPIC support told me "sometimes things get lost in the mail" so they won't make it a priority to process my transcript sooner than 10 days... Does anyone know if it is okay to send transcripts separately? It's going to cost about $200 so I want to make sure before I do it. I'm trying not to freak out too.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we submit our applications even though our letters of recommendations are not in yet? I have 2 in but my last supervisor is still working on it and Should be done within the next week. Regardless I want to submit my applications in. Thoughts?

Yes. It will show up in a separate section of the selection portal until all the letters are there but it shows that you’ve submitted it. Most times when I have incomplete applications in my portal it’s because a letter hasn’t been submitted yet.

Thank you! I'll start posting my questions here...Does anyone know if it is okay to send transcripts separately? It's going to cost about $200 so I want to make sure before I do it. I'm trying not to freak out too.

Im copying my reply from your other thread to this one too in case anyone else has a similar issue and doesn’t see your original thread.

Full stop. Don’t do this.​

Contact the programs you are applying to, explain the issue and attach an unofficial transcript to your email. Include that you are working with APPIC to resolve the issue but wanted them to have the transcript ASAP (hence the unofficial transcript attached). You can offer to have an official transcript overnighted in the email if they would prefer it. I’m willing to bet 9 out of 10 would not.​

We are used to there being issues and glitches in the portal and all of the TDs I know, myself included, tend to err on the side of what is easiest for you during this stressful time.​

Breathe. It will be okay.​

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those who have been through the process previously. Or, of course, those on internship committees.

For programs with Nov. 1st application deadlines, when should we expect to hear concerning interview or open house invites? I realize that each program is different, as well as the existence of long-term deadlines by which programs contact all applicants regarding their status (e.g., Dec. 31). But, for those fortunate enough to get interviews, how long was it after Nov. 1 when the emails actually started coming in?

Just wanting to get some perspective for when interview invite announcements will start popping up here on SDN. Thanks!

We're hoping for right before or after Thanksgiving, but some of our tracks might notify before others depending on volume (meaning applicants could conceivably receive two or three separate invites from us, depending on which tracks they applied to). I recall I got my first interview the Friday before Thanksgiving, and it was a notification by phone.

Reactions: 1 user
I just need a spot to vent my irritation with programs that don't clearly state what application materials they want. Or that hide important application information in bizarre spaces (like the manual for current interns). grumblegrumblegrumble

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Random pontificating: When I applied my year it was right after hurricane Sandy. Many of my sites had Nov 1 deadlines, but pushed them back 2-3 weeks due to the hurricane. Had that not happened I would not have gotten my stuff in due to some dissertation IRB issues and resultant angst, all due to my procrastinations. So essentially, no hurricane Sandy equaled no match, no subsequent fellowship, no subsequent multiple employments, etc... It's weird to think how life has these weird kind of lynchpin moments, and also that I owe something to a hurricane.

Is the DCT section due on Nov 1 or can it be submitted later with no repercussions? There's been a last minute issue with a requirement in my program which is causing everything to be delayed

I don't think there's a specific deadline for the DCT verification - it just needs to be submitted/verified in order for you to submit your applications (APPIC literally prevents you from submitting your apps without DCT verification, I believe).

Is the DCT section due on Nov 1 or can it be submitted later with no repercussions? There's been a last minute issue with a requirement in my program which is causing everything to be delayed
I don't think that you can submit your applications without the DCT verification. It's different from letters of recommendation. I got a notification after my DCT verified saying that I was then cleared to submit.

I don't think that you can submit your applications without the DCT verification. It's different from letters of recommendation. I got a notification after my DCT verified saying that I was then cleared to submit.

I emailed my DCT this morning and it was submitted along with my last letter of rec. Time to submit!

Asking for a friend - can references be submitted after application deadlines?

Asking for a friend - can references be submitted after application deadlines?

Yes. Your friend’s application will be in the submitted but not complete section of the selection portal until the reference letters arrive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question: I accidentally marked my undergrad program as "graduate" in the "other education" section. So when I submitted today, it said that it was marked incomplete because they never got a transcript from my college (since it had been marked graduate). I called APPI and, because it was already submitted, they couldn't change it to "undergraduate" and instead said they were going to scan and upload something that says something along the lines of "no transcript needed for this institution." They did so and now my app is marked complete.

Now I'm nervous that this will look bad when people look at my app (like when they see that scanned page). Am I being overly anxious about this?

Now I'm nervous that this will look bad when people look at my app (like when they see that scanned page). Am I being overly anxious about this?

Unless your undergrad was somewhere prestigious and your grad school is somewhere scandalous people probably won’t notice or if they do, they’ll ask. In other words, you’re being overly anxious about this. That’s part of the process. Back in my day we used to stress over what color paper, staple or paper clip, etc. At the end of the day, what matters is your experience and how good of a fit you are. Not that you misclicked on a complicated form.

My transcript was finally uploaded to APPIC! However, due to my school's multiple attempts, they posted eight transcripts. Will internship sites see all of these and think I'm neurotic or something? Also, how do sites receive the transcript? Because when I download the preview of the submitted application it shows everything except the transcript.

My transcript was finally uploaded to APPIC! However, due to my school's multiple attempts, they posted eight transcripts. Will internship sites see all of these and think I'm neurotic or something? Also, how do sites receive the transcript? Because when I download the preview of the submitted application it shows everything except the transcript.

I've been told by a couple people now that transcripts, although necessary, are the, "least important part of the application," that AAPI Online has transcript processing issues every year, and that training directors are well aware of these annual issues. Therefore, I very much doubt they will weigh the 8 transcripts as having any influence on your application decision.

AAPI Online just attaches it separately to the application. Same with the letters of recommendation. You shouldn't see either the transcript or actual LORs in the application preview; if they are completed, the internship will be able to see them.

Random question: I accidentally marked my undergrad program as "graduate" in the "other education" section. So when I submitted today, it said that it was marked incomplete because they never got a transcript from my college (since it had been marked graduate). I called APPI and, because it was already submitted, they couldn't change it to "undergraduate" and instead said they were going to scan and upload something that says something along the lines of "no transcript needed for this institution." They did so and now my app is marked complete.

FWIW: i am currently reading internship applications, and will be doing so all weekend I don’t even bother looking at the transcripts. It’s typically the last page, and I have usually made a decision about someone by then. If there’s an issue where my team can’t decide between two people, GPA and transcripts will literally never be a determining factor. Edit: unless the transcripts suggest that you left a PhD program and went to another. That might raise a red flag.

FWIW: i am currently reading internship applications, and will be doing so all weekend I don’t even bother looking at the transcripts. It’s typically the last page, and I have usually made a decision about someone by then. If there’s an issue where my team can’t decide between two people, GPA and transcripts will literally never be a determining factor. Edit: unless the transcripts suggest that you left a PhD program and went to another. That might raise a red flag.

I'll be working on this soon too. Don't stress about transcript stuff.

We look at transcripts, but it's more of a tiebreaker and red flag thing. For example, if you are looking for a neuro track, but got Bs in all of your neuro related classes, that's not great. Additionally, if people have less than As in practicum placements (the ones that assign letter grades anyway), that is a bit of a red flag as well.

I received invitations to several of meet and greet events (at ABCT) from the sites I had applied to for internship. Does it make any sense to attend these prior to even receiving an interview invite/interviewing with those sites? And, if not, what is the purpose of sending these out to all internship applicants so early on in the game?

I received invitations to several of meet and greet events (at ABCT) from the sites I had applied to for internship. Does it make any sense to attend these prior to even receiving an interview invite/interviewing with those sites? And, if not, what is the purpose of sending these out to all internship applicants so early on in the game?

I think this is pretty common and is mostly for networking purposes between current/former interns and potential interns. My understanding is that they send these invitations out to all applicants (but I could be wrong!). If you're going to be at ABCT and want to go, I don't think it hurts but I also doubt that it makes a huge difference in how your application is evaluated. Basically, I think you're fine whether you decide to go or not :)

I think this is pretty common and is mostly for networking purposes between current/former interns and potential interns. My understanding is that they send these invitations out to all applicants (but I could be wrong!). If you're going to be at ABCT and want to go, I don't think it hurts but I also doubt that it makes a huge difference in how your application is evaluated. Basically, I think you're fine whether you decide to go or not :)
Yup. This is correct.

Some of them never take you off their snail mailing lists either lol.

Already hearing from sites :) Stay hopeful my people! Question: is it wise to respond to emails from sites informing application is being reviewed/considered. Or just interview ones?

Already hearing from sites :) Stay hopeful my people! Question: is it wise to respond to emails from sites informing application is being reviewed/considered. Or just interview ones?

Only respond if they are asking you something. As in, the interview invites asking for date preferences and so forth.

Many of my sites ask for a one page "case summary." Could someone direct me to examples of these? I just want to make sure I'm including appropriate content. I can't find any examples in my internship workbooks or even online. Thanks!

May I ask what type of sites you've heard from? congrats!

These ABCT invites are killing me! Every time I see one pop up in my inbox I have heart palpitations thinking they are invitations for interview. We are getting close to that hearing time now and my obsessive email checking is beginning to rear its ugly head! Reading through the thread of last year and laughing at the suggestions for dealing with stress so figured might as well post on this for support!

A few mass emails stating that my application is currently under review. Neither positive nor negative results regarding interviews thus far.

Many of my sites ask for a one page "case summary." Could someone direct me to examples of these? I just want to make sure I'm including appropriate content. I can't find any examples in my internship workbooks or even online. Thanks!

According to the information I have received, a case summary will depend on the type of rotation to which you are applying or the type of work in which you will be involved. It should be written in your chosen theoretical orientation, show your understanding of the patient, and the type of work/assessment you would conduct based on the orientation. These are generally brief (2-3pgs) while some sites provide their own limit (I have seen sites specific no more than two pages). Integrating data into the conceptualization is generally welcomed.

I noticed a small typo in a cover letter I was revising (forgetting to capitalize a word in the name of a facility) and I checked back and it's in like half of the applications I submitted already D:

I noticed a small typo in a cover letter I was revising (forgetting to capitalize a word in the name of a facility) and I checked back and it's in like half of the applications I submitted already D:

I wouldn't worry about it. Now, if your application is littered with typos, that's another story.

I received an invitation to participate in a 30 minute phone interview. Based on the results of the phone interview, they will invite a select few applicants to an on site interview. The site is a UCC. Does anyone have any insight regarding what to expect during a brief 30 minute preliminary phone interview? Thanks!

Question for those who have been through the process previously. Or, of course, those on internship committees.

For programs with Nov. 1st application deadlines, when should we expect to hear concerning interview or open house invites? I realize that each program is different, as well as the existence of long-term deadlines by which programs contact all applicants regarding their status (e.g., Dec. 31). But, for those fortunate enough to get interviews, how long was it after Nov. 1 when the emails actually started coming in?

Just wanting to get some perspective for when interview invite announcements will start popping up here on SDN. Thanks!

I applied last year and I received my first notification email on November 14th, 2017 for a site that the application was due on the 1st (it was a rejection btw). If you look at the APPIC internship interview forum for 2018-2019 they made a list of the notification dates for most of the sites (would highly recommend you check that out). Also, keep in mind that some sites send their "yes" notifications on different days than their "no" notifications, so if you find out that someone you know has heard back from a site and you haven't, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Furthermore, for some sites, depending on their evaluation process, might send out rejections way before interview invites because people don't pass some basic metric they are using (e.g. training hours, # of publications etc.) and are taken out of the running immediately.

You might also receive three different kinds of "false-flag" emails in the meantime, which will drive you crazy :). These are (1) emails encouraging you to meet up with current faculty/interns at a conference, (2) emails stating that they have received and are reviewing your application, and (3) emails promoting another site that may have not received as many applications and are looking for more applicants.

Out of the 16 sites that I applied to last year, only two waited all the way until the last possible notification date. Every other site sent notifications earlier than what their stated notification date was in their brochures. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I received an invitation to participate in a 30 minute phone interview. Based on the results of the phone interview, they will invite a select few applicants to an on site interview. The site is a UCC. Does anyone have any insight regarding what to expect during a brief 30 minute preliminary phone interview? Thanks!

Do you mind sharing which site?

I have been told that these are brief versions of what one should expect from an in-person interview (sometimes more difficult due to an inability to gauge nonverbals). That is, you may be asked questions about your application or possibly a brief conceptualization. Given that they also conduct subsequent in-person interviews, I would expect this preliminary interview to gauge your personality and manner of speaking. Counseling centers are moving in the direction of providing phone interviews to avoid bias related to ethnicity and other factors that have been shown to impact decisions. Therefore, I would suspect that this is to gauge the interpersonal aspect and then the in-person interview would expand upon that.

I don't think it matters. I was sent example applications by several people. I remember two that got into two different prestigious sites and one had the name of the site wrong and the other had the name of the DCT misspelled. I really don't think anyone reviewing these apps cares.

This is the point in time at which I regret being on highly active listservs - my heart jumps with every email notification.

Interview invite from Rush U, neuro track 11/8 via email. Good luck all!

Interview invite from Rush U, neuro track 11/8 via email. Good luck all!

Ahhhh, congrats!!!!!!

Also wanted to mention there is a separate interview invite thread so that we can keep track of everything in one place.

Again, so awesome!! Let the games begin!

Ahhhh, congrats!!!!!!

Also wanted to mention there is a separate interview invite thread so that we can keep track of everything in one place.

Again, so awesome!! Let the games begin!
Where is the other thread? I can only find it for the 2018-2019 class. Will you post the link?

I'm feeling confused by applying to the site I currently extern at. I love this site and would be MORE then pleased to match there. I'm just wondering...should I submit a report that I have written at this site? I assume yes as it's the most recent report I have written but it feels weird! Any advice?

I'm feeling confused by applying to the site I currently extern at. I love this site and would be MORE then pleased to match there. I'm just wondering...should I submit a report that I have written at this site? I assume yes as it's the most recent report I have written but it feels weird! Any advice?

If I were in your position I would submit your most recent report even if it is from the site that you are applying to because writing/interpretation skills tend to improve exponentially with each successive year in grad school. Furthermore, I'm not sure how big the site is, but it's likely that someone will be reviewing your materials that doesn't necessarily know as much about your abilities, or at the very least hasn't supervised you directly, so it will be new and fresh to them anyway.

So I've received one e-mail indicating I won't be invited for an interview this year. I'm wondering how internship sites might respond to an e-mail asking for advice on how to improve an applicant's background/training. Is it annoying? Am I likely to get a boilerplate response of "we look at many different aspects of an application", etc? Is such an e-mail just inappropriate?

So I've received one e-mail indicating I won't be invited for an interview this year. I'm wondering how internship sites might respond to an e-mail asking for advice on how to improve an applicant's background/training. Is it annoying? Am I likely to get a boilerplate response of "we look at many different aspects of an application", etc? Is such an e-mail just inappropriate?
They dont have time to give everyone this feedback, and they may not have anything useful if you were just not as competitive as those that they are interviewing. "Do more" wont give you direction. Not everyone gets interviews at every site. It's best to accept this at face value and move on.

I need advice. I applied to 11 BOP sites and 9 other corrections or forensic oriented sites- now I’m starting to worry I set my sights too high on the BOP. Should I apply for some more with later deadlines to get a greater variety of chances? No one at my program is very forensic oriented so I don’t have anyone to go to for advice. I’m worried if I wait too long waiting on interview invites I’ll miss out on some possible good options with the later deadlines. Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I need advice. I applied to 11 BOP sites and 9 other corrections or forensic oriented sites- now I’m starting to worry I set my sights too high on the BOP. Should I apply for some more with later deadlines to get a greater variety of chances? No one at my program is very forensic oriented so I don’t have anyone to go to for advice. I’m worried if I wait too long waiting on interview invites I’ll miss out on some possible good options with the later deadlines. Help!!!

Are any of the sites with late deadlines a good match with your experience and interests? If they don't fit as well as the ones you already applied to, it might not be worth it IMO.

Are any of the sites with late deadlines a good match with your experience and interests? If they don't fit as well as the ones you already applied to, it might not be worth it IMO.

Yes, there are a few that are a good match- their deadlines are in the next few days.