PhD/PsyD 2019-2020 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, there are a few that are a good match- their deadlines are in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Might be worth it then!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is after the fact, but would anyone be willing to share a cover letter with me at a site where they received an invitation to interview? I think my cover letters were not very strong, and for future reference I am trying to see how to improve. I have the sample in the APAGS book, but I had a hard time coming up with letters that weren’t boring or sounding like I am talking too much about myself. Can you send me a PM? I think it is set so you can message me. If not, comment for me to message you, and I’ll see if I can get that to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is after the fact, but would anyone be willing to share a cover letter with me at a site where they received an invitation to interview? I think my cover letters were not very strong, and for future reference I am trying to see how to improve. I have the sample in the APAGS book, but I had a hard time coming up with letters that weren’t boring or sounding like I am talking too much about myself. Can you send me a PM? I think it is set so you can message me. If not, comment for me to message you, and I’ll see if I can get that to work.
If you haven't found one yet I can send you one

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Hi! I just submitted and made a mistake. I’m trying to identify how egregious it is in terms of getting interviews. I made a mistake and didn’t redact the assessment day for as assessment report in my application. As in, it has the day month and year of the date of assessment. Everything else is redacted. I know it’s an error but I’m just trying to gauge how large.

Hi! I just submitted and made a mistake. I’m trying to identify how egregious it is in terms of getting interviews. I made a mistake and didn’t redact the assessment day for as assessment report in my application. As in, it has the day month and year of the date of assessment. Everything else is redacted. I know it’s an error but I’m just trying to gauge how large.
You should be able to edit any submissions until the actual due date....From what I remember, it's not set in stone until you've paid for it and its closed. Is that not an option?

Aside from that, assuming you can't upload a new one with date redacted...if there is no other identifying information (no location, place they were assessed, no name, DOB, etc...) then that assessment could have taken place literally anywhere on that date. You're probably fine. Don't overthink these things too much - one of my biggest regrets about internship season was working myself into a perpetual state of anxiety over things that I really didn't need to. Its understandable for sure, but try to manage it the best you can. That date probably won't ruin anything :)

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to edit any submissions until the actual due date....From what I remember, it's not set in stone until you've paid for it and its closed. Is that not an option?

Aside from that, assuming you can't upload a new one with date redacted...if there is no other identifying information (no location, place they were assessed, no name, DOB, etc...) then that assessment could have taken place literally anywhere on that date. You're probably fine. Don't overthink these things too much - one of my biggest regrets about internship season was working myself into a perpetual state of anxiety over things that I really didn't need to. Its understandable for sure, but try to manage it the best you can. That date probably won't ruin anything :)

I agree wholeheartedly. Excellent answer.

Just submitted my applications last night. I applied to 28 sites (cringe). I wonder if sites will get back to us if we were selected for an interview before the typical December notifications they mention in their brochures.

Just submitted my applications last night. I applied to 28 sites (cringe). I wonder if sites will get back to us if we were selected for an interview before the typical December notifications they mention in their brochures.

Most will not. Many of us won't even look at the portal until the deadline hits.

Most will not. Many of us won't even look at the portal until the deadline hits.
That is terrible but understandable hahaha

I always wondered if internship committee people get a lesser workload during the november/december months or if they are expected to go through applications in addition to their current workload.

I always wondered if internship committee people get a lesser workload during the november/december months or if they are expected to go through applications in addition to their current workload.

It’s in addition to our usual workload.

As said above, it is in addition to our workload. It was this way when I was at the VA as well, though our usual workload was pretty light there, so it was nbd.

I'm curious too -- if you had to estimate, how many hours do you personally spend reviewing materials and discussing applicants before invitations / rejections are sent out?

I'm curious too -- if you had to estimate, how many hours do you personally spend reviewing materials and discussing applicants before invitations / rejections are sent out?

I probably spend upwards of 60 hours, but we're a fairly large program and get quite a few applications. And it's all outside normal work hours.

Im copying my reply from your other thread to this one too in case anyone else has a similar issue and doesn’t see your original thread.

Full stop. Don’t do this.​

Contact the programs you are applying to, explain the issue and attach an unofficial transcript to your email. Include that you are working with APPIC to resolve the issue but wanted them to have the transcript ASAP (hence the unofficial transcript attached). You can offer to have an official transcript overnighted in the email if they would prefer it. I’m willing to bet 9 out of 10 would not.​

We are used to there being issues and glitches in the portal and all of the TDs I know, myself included, tend to err on the side of what is easiest for you during this stressful time.​

Breathe. It will be okay.​

Absolutely agree.