2019-2020 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven't heard from Marian yet and am starting to get really nervous since it has been 2+ weeks since I got the "1-2 weeks" email...
Update: been 4 weeks and no secondary. Not sure if this means I'm getting rejected or they're still making up their minds....anyone else taking this long?

Members don't see this ad.

Update: been 4 weeks and no secondary. Not sure if this means I'm getting rejected or they're still making up their minds....anyone else taking this long?
You can always try calling them. Errors happen and better to be proactive because its almost August and getting later for secondaries.

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list, but I am not sure if I meet the LOR requirements..

1 committee letter - 2 science , 2 nonscience professors
2 individual - 1 clinical neuropsychologist, 1 MD

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a text saying:
"You’re invited! For what…? Your supplemental app from MU-COM is ready to complete. Check your email! #MUCOM #ChooseDO"
But there's nothing in my inbox yet. Anyone else get this?

Just got a text saying:
"You’re invited! For what…? Your supplemental app from MU-COM is ready to complete. Check your email! #MUCOM #ChooseDO"
But there's nothing in my inbox yet. Anyone else get this?
Hi doglover,
At times our supplemental application invite will go to junk/spam folders, so check there. If you received the text it means you have been sent a supplemental invite. We hope this helps!

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list, but I am not sure if I meet the LOR requirements..

1 committee letter - 2 science , 2 nonscience professors
2 individual - 1 clinical neuropsychologist, 1 MD

You are good to go!!! I did two science and MD, I was sent a completed email a couple days ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi doglover,
At times our supplemental application invite will go to junk/spam folders, so check there. If you received the text it means you have been sent a supplemental invite. We hope this helps!

I've been checking my junk/spam folder as well. Nothing yet. Hopefully it pops up! Thanks for your response!

Hey was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me and if I should give the school a call.

So for my secondary portal application I know that they have to go in manually and edit the letters of reference. I checked my portal yesterday and my science LOR was updated to complete but it still had a red mark next to the advisor and physician LOR. On my AACOMAS application I had 5 letters of reference one from my internship supervisor, one from my orgo teacher, 1 from my previous places of employment, 1 from my masters degree program, and one from a MD I had shadowed. Is there a reason why all letters would not be updated at the same time or should I follow up with the school?

Thank you!

Last edited:
update thank you for the information regarding contact, I was able to figure out why my letters were marked incomplete. One of them was accidentally mismarked and the other didn’t have a letter head so I got helpful information as to how to fix that and send it in.

Thank you again for the help and follow up!

Last edited:
I'm from Indiana and plan to do primary care. MU-COM would have been my first choice and I would have applied early decision but I needed a 505 MCAT and I got a 503. What do you guys think about saying that I would have loved to apply EDP to MU-COM had I gotten a higher MCAT score in the motivation for MU-COM or additional info part?
I would say don’t deliberately draw attention to a deficit in your application unless the question is specifically asking you to.

Hi @MU COM
For the question regarding gaps in employment or education, after I graduated from undergrad I completed a post-bac program and have been working full time since that ended. There have never been any "gaps" where I wasn't either in school or working, but should I still talk about what I did post-grad as that is what the question is aiming at? Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year’s thread people started posting around the second week in August their II invites. It seemed to be through email as well if I remember correctly.

Hi @MU COM
For the question regarding gaps in employment or education, after I graduated from undergrad I completed a post-bac program and have been working full time since that ended. There have never been any "gaps" where I wasn't either in school or working, but should I still talk about what I did post-grad as that is what the question is aiming at? Thank you so much for your help!
Hi gb,
If ther have been no gaps in education or employment then you would not need to complete that question. I hope this helps.

Hi @MU COM - it's been over five weeks since I've received the "Within the next 1-2 weeks, you may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application" email. Is this normal and I need to practice patience, or should I reach out to check on the status of my application?

Thanks!

Good morning

After submitting the primary application, how long did it take to receive a secondary?

Good morning

After submitting the primary application, how long did it take to receive a secondary?
I got my secondary the day after I submitted the primary, and I didn't decide to apply here until a bit later so I submitted my primary 7/30.

does Marian send out completed emails?

It will show as completed in the portal if everything is processed.

Also from the original email that sent out the secondary application "When the above items have been received, you will be notified, via the AMP portal, that your application file is complete. At that time, a member of our committee will review your application for an invitation to interview on campus."

If everything is complete in the portal, based off that statement I quoted, it's just the waiting game for II's.

does Marian send out completed emails?
Yes, I recieved this email on 7/25/19:
"Greetings from MU-COM!

I am pleased to inform you that your application for admission into the entering fall 2020 class is now complete. I appreciate your compiling all of the materials for us.

At this time, your file is being forwarded to a member of our Admissions Committee who will decide if you are invited for a campus interview. This review typically takes at least 4 weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year."
(there was more to the email, but you get the point!)

I did submit my application 7/3/19, so it took a few weeks to receive a complete email

Does this school interview an MCAT of 493? I know their minimum is a 491.

Yes, I recieved this email on 7/25/19:
"Greetings from MU-COM!

I am pleased to inform you that your application for admission into the entering fall 2020 class is now complete. I appreciate your compiling all of the materials for us.

At this time, your file is being forwarded to a member of our Admissions Committee who will decide if you are invited for a campus interview. This review typically takes at least 4 weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year."
(there was more to the email, but you get the point!)

I did submit my application 7/3/19, so it took a few weeks to receive a complete email

Hmmm, I didn’t get that email, but everything in my portal says complete. The letters are complete the supplemental everything. I’ve sent an email out earlier this week but I haven’t gotten a response.

Weird. Not sure if I should send another email next week.

Hmmm, I didn’t get that email, but everything in my portal says complete. The letters are complete the supplemental everything. I’ve sent an email out earlier this week but I haven’t gotten a response.

Weird. Not sure if I should send another email next week.
I don't know, maybe they don't always send complete emails. It took me a few weeks to receive that email even after everything on my portal said complete

Update x2: turns out it meant I was getting rejected :blackeye: good times!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Hi @MU COM will admissions be sending out interview invites soon?!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi @MU COM will admissions be sending out interview invites soon?!
Hi nil,
We hope to have the invites sent out within the next few days. Our online interview sign-up system is down and we cannot send out invites until it is corrected.

Reactions: 3 users
@MU COM is it possible for an MCAT score of 493 to get an interview? Or will it get screened?

Hi nil,
We hope to have the invites sent out within the next few days. Our online interview sign-up system is down and we cannot send out invites until it is corrected.
Thank you!

I am dyyyying for them to send out interviews. I'm instate and its my number one choice! I need to know if I got one :( how are you all so patient?

I am dyyyying for them to send out interviews. I'm instate and its my number one choice! I need to know if I got one :( how are you all so patient?

life, distractions, doing what you have always wanted to do, and doing what you love ;)

It’s about realizing that great things in life are worth waiting for. This school can be an opportunity to chase your dreams and provide a career and comfort that you can do till the day you decide to retire.

Exercise, if you don’t have a job find a job, work more hours, and then understand that an interview may not come till even next year, and you’re blessed too be given the opportunity.

I’m appreciative that MUCOM has a representative that works with us on these forums and provides updates, many schools don’t even do that.

Reactions: 5 users
Almost third year at Mucom here..GOOD LUCK!!!!
As a third year, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions! Do MUCOM do P/F or A-D grading? Are lectures mandatory or are you able to watch lectures from home? How long did you get off for COMLEX Level 1 dedicated studying? Are you able to set up your own rotations third and fourth year if you have access to a hospital that hosts medical students? Thanks for your help!

They will start rolling out quickly once it begins! MU-COM is very good with their communication to the applicants. I hope you receive one as well since its your #1!

Reactions: 2 users
As a third year, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions! Do MUCOM do P/F or A-D grading? Are lectures mandatory or are you able to watch lectures from home? How long did you get off for COMLEX Level 1 dedicated studying? Are you able to set up your own rotations third and fourth year if you have access to a hospital that hosts medical students? Thanks for your help!
Hi! It is letter grading A-fail. Lectures other than OMM and clinical medicine can be watched from home. Actual dedicated time started around May 1st. But they changed the curriculum recently and I think it allows for more dedicated time. You can set up rotations fourth year bc you have much more flexibility to choose your schedule and do audition rotations and other hospitals. Third year it is a little harder to do core rotations somewhere else but they do allow it.

Hi! It is letter grading A-fail. Lectures other than OMM and clinical medicine can be watched from home. Actual dedicated time started around May 1st. But they changed the curriculum recently and I think it allows for more dedicated time. You can set up rotations fourth year bc you have much more flexibility to choose your schedule and do audition rotations and other hospitals. Third year it is a little harder to do core rotations somewhere else but they do allow it.
Thank you for all of the information. Sounds like a great University.

@MU COM
MUCOM is my top choice! I was wondering when Interview invites begin to get sent out! Also, if I was not selected for an interview, will I be notified via email? Thank you

@MU COM
MUCOM is my top choice! I was wondering when Interview invites begin to get sent out! Also, if I was not selected for an interview, will I be notified via email? Thank you
Hi JAAN,
We will begin sending out invites either today or tomorrow. All applicants will be notified via email if they were not selected for an interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Does MUCOM pull letters of rec from AACOMAS or do I need to send them to the school myself? I submitted 13 days ago and it still has my letters marked as incomplete.

Does MUCOM pull letters of rec from AACOMAS or do I need to send them to the school myself? I submitted 13 days ago and it still has my letters marked as incomplete.
I submitted them through AACOMAS and they are there. It just takes them a few weeks to download them to your app.

They do say allow a few weeks to process before emailing them, but I did have a problem with my letters in that the MD I shadowed didn't put a letterhead on his letter so he had to resend it before it would be processed. If you don't hear back after maybe 15 days maybe follow up to see if something similar happened to you, since we wouldn't really know if the person writing the letter doesn't show you it.

Been refreshing every 10 min in hopes for an invite lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Only one person received an II today? :eyebrow::thinking: Anyone else receive one?

Maybe he’s trolling? I mean he did just make that account and post that one comment.

Reactions: 1 users