2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! Hope you hear back from that other school soon! I was wondering if you sent your LOI through the portal or via email?
I sent it through both but got a response back from the email to only send it through the portal!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent it through both but got a reponse back from the email to only send it through the portal!
Thanks for letting us know! I really wish they could just send a thumbs-up or something to show they got it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I was just accepted off the waitlist and was wondering where are the normal housing options for students trying to live close to campus? Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate I would love to get in touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was just accepted off the waitlist and was wondering where are the normal housing options for students trying to live close to campus? Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate I would love to get in touch.
Hello, can you direct message me?

quick question who do i contact to withdraw my acceptance/application

quick question who do i contact to withdraw my acceptance/application

Just email admissions I believe :) . Someone asked this earlier in the thread and that’s what they did .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed admissions to withdrawal and got hit with the automatic reply email. I wish they would confirm it. Anyways best of luck to yall wayne is a fantastic school!

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed admissions to withdrawal and got hit with the automatic reply email. I wish they would confirm it. Anyways best of luck to yall wayne is a fantastic school!

Sweet burger - you should also try calling if you got an automatic email. I think
Emailing is sufficient but They’ve answered my calls before just to confirm . I called the other day regarding a question I had. Not sure if they will respond due to upcoming holiday but it’s worth a shot too

I withdrew last night and got a confirmation from them today (also received the automatic reply instantly)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just got accepted this morning! debating between wayne and msucom rn though

Reactions: 3 users
Does any current student know why most students match in Michigan? I am from out of state and would love the opportunity to consider my home state and others for residency and was wondering if there is a correlation here? thanks so much!!!

Has anyone reached out to Wayne to see if they share where we stand on the waitlist?

Has anyone reached out to Wayne to see if they share where we stand on the waitlist?
The email they sent states...

3) We do not have a numbered or ranked alternate list. It is not possible for us to advise you of the chances that you would eventually be offered admission. Individuals placed on the alternate list may get an admission offer at any stage of review when admission decisions are made from today through the beginning of orientation in July 2020.

Does any current student know why most students match in Michigan? I am from out of state and would love the opportunity to consider my home state and others for residency and was wondering if there is a correlation here? thanks so much!!!

Wayne state and detroit-affiliated hospitals and schools offer hundreds of residency spots and like to take their own students. If you are a WSUSOM student and you are ok with staying in Detroit, there is a very good chance they have a spot for you. And they have a very good program, so most students rank it highly. Personally, I'm hoping to match into radiology, which requires I take one "transition year" before starting, and I plan on doing that here through WSU's residency program. Many students who need a transition year will also do the same. It's just easy.

Gpa actually dropped because I left some of my more difficult pre req courses like orgo till 4th year. However my gpa was 3.80 this year regardless. Wrote the Mcat again and my score was the exact same a 507. I had gained more shadowing and research experience between my apps. I had a long-standing high level of leadership experience and also quite a diversity of experiences in general. This year I also had better reference letters, 6 in total. 3 profs who knew me very well and personally, and three people from where I volunteered including a very accomplished endocrinologist. Honestly I feel like EDP helped to give me a foot in the door for the interview. I’m a Canadian app so I feel like that hindered me last year.

Tried DMing you but it wont let me. Do you mind shooting me a question? I have some questions about MCAT and EDP

Wayne state and detroit-affiliated hospitals and schools offer hundreds of residency spots and like to take their own students. If you are a WSUSOM student and you are ok with staying in Detroit, there is a very good chance they have a spot for you. And they have a very good program, so most students rank it highly. Personally, I'm hoping to match into radiology, which requires I take one "transition year" before starting, and I plan on doing that here through WSU's residency program. Many students who need a transition year will also do the same. It's just easy.
Great! Thank you

Can anyone speak to EDP numbers of accepted and waitlisted? Worth it or not?

I’ve heard from friends that went there that it isn’t worth it

Eh, I guess it depends. It was very much worth it for some of my friends who did EDP (and were able to get in)--paid very little on applications, felt less burnt out, and had an early acceptance. Some EDP advice: The key is to make your application very Wayne-centered. Make it clear that you want to work and learn in Detroit (maybe evident through volunteering experience in urban settings, doing research on topics pertinent to the locale, etc.). Also mention it in your personal statement. Then make it shine through on interview day--have lots of specific examples as to why you want to go to Wayne State.

Eh, I guess it depends. It was very much worth it for some of my friends who did EDP (and were able to get in)--paid very little on applications, felt less burnt out, and had an early acceptance. Some EDP advice: The key is to make your application very Wayne-centered. Make it clear that you want to work and learn in Detroit (maybe evident through volunteering experience in urban settings, doing research on topics pertinent to the locale, etc.). Also mention it in your personal statement. Then make it shine through on interview day--have lots of specific examples as to why you want to go to Wayne State.
careful mentioning anything specific to wayne state in your personal statement or activities -- in the chance that you still don't get accepted in EDP, you will not be able to change your personal statement or activities, which will be bad if you decide to still apply to other schools afterward.

careful mentioning anything specific to wayne state in your personal statement or activities -- in the chance that you still don't get accepted in EDP, you will not be able to change your personal statement or activities, which will be bad if you decide to still apply to other schools afterward.
Yes I agree! I meant things that would pertain to Wayne and its mission, not explicitly saying "Wayne is my top choice"

There was a post by a current student on the Facebook group last week regarding an optional scholarship info meeting. Did anyone receive a follow-up on this? Also does anyone know when Wayne starts giving out financial aid award letters? Thanks!

There was a post by a current student on the Facebook group last week regarding an optional scholarship info meeting. Did anyone receive a follow-up on this? Also does anyone know when Wayne starts giving out financial aid award letters? Thanks!
Can you estimate as to how many in that chat are incoming M1s?

Can you estimate as to how many in that chat are incoming M1s?
Hmm..it wasn't a chat per se but a Facebook post on the class page by an M2 who linked a google docs survey on a scholarship info zoom meeting to gauge how many people would be interested. I don't have an estimate unfortunately!

Hey guys,

Okay question. So I was accepted at msucom, which starts in June. I'm also on the waitlist for wayne and I on the waitlist email it says if you're accepted into any MD or DO school, then you wouldn't be considered at wayne. How should I proceed? I really want to go to wayne, but don't know what to do.

"4) Applicants who have matriculated into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine. Matriculation at most allopathic medical schools occurs in July or August."

Do I just not contact them? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Okay question. So I was accepted at msucom, which starts in June. I'm also on the waitlist for wayne and I on the waitlist email it says if you're accepted into any MD or DO school, then you wouldn't be considered at wayne. How should I proceed? I really want to go to wayne, but don't know what to do.

"4) Applicants who have matriculated into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine. Matriculation at most allopathic medical schools occurs in July or August."

I am in the exact same boat as you. In at MSUCOM but waitlisted at Wayne. I sent a letter of intent a while ago and just hoping for the best. At the end of the day, I am happy with MSUCOM and still get to be a physician. It just sucks how Wayne takes their sweet time and I'm hoping for an answer before I matriculate at MSUCOM (whether its an acceptance or rejection).

Hey guys,

As long as you get accepted into Wayne before school starts for MSU, Wayne shouldn’t have a problem. They just don’t want you to start school somewhere and leave when another acceptance rolls around

But would they ever know? How would they even find out?
Yikes.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm in the same situation too. Do you think Wayne will automatically know if we matriculate to MSUCOM or should we reach out to Wayne and tell them?

Honestly, not sure. I asked some friends that are at wayne and they said that they never had that stipulation.

Honestly, not sure. I asked some friends that are at wayne and they said that they never had that stipulation.

But this is also the first year that they mention that last part in the email right ? That’s my guess though .. About if you matriculate, you will be removed from further consideration or something .

But this is also the first year that they mention that last part in the email right ? That’s my guess though .. About if you matriculate, you will be removed from further consideration or something .

Yeah, apparently it's their first time.

Figured I’d ask on here before contacting Wayne directly...

Does anyone know if we can submit titers that we’re drawn previously? I got them done for my job about 8 months ago, and I’d rather not get them done again if I don’t need to.

Still wondering if anyone who got the additional skype interview was ultimately accepted. Seems like such a weird thing to do if they aren't even extending offers to some of those people

Hey guys,

I go to Wayne. If you tell another school on AMCAS that you are going to MSUCOM, it will withdraw you from all other schools, including waitlists. I know this really sucks but at the end of the day you will be a doctor
you can contact them, but honestly they probably won't do anything. Hold out as long as you can and then make a choice.

Last edited:
I go to Wayne. If you tell another school on AMCAS that you are going to MSUCOM, it will withdraw you from all other schools, including waitlists. I know this really sucks but at the end of the day you will be a doctor
you can contact them, but honestly they probably won't do anything. Hold out as long as you can and then make a choice.
so this applies to any MD school, not just Wayne, is what you are saying? Am I getting that right? =/

Wanted to clarify...what do you mean by "hold out"?

so this applies to any MD school, not just Wayne, is what you are saying? Am I getting that right? =/
I can't speak for other medical schools and you all probably know better than me if rules have changed.

Just as an example for Wayne, last year when I started, every student, waitlisted or accepted straight-out, had to select commit to enroll by June 24th (probably similar this year) and withdraw all other acceptances and waitlist. I'm sorry I can't help with other schools!

Wanted to clarify...what do you mean by "hold out"?
Sorry for being vague! I just mean when I was in your shoes with a similar situation last year, I waited until closer to the final date I had to make a final decision before deciding! I don't know what MSUCOM's dates are, but then sound pretty early compared to other schools.

Folks on the waitlist, how do we feel about further acceptances? Still more going to be given out or are we pretty much done for this cycle?

Folks on the waitlist, how do we feel about further acceptances? Still more going to be given out or are we pretty much done for this cycle?
I honestly only heard good things about wayne’s WL - “its a good WL to be in, a lot of WL movement, so many people accepted off the WL” but it’s been a while since anyone’s posted an acceptance, but then again their class size is near 300 so I’m not really sure. All we can do now is to have faith!

I know multiple people from different years who have been accepted only a week or two before classes start. There's still hope!