2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew! Hopefully my spot goes to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you doing ISAC? From what I understood in the email they sent to us ISAC students, only those who were doing ISAC would be able to register this early, everyone else would register in July but I could be wrong about that.

Class of 2023 ISAC student here. You will be registering separately from the rest of the class. Follow the instructions you received in your email carefully.

Class of 2023 ISAC student here. You will be registering separately from the rest of the class. Follow the instructions you received in your email carefully.
Hey! Thanks for the info. I had the dates correct for me, I was just making sure OP knew that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Several of us students from the Class of 2023 are planning to hold a virtual Meet and Greet for accepted students over Zoom on Saturday, May 23 at 1:00 PM. This is a great opportunity for you all to ask questions and meet some of your future classmates. The Zoom link will be posted to the Class of 2024's Facebook group and on the COMP Connect app DO 2024 section the day of the event.

A quick disclaimer about the event - the views students express at this Meet and Greet are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of COMP or WesternU.

Link to the WesternU COMP Class of 2024 Facebook group: WesternU COMP Class of 2024

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Several of us students from the Class of 2023 are planning to hold a virtual Meet and Greet for accepted students over Zoom on Saturday, May 23 at 1:00 PM. This is a great opportunity for you all to ask questions and meet some of your future classmates. The Zoom link will be posted to the Class of 2024's Facebook group and on the COMP Connect app DO 2024 section the day of the event.

A quick disclaimer about the event - the views students express at this Meet and Greet are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of COMP or WesternU.

Link to the WesternU COMP Class of 2024 Facebook group: WesternU COMP Class of 2024

Thanks!

you and any current students: how do you find the curriculum? do you recommend firecracker or boards and beyond?

Nope ): At this point I wish they would just email us... Waiting on a call is so much slower

Reactions: 2 users
No but now Imma Be anxious all week long lol :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
On the Waitlist for this school, and COMP is by far my top choice school. I made the mistake of applying late. I would honestly I would do anything get on the deferred list. But I don't think WL ppl can move up to that spot. Congrats on everyone who is getting off the deferred list.

I can confirm there is movement. I got a call and was accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS to everyone accepted!!!! :)
Have all acceptances been granted to deferred students or have they started accepting alternate list applicants?

I just got my financial aid package. Under cost of attendance, there’s a $450 iPad listed. Does this mean we’ll have to buy one from the school, or is it just to account for if we would want one?

I just got my financial aid package. Under cost of attendance, there’s a $450 iPad listed. Does this mean we’ll have to buy one from the school, or is it just to account for if we would want one?

I think they're making us buy it. I emailed them about opting out. I'll report back when I've got an answer.

My hunch is that they're making us buy it. I emailed them about opting out. I'll report back when I've got an answer.
Thanks! I recently bought a 12.9 ipad pro and would hate to have to buy another one..

Also, from the zoom meet and greet it sounded like we will be online until labor day, but nothing is official and things could change

So far, they have told us that they plan to be back on-campus starting September 8th. However, this is subject to change depending on the state of the pandemic

I'm hoping so. As much as I want to keep people safe, I would also really like to meet all of ya :)

• Love
CONGRATS to everyone accepted!!!! :)
Have all acceptances been granted to deferred students or have they started accepting alternate list applicants?
I was deferred and I'm still waiting to hear back so I'm guessing they haven't moved to waitlist people yet.

Thanks! I recently bought a 12.9 ipad pro and would hate to have to buy another one..

Also, from the zoom meet and greet it sounded like we will be online until labor day, but nothing is official and things could change

You're required to buy the one from the school because they load their own anatomy software on it. Sorry you bought one, maybe you can return it?

You're required to buy the one from the school because they load their own anatomy software on it. Sorry you bought one, maybe you can return it?

That's unfortunate. They aren't able to just give you a link to download their software? Mine is past the return window, but there's obviously worse things in life than having 2 ipads :(

It states costing 445. A base iPad costs 329. Is the cost including the anatomy software and some up charging (ie convenience fee)?

It states costing 445. A base iPad costs 329. Is the cost including the anatomy software and some up charging (ie convenience fee)?
Not sure. But on your statement you get from the bursar it says the iPad is 505 give or take. Don’t remember the exact value

I wouldn't be surprised if they give themselves a little profit on top of it but they rationalize it by paying for the software

From my experience, when a school requires you to buy something from them, it tends to be more expensive and/or an inferior product than if you got it on your own.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they give themselves a little profit on top of it but they rationalize it by paying for the software

My undergrad college learned if they got custom editions of the textbook, which were similar to common editions minus some chapters, more students would buy from the school instead of second hand/old editions off amazon. You could call me cynical, but the publishers did have an office upstairs :lol:

A lot of my classmates use their own personal iPads. We got our iPads as “gifts”. Not sure if school will let you opt out but you can def use your own iPad

I was waitlisted, so not alternate and not deferred technically?

and thanks!!
I was an alternate at another school. My understanding is deferred > alternate > waitlist (I may be wrong because I do not understand why you’d need two items that essentially do the same thing).

also, I am probably at the bottom of the deferred list so I’ll let y’all know when they’re done with the list hahahha.

It might be the upgraded storage version, like 128gb or 256gb with LTE.

Their answer: "Unfortunately, you are not able to opt out of receiving an iPad. The device is pre-loaded with software and includes the ability for us to push software onto this device. Something that cannot be done with students having their personal device. This is the students "professional" iPad and we have to ensure that the software used is accessible on all devices (we use these for many of our exams)."

I'm waiting on a response to what model/year.

Their answer: "Unfortunately, you are not able to opt out of receiving an iPad. The device is pre-loaded with software and includes the ability for us to push software onto this device. Something that cannot be done with students having their personal device. This is the students "professional" iPad and we have to ensure that the software used is accessible on all devices (we use these for many of our exams)."

I'm waiting on a response to what model/year.
It's actually nice to have an ipad dedicated only to school-related stuff.

Was deferred. Just got the call about an hour ago!! They gave me two weeks to submit the deposit. So excited to see y’all in the fall :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I was an alternate at another school. My understanding is deferred > alternate > waitlist (I may be wrong because I do not understand why you’d need two items that essentially do the same thing).

also, I am probably at the bottom of the deferred list so I’ll let y’all know when they’re done with the list hahahha.
looks like I'm also at the bottom of the list lol...

looks like I'm also at the bottom of the list lol...
It’s only been a little over a week since most movement began I believe. There’s still time! I’m rooting for you guys ❤

Hi everyone. I was a deferred acceptance and got a call yesterday that I will be a part of the class of 2024! Incredibly grateful and wish the best for the rest of you waiting to hear back from Western and other schools. This process is incredibly draining, but definitely worth it!

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
They're letting you opt out of the ipad purchase if you already have one. I can't decide if I should though. One one hand, it would be useful to have a school-only iPad. On the other, I spent 1200 on an ipad pro + applecare a few months ago... Also having their management software on my device weirds me out

They're letting you opt out of the ipad purchase if you already have one. I can't decide if I should though. One one hand, it would be useful to have a school-only iPad. On the other, I spent 1200 on an ipad pro + applecare a few months ago... Also having their management software on my device weirds me out
Do you know if you will be locked out of certain features if you register your personal Ipad with the Student Bag Package Program? I think best would be to just swallow the cost of the Ipad so we can have a dedicated device for school

Do you know if you will be locked out of certain features if you register your personal Ipad with the Student Bag Package Program? I think best would be to just swallow the cost of the Ipad so we can have a dedicated device for school
I think you would have the same functionality since they push all of the software via their management software, but I'm not sure.

I agree, I'm leaning towards just getting it. It would also be nice to have a smaller/cheaper ipad I could bring on rotations and later on

Just took the 2000$ hit and withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you guys gets some good news soon.

Just took the 2000$ hit and withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you guys gets some good news soon.
Sorry about the (huge) bank account deficit but congrats on getting accepted to a better place (presumptively an MD program or a DO one closer to where you live).

They said the most recent versions of the Pro and Air will work too.