2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know why we haven't heard of much waitlist movement yet? From past years it seems like it started even earlier than May, so just wondering what is going on this year as it seems awfully quiet so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know why we haven't heard of much waitlist movement yet? From past years it seems like it started even earlier than May, so just wondering what is going on this year as it seems awfully quiet so far.

im not sure what is happening but i wouldnt be discouraged. this is the latest interview invites seem to have gone out and the school seems to be interviewing much later in the season than usual. i dont think they would be doing that if they weren't anticipating a large amount of movement. i have a feeling we'll start hearing about waitlist a's today.

im not sure what is happening but i wouldnt be discouraged. this is the latest interview invites seem to have gone out and the school seems to be interviewing much later in the season than usual. i dont think they would be doing that if they weren't anticipating a large amount of movement. i have a feeling we'll start hearing about waitlist a's today.
Why today? Is there a school commitment deadline or something similar?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why today? Is there a school commitment deadline or something similar?
AAMC was having problems with their system that allows people to finalize their commitment to one MD school, but apparently it’s up and working now so we should hear back very soon as people commit to their MD school and drop their spot at Western. Patience friends our time is near!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
it just occurred to me that they might wait to finish interviews before sending out waitlist acceptances? in case someone blows them away or something. just a thought if we dont hear back soon

either way them still interviewing this late only bodes well for them taking a large number of applicants off the wl

Last edited:
withdrew my A here. I hope it goes to one of you!

after y'all had your interviews, did your application page get updated with the date and time of your interview?

after finding out that alternate list is way below waitlist, I kind of lost my hope :/

I got an email a couple days ago saying I've been rejected from COMP-NW:
"Thank you for your interest in Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest. We regret to inform you that your Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Northwest (DONW) application did not move forward in our admissions process and the application cycle is now closed."

I submitted a primary for the school, but no secondary. I did submit a secondary and recently interviewed at the COMP (Pomona) campus however. Is it possible for the email to be a notice of my rejection from the Pomona campus, or is it only limited for the Northwest Oregon campus? My portal for both schools has not changed at all.

I got an email a couple days ago saying I've been rejected from COMP-NW:
"Thank you for your interest in Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest. We regret to inform you that your Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Northwest (DONW) application did not move forward in our admissions process and the application cycle is now closed."

I submitted a primary for the school, but no secondary. I did submit a secondary and recently interviewed at the COMP (Pomona) campus however. Is it possible for the email to be a notice of my rejection from the Pomona campus, or is it only limited for the Northwest Oregon campus? My portal for both schools has not changed at all.
just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but I've had a similar experience with midwestern Arizona and midwestern Chicago. I think both campuses admit students independently so that email is probably only for that particular campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Man the wait for this school to get back to those of us who are wondering if we should start prepping for reapplication is just so difficult :( I keep hoping to start seeing waitlist movements every day. It gets more difficult with each passing day as we approach the end of May

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
yup this is correct. if your letter says waitlisted then you have priority over alternate status. chris vu told me that if you are waitlisted the probability of acceptance is very high. he said he couldn't "guarantee" it would be an A but not to be worried. it goes deferred A > waitlist > alternate status. the letter specifies which but the reply will always say "alternate status," so just base it on what ur letter says n ur good. 👍
icymi:

does anyone know what the chances are for getting off the alternate list? ):

does anyone know what the chances are for getting off the alternate list? ):
Historically, the chances are fairly high for both waitlisted and alternate applicants, but this year seems to be a bit different as there has been little to no movement so far and they interviewed much later in the cycle than usual. So honestly no one can know for sure. All we can do is wait, which just feels so difficult at this point lol

Last edited:
For those still on WL/AL have you already started applying for the next cycle, is that frowned upon?

where do you check the status letter? is it just the "status update" on the portal?
Yeah for me it was under 'Status Update" and there was a link which took me to another page with a letter.

I think we might not hear until later this month. WL movement seems slow everywhere so far and it seems like even some MD schools are still interviewing so i don’t expect it to start soon. I think that’s why they interviewed so late into the cycle because the school is probably expecting lots of movement. It’s strange because Western NW has already seen a good amount of movement and they only have half the seats Pomona has, so when Pomona starts I do think we’ll see a lot just like years past. Seems like everyone from the WL gets off and several from the alternate list have gotten off in the past too so maybe we just have to hang in there! Not sure why things would be any different this year so that’s my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
I think we might not hear until later this month. WL movement seems slow everywhere so far and it seems like even some MD schools are still interviewing so i don’t expect it to start soon. I think that’s why they interviewed so late into the cycle because the school is probably expecting lots of movement. It’s strange because Western NW has already seen a good amount of movement and they only have half the seats Pomona has, so when Pomona starts I do think we’ll see a lot just like years past. Seems like everyone from the WL gets off and several from the alternate list have gotten off in the past too so maybe we just have to hang in there! Not sure why things would be any different this year so that’s my opinion.
I think the problem for Pomona started when they accidentally accepted a whole interviewing cohort and didn't rescind those acceptances. all we can do is wait and see

has admissions stated when we should expect waitlist movement to pickup for this cycle?

I was recently told to expect most movement in late May/early June by an admissions person there.

Reactions: 6 users
Pre-II R for Pomona Campus just now. Application cycle is closed for this cycle. Complete Feb 2023.

• Care
Does anyone know when the last day is to withdraw from another medical school? I know for amcas the last day to withdraw multiple acceptances is May 15th but I do not know the situation for AACOMAS.

Got a check in email. This one said “alternate” status but my original decision letter said waitlist so I’m a little confused if maybe they’re the same now.

I have accepted a seat and enrolled at another school, but was hoping for the possibility of a better financial aid package if I get off the waitlist here. Although, I don’t see any info about merit/acceptance scholarships on their website so my hopes are low.

Have any accepted students received merit scholarships? If so, was it a decent amount?

Got a check in email. This one said “alternate” status but my original decision letter said waitlist so I’m a little confused if maybe they’re the same now.
Could you post the gist of what they said, getting worried cuz I haven’t received and also on WL

Could you post the gist of what they said, getting worried cuz I haven’t received and also on WL
“I hope this email finds you well. I’m reaching out from Western University of Health Sciences because you are presently in “alternate” status for our Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) program, and I want to confirm your continued interest in WesternU. Please take a moment to respond below so that we can ensure our information is up to date.” I am on the WL

So this seems to be a confusing issue every year, but my interpretation is that they essentially have an alternate list and a waiting list (there is debate as to which is given more priority, but it seems as though the waitlist may have higher priority). However, they are both referred to as ‘alternate status’ regardless of which list you’re on. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 7 users
So weird how there's been no waitlist movement whatsoever. In the previous cycles lots of movement would've happened by now. It makes me wonder if Western maybe overfilled their class this year with the 40-something group of students they accidentally sent acceptances to!

Reactions: 1 user
So weird how there's been no waitlist movement whatsoever. In the previous cycles lots of movement would've happened by now. It makes me wonder if Western maybe overfilled their class this year with the 40-something group of students they accidentally sent acceptances to!
i really doubt this given how late interview invites were sent after that happened. the whole cycle just seems pushed back a few weeks

Reactions: 3 users
So... none of us on the waitlist have heard anything yet? Still radio silence?

any news today? I saw the facebook group went up by 11 people in the last week.
I don’t think that’s a good indicator… The Class of 2026 GroupMe has like 430 people so it’s probably just current students looking for roommates or otherwise. There’s a long way to go for this group to reach that number so I wouldn’t worry. Movement will probably start more so in June when people drop the school after their CTE deadlines pass so just a little bit longer to go!

• Care
Recently heard info from a reliable source that corroborates our current speculation lol, that there hasn't been any waitlist movement yet, but they are expecting to start movement in ~2 weeks.

• Love
Recently heard info from a reliable source that corroborates our current speculation lol, that there hasn't been any waitlist movement yet, but they are expecting to start movement in ~2 weeks.
thank u for the information. what do we think this means for people who haven’t heard any decision yet post-II lol

I actually called Western a while ago and an admissions committee representative specifically and confidently said that there would be waitlist movement on the 22nd of May. No idea what happened though.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I would not be too stressed about it. Last year's waitlist movement started early June. If May 22nd is the day that movement occurs, then the committee will meet this upcoming Thursday and will contact us next week! It kind of correlates with the timeline last year if you check. Keep your heads up! :)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I would not be too stressed about it. Last year's waitlist movement started early June. If May 22nd is the day that movement occurs, then the committee will meet this upcoming Thursday and will contact us next week! It kind of correlates with the timeline last year if you check. Keep your heads up! :)

Goat comment and username