2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed this past weekend and there were like 40 people, and there’s still another interview day in 2 weeks. Is there like crazy waitlist movement or what? Why are they interviewing so many people still?
There's always crazy waitlist movement at Western. Probably is one of the most expensive DO programs in the country and the people who get accepted early in the cycle often defer for an MD acceptance or otherwise. I wouldn't worry too much. Movement will probably happen soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone match derm this year?
I am a 2nd year and I don't believe anyone matched derm from COMP-NW this year (I don't think anyone tried to). I know a few people matched derm from the Pomona campus this year. Lebanon had one person match derm last year.

Reactions: 1 user
A from WL a couple weeks ago, recently withdrew the A. best of luck to everyone waiting!

Alternate list notification today. Interviewed 3/31. OOS.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/21 and received WL heard back with an A yet?

I know some Jan ppl did already but there were 2 interview dates that month so wanted to see how far they are in calling the WL ppl

does anyone know if lectures are mandatory attendance? I couldn’t find it on their website so thought I’d ask here.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if lectures are mandatory attendance? I couldn’t find it on their website so thought I’d ask here.
Some lectures are mandatory on zoom, some are mandatory in person. I'd say ~85% of didactic lectures are NOT mandatory. OMM and clinical medicine classes are always mandatory and in person.

I am a 2nd year and I don't believe anyone matched derm from COMP-NW this year (I don't think anyone tried to). I know a few people matched derm from the Pomona campus this year. Lebanon had one person match derm last year.
@gir_affe_ Based on the survey 3 from Pomona match into Derm. I don't recall any Derm interests in my cohort. Talking about AK/SKs and sunscreen didn't appeal to our 2023 I suppose.

• Haha
I thought their last interview slots were in April? Were you able to sign up?

IMG_0563.jpg

Yea there’s one interview day available, 5/13

Just got an interview invite.. I'm assuming class is full tho this late. Not sure if I'll be declining yet

Yea this is like super late, I’m thinking of declining. I’m sure the class is already full too

Accepted students: how are y’all finding roommates? I’m stressed that not many ppl are posting on the FB page or responding to housing posts. Any advice?

Has there been any alternate list movement?
The admissions counselor I talked to said that following the final interview in May, they will take a few weeks to make decisions for that interview group. Then they will reach out to waitlisted students and alternates after that if there are still open slots. He said alternates likely won't hear anything until about mid June....

For everyone on the waitlist/ alt list: so far only 58 students are in the class Facebook page (and a few of those are upperclassmen admins) so it definitely looks like there’s gonna be some more movement! 😁

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For everyone on the waitlist/ alt list: so far only 58 students are in the class Facebook page (and a few of those are upperclassmen admins) so it definitely looks like there’s gonna be some more movement! 😁
Thanks for the info!

Hi all, you can look up the FB group. Though they won’t accept you unless you have a western email, which will be given to you after an official acceptance.

Just got an email confirming my interest to remain on alternate list

The class size is like 108 right? Why might there be only like half of the class in the Facebook group? Are there really that many seats left?

Did anyone who replied to the "still interested to be on waitlist" email get any follow up response? I know I clicked the "Yes, still interested" button, but I just want to confirm it went through correctly lol

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain if there is a difference between being on the waitlist or being an alternate

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain if there is a difference between being on the waitlist or being an alternate
Waitlisted people are accepted before the alternate list people

Per the interview day handbook

Waitlist Status
- Only used if the class if full and the committee recommends to accept
- Waitlist status is for this year only
- Waitlist candidates are the first to be offered a seat if one becomes available
- Waitlist is relatively short each year

Alternate Status
- Alternate status is for this year only
- Alternates are not ranked
- Alternate files will be periodically reviewed for consideration of an offer of acceptance.

Interviewed 4/13 and they said it was the last interview group this cycle.
I heard from admissions that they added another date in early May and may be contributing to the delay in WL/AL movement.

• Sad
I heard from admissions that they added another date in early May and may be contributing to the delay in WL/AL movement.
Why do they keep interviewing people...Are they really worried that they aren't going to fill their class with the current WL/AL?

Why do they keep interviewing people...Are they really worried that they aren't going to fill their class with the current WL/AL?
Not sure, but I'm staying hopeful that they will start making more offers soon!

Anyone know what kind of time “off” students get between M1 and M2? When do classes and and restart for the summer?

Still only 75 people in the Facebook group! Hopefully there’s some movement this week 🤞

I’ve talked to some upperclassmen and many people said their roommates/ classmates didn’t get off the WL until May and even June/ July . Don’t lose hope!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve talked to some upperclassmen and many people said their roommates/ classmates didn’t get off the WL until May and even June/ July . Don’t lose hope!
Very true. Might be a good idea to start on housing process just in case. It's really sucky when you aren't sure, but, the solid apartments nearby the campus are hard to get in.

Very true. Might be a good idea to start on housing process just in case. It's really sucky when you aren't sure, but, the solid apartments nearby the campus are hard to get in.
Any housing recommendations for Corvallis area?

A off the waitlist today!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how many alternate spots are given?