2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
-Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience.

-Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

-How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine?

-What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Received secondary just a few minutes ago, verified 5/29

Secondary this morning! Verified 6/11

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Anyone else find it strange that they have an experience section specifically for anything not listed on AACOMAS? I hate leaving sections totally blank but I feel like most applicants would have all worthwhile experiences already listed in the primary

Same here! Anyone else find it strange that they have an experience section specifically for anything not listed on AACOMAS? I hate leaving sections totally blank but I feel like most applicants would have all worthwhile experiences already listed in the primary
I was confused as well, maybe it would be okay if I put a teaching position that I am about to start soon? Just to have something there...

Do you guys think they're doing it in the order you were verified? I was verified 6/1 and haven't heard anything yet today

Are you guys listing clinical experiences on the CV portion of the secondary?

@PapaGuava Secondary this afternoon, 500 words each:

-Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience.

-Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

-How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine?

-What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary this morning! Verified 6/11

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Off topic question: how'd you get the colors in your signature to stay put? I tried to put colors in, and they disappeared after I saved.

Do you guys think they're doing it in the order you were verified? I was verified 6/1 and haven't heard anything yet today

I was verified in early May and haven't received the secondary... sGPA is 3.18 so it's just under their 3.2 cutoff, that might be why (for me at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified in early May and haven't received the secondary... sGPA is 3.18 so it's just under their 3.2 cutoff, that might be why (for me at least).
If it makes you feel any better

I was verified end of may(so transmitted on first day). My sGPA is 3.4x, cGPA 3.5x, and MCAT over 500 (under 510) and still yet to receive secondary!

Off topic question: how'd you get the colors in your signature to stay put? I tried to put colors in, and they disappeared after I saved.
haha, i'm not sure!! i didn't do anything special or have any issues trying to save it. the only thing i can think of is I didn't use any of the colors that were provided, and instead I googled "hex color codes" and used those instead.

haha, i'm not sure!! i didn't do anything special or have any issues trying to save it. the only thing i can think of is I didn't use any of the colors that were provided, and instead I googled "hex color codes" and used those instead.

I used hex codes too, and it showed up when I was editing it, but not in the preview. Oh well, I'll mess around with it when I have some time. Thanks!

Got an email that says my app is under review, and they're deciding whether to send me a secondary. Also they said the review process could take months.

Question, I think it is too early in my opinion to have top 3 choices for what sorta doctor I want to become. I have a few ideas but if I list something and then I get accepted and then I change my mind year 2, is that possible? Or will they lock you into a path based on what type of physician you want to get into?

I got the we are gonna review your app email to see if you are eligible yesterday and then i just got the actual secondary email this morning.

I got the we are gonna review your app email to see if you are eligible yesterday and then i just got the actual secondary email this morning.

Do you mind me asking: were either of your gpa's below their cutoff?

Do you mind me asking: were either of your gpa's below their cutoff?

My cumulative was slightly but my science was above. My bad grades are from 11 years ago though. The gpa from my actual degree is a 3.65 so im not sure if that factored in.

My cumulative was slightly but my science was above. My bad grades are from 11 years ago though. The gpa from my actual degree is a 3.65 so im not sure if that factored in.

My science is .02 below their cutoff so I'm hoping that's close enough.

I would be patient and email them if needed, that seems like a 1 class difference to me. If you can, take some summer class just to push it up.

That's a good idea. I'd thought about taking Stats just so that I could apply to a school that requires it, but that wouldn't count towards my sGPA for AACOMAS, and I'm not sure I want to take 2 classes. What to do what to do...

That's a good idea. I'd thought about taking Stats just so that I could apply to a school that requires it, but that wouldn't count towards my sGPA for AACOMAS, and I'm not sure I want to take 2 classes. What to do what to do...
Look into other science classes. I was amazed to see how my nutrition and kines classes boosted my sGPA over my cGPA. There is a whole list, go check it out. Anything in "other science" will help you, so just look for a class and boom.

Just submitted my primary yesterday. Lets see how this goes!

For those who have submitted secondary, did you receive e-mail confirmation?

Nope, I submitted the secondary on 6/22 and no confirmation yet.
If you go to your secondary application though and check status it will let you know if it is complete. Mine says complete.

If you go to your secondary application though and check status it will let you know if it is complete. Mine says complete.
Oh but I forgot I did receive a confirmation email too on July 1st saying they received it but not an email saying it was complete

Did anyone else just receive an invitation for an information session? I can’t attend since I have work but I was just curious.

"What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.)"
Is this question just asking how our own influences relate to the programs and mission of VCOM? I'm not sure why this question is hard for me to write right now.

Did anyone else receive a complete email from them. I sent in my secondary weeks ago.

Sent in my primary+received 7/2 and no secondary yet, has anyone sent a primary around that time and gotten a secondary? I thought they've been quick to send secondaries but maybe there's just high volume right now. Stats all above cutoff

Sent in my primary+received 7/2 and no secondary yet, has anyone sent a primary around that time and gotten a secondary? I thought they've been quick to send secondaries but maybe there's just high volume right now. Stats all above cutoff

Submitted primary 6/30, verified 7/10 and received my secondary 7/16

I still got nothing from VCOM. Still under prelim review. Depressing XD

I got an email from one of the admissions people stating that i did not have enough upper level bio credits and once i told them what class I am taking this fall the person emailed me back and said I was now complete and that I would be forwarded for review. This happened thursday.

Just popping in to say I haven't even received a secondary so you all are strides ahead of me, I wouldn't worry too much.

Reactions: 1 users