2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone not received a secondary after the initial we will review your app email? they sent me that email a week ago and no response after that!

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone not received a secondary after the initial we will review your app email? they sent me that email a week ago and no response after that!

I got that email July 5 and I’ve yet to hear anything from the school or receive a secondary

I got that email July 5 and I’ve yet to hear anything from the school or receive a secondary
Wow okay! I would really appreciate if they could just decline me or send a secondary instead of being silent !

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been waiting since like June...

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry as long as you have >3.2 c and sGPA you should get one. Even if it's a little lower I think they'll still send you one if other parts of your app are good

I think I'll email them tomorrow asking for a status update, because my sGPA is 3.18 but I have a 509 MCAT which I like to think would cancel out that 0.02 difference from their requirement. Worst they can say is no you're rejected.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
@Trauma_Queen and @soccer96, thanks for the responses. Hope to get an II soon. As for boosting shadowing hours, it may have to wait. COVID has shut it down for the doc and hospital I've been shadowing/volunteering. Guess I'll have to cast a wider net.

lolol VCOM's playing with our feelings by sending us the "Tips on interviewing virtually" email. UNECOM has done that too

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
lolol VCOM's playing with our feelings by sending us the "Tips on interviewing virtually" email. UNECOM has done that too
Lol I just read "interview" when UNECOM sent it and got excited, but then I was sorely disappointed when I read the email.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Anyone here attending this zoom tomorrow? I haven't prepared to interview yet so I'm a little nervous lol:rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know roughly how long the zoom "Tips on interviewing virtually" will be?

Anyone here attending this zoom tomorrow? I haven't prepared to interview yet so I'm a little nervous lol:rofl:

Can y’all who are attending let us know here if you get any helpful info? I have work so I can’t go but would love to know what they cover

Just got an email saying they overbooked the info session at 12, and pushed some people to 1:30. So I would assume the whole thing will be somewhere between 60-90 minutes?

Just got an email saying they overbooked the info session at 12, and pushed some people to 1:30. So I would assume the whole thing will be somewhere between 60-90 minutes?
I got that email too, but I already signed up for the "first" session, so now I'm not sure which to attend.

I got that email too, but I already signed up for the "first" session, so now I'm not sure which to attend.

My email said "Here's your new zoom link" so I assumed they made the decision for us and put us in 1:30 haha

EDIT: Reread the email and it also says "we look forward to seeing you at 1:30" so yeah 12 is no longer an option

I think I'll email them tomorrow asking for a status update, because my sGPA is 3.18 but I have a 509 MCAT which I like to think would cancel out that 0.02 difference from their requirement. Worst they can say is no you're rejected.

Any updates on this?

How long after sending everything should you be marked complete? My committee letter just got uploaded today

The meeting was good, does anyone have the contact info for the deans of the schools, and where do they send that invitation to their online doctor meeting they will have? The zoom meeting was also recorded so anyone who didn't see it will get the chance.

The meeting was good, does anyone have the contact info for the deans of the schools, and where do they send that invitation to their online doctor meeting they will have? The zoom meeting was also recorded so anyone who didn't see it will get the chance.

So, a few days after I submitted my secondary I received an informational email about the virtual physician shadowing session. In the email it says I should expect a link to sign up for a session "in the next week". For me that would be sometime this week I think, so maybe we will hear more soon?

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know where we could find the recorded meeting?

Someone on my zoom session asked when interview invitations would be going out. They said "...we are on a rolling admissions basis so it depends on when your application is complete and how many we have received around that same time! we do interview between September and March."

So, a few days after I submitted my secondary I received an informational email about the virtual physician shadowing session. In the email it says I should expect a link to sign up for a session "in the next week". For me that would be sometime this week I think, so maybe we will hear more soon?
I just received the link to sign up for that

anyone doing the virtual shadowing even with a okay amount of DO shadowing under their belt?

Someone on my zoom session asked when interview invitations would be going out. They said "...we are on a rolling admissions basis so it depends on when your application is complete and how many we have received around that same time! we do interview between September and March."

Yeah I was hoping they'd say something like "Last week of August!" or something more concrete haha. But it seems like the latest would be early September if they started interviewing late Sep.

Yeah I was hoping they'd say something like "Last week of August!" or something more concrete haha. But it seems like the latest would be early September if they started interviewing late Sep.
I didn't think about how all schools are interviewing more since travel is not necessary and they aren't sure the applicants really want to attend their school. As previously the travel/cost could deter some students from interviewing if they were not that interested. Means we probably can't use post acceptance interview rates this year, right?

I didn't think about how all schools are interviewing more since travel is not necessary and they aren't sure the applicants really want to attend their school. As previously the travel/cost could deter some students from interviewing if they were not that interested. Means we probably can't use post acceptance interview rates this year, right?

I thought it was interesting that they mentioned that since I'm pretty sure other schools have said that they will interview approximately the same number since the number of interviewers shouldn't be going up (can't remember who, or if this was just the sentiment floating around reddit and SDN). But it certainly makes sense. I would guess that they will interview more, but initially accept about the same amount of people and have more waitlist movement than in previous years. But it's hard to say since this cycle is so unprecedented.

I thought it was interesting that they mentioned that since I'm pretty sure other schools have said that they will interview approximately the same number since the number of interviewers shouldn't be going up (can't remember who, or if this was just the sentiment floating around reddit and SDN). But it certainly makes sense. I would guess that they will interview more, but initially accept about the same amount of people and have more waitlist movement than in previous years. But it's hard to say since this cycle is so unprecedented.
You bring up a good point as well. Probably impossible to guess, for both us and med school admissions!

Just got an email saying “
Thank you for submitting your secondary application to VCOM. The next step is that the Director of Admissions at your chosen campus(es) will be reviewing your entire application to determine if you are eligible for an interview. We are thrilled that you chose to apply to VCOM.”

In addition they acknowledged that it’s hard to shadow so they set up times to meet 4 different physicians who will walk through what it would be like to shadow them.

Thank you for submitting your secondary application to VCOM. The next step is that the Director of Admissions at your chosen campus(es) will be reviewing your entire application to determine if you are eligible for an interview. We are thrilled that you chose to apply to VCOM.”

In addition they acknowledged that it’s hard to shadow so they set up times to meet 4 different physicians who will walk through what it would be like to shadow them.
Just got that too! You'd think that II will start to be sent out rather soon within the next week or so. At least we could only hope so lol

+1, today at the webinar they mentioned that everyone who submitted a secondary / has a complete application would be receiving this! Glad we got ours lol.

+1, today at the webinar they mentioned that everyone who submitted a secondary / has a complete application would be receiving this! Glad we got ours lol.
So glad there’s finally some sort of movement. Hoping we hear about II’s soon!!!

Nothing here yet :/ I was marked complete on 8/5. Attended the 12:30CST zoom interview-webinar sesh today.

In addition, they acknowledged that it’s hard to shadow so they set up times to meet 4 different physicians who will walk through what it would be like to shadow them.
Got this in my email today and submitted my secondary yesterday!

And I’ve yet to even get an “AACOMAS received” email or a secondary :(

• Care

Those who got this email today: did you have Shadowing hours?? I wonder if it was only sent to folks who still need hours/the opportunity to shadow that panel of 4 physicians that the zoom session mentioned. :thinking:

Those who got this email today: did you have Shadowing hours?? I wonder if it was only sent to folks who still need hours/the opportunity to shadow that panel of 4 physicians that the zoom session mentioned. :thinking:

I got the email and I have shadowing hours with both MD’s and DO’s. I believe someone mentioned that they are sending the email to all who submitted secondaries

I was complete mid-July ago but haven't gotten that email about shadowing yet.

Did you get a secondary? If so, go to your portal, then status, then communication. It should be under there.

Yeah, I sent that back 7/9 and was complete 7/22. Nothing new under Communication. The last email I got was the Complete email.

Maybe they're coming out in batches - who knows.

Did people who submitted secondaries receive complete emails? I submitted 7/7 and haven't heard anything about my app being complete even though the status shows everything in on the portal. I have not been receiving the emails about the interviewing or shadowing so I am guessing this may be why?

Yeah, I sent that back 7/9 and was complete 7/22. Nothing new under Communication. The last email I got was the Complete email.

Maybe they're coming out in batches - who knows.
The last email I have in the "Communication Status" of the portal is that they received my secondary, however I am marked complete and have received emails regarding DO shadowing/Tips for Interviewing. I would check your spam folders and if you don't find anything, email VCOM. They sent out info to everyone who submitted secondaries.

I submitted my secondary on 8/8, VCOM emailed me saying that they received my secondary and will begin reviewing 8/10, marked as complete on my portal today 8/11!

Now the waiting game... :xf:

Reactions: 5 users
So submitting one primary to any location will put you into consideration for all the locations, am I understanding that right?