2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the email that my application is under review for a secondary. My cumulative GPA is 0.03 under 3.2. I have over 100 credits undergrad that are under 3.0, but my last 80 hours or so are over 3.6. My science GPA (including my abysmal undergraduate credits) comes to 3.4, so hopefully they will let that .03 slide!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got the email that my application is under review for a secondary. My cumulative GPA is 0.03 under 3.2. I have over 100 credits undergrad that are under 3.0, but my last 80 hours or so are over 3.6. My science GPA is (including my abysmal undergraduate credits) comes to 3.4, so hopefully they will let that .03 slide!
All the best for you man, I would maybe recommend taking one class just to push it up or to show them that you will, but this is just my thoughts and maybe you do not even have to do that. Talk about a close one...

Just got the email that my application is under review for a secondary. My cumulative GPA is 0.03 under 3.2. I have over 100 credits undergrad that are under 3.0, but my last 80 hours or so are over 3.6. My science GPA is (including my abysmal undergraduate credits) comes to 3.4, so hopefully they will let that .03 slide!

I'm 0.02 under for sGPA... been under review since late June.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the best for you man, I would maybe recommend taking one class just to push it up or to show them that you will, but this is just my thoughts and maybe you do not even have to do that. Talk about a close one...

Thank you, I appreciate it! Unfortunately, I have well over 200 credits and it takes quite a bit to get my GPA to budge at all. If I don't have any luck this cycle I'll definitely look into more classes, but as it is, I'm trying not to spend much more unless I absolutely have to. I do appreciate the feedback though, and I know that is definitely the most logical option!

EDIT: Oh, I just realized my wording was strange. My first degree was the one with a sub-3.0 GPA. I got another degree since that one and also did a post-bacc program. So my GPA from my second degree and post-bacc are >3.5, just with my terrible undergrad it is .03 under 3.2. I definitely should have clarified!

I'm 0.02 under for sGPA... been under review since late June.

Oh, interesting! I saw some other people say that they heard back the next day. I wonder what the difference is. Are the other aspects of your GPA over the 3.2 limit, or are the last 120 credits over that limit? Best of luck to you!

Oh, interesting! I saw some other people say that they heard back the next day. I wonder what the difference is. Are the other aspects of your GPA over the 3.2 limit, or are the last 120 credits over that limit? Best of luck to you!

Fresh: 3.16
Soph: 3.55
Junior: 2.6 (yikes)
Senior: 3.98

So I have an upward trend aside from junior year (extenuating circumstances that I touch upon in my PS). I have 144 credits total if that matters. Only other thing I can think of is I don't have physician shadowing/LOR due to COVID. I had tried calling them last week for a status update but no one answered, I might try again today. Also last time I emailed them no one answered so...

+1 also under review since June. You're not alone!

For the test scores section in the secondary, it asks for SAT scores; however, I do not have access to my old college board account and do not remember mine off the top of my head. Would it be incorrect to write "no" and state I do not have test scores? Is anyone running into this problem?

For the test scores section in the secondary, it asks for SAT scores; however, I do not have access to my old college board account and do not remember mine off the top of my head. Would it be incorrect to write "no" and state I do not have test scores? Is anyone running into this problem?
perhaps check you college degree progress report. That's where I found my scores

Fresh: 3.16
Soph: 3.55
Junior: 2.6 (yikes)
Senior: 3.98

So I have an upward trend aside from junior year (extenuating circumstances that I touch upon in my PS). I have 144 credits total if that matters. Only other thing I can think of is I don't have physician shadowing/LOR due to COVID. I had tried calling them last week for a status update but no one answered, I might try again today. Also last time I emailed them no one answered so...

Oh, but you did pretty well sophomore year and extremely well senior year!! I would probably wait a few weeks before calling again just so they don't get too overwhelmed or anything. Hang in there!

Oh, but you did pretty well sophomore year and extremely well senior year!! I would probably wait a few weeks before calling again just so they don't get too overwhelmed or anything. Hang in there!

Thank you!!

Do we not have to submit primary applications for the other campuses since they let you rank the campuses on the secondary?

Do we not have to submit primary applications for the other campuses since they let you rank the campuses on the secondary?

That’s correct. I emailed admissions and they told me that you only need to submit one primary to be considered at all 4 locations

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s correct. I emailed admissions and they told me that you only need to submit one primary to be considered at all 4 locations
Welp I wasted money since I applied to all except LA, I hope doing something dumb like that doesn't ruin my chances lolz

Welp I wasted money since I applied to all except LA, I hope doing something dumb like that doesn't ruin my chances lolz

Nah I don’t think they’d care about something like that haha I feel like they don’t make it common knowledge that you only need to apply to 1. I saw it on an SDN thread from last year and emailed to be sure, that’s the only reason I knew

I applied to all four, it's an easy mistake (and honestly I'm sure they appreciate the extra donations).

For the secondary CV, if you have done unpaid research or extracurriculars (clubs) in college, would you put "College" for type of experience or "Other"? It seems to me like you only put down "College" when you list your college as an experience and not the extracurriculars, but I'm not positive

For the secondary CV, if you have done unpaid research or extracurriculars (clubs) in college, would you put "College" for type of experience or "Other"? It seems to me like you only put down "College" when you list your college as an experience and not the extracurriculars, but I'm not positive

I put "College" only for my years in school! For my unpaid research I put "Other." Im not exactly sure the best way to add extracurriculars, but for mine I am putting any work experiences or true volunteer work as "Work/Volunteer" but participation in clubs as "Other" but I'm not really sure if this is the right way

I haven't heard from this school since they got my primary early June. I mean they did say it'll take a few months...

For citizenship info on the secondary does anyone else's say "Please upload a copy of your Green Card after submitting your Secondary Application by choosing status and upload files"? I think it says that for me because I was born outside the US, but I got my citizenship a few years ago. Would I still have to upload a green card?

For citizenship info on the secondary does anyone else's say "Please upload a copy of your Green Card after submitting your Secondary Application by choosing status and upload files"? I think it says that for me because I was born outside the US, but I got my citizenship a few years ago. Would I still have to upload a green card?

+1 in the same situation

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I forget to add my college under the CV section after submitting. However, I was able to add it on after submission even though the application said no changes/additions are allowed after you submit...Does it mean that my application hasn't been completed since I can make changes?

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I forget to add my college under the CV section after submitting. However, I was able to add it on after submission even though the application said no changes/additions are allowed after you submit...Does it mean that my application hasn't been completed since I can make changes?
It also gives me the option to edit my CV but not my essays, so they probably just let everyone edit their CVs

Has anyone had trouble with the secondary? I began filling it out but its not letting me add my essays even though I haven't submitted, and I'm not able to edit other sections of the app

I haven't gotten a seconary still? DO you think I should email admissions? Submitted 6/20 and got the prelim review.

I do meet the minimum requirements. Got the prelim email on 6/24!

Do you live in one of their "target" states? I saw on another thread that the school told someone from NY not to expect an interview until later in cycle because they go through the target areas first. Could be wrong tho!

Do you live in one of their "target" states? I saw on another thread that the school told someone from NY not to expect an interview until later in cycle because they go through the target areas first. Could be wrong tho!
I'm OOS from a non-target state and got mine on 7/9 after submitting primary on 7/6 so they might be doing their own thing with apps

I'm OOS from a non-target state and got mine on 7/9 after submitting primary on 7/6 so they might be doing their own thing with apps
Yeah I am OOS from Southern California but have seen others from here receive secondary shortly after also from SoCal. Maybe my app just really sucks haha.

Anyone get past the "under review" and receive an interview? Wonder when they start.

For people who are under review did you get a separate email saying your under review?

Has anyone had trouble with the secondary? I began filling it out but its not letting me add my essays even though I haven't submitted, and I'm not able to edit other sections of the app

Not sure if you're still having issues, but my secondary portal was acting up as well. I tried logging in on a different computer to make some edits and all the sudden there were numerous fields I could not edit. I finally stopped trying for a bit, and returned to the original computer I started the secondary on and everything was working. I know this isn't super helpful, but hopefully just logging out and logging back in a little bit later will help. If it doesn't, I would contact the admissions office.

Still under "AACOMAS pending review" since July 5. No word since.

Still under "AACOMAS pending review" since July 5. No word since.
Looking at past years and from the faculty I know, the first batch of II should be sent between the last day of July to the first week and a half of August. So starting Friday is when you should realistically keep active and check for the status of your app.

Reactions: 2 users
Is time spent during a club leadership role considered volunteer hours? Wondering if I should include these for the question on secondary about # of hours spent volunteering outside of medical field.

Is time spent during a club leadership role considered volunteer hours? Wondering if I should include these for the question on secondary about # of hours spent volunteering outside of medical field.

If your club did volunteer work then yea I would include that.

AACOMAS submitted 7/24
AACOMAS verified 7/27
Secondary received 7/30

Does anyone know if this is a more time-sensitive secondary (like NYITCOM)?

On the CV section, did you guys just put what you put in the primary or write something new that was even shorter for each activity. Also, what does the option college mean in the dropdown? I am confused about that.

On the CV section, did you guys just put what you put in the primary or write something new that was even shorter for each activity. Also, what does the option college mean in the dropdown? I am confused about that.

For CV I am only putting a short title for each activity - Research Assistant at X school.

Im pretty sure the college option is meant for listing the years you were in school - 2014-2018 Undergrad at X school.

I am thinking they look at this CV as a timeline of your journey to medical school so I am making mine short and sweet!

For CV I am only putting a short title for each activity - Research Assistant at X school.

Im pretty sure the college option is meant for listing the years you were in school - 2014-2018 Undergrad at X school.

I am thinking they look at this CV as a timeline of your journey to medical school so I am making mine short and sweet!
Ok Thank you so much! That is what I will do too.

Hi all. Fairly new to SDN so forgive if I get the stats wrong. Just looking for feedback on WAMC. Submitted secondary 8/2.
IS Traditional
sGPA - 3.48 cGPA - 3.56 (final semester would boost both w/grad in December)
MCAT - 512 (128, 127, 128, 129)
MD Shadowing - 36 hrs + LOR
DO Shadowing - 0 (COVID)
Volunteer 200+ hrs
Research - 200+ hrs w/publication as secondary author

Hi all. Fairly new to SDN so forgive if I get the stats wrong. Just looking for feedback on WAMC. Submitted secondary 8/2.
IS Traditional
DO Shadowing - 0 (COVID)
Volunteer 200+ hrs

Solid.

IS Traditional
DO Shadowing - 0 (COVID)
Volunteer 200+ hrs

Hi I’m a current Vcom student, your chances are good. If you do get an interview/accepted you will have to get a DO letter (I met a DO at a local hospital and got one within a week). You should try and beef up your shadowing hours for either an MD or DO application in my opinion, maybe try volunteering in the hospital. Good luck in the cycle!