2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wondered if any current students could speak on the small class size and their experience with it. I'm very torn between Mayo and a school with a class size 3x the size in a big city (two very different choices, I know). I know the small size means a ton of personalized attention, but can you really "find your people"?

Also, I think someone mentioned that Mayo's class size skews slightly older at my interview day. Do most students have full lives outside of medical school (partners, children, etc) that means they are not as engaged with the rest of their class?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi friends!

Match summary for this year:
2021 Match

@mcasomMN2021 do you know how many students didn't match this year/how many had to SOAP? Particularly curious about the AZ campus having 38 matches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wondered if any current students could speak on the small class size and their experience with it. I'm very torn between Mayo and a school with a class size 3x the size in a big city (two very different choices, I know). I know the small size means a ton of personalized attention, but can you really "find your people"?

Also, I think someone mentioned that Mayo's class size skews slightly older at my interview day. Do most students have full lives outside of medical school (partners, children, etc) that means they are not as engaged with the rest of their class?

Thank you!
Though small, the classes are generally pretty diverse, with a variety of ages, interests, and experiences. Also consider that your social sphere doesn't need to only be your classmates. Remember that Mayo doesn't have an associated undergraduate campus, so the vibe is different. You're treated more like a colleague than perhaps some other institutions. Your friendships will span class years, the graduate school, residencies and more. If you want to get outside the Mayo "bubble," people tend to travel to Minneapolis (75 min drive) and a couple choice cities in Wisconsin.

Every class has one or two people who either start with children or end up having children during medical school. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of people come in with serious partners but that varies from class to class. Happy to be a resource if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, so in peak neurotic premed fashion, I went back through the old Mayo forums. It looks like there was a tiny post-WL rejection wave around April 22nd last year, but I couldn't find any evidence of it in the previous years' forums... This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know anything about this? Should we expect the same thing this year?

Still trying to figure things out...
Hope you or some other deserving candidate gets this spot at Mayo!
Congratulations and thanks for being super considerate of those of us stuck in purgatory! Best of luck in med school!

Do you remember how many accepted students attended second look or were in the Facebook page before you left?
Unfortunately, I couldn't make second look.
Rochester FB group has ~85 students. Many of them are definitely current students, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody on WL get accepted post 4/15 deadline?
I would expect not. It looks like last year someone made a graph of historical WL movement that is reported on SDN threads (both MN and AZ campuses) and there had never been reported WL movement until May 2nd.
I also got the acceptance phone call this morning! Truly a dream come true.

For those still waiting, don't lose hope quite yet. I went through both campuses' threads for the last three application cycles and made this graph of when Mayo historically makes acceptances from the waitlist (based on SDN-reported acceptances). Although most of the acceptances seem to be concentrated at the beginning of the month, I'm betting that there are more to come!
View attachment 304957

Anyone receive the “still interested?” email that’s been reported in previous years?

Nope. Just a reminder to submit my FAFSA lol.
Hopefully that didn’t cause a heart attack!

I didn’t get that one but that’s probably because I already had added them to my FAFSA

Hopefully that didn’t cause a heart attack!

I didn’t get that one but that’s probably because I already had added them to my FAFSA
Honestly, I was a little terrified when I saw an email from them because it looks like there was a mini cut to the waitlist last year! Now, I'm just hopeful that it's a sign I'm not about to get kicked off in a few days haha!

That's probably why! I'm a terrible adult and I keep forgetting!

• Haha
Continuing interest email reported to the AZ forum! Historically, that has been a good sign.

Did the MN ones typically come out at the same time as AZ?
I honestly don't know. Hopefully not! 😬 I have a feeling that they probably don't since it seems that they handpick the people that they send the emails too!

Any interest emails for MN yet?

I suppose that's all she wrote for the rest of us then

OK, told myself I wouldn't do the neurotic premed thing, but alas here we are. Any hope for us who didn't get the interest email?

Mayo could be actively on fire and I would still go there in a heartbeat lol.

OK, told myself I wouldn't do the neurotic premed thing, but alas here we are. Any hope for us who didn't get the interest email?

Mayo could be actively on fire and I would still go there in a heartbeat lol.
I don’t think we need to despair just yet. Looking back at last year’s cycle, there were a handful of As that went out to individuals who did not receive the April “still interested” letter.

Just do your best to keep busy, and trust in that big waitlist movement energy.

I don’t think we need to despair just yet. Looking back at last year’s cycle, there were a handful of As that went out to individuals who did not receive the April “still interested” letter.

Just do your best to keep busy, and trust in that big waitlist movement energy.

Hopefully they didn't have the "We will be making more offers for admission in the next few weeks, and the Admissions Committee had asked for us to contact all highly ranked candidates to inquire of their ongoing interest in Mayo. You are considered a strong candidate for those positions." portion from last year so we can feel more confident!

• Wow
Hopefully they didn't have the "We will be making more offers for admission in the next few weeks, and the Admissions Committee had asked for us to contact all highly ranked candidates to inquire of their ongoing interest in Mayo. You are considered a strong candidate for those positions." portion from last year so we can feel more confident!
I also wonder if you sent in a letter of intent/interest recently if they would not send you this email soliciting letters (even if you are 'highly ranked') because they already know where you stand. That is what I am choosing to believe anyways as someone who did not get them email but sent a nice sappy letter last week :/

I also wonder if you sent in a letter of intent/interest recently if they would not send you this email soliciting letters (even if you are 'highly ranked') because they already know where you stand. That is what I am choosing to believe anyways as someone who did not get them email but sent a nice sappy letter last week :/
I was just thinking this exact same thing! Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it's helping me get through the week.

I feel like someone would report this if they did? Anybody get one for MN that had this wording?

Goodness, I hope you're right. I've been better at communicating with them than I have with communicating with my SO lol. I've lost track of how many "I PROMISE I will attend if you accept me" statements have appeared in my updates/letters of intent/letters of continued interest/etc.

That all makes sense, I suppose it’s just me stressing (hopefully!!)

just withdrew my acceptance here, hoping it goes to one of you!!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Since today is the Commit to Enroll day, it looks like a bunch of folks have withdrawn (observed from people posting goodbyes or just straight up withdrawing from our GroupMe). Hopefully next round of decisions comes out soon! Best of luck, y’all!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Since today is the Commit to Enroll day, it looks like a bunch of folks have withdrawn (observed from people posting goodbyes or just straight up withdrawing from our GroupMe). Hopefully next round of decisions comes out soon! Best of luck, y’all!
Thanks for the update! And congrats again on the A!

Reactions: 2 users
AHHHHH JUST GOT THE CALL ACCEPTED OFF THE WL AT THE ROCHESTER CAMPUS!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Got the call! Right at 1 PM today! So overjoyed - it still feels so surreal.

I just want to add how much I am rooting for you all. Wishing the best of luck as the movement continues.

Last edited:
  • Love
AHHHHH JUST GOT THE CALL ACCEPTED OFF THE WL AT THE ROCHESTER CAMPUS!!!!

Got the call! Right at 1 PM today! So overjoyed - it still feels so surreal.

I just want to add how much I am rooting for you all. Wishing the best of luck as the movement continues.
Congrats to you both!! So nice of Mayo admissions to spend their Saturday notifying applicants when they easily could have waited til Monday. Did either of you get the "interest emails" this past week?

Congrats to you both!! So nice of Mayo admissions to spend their Saturday notifying applicants when they easily could have waited til Monday. Did either of you get the "interest emails" this past week?
I did - just this Thursday

To the people accepted off the waitlist -- was the Minnesota campus your top choice, and did the dean of the Minnesota campus call you?

To the people accepted off the waitlist -- was the Minnesota campus your top choice, and did the dean of the Minnesota campus call you?
It was my first choice. I was contacted by one of my interviewers.

• Love
Congratulations to you both!! So exciting!

This can’t be the only day for calls correct?

I received the highly ranked email a while back but no “interest email” after I was waitlisted, so there’s definitely still hope if you haven’t received any communication post waitlist!
Thanks! This gives me so much hope! Congratulations!!!!

• Care
Fingers crossed that they're not done yet :(

Reactions: 7 users
This has been very quiet today.

Too quiet... 😬

• Hmm